PDA

View Full Version : All Films Reviewed Here! Part 1

BergVision
11-02-2007, 04:10 AM
Hello Everyone!
I thought I would watch all your films and then leave my reviews of each one here in one big single list. This is not a fine detial list, but just those things that stuck out to me that was good and that needed work.
I understand it's often hard to get feed back on our work. We are the creative types after all, and we put a lot of our self into our films.

My reviews are just to be helpful and provide my thoughts, opinion and ideas on your film.
In fact, this probably helps me more then it helps you. Which is why I encourage everyone to help each other improve our craft as filmmakers and give your thoughts and input on others films here. The best way to learn is to teach!

If I missed your Film below please let me know which one I missed and I will be sure to review it. :smile: I welcome your reviews, input, feedback, and thoughts on my film as well! That's what it's about! Above all, HAVE FUN & LEARN! :D
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->>
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MY REVIEWS; for what they are worth.

1. "811"

A good idea for a scary story about a rejected boyfriend and his revenge.
Ah, how many times have we wanted to do something like this!

I really liked the color tone of the film and the possibilities this film had. However the story just didn't get pulled off the way it should have been.
It didn't make sense how the ex-boyfriend was called to the house of his ex-girlfriends boyfriend by a chance water break in a yard sprinkler.
The idea was good, but the story just didn't make it off the ground for me.
The audio was really low on the phone call at the start.
I liked the basement/crawl space shots. Creepy!

PS. I promise I won't ever steal your girlfriend!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. "MEAT"

A really sick, twisted yet simple story told through images in an understated way.
I really liked the simple story told very clearly and straight forward. No guess work as to what is going on. The good acting pulled off this story well. I could taste the meat myself just from the expression on the actors face as he was eating his steak!
I liked many of your camera views of the guy cooking and eating and of the food. The editing was tight and moved the film along well, and the flow was good. The lighting and or color correcting worked for this theme. The "COW" picture added to the dark humor to this film and really made it funny in a sick way.
The lighting on the crazy guy in the window at the end was a bit overstated though. It felt like you were trying to "SPOT" light him and didn't feel natural.

All and All good work!
PS. Don't ever invite me over for dinner! :D

-------------------------------------------------------

3.The Art Of Suicide (http://www.dvxfest.com/allhallowsfest/loader.php?id=4096)

A story with possibilities.
The title alone really sparked my interest. Yet I felt a bit let down once I get into the film. After giving this film a chance it really fell flat. From a technical standpoint it was lacking timing in editing as well as having a poor voice over. Besides a few technical issues, I was drawn in and kept watching hoping to see a number of creative suicide attempts and or a pay off.
I was really hoping for more from this film from the title.
But it was a good attempt. I can understand time and budget, but I think you could have done a bit more with the story.
I would work on moving the film along with tighter editing, and try to include
more involving visuals and audio. I think you had the right idea with this film. And I would like to see you do another one at the next fest.

Bottom line is have fun and learn from what you are doing. And keep doing what you love!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. Welcome To The Party

A film with an unsuspecting title, A cute star, and a surprise ending!

From a technical stand point this film was done very well! Nice camera moves, good editing, and really good score pulled me in. Not to mention a cute start. Did I mention that?? Ok. :tongue:
I think the films technical quality was above that of the story itself which lead to a disappointing end for me.
I was expecting a bit more then the ending I got. But the makeup was really amazing! The opening was a bit misleading as it looked to be a prison building. I would have used city buildings, or a city street at dusk. But that's just my opinion. After I found out she had died I wasn't sure why since she had only taken 1 pill in the film. I guess if she had taken more then one pill it would have given away the ending. But that must have been a really strong pill to kill her with only one! Maybe she drank to much water? lol
Some of the timing was off between the actors, but all in all a very good film. The story didn't really move me or catch my emotions though. But again, that's just my feelings.

Good job! Can't wait to see what you do in the next fest!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5. Pathomanie

A very stylized film that really causes it's viewers to pay attention to what is going on.

I had a hard time with this film. I'm open to all "styles" of films from classic, to over stylized, but it was very hard to tell what was going on in this film.
Many of the images didn't make sense to me and It was hard to follow any real story line. It was a very different look, but I didn't get much out of it.
It was more of a dream sequence then a full film short.

But I like the fact you went with a different look and style then anyone else did. I would just work on delivering the story a bit more clearly.

Can't wait to see what you come up with next fest!

6. CABIN

I was excited to watch this film just from the name and poster.
Anything in the woods or with Cabins gets me interested!

However I was a bit let down by what you did with all you had.
You had so much going for you with your HD camera, actors, a great location, good props, but the film and story fell short. The story was really hard to follow and I lost interest as it went on and I couldn't follow it.

The editing with all the overlays at the intro confused me as to what was going on and wrecked the "feel" of the story. I felt the editing was forced to make up for the lake of story and instead of letting the story and location deliver it for you. There was so much possibility here and I think
you could have done more with what you had. I would work on the script, clean up and clarify the story, and let the location add to it.

PS. Mind if I borrow that cabin for a weekend?

7. I LOVE YOU I'M SORRY

I wasn't sure what to expect when I started watching this film.
I can't give a full review since the ending of this film didn't work and stopped playing for some reason. But....

It was a bit confusing at first trying to follow what was going on with all the cutting between the different character's conversations. But I think for the complexity of the story for only 5 minutes it was told pretty good. I had to re-watch it to really understand what was going on in the beginning.

The story started out complex, and got simple once I could see what was going on. I couldn't see the end of the film to give a full review. But it looked like he killed the girl so his friend couldn't get married to her. ??

It was a little dry and long for my taste. But that's just me.

The camera work and editing was done pretty well and the actors did a pretty good job.

8. Shalloween

I wasn't sure what to expect by the title of this film.

The first scene had me laughing. "I'M POOPING"

But after watching it I didn't see how it fit into the "DARK" theme of this fest.
But how many friends and family do we have like that jerk off? lol

It was more of a silly comedy about two different types of people at Halloween then a "dark" film.

I can see the type of comedy you were going for. And there were a few scenes that had me laughing. But the acting felt forced and scripted.
The cinematography was very basic and the editing could have been tightened up a bit. The acting felt forced and scripted.

Maybe "Horror" isn't your genre, but I can see where you have great possibility for some good comedies! You guys look fun to work with on a comedy Film!
"I'M POOPING!" :bath: lol

#9 The Meridian Hard Drive

Yet another film that had me guessing as to it's story by the title.

The file size was very tiny and hard to read the text but I'm really glad it was small and in black and white. This film has to be the DARKEST and most twisted I have seen.

I can see the "IDEA" you had and were going for, but I think you reallied on "SHOCK" factor of some very sick and twisted scenes along with some foul words to make up for the story detail and technical ability.
For being a 3rd party video that was being shot by an accomplice of those crimes, I just didn't get that feeling by the types of shots you used and how it was edited.
But it was definitely sick and twisted! DARK for sure! I can't argue there!

I would have tried to develop the story a bit more then just jumping into the gore and blood. But hey, that's just me.

PS. Are your parents sleeping in a hotel after seeing this film?

10. BED TIME

What is the worst thing you could tell your kids?
Just watch this film!
Although this film is a bit twisted, it holds more than a grain of truth.

It was a simple story, simple shooting, and yet really held my attention from start to finish. I like the fact this film isn't just a pointless "SHOCK FACTOR" film and yet is a bit shocking in a simple way. It holds truth in many areas and Cindy was cute as a button! The whole time I was watching it I was thinking to myself "I hope that girl isn't really hearing what he is saying"

The first dialog was washed out by the sound effects and music. But after that it got better. The lighting was good. But I might have put the shadow of the father on or near the girl to give more of a feel he was in the room.
And maybe just 1 or 2 different camera views.

Good work! Edited using Sony Vegas? That's my guess.

PS. Remind me never to have you watch my kids.

11. Breaking Val

Breaking something! What a film.
This was the second film in the Hallows fest that I saw used a clear plastic backdrop in the movie. Good idea for messy films! And messy this film is.
The editing was done very well. The camera work was good, and the acting really pulled it off. The story fell off at the end with no real pay off or ending.

This film also left me confused. At first I was rooting for the girl until I found out she cheated on him. Then I was rooting for the guy. But then the girl kicked his ass. I wasn't sure what to feel at the end. But it was put together well and shot and edited well. And very good actors!

Well, done!

12. Fissure of Naivete

I have to be honest here. I really didn't get this film.
I'm not sure what the story was about or what happened here.
The beginning was very slow and there didn't seem to be any real story to the film. I'm sure what to say about this one.
I would work on telling your story clearer and getting your film moving sooner.

13. IN PIECES

An interesting short film about a killer. You could have titled this film "The Art of Murder."

This film although slower, kept my interest through out.
The dialog was hard to hear at times but over all it was shot, lit, and edited very well. Once again, a good actor really pulled it together.

Good Job on this one.

14. Phalanges

I wasn't sure what this film was about by the title. Once I read the summary of the film I was excited to watch it.

It was a good effort, but could be improved on.

The story and idea had possibilities once again. I was excited to see what would happen. The idea of a grand kid facing off with his grandmother sparked a sick and yet funny interest. However, the poor acting, editing and lake of solid structure of the story it was a bit disappointing.

I wanted to laugh, but the lack of structure and poor editing kept getting in the way.
You had the right idea. Just keep working on the technical end of things.
I would have at least done some makeup on the "GRANDMA" to help make her look old. It came out more like a high-school play then a film.
Tighten up that editing and story line and your films will improve!

Keep writing, shooting, and editing and doing what you love!
Good effort! I want to see your next one!

Continued to ALL FILMS REVIEWED HERE! PART 2. ------->>>>>>>>

Dmitry Yun
11-02-2007, 08:11 AM
Just wanted to say that "I love you, I'm sorry" should be fixed now so you guys can finish watching it and understand the story a bit more. Thank you.

Brandon Rice
11-02-2007, 01:40 PM
4. Welcome To The Party

A film with an unsuspecting title, A cute star, and a surprise ending!

From a technical stand point this film was done very well! Nice camera moves, good editing, and really good score pulled me in. Not to mention a cute start. Did I mention that?? Ok. :tongue:
I think the films technical quality was above that of the story itself which lead to a disappointing end for me.
I was expecting a bit more then the ending I got. But the makeup was really amazing! The opening was a bit misleading as it looked to be a prison building. I would have used city buildings, or a city street at dusk. But that's just my opinion. After I found out she had died I wasn't sure why since she had only taken 1 pill in the film. I guess if she had taken more then one pill it would have given away the ending. But that must have been a really strong pill to kill her with only one! Maybe she drank to much water? lol
Some of the timing was off between the actors, but all in all a very good film. The story didn't really move me or catch my emotions though. But again, that's just my feelings.

Good job! Can't wait to see what you do in the next fest!

Thanks for the review! Appreciate the comments! :thumbsup:

cinealma
11-02-2007, 03:05 PM
PATHOMANIA:

A very stylized film that really causes it's viewers to pay attention to what is going on.

I had a hard time with this film. I'm open to all "styles" of films from classic, to over stylized, but it was very hard to tell what was going on in this film.
Many of the images didn't make sense to me and It was hard to follow any real story line. It was a very different look, but I didn't get much out of it.
It was more of a dream sequence then a full film short.

But I like the fact you went with a different look and style then anyone else did. I would just work on delivering the story a bit more clearly.

Can't wait to see what you come up with next fest!

Thanks for the comments, Berg. Not everyone's cup of tea, I'm sure. There is a lot more story to this one, definitely bigger than five minutes. Not an excuse, I tried to cut something simple from a larger cloth. Here's one comment I got:

"It's like I saw this strange movie last night while on acid and today this is kind of what I only remember."

Yeah, that's kind of it. :beer:

Cheers! And thanks again for watching!

andoguru
11-02-2007, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the comments, Berg.

This thread for comments is cool. Mind if I bogart you idea?

I'm compiling my comments in one big file right now as I watch all the films, but I haven't started posted them yet because i was going to do it all at once.

Thanks,
Ando