PDA

View Full Version : All Hallow's Fest Viewing Now Open

Barry_S
10-30-2007, 08:15 PM
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/913/1193792419.jpg

Welcome to the dvxuser.com All Hallow's Fest 2007! We asked you to bring on the darkness and you didn't disappoint. As always, we have an amazing collection of short films in our fest. Two things were apparent after watching this bunch--we have some dedicated and talented filmmakers, and some of them are very sick pups. :) Younger and more sensitive viewers are advised to not try any of this at home--at least not while their parents are around. The satanic rituals and manifestations of evil represented in these films do not represent the opinions of dvxuser.com--at least some of us.

I'd like to thank all the participating filmmakers, our users, the mods, and of course Jarred Land for letting us all run amok on this great site. Turbocharged thanks to Larry R, our Technical Director, for making the trains run on time, maintaining the system, and building the fest infrastructure brick by brick. We should have some cool new features to roll out in 2008, thanks to Larry.

Mirror, mirror--thanks to all our generous mirror provides for letting the undead devour their bandwidth.

Mikko Wilson
Jason Ramsey (Ramjet Films)
Erik Paulsen
Jaime V
Chris Lyon
Luis Caffesse
traviscool
Larry R (Day Seven Studios)
DVX Host
Jarred Land

You can view the films at http://www.dvxfest.com/allhallowsfest/

All Hallow's Fest Sponsors / Prizes

Big thanks to Jason Ramsey our prizemaster for organizing the prizes and our generous sponsors who donated close to $10,000 dollars in prizes--all very cool gear. Everyone who successfuly enters a film will receive a DVD of the film FLIP, courtesy of DVXuser member Karl151k.

Abel Cine and Zacuto USA
Bebob
Cinevate
Cool Lights
DVFilm
DVXuser Battery (courtesy Jarred and Deb Land) indiFocus.
Kessler
Silverback Equipment
Varizoom

Special thanks to DVXuser members Karl151k, and Brandon Rice for their contributed prizes.

CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE PRIZES (http://dvxuser.com/jason/HallowsPrizes/)

All Hallow's Fest Voting Instructions

Who is eligible to vote?

All current dvxuser.com members with 100 or more posts as of today, plus all submitting filmmakers regardless of post count. This applies only to the filmmaker that submitted the film, not the whole crew.

How do I vote?

The films will be available for viewing shortly. After watching all the films, please send me (Barry S) a private message with your post count and your top 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices for best film. You must vote for three different films for your vote to be counted and you may vote for your own film. All votes are kept completely confidential.

Click Here to Vote (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/private.php?do=newpm&u=913)

How are the votes tallied?

Points are awarded to each film as follows:

1st place vote -- 3 points
2nd place vote -- 2 points
3rd place vote -- 1 point

How are the winners chosen?

We'll annound the top three films based on the total number of points they received. We will not announce the point totals for any films. Keep in mind that a film may be well-liked, but not considered as one of the top three films. Your best source of feedback is your individual film thread. There are always some high quality films that don't necessarily have a broad appeal.

Congratulations to all the filmmakers that submitted entries and thanks to all the members participating.

When does voting start and end?
Voting will run from Tuesday, October 31 through Saturday, November 10 at 5:00 PM EST.

NOTE: The Circle, Retribution, and A Little Mouth to Feed (listed in the bottom box on the download page) are for exhibition only--please do not vote for these films.

Next Fest
What? You haven't even watched a single film yet and yet you burn with the desire to know what the next DVXFest holds in store? We'll announce the next fest on Sunday, November 11.

mikkowilson
10-30-2007, 08:17 PM
WOHOooo!!!

Lets see some darkness!

- Mikko

Mark Johnson
10-30-2007, 08:18 PM
Many thanks guys for the hard work!

DarkMatter
Hahahaha!

Mark Harris
Hmmmm, isn't there something missing here?

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-30-2007, 08:19 PM
Thanks! Where's the viewing link? :)

Blaine
10-30-2007, 08:20 PM
Hmmmm, isn't there something missing here?
Like a link or something...:shocked:

Barry_S
10-30-2007, 08:23 PM
Try refreshing the page.:evil:

mikkowilson
10-30-2007, 08:24 PM
BWA HA HAA!! PURE EVIL BARRY!

- Mikko

mikkowilson
10-30-2007, 08:24 PM
...and let me add, that yes, there are some VERY sick people on DVXuser.

- Mikko

Nic Aragon
10-30-2007, 08:29 PM
...and let me add, that yes, there are some VERY sick people on DVXuser.

- Mikko

better here than out there in the world where they can hurt someone! :P haha

Robbie Comeau
10-30-2007, 08:34 PM
Yay!!!!!!!!!!

Mark Harris
10-30-2007, 08:36 PM
I think there is something wrong with Dale's film. It kind of ends at about 1:45...right as it's about to get good. Unless that is the point. In which case, sorry Dale.

mikkowilson
10-30-2007, 08:38 PM
You mean "The Circle" ? Try using Quick Time Player.

- Mikko

DarkMatter
10-30-2007, 08:48 PM
A Little Mouth To Feed, All the big wigs are in on this one! Can't wait to see it!!

Ben Sliker
10-30-2007, 08:48 PM
yeah ... there's something wrong with my film as well ... at 4:02 it goes crazy BOOOOOOOOOO ...please don't watch it before i get this figured out

DarkMatter
10-30-2007, 08:49 PM
Ut oh, mine goes whacky after a few seconds???

Brandon Rice
10-30-2007, 08:50 PM
Whoohoo Awesome! :)

Robbie Comeau
10-30-2007, 08:57 PM
Brandon, nice job

Edgen
10-30-2007, 09:08 PM
yeee haw! Fires ups the popcorns!

/j

Robert Eldon
10-30-2007, 09:24 PM
21 minutes to download all movies! Viewing starts...

N O W !

Good luck and congratulations to everyone!

mikkowilson
10-30-2007, 09:28 PM
Man, what's your internet connection? that's amazingly fast.

Hmm, like 1.4MBps average.

Be sure to check the "Problems" thread for updates, I think one file allready got replaced with an update.

- Mikko

Robert Eldon
10-30-2007, 09:32 PM
Man, what's your internet connection? that's amazingly fast.

Hmm, like 1.4MBps average.

Mikko,

Download is about 15 Mpbs with Verizon Fios (Fiberoptic)!

I'll check the update. Do you know which one?

mikkowilson
10-30-2007, 09:35 PM
15Mbps? Fiber? Oh you dog, I'm jelous!

hybridtheory's "InPieces" is beeing updated. Check the download page for the link to be re-activated with the fixed version in just a moment.

- Mikko

Luis Caffesse
10-30-2007, 09:37 PM
I've been resisting the urge to watch these things since yesterday ... now I can finally watch guilt free!
:thumbsup:

(alright, I may have taken a small peek.)

Larry Rutledge
10-30-2007, 09:40 PM
ah, the unspoken perk of being a mirror provider ;) But you know, if you say anything about them or release the link to your mirror before the official announcement ... :banned:

:evil:

I've been resisting the urge to watch these things since yesterday ... now I can finally watch guilt free!

(alright, I may have taken a small peek.)

mikkowilson
10-30-2007, 09:44 PM
I almost had to ban myself earlier today to stop myself from commenting too much.

- Mikko

Drew Ott
Is there a way to download every film at the same time?

jvi97
to everyone that helped put this on.........thanks, its was a lot of fun.

Luis Caffesse
10-30-2007, 09:46 PM
I almost had to ban myself earlier today to stop myself from commenting too much.

- Mikko

Hahahhaah
I know the feeling.

I really did have a hard time not watching any beforehand - I took a peek at one, that was it. Just something to whet the appetite.

Drew Ott
10-30-2007, 10:11 PM
I watched the moderator film and it was awesome. I don't see a thread for it so I'll comment here. If there is a thread that I'm missing, let me know.

Hahahhaah
I know the feeling.

I really did have a hard time not watching any beforehand - I took a peek at one, that was it. Just something to whet the appetite.

I have to commend you for using "whet" instead of "wet".

strancali
10-31-2007, 12:07 AM
wth, I was watching Nip Tuck! Where's the download links?

Brandon Rice
10-31-2007, 12:09 AM
Front post!

strancali
10-31-2007, 12:12 AM
thx Brandon, looking forward to watching yours!

Luis Caffesse
10-31-2007, 12:12 AM
wth, I was watching Nip Tuck! Where's the download links?

http://www.dvxfest.com/allhallowsfest/

Texture
10-31-2007, 03:58 AM
Thanks for going through all the hard work to put this together Larry! :beer:

Kirk Attard
10-31-2007, 05:35 AM
Hi Everyone. Just seen all the films and sumbitted my vote. Was hard to only choose three.

Thanks for all the organisers.

P.S A little mouth to feed was fantastic. Should compete in more festivals.

Michele Seidman
10-31-2007, 09:43 AM
Kirk

I agree...Jack, Mac, David and Barry did an amazing job...

I am a little bummed because I don't get to vote as a newbie....but I am going to watch them and enjoy the heck out of this!!

Best of luck everyone....

Derrick_SA
10-31-2007, 10:24 AM
GOOD JOB on the downloading this time round!.

It worked 100% without any problems this time (last time I couldn't vote cause I couldn't get all the movies off, that wouldn't have been fair).

Thanks to all the mirror sponsers and the guys doing the programming.

- Derrick

Barry_Green
10-31-2007, 11:32 AM
I agree...Jack, Mac, David and Barry did an amazing job...
Everyone involved did a great job, but none greater than the job you did, Michele. For those who don't know, Michele was the star of LMTF, she was Flora.

Kirk Attard
10-31-2007, 03:28 PM
I agree Barry. Superb performance!!!

Michele Seidman
10-31-2007, 05:04 PM
Thank you Kirk and than you Barry! I just started downloading other films so I can view them too...I love seeing all these projects. I was at Final Cut Film Festival last weekend where they shoot a 7 minute or shorter film in 36 hours including post...and two weeks from now I will be going to screenings at Cucalorus...and in the middle I get to see the DvxUser films...this has to be the high light of the year for me with all these incredible indie film projects....GO INDIE!!!

BergVision
10-31-2007, 05:41 PM
Ok, so how do we vote? Only 1 Video? More then 1? And what are voting based on? Directing? Lighting? Story? Everything? Or just Evilness?

Zim
11-01-2007, 09:45 AM
I will vote on the one I like the best. Mostly the story is what I will vote on.

Larry Rutledge
11-01-2007, 10:51 AM
Please read the first post in this thread, it gives clear voting instructions.

Bill Clar
11-01-2007, 12:29 PM
Man, I have to quit lurking and get my post count up.

Dmitry Yun
11-01-2007, 02:20 PM
Just wondering, how does voting on a fest like this really reflect on the quality rather than popularity of the filmmaker? I watched every film through and through and voted on the ones I thought were the best technicaly and story wise. Films that had balance to them in my mind. But I'm sure alot of votes come from friends in the DVXuser community as well as familiar faces. It would be cool to keep some kind of balance on voting. Like a Holy Council that selects the winner :) I'm not saying I would win otherwise but just a thought to keep things well and fair. Thank you.

Barry_Green
11-01-2007, 02:43 PM
Anybody voting based on popularity, or voting for their own film over a film that's clearly better, is doing nobody any favors. We specifically try to avoid any popularity contest nonsense; anyone caught stuffing the ballot box is not going to win.

Luis Caffesse
11-01-2007, 02:52 PM
Anybody voting based on popularity, or voting for their own film over a film that's clearly better, is doing nobody any favors. We specifically try to avoid any popularity contest nonsense; anyone caught stuffing the ballot box is not going to win.

That's why I've always liked you Barry - you're fair and impartial.
In fact...I like you so much, I'm voting for your film.
:)

oh wait - exhibition only.
DOH!

In all seriousness - I think the general populous around here is pretty rough (ie. honest) when it comes to feedback....and I think we've got alot of tough critics. I would seriously doubt the majority would wind up voting based on who they 'like' the most, as opposed to which film they thought was best.

Granted, there will always be a few here and there who may vote that way - but I'd like to think its not enough to swing the whole fest.

Dmitry Yun
11-01-2007, 03:07 PM
The reason I asked that question is that there seems to be a lot more reviews and criticism on films of people that have been around more than some...hmhmhm :) just wondering. I made a film not to win really but to polish up and I was expecting some criticism and pointers. But...seems like I had to ask for it and even then it's still pretty quiet on the front here. That's what made me wonder is all. But thanks for the reassurance of a fair vote I know that some people really deserve to win here. I made my vote already :)

Luis Caffesse
11-01-2007, 03:15 PM
I can see why you'd be worried then, in that case.
As far as feedback goes - and I'm just speaking personally here - its easier to give feedback to those people that I already know, because I know how to talk to them (meaning I don't always have to sugarcoat, or maybe I do..etc). Also, in many cases, it is much easier for me to give feedback to those people who have been more active on the forums because I'm familiar with their past work - so I have a much better handle on where they are, which makes it easier to know if the short is really good or really bad given their experience/talent/effort.

Does that make sense?

I actually haven't yet seen your film - but of course now I"ll make sure to give you my 2 cents on it.

Brandon Rice
11-01-2007, 03:17 PM
Dmitry, you're right about there being a lot of people reviewing some films and not reviewing others as much... but there are cases in nearly EVERY fest where a film who's thread hasn't been real popular winds up in the top 3! It's happened nearly every time.

Dmitry Yun
11-01-2007, 03:35 PM
Hey Luis I'm Dmitry ;) Now you know me so let's be friends...:) Thanks Brandon, :) As I said as much as I would love to win a fest my first try around, I was really looking forward to the criticism rather then the end result. I love to hear what people have to say about my work, be it negative or positive as long as it's somewhat constructive and not "that rocked" or "that sucked!". BTW your movie rocked!

Thanks ;)

Luis Caffesse
11-01-2007, 03:38 PM
Hey Luis I'm Dmitry ;) Now you know me so let's be friends...:)

Hahahaha
You got it.

Kholi
11-01-2007, 03:40 PM
That's why I've always liked you Barry - you're fair and impartial.
In fact...I like you so much, I'm voting for your film.

oh wait - exhibition only.
DOH!

In all seriousness - I think the general populous around here is pretty rough (ie. honest) when it comes to feedback....and I think we've got alot of tough critics. I would seriously doubt the majority would wind up voting based on who they 'like' the most, as opposed to which film they thought was best.

Granted, there will always be a few here and there who may vote that way - but I'd like to think its not enough to swing the whole fest.

Did anyone tell you that it's so great to have you back around on the boards again? Your posts are hilarious.

Luis Caffesse
11-01-2007, 03:54 PM
Did anyone tell you that it's so great to have you back around on the boards again? Your posts are hilarious.

Thanks Kholi.
Hopefully you meant the first half of my post, and not the second.

And hopefully you're not just trying to butter me up for a vote...
oh yeah... nevermind.

(hey, I can't say anything, I didn't even make an entry)

BergVision
11-01-2007, 04:09 PM
Are we supposed to be reviewing ALL films? I watch every single film and voted. And I would be more then happy to review each one. But I wasn't sure if we were supposed to unless someone asked. I didn't want to just go around telling people what I think. LOL

Let me know and I will review each and every film.

Larry Rutledge
11-01-2007, 04:20 PM
It is not a requirement to comment/review each film, but it is an accepted norm around these parts. The voting is all that is required to determine a winner.

One of the benefits of these fests is getting (hopefully) honest feedback from fellow colleagues. Gives everyone a chance to hear what worked, what didn't work, what could be done better, etc, etc.

If you want to leave feedback, that'd be great. If you don't want to, or don't have the time to, that's ok too.

Kholi
11-01-2007, 06:14 PM
It is not a requirement to comment/review each film, but it is an accepted norm around these parts. The voting is all that is required to determine a winner.

One of the benefits of these fests is getting (hopefully) honest feedback from fellow colleagues. Gives everyone a chance to hear what worked, what didn't work, what could be done better, etc, etc.

If you want to leave feedback, that'd be great. If you don't want to, or don't have the time to, that's ok too.

This is the one large reason why everyone should try to get one into the fest. There are a host of us that give long-winded, critical, meaningful feedback and just two of those out of a crowd stand to go a long way to a filmmaker's future.

That's in any aspect, from writing to directing to sound.

traviscool
11-01-2007, 07:00 PM
The reason I asked that question is that there seems to be a lot more reviews and criticism on films of people that have been around more than some...hmhmhm :) just wondering. I made a film not to win really but to polish up and I was expecting some criticism and pointers. But...seems like I had to ask for it and even then it's still pretty quiet on the front here. That's what made me wonder is all. But thanks for the reassurance of a fair vote I know that some people really deserve to win here. I made my vote already :)

Personally I knew nothing about the users who I voted for, I can't even remember there usernames. I tried to vote mostly on a mix style and writing, the acting also sometimes swayed me however I tried to discount this as much as possible knowing that it is not always easy to find terrific actors.

Brandon Rice
11-01-2007, 07:32 PM
the acting also sometimes swayed me however I tried to discount this as much as possible knowing that it is not always easy to find terrific actors.

It's all part of the job though man :thumbsup:

cinealma
11-01-2007, 08:21 PM
Also you have to remember that this fest opened on a Tuesday, so a lot of people probably haven't had a chance to watch a lot. I haven't. I'll watch every one of them and give my comments. But I probably won't finish until this weekend.

Almost 40 films, too. Hang in there.

Barry_Green
11-01-2007, 09:07 PM
It would be great if everyone voting would take the time to watch every film before casting a ballot. IMO, that's the only fair way to do it.

I think it was DramaFest where I was totally blown away by a film I hadn't heard any comment on, and there was nary a review on it either. I rarely comment on the films just because I'm a harsh blankety-blank, but I said something positive on this guy's pic, and I guess that started some notice and he ended up placing in the top 3, I think. Maybe not, don't remember, but things really turned around once someone said how fabulous his pic was.

So marketing is your responsibility, you need to make sure people are aware of your pic. Pre-fest hype works (see Movie Master) ;) and be sure to ask people specifically for their opinions and if they'll write you reviews. There are some (like Kholi and Brandon) who attempt to give a detailed review of every pic. Sometimes you won't like what they say, but getting people talking about your film is one way to get more people watching it.

Brandon Rice
11-01-2007, 09:11 PM
Good call Barry...

I've watched every film more than once, and I have voted... now I am working on getting reviews in for each and every one... just about halfway there

MOVIE MASTER
11-01-2007, 09:41 PM
Movie Master For President! Wooooooooooooo! Vote Away!

ilauzirika
11-02-2007, 05:36 AM
First time voting. Really hard to grab three from the bunch.
Congrats to all the filmmakers, greta material out there.

MOVIE MASTER
11-03-2007, 02:43 PM
I Have Voted Hopefully I Did Right!

BergVision
11-04-2007, 01:08 AM
I watched everybodie's films before I voted. And ended up watching them all again once I did my reviews. I didn't enter this time to really win. I just wanted to do a fun short film and get into a fest.
I did a short film for ON THE LOT last year and really had fun with that.
That film was much more involved and actually had real actors and crew.
I just wanted to throw this one together myself for fun and join the fest!

I'm going to start bumping each new film up a notch as I enter each fest.

So get ready for more fun!

STYLZ
11-04-2007, 12:30 PM
Should of been a "best use of assigned prop award".

D.L.
11-11-2007, 12:35 PM
Anyone have the whole collection as a single file? Would make it easier for me.

Thanks!