PDA

View Full Version : List problems with the downloads/films here ...

Larry Rutledge
10-30-2007, 07:52 PM
In an effort to keep the information consolidated, if you have a problem with either the download system itself or with a particular film then please list it here so I can find and try to resolve it.

If there seems to be a problem with a particular film, please try re-downloading it as it will come from a different mirror and may be ok. But also note it here so I can go check it on all the mirrors and make sure there isn't a problem with the file.

Thanks,
Larry

DarkMatter
10-30-2007, 07:53 PM
... In The Night goes blank after a few seco0nds.

Ben Sliker
10-30-2007, 07:55 PM
IN PIECES GOES CRAZY AT THE END, have had 3 attempted downloads on 3 different computers and all are messed up.

Larry Rutledge
10-30-2007, 07:56 PM
When a film does not complete as it should there are two likely causes. First, the download may have ended prematurely, thus you would not have a complete file. Second, the film on one of the mirrors may have an issue.

Please try re-downloading the film and see if the new download works better and let me know either way. In the meantime I'll go do another check on the mirrors make sure none of the files look messed up.

Billy Pilgrim
10-30-2007, 08:04 PM
I tried downloading The Circle twice and it ends at 1:45 both times.

Larry Rutledge
10-30-2007, 08:05 PM
The Circle does end at 1:45 ... try watching it with QT, it is supposed to loop back to a point at the beginning (hence "The Circle")

mikkowilson
10-30-2007, 08:06 PM
The Circle is fine. Watch it again, preferably with quick time player.

"In The Night" works fine from my mirror.

"In Pieces" on my mirror does have issues at 4:03 though as reported.

- Mikko

Larry Rutledge
10-30-2007, 08:09 PM
Ok, "IN PIECES" seems to have an issue. I've pulled it from the download page until I get it resolved. As soon as I get the file re-pushed out to the mirrors I'll re-instate it on the download page.

"IN THE NIGHT" worked fine for me when I downloaded it just now. It's possible that one of the mirrors has a corrupt file. I'll check and re-push the file out there.

Sorry for the inconvenience folks, but I'll get it resolved as quickly as I can.

DarkMatter
10-30-2007, 08:20 PM
Ok fixed! Thanks Larry!

Larry Rutledge
10-30-2007, 09:04 PM
Ok, IN PIECES has been verified and repushed to the mirrors. It is now available via the download page once again. We did a test download and it works correctly this time.

Sorry for the trouble.

Dmitry Yun
10-30-2007, 09:26 PM
"I love you, I'm sorry" goes nuts about 3 minutes into the movie. Ahhh the horror please fix it :)

Brandon Rice
10-30-2007, 09:35 PM
try re-downloading... it works on my end.

ripupthehwy
10-30-2007, 09:37 PM
Just downloaded the first 10 submissions and viewed them. Geeze!!!! man what happened this time around????

Brandon Rice
10-30-2007, 09:37 PM
?? what do you mean?

Dmitry Yun
10-30-2007, 09:38 PM
In a good or bad way? :) Thanks Brandon redownloding now, maybe it was a bad download...

Brandon Rice
10-30-2007, 09:38 PM
cool. no prob :thumbsup:

Dmitry Yun
10-30-2007, 09:43 PM
redownloaded still same issue :( wonder if people are able to see it alright but you Brandon...at three minutes it starts to shake for me in MPC in QT it just hosses.

Robert Eldon
10-30-2007, 09:44 PM
This is not a download problem, but a viewing problem. Some of the .mp4 will play with QuickTime. There are some, Glideshot_BreakingVal, that give me an error:

Couldn't open the file XXXXXX because it is not a file that QuickTime understands.

Any ideas why this would happen? Thanks.

Brandon Rice
10-30-2007, 09:47 PM
Try re-downloading if you get that... sometimes a download won't complete.

traviscool
10-30-2007, 09:49 PM
EDIT: Meat seems to be working now.

Robert Eldon
10-30-2007, 09:49 PM
Never mind. It didn't download the whole file. It's all good. Sorry.

Brandon Rice
10-30-2007, 09:51 PM
Gotcha... yep, common problem sometimes.

Gord.T
10-31-2007, 03:10 AM
I had a several issues downloading so I did this:

Took note of the file size at the beginning of the download. Unchecked the "Close this dialog when complete" box. When the download completed I verified that the newly reported filesize matched the first report. As some stopped prematurely.

Larry Rutledge
10-31-2007, 06:21 AM
The process that's running is not anything special. It simply triggers the same download in your browser as if you right-click and save as. As this always only seems to be an issue the first day of the announcement I have to assume it is a by-product of so many people downloading at the same time. I had hoped the extra mirrors would alleviate the issue, and in many cases it did. I will continue to look into solutions to improve the system in future fests.

Sorry for any inconvenience ... if a film doesn't play right try re-downloading it.

Peace,
Larry

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-31-2007, 06:44 AM
I've tried "I love you, I'm sorry" a few times. It keeps quitting on me at around the 14MB mark. I'll keep trying...

Overall, everything is going smoothly.

Nice work!

Mike

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-31-2007, 06:58 AM
That time it downloaded the entire thing but there were some issues towards the end.

I'll try again....

Larry Rutledge
10-31-2007, 07:02 AM
Kyser - Just sent you a PM .. .let me know if that works better for you. If so, I'll know better how to prevent others from experience the same, or similar, issue with this film.

Thanks,
Larry

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-31-2007, 07:26 AM
It worked but things were still a little shaky towards the end. Might need a new upload?

Great job guys... quick responses!

Cheers,

Mike

Matt Sconce
10-31-2007, 09:27 AM
The servers not allowing me to download are Dauntless and Ramjet so the movies I cannot download are:
In Extremis, The Darkest, Psychosis and Charlie Black, Killer Instinct and A Little Mouth to Feed

Larry Rutledge
10-31-2007, 09:29 AM
Matt - there are 10 mirrors, so if you re-try a download it should pull from a different server. Just make sure to go back to the download listing page and select the film again. It will select a different mirror and attempt a download.

I just logged into both those mirrors without any difficulty, so it's just a traffic issue (too many requests to the same server at the same time).

Matt Sconce
10-31-2007, 09:35 AM
You are totally right. Everything except the darkest has downloaded successfully now. :-)

Matt Sconce
10-31-2007, 09:36 AM
All have now worked for me. :-)

Dmitry Yun
10-31-2007, 11:20 AM
A lot of the people are telling me they still can't view my film "I love you, I'm sorry" after three minutes it begins jumping and I tried it on three different machines and it really does break after three minutes... :(

Larry Rutledge
10-31-2007, 11:25 AM
Dmitry - I downloaded your film and it worked fine for me. I apologize for the trouble this is causing you. I've sent you a PM so we can try to work this out.

Luis Caffesse
10-31-2007, 01:17 PM
Larry -

I've tried downloading "INEXTREMIS" twice off my mirror and I keep getting the error dialog in QT that says "Error Opening Movie"

Looking on the server, the file is only 14.1MB, is that right?
Seems pretty small compared to the others.

Larry Rutledge
10-31-2007, 01:26 PM
Actually several of the files on your server don't look right. I'm going to pull your mirror and re-load it.

mikkowilson
10-31-2007, 01:32 PM
It's all that fur Luis. Your server is all choked up with fluff and has no space for files.

- Mikko

Luis Caffesse
10-31-2007, 01:34 PM
Actually several of the files on your server don't look right. I'm going to pull your mirror and re-load it.

Sounds good.
I'll stay off it until then.

It's all that fur Luis. Your server is all choked up with fluff and has no space for files.
- Mikko

Are you calling my stuff fluff?
:)

Larry Rutledge
10-31-2007, 01:37 PM
It's like the lint trap in a dryer ... you have to clear that thing out once in a while or it doesn't work as well :grin:

Larry Rutledge
10-31-2007, 01:55 PM
Ok, that looks better. I dumped the files on your mirror and re-sync'd. The file sizes seem to make much more sense now.

I've put your mirror back in the rotation. Let me know if you have any more problems.

Peace,
Larry

ripupthehwy
10-31-2007, 08:26 PM
All im saying is I expected alot better. There are some good films this time,but more bad ones than good. Sorry to be critical but when I posted a film during spyfest, people had no problem telling me what they thought. lol Anyway I just thought there would be some good scary well shot films on here...there are a few but alot of them I thought were cheesy and lame too. Just my 2 cents. please dont crucify me!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-31-2007, 08:30 PM
please dont crucify me!
Alright! Who brought the cross?

Just kidding!:laugh:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Some constructive criticism might be useful though.

Cheers,

Mike

BergVision
10-31-2007, 10:55 PM
Not sure why my audio is messed up in the final downlaod. It's fine in the master. Maybe compression?

Larry Rutledge
11-01-2007, 09:58 AM
Not sure why my audio is messed up in the final downlaod. It's fine in the master. Maybe compression?

Berg - have you tried redownloading? There were problems with a couple of the files on one of the mirrors yesterday, they were incomplete. So I re-sync'd that mirror. Hopefully that will solve the issue.

Let me know :)

All im saying is I expected alot better. There are some good films this time,but more bad ones than good. Sorry to be critical but when I posted a film during spyfest, people had no problem telling me what they thought. lol Anyway I just thought there would be some good scary well shot films on here...there are a few but alot of them I thought were cheesy and lame too. Just my 2 cents. please dont crucify me!

ripupthehwy - First, why would you post this in a thread whose purpose is clearly to discuss issues with the download system? If the title didn't make it clear, certainly the content would.

Second, there is a difference between constructive criticism and blanket rudeness. One of the purposes of this fest is to get feedback on your project, to find out what you did right, and more importantly, to find out what you didn't do right so you can learn from it and improve (that should be everyone's goal anyway).

If you have criticism with the films, why not take the time to go into their thread and tell them what it is that did and/or didn't work for you?

Crucify you? No, we won't crucify you. But it seems to me that's exactly what you are attempting to do to everyone else, and you didn't have the decency to post it where most people would see it.

If you don't want to take the time to go comment in each thread, at least make your own thread to "discuss" your thoughts on the fest, that way others might see it and be able to discuss it. And, some actual thoughts/opinions would be nice rather than "I expected greatness, but got cheese" (paraphrased obviously).

Thanks,
Larry

Dmitry Yun
11-01-2007, 01:10 PM
Just interested how many people were able to view "I love you, I'm sorry" without a hitch all the way through? And just in case; it's not supposed to begin strobing after 3:20 and it's exaclty 5:00 long :) Thank you.

Larry Rutledge
11-01-2007, 02:20 PM
Yes, there does appear to be an issue with some of the downloads of Dmitry's film. If you have an issue with the film at the 3:20 mark, please re-download and try again.

In the meantime we are working on getting the issue resolved.

Thanks for your patience.

Nic Aragon
11-02-2007, 08:10 PM
I cant get a single download to finish when it comes from http://www.dvbmusic.com/

trial and error but a majority of my clicks get sent to this link and i gotta delete the file and try again

Larry Rutledge
11-03-2007, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the information Nic ... I'll look into it.

Zim
11-04-2007, 06:44 PM
With films like NextPhoto I get a "not a movie file" message. I think it was with mostly HDV cameras. It happened about three times. Sorry I don't remember the other ones.

Maybe just my Powerbook.