PDA

View Full Version : I wonder what the next fest will be?

Matt Sconce
10-30-2007, 02:56 PM
Hahahaha! I am totally kidding! I am excited to see the movies in this festival and am eagerly awaiting their release. The prizes are amazing this year as well! Good luck to all!

Luis Caffesse
10-30-2007, 03:00 PM
I am kind of surprised we don't yet have a "What's the next Fest?" thread....

How about 'Clown Fest' - just for a change of pace.
:)
http://www.dontlaughat.us/images/clowns_home.jpg

Ben Sliker
10-30-2007, 03:09 PM
i like the concept that hallows fest set up, don't specify a specific genre, but require an element like darkness instead which can be interpreted many ways.

Ki-Ki
10-30-2007, 03:10 PM
Thats my belayed hallows fest villan, just, not on crack.

Brandon Rice
10-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Yeah, I agree with Ben above... some kind of element fest, not a genre fest.

Larry Rutledge
10-30-2007, 03:13 PM
some kind of element fest

I wholeheartedly agree:

http://www.automedia.com/NewCarBuyersGuide/photos/2006/Honda/Element/SUV/2006_Honda_Element_ext_1.jpg

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Ki-Ki
10-30-2007, 03:15 PM
Bullet Fest, and that colour.. um.. lovely colour.

Brandon Rice
10-30-2007, 03:15 PM
HAHA...

shameless plug for your vehicle of choice Larry :)

Barry_Green
10-30-2007, 03:26 PM
ClownFest...

Brandon Rice
10-30-2007, 03:28 PM
yuck... IMHO :)

mikkowilson
10-30-2007, 03:28 PM
Why don't cannibals eat clowns?

- Mikko

Larry Rutledge
10-30-2007, 03:30 PM
Cause they taste funny!! :grin:

Matt Sconce
10-30-2007, 03:30 PM
Clowns are dangerous. They can giggle one minute and then go nuclear the next. See attached picture for proof.

http://microscopiq.com/images/mushroom-clown-ps3.jpg

Brandon Rice
10-30-2007, 03:31 PM
clowns scare me

Justin Kuhn
10-30-2007, 03:31 PM
NoirFest.

Drew Ott
10-30-2007, 03:49 PM
My friend has an actual fear of clowns.

He became furious at one of my other friends for recommending him Donnie Darko. Apparently there is a clown in the party scene. He skipped 2 nights of sleep.

He also likes to help me make movies; no clown fest. :)

Billy Pilgrim
10-30-2007, 04:00 PM
Fest Fest

We make a five minute film based on a previous DVXuser fest. I'd like to adapt Movie Master's Horror Fest thread into a film.

Ki-Ki
10-30-2007, 04:08 PM
I'm not gonna even think about the next fest until I finish this film, but off the record.

I still say Action-Fest.

StefanHaynes
10-30-2007, 04:45 PM
Ooh, good idea. There's never been a single action film on DVX ever before. We need more for certain.

Drama-fest II or bust. I would recommend a Comedy fest, but it would undoubtedly get crammed with "lawl random" humor in spades.

It would also be refreshing to see the time-limit slightly extended. 5min is plenty of time for silly gunplay and gorenography, but for genuine "human drama," it becomes somewhat impossible to set up genuine characters and interesting situations. Viewing any of the winning films from Drama I will attest to that fact.

Ki-Ki
10-30-2007, 04:46 PM
Action / Drama Fest would work, or something along that line. Dramatic Action? No idea.

mikkowilson
10-30-2007, 04:48 PM
How do you feel about something more light-hearted?

Something that's more "fun" and less "serious". ?

- Mikko

Kevin Dorsey
10-30-2007, 04:49 PM
Sweater Vest Fest.

Billy Pilgrim
10-30-2007, 04:49 PM
I'm all for comedy fest.

DimmuJed
10-30-2007, 04:50 PM
how about 15 minute fest? or Brandon Rice Fest? Or what about a remake fest? Though that could get harry.

deedive
10-30-2007, 04:52 PM
cult fest

Ki-Ki
10-30-2007, 04:52 PM
How do you feel about something more light-hearted?

Something that's more "fun" and less "serious". ?

- Mikko

Austin Powers Fest,

Only because I was gonna say Shag Fest. Now I gone and said it anyway.

deedive
10-30-2007, 04:53 PM
or remake fest, make a 5 minute version of your favorite movie.

Billy Pilgrim
10-30-2007, 04:56 PM
But remember the discussion of the "next fest" before Hallows fest was announced? PUBLIC DOMAIN!!! I guess we'd all be stuck re-making Night of the Living Dead and some old Roger Corman movies.

StefanHaynes
10-30-2007, 05:03 PM
Good Fest?

In order to be entered, film must be good.

Billy Pilgrim
10-30-2007, 05:05 PM
I like that and Sweater Vest Fest

J.R. Hudson
10-30-2007, 05:06 PM
Good Fest?

In order to be entered, film must be good.

So much for learning the craft ?

I enjoy seeing the good with the bad especailly when one enters the next fest; seeing growth in the community is awesome.

StefanHaynes
10-30-2007, 05:23 PM
It was a poorly-written joke. Nothing more.

Glideshot
10-30-2007, 05:28 PM
It was a poorly-written joke. Nothing more.

If it makes you feel better, I got it immediately!

Ki-Ki
10-30-2007, 05:37 PM
A fest where theres a competition, except the fest.

Eg.

Male v Female
Young v Old
Digital v Film

Duff
10-30-2007, 05:38 PM
Comedy fest! Whoo!!!

If not, then hell -- I managed to adulterate this prompt in such a way that I could get away with submitting a comedy. What's to stop me from doing it in the next one? :)

Sweater Vest Fest would be epic.

Kholi
10-30-2007, 05:50 PM
So much for learning the craft ?

I enjoy seeing the good with the bad especailly when one enters the next fest; seeing growth in the community is awesome.

Agree. Although, I knew he was tellin' a jokey joke. Definitely a great test bed for craft learnin'!!!

Ki-Ki
10-30-2007, 05:51 PM
Action Fest
Comedy Fest
Wild Wild West Fest
Historic Fest
Medieval Fest
Sci-Fi Fest
Sweater Vest Fest
Spoof Fest
Spy Fest
Ad Fest
Romantic Fest
War Fest
Educational Fest
Horror Fest
Childrens Fest
Murder Fest
Zombie Fest
Rusty Ancient Cursed Killer Cheesegrater From The Dark Abyss Of The River Nile Fest
Hero Fest
Drama Fest
Future Fest
Pitch Fest
Adventure Fest
Documentary Fest
Doctor Fest
Poe Fest
Crime Fest
Noir Fest
Detective Fest
Thriller Fest
- ! Trailer Fest ! -
Green Fest
Solo Fest
Psycho Fest
Snuff Fest >.>
Kung Fu Fest
Martial Arts Fest
DVX User Fest
Family Film Fest

Yesh I got a little bored..
So I went back through previous fest's and took more of the successfull ideas out.

DarkMatter
10-30-2007, 05:57 PM
Poe Fest

Great Idea, that would be fun!

Ki-Ki
10-30-2007, 05:59 PM
Just for the record, before I get sued by a random. Not my idea, some ..dude came up with that. I just copied and pasted a bunch of crap into this thread to p1ss everyone off. Now no one has much to do for 40 odd pages. ^.^

Drew Ott
10-30-2007, 06:00 PM
Wild Wild West Fest

West Fest would be pretty catchy.

traviscool
10-30-2007, 06:38 PM
Action Fest
Wild Wild West Fest
Noir Fest

Ether of those would be sweet!

A Sweater Vest Fest is just a fest with sweater vests in it? Or is there something I'm missing?

Billy Pilgrim
10-30-2007, 06:51 PM
The theme is: you must make a short documentary on sweater vests. It can be about the construction of sweater vests, the place of sweater vests in contemporary fashion, it can be about the inventor of the sweater vest, etc.

Luis Caffesse
10-30-2007, 06:53 PM
http://www.outblush.com/women/images/2006/10/dream-argyle-vest.jpg
If you have to ask... then you just don't get it.
:thumbsup:

DimmuJed
10-30-2007, 07:05 PM
How about poop fest? You would have to have at least one scene with the word poop in it, or a bathroom scene. Better yet, constipation fest.

Ki-Ki
10-30-2007, 07:08 PM
Lovely.

Tom Marshall
10-30-2007, 07:09 PM
SimiloFest... everyone has to remake Similo...

Duff
10-30-2007, 09:09 PM
How about poop fest? You would have to have at least one scene with the word poop in it, or a bathroom scene. Better yet, constipation fest.

I can just use the same film I submitted for this fest http://guest.duffx.com/lmao.gif

Nic Aragon
10-30-2007, 09:21 PM
i would really like to see a fest where everyone gets the same script or same story at worst and we get to see a direct comparison of visions

Luis Caffesse
10-30-2007, 09:30 PM
i would really like to see a fest where everyone gets the same script or same story at worst and we get to see a direct comparison of visions

DirectorFest

Even better - everyone gets the same script....which is the winning script from ...

WriterFest

mik
10-31-2007, 01:14 AM
That's a good idea.

Ki-Ki
10-31-2007, 01:46 AM
I ... Forth.. Fifth.. Third whatever that.

But ite depends what the script would be. If It was somethign where Jesus sits on Big Ben or a Tidal Wave hit Los Angelis, then I don't think it would work. Yet again if it was about one man in a small white room for 5 minutes I don't think it would work.

It would need a bit of clever writing behind it. Something interesting. So for that reason i'm 50/50 about it. But Director & Spoof Fest I've been backing for a while now, again, as well as action. I still havn't finished this film fest yet.

Larry Rutledge
10-31-2007, 07:09 AM
I think last time we discussed a similar idea, perhaps just providing a Log Line and everyone makes a film from the same Log Line. I think we'd be surprised at how many different interepretations of the same "concept" there would be, though I'd also be interested to see how many "very similar" ones would come out of it as well.

I think a writer fest, followed by a fest using the winning script could be cool ... except we all know that no one on here could wait that long for the "fest" to begin ... waiting for that script contest to end. http://members.cox.net/jeepsg4/gifs/ShowLetter.gif

I was talking to Mikko about it yesterday and we both feel that the last several fests have been real "heavy" (drama, spy, horror, etc) ... it might be nice to mix it up a bit and have comedy fest. :grin:

I also like the idea, which I saw someone mention, oif a Twilight Zone Fest. Of course, we can't use "TZ" in the name and we couldn't duplicate serling's monologue ... but films that tell a moral story, without actually telling the story and with a clever twist at the end (like the one where the girl is repulsed by her face and they are doing procedures to "correct" her ... only it turns out she is beautiful (in our terms) and they are all hideous).

Just some thoughts :)

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-31-2007, 07:20 AM
I also like the idea, which I saw someone mention, oif a Twilight Zone Fest. Of course, we can't use "TZ" in the name and we couldn't duplicate serling's monologue ... but films that tell a moral story, without actually telling the story and with a clever twist at the end (like the one where the girl is repulsed by her face and they are doing procedures to "correct" her ... only it turns out she is beautiful (in our terms) and they are all hideous).

Just some thoughts :)

Classic episode! I love that one...

Cheers,

Mike

Luis Caffesse
10-31-2007, 07:22 AM

TwistFest?

Luis Caffesse
10-31-2007, 07:26 AM
But ite depends what the script would be. If It was somethign where Jesus sits on Big Ben or a Tidal Wave hit Los Angelis, then I don't think it would work. Yet again if it was about one man in a small white room for 5 minutes I don't think it would work.

It would need a bit of clever writing behind it.

The script would simply have to be dialogue and character driven - not location specific.
And ideally all character names would be unisex.

Yeah, I know - not leaving much for a writer to work with....pretty much leaves them with nothing except for dialogue, conflict, and plot.

mjjason
10-31-2007, 09:55 AM
An open concept would be great. Something like 'Disaster'. Everyone will have there own definition of what a Disaster is.

Or something for the holidays. Christmasfest or Xmasfest for some. Doesn't have to be a happy sort of film. Just has to take place around the holiday.

Luis Caffesse
10-31-2007, 10:03 AM
How about Realtime fest?
Or ... OneShotFest?

Basically, instead of genre and style limitations, go with a technical parameter you have to stay within.

Barry_Green
10-31-2007, 10:35 AM
How about Realtime fest?
Or ... OneShotFest?
Oooooooohhhhh... nice...

Ki-Ki
10-31-2007, 10:38 AM
Realtime fest, I freaking love that. I just know I'd totally rip 24 though.

Though I sense a comedy fest coming along.

mikkowilson
10-31-2007, 12:03 PM
[...] OneShotFest?

Hmmm... Ok.

- Mikko ... glances over at his kit.

Luis Caffesse
10-31-2007, 12:12 PM
Hmmm... Ok.

- Mikko ... glances over at his kit.

I figured you'd like that one.

Jaime V
10-31-2007, 12:28 PM
I would love to do an Action Fest, simply because I do martial arts and I'd love to try to choreograph and film a cool fight scene :) I haven't been able to come up with a good 'action movie' story though...I don't wanna have a bunch of action with no plot.

Comedy Fest would definitely be fun. My SpyFest entry was comedic...and of course it was fun to shoot because we were all too busy laughing.

If it goes either way...we could do an Action/Comedy :-)

mikkowilson
10-31-2007, 01:04 PM
I don't wanna have a bunch of action with no plot.

Why not? It works for Hollywood.

- Mikko

Luis Caffesse
10-31-2007, 01:08 PM
If we're going to do that....leave the options open - instead of ActionFest...

SilentFest.

Jaime V
10-31-2007, 01:11 PM

- Mikko

Um...it's a personal choice I guess ;-)

Every action short I tried to write came off as a cliche spy/cop flick...I offended myself reading my own crap.

But maybe inspiration will strike if there's a fest at stake!

Duff
10-31-2007, 01:38 PM
B-Movie Fest.

Duff
10-31-2007, 01:40 PM
Or Public-Domain-Remix Fest.

Tom Marshall
10-31-2007, 01:44 PM
FixItInPostFest - everything is shot in one day and everything is done in post

Blaine
10-31-2007, 01:52 PM
FixItInPostFest - everything is shot in one day and everything is done in postThat sounds like the Bricemanfest...:grin:

Luis Caffesse
10-31-2007, 01:53 PM
FixItInPostFest - everything is shot in one day and everything is done in post

I think alot of entries in the past probably fit that category already.

Kholi
10-31-2007, 01:54 PM
Every action short I tried to write came off as a cliche spy/cop flick...I offended myself reading my own crap.

That made me LOL pretty hard.

But, you guys know it seems to be that the Fests are much more "open" now. A theme that can be wrapped up in different Genres looks like it works out well.

Darkness could've been comedy, action, etc. It's what you made of it. Good trend to continue.

StefanHaynes
10-31-2007, 02:59 PM
I strongly agree.

Perhaps a "Do as you please" Fest would be a logical progression. Actually, it could turn out to be the best.

DimmuJed
10-31-2007, 03:14 PM

- Mikko

Michael Bay?

Mike@AF
10-31-2007, 09:29 PM
New Years Fest. Make it open genre. Can be about anything you want as long as it takes place on New Years Eve or New Years Day and there must be something to show it's New Years.

Also, I vote to get rid of the time limit. I think a lot of people are being limited on what they can do artistically because they can't get everything in that they want. If it's too long and that makes it boring or just not good, then they just won't win the contest. If server space is an issue, you can put a limit to the file size so the longer films just need to have a smaller frame size. I'm saying this mainly because we recently made a short that we're extremely happy with and turned out fantastic (feedback has been overwhelming) that we would have entered in this fest, but it was too long. Our original intention was to make it for All Hallows Fest, but the 5 minute limit was just too short for the film to play out properly. The 5 minute version does work, but I'd rather not compromise. Can I make a 5 minute short? Sure, if I want to. But my stories are more detailed and compelling than what can fit in under 5 minutes. I'm sure others would probably agree at least to some extent. Please remove the time limit, or at least make it more reasonable (like 10 or 15 minutes). Try it at least once and I'm sure we'll get some really good films. And you'll still get shorter films I'm sure.

BergVision
10-31-2007, 10:04 PM
Christmas Fest! Snow, Trees, Lights, gifts and Hot Chocolate!

Luis Caffesse
10-31-2007, 10:12 PM
The time limit isn't just a server space issue - it's also a voting issue.
With 35 or so entries we're already talking about everyone finding the time to download and watch nearly 3 hours of material, and that's with a 5 minute limit.

That could easily double, if not more, if the time limit were lifted.
I support these fest wholeheartedly, but honestly it would be hard for me to find 6 hours to spend watching them all in order to be able to vote.

I could see maybe increasing the limit a little bit - but taking it away completely would be a bad idea, in my opinion.

Mike@AF
10-31-2007, 10:46 PM
The time limit isn't just a server space issue - it's also a voting issue.
With 35 or so entries we're already talking about everyone finding the time to download and watch nearly 3 hours of material, and that's with a 5 minute limit.

That could easily double, if not more, if the time limit were lifted.
I support these fest wholeheartedly, but honestly it would be hard for me to find 6 hours to spend watching them all in order to be able to vote.

I could see maybe increasing the limit a little bit - but taking it away completely would be a bad idea, in my opinion.

I could understand the limit due to voting. I still think the limit should be increased. The voting time period could also be increased, based on the number of entries and the total length of time of all the entries. If it takes 6 hours to watch them all, why not give 3 weeks to vote? Or even more than that?

Brandon Rice
10-31-2007, 10:51 PM
I probably won't be able to compete next fest, but an action-fest would be fun to watch... or a comedyfest.

ugafan
10-31-2007, 11:09 PM
Christmas Fest! Snow, Trees, Lights, gifts and Hot Chocolate!

something for the holidays would be nice. :thumbsup:

Jared Meyer
10-31-2007, 11:48 PM
I could understand the limit due to voting. I still think the limit should be increased. The voting time period could also be increased, based on the number of entries and the total length of time of all the entries. If it takes 6 hours to watch them all, why not give 3 weeks to vote? Or even more than that?

If I'm not mistaken I think the powers that be are pretty happy with the five minute limit...

I for one would not be as interested in watching upwards of 30 short films that ranged as long as 10 or 15 minutes. The caliber here is definitely improving, but the five minute restriction is a difficult one to master and leaves plenty of room for improvement in storytelling and technical ability.

If you can't tell a story in five minutes, you don't deserve fifteen. In an open contest of widely varying skill levels, I'd much rather sit through five minutes of an average story than fifteen. If the latter I'd probably be doing a lot of fast-forwarding if not turning off altogether.

Five minutes is nearly always watchable, regardless of quality, and allows for the best chance that people will watch the whole thing and give critiques.

Weston
10-31-2007, 11:52 PM
Sci-Fest 2

BergVision
11-01-2007, 12:36 AM
Martial Arts Fest!!!!!! PLEASE!!!! I'm a martial artist and this would be fun!

Mike@AF
11-01-2007, 12:38 AM
If you can't tell a story in five minutes, you don't deserve fifteen.

Not sure if that was directed at me personally. I did say that I could make a 5 minute film, I just don't want to. Sorry won 3rd place in SpyFest, so I think that proves it. I like my stories to be more complex and better developed than can be done in 5 minutes for the stories I have. I just don't like being limited. Sometimes if the film is too short it just gets boring or confusing.

I also don't think you would have 30 films at 10 minutes. It's a time limit, not a length requirement. Not everyone has the time or even wants to make a film that long... some could barely finish their 5 or 6 minute films. It's interesting how this was 5 minutes max and nearly all the films are actually 5 minutes long. I wonder how much better all these films are at their full uncut lengths.

For those of us that can make a compelling 10 minute or so short it would be nice to not be limited to 5 minutes is all I'm saying. The only reason I didn't enter this fest was because of the time limit. How many times have you watched a director's cut of a movie that was better than the theatrical release? They cut it down to keep it at certain length for the movie theaters to show the movie more times, but they take out some of the key parts or just some really good parts.

I had one film finished for this fest (the original script was 5 pages) that ended up being longer because of what I wanted to do with it. We wrote another that at the 5 minute length just wasn't to my standards as a filmmaker and what I thought the film should actually be, so we didn't shoot it. After revising it, it's now 10.5 pages and would probably be about 10 or 11 minutes long all said and done. Altho double the time limit, if you read the longer script it's much better than the shorter script because we were able to develop the characters, story, and scenes much more. Is the 4.5 page script bad? Of course not, but the 10.5 page script blows it away hands down.

Altho I wouldn't personally like it, perhaps there could be a qualification system to get entered into the fest. The mods can greenlight a script or even accept or decline films when they're entered, like in other larger fests. I think films should also only make it into the contest if they're actually finished. I believe there's 2 films entered in this fest that aren't actually finished. I personally don't like spending time downloading a film, start watching, and then find out it's not even finished yet. Take those out and you have 10 minutes off your total viewing time.

Keep in mind "A Little Mouth To Feed", made with participation of some mods, is 8.5 minutes long and is a quality film. That proves there's talent here to make a high quality longer film. Why limit that talent?

BergVision
11-01-2007, 12:39 AM
I downloaded and watched EVERY SINGLE Hallows Fest 2007 Entry today before voting! It was hard.
What a better way to spend Halloween! For fests like these 5 Minutes seems long enough. I guess it just depends on the topic.
Can't wait for more!

Jared Meyer
11-01-2007, 12:55 AM
Not sure if that was directed at me personally. I did say that I could make a 5 minute film, I just don't want to.

Nope, not at all. Darn the English language for not having a good way to express the general, plural form of the pronoun you. :) How about: If one cannot tell a story in five minutes, one does not deserve fifteen.

Either way, your opinions are all 100% valid. It was just my 2 cents.

Geoff_R
11-01-2007, 01:08 AM
SciTech Fest or Technoir Fest or "Blade Runner'esq Fest' or 'Crazy Old Lady with a Shotgun Fest' (The last one would probably produce some very interesting work)

Jaime V
11-01-2007, 06:55 AM
That made me LOL pretty hard.

But, you guys know it seems to be that the Fests are much more "open" now. A theme that can be wrapped up in different Genres looks like it works out well.

Darkness could've been comedy, action, etc. It's what you made of it. Good trend to continue.

This is very true of these fests, and one of the things I enjoy. Personally, I think the 'Genre' requirement is much more open than the 'Theme' requirement, though. But that's my own interpretation perhaps.

For Hallows Fest, with a theme of Darkness (which I understood from mod posts to mean the general mood of the film should be dark, not a literal interpretation of Darkness...ie: a comedy film that was shot at night, would not have met the requirements) I don't think comedy would have worked, but anything else would have. But with Genre, like 'Horror', 'Spy', 'Sci-Fi' etc, as long as you have the basic elements from the main genre, your sub-genre can be whatever you like.

Again, this is just my understanding, and the kind folks running these fests seem to be very open indeed.

I look forward to November 11th, and the announcement of the next Fest!

Jaime V
11-01-2007, 06:56 AM
SciTech Fest or Technoir Fest or "Blade Runner'esq Fest' or 'Crazy Old Lady with a Shotgun Fest' (The last one would probably produce some very interesting work)

Um...Geoff, if you're not gonna use the 'Crazy Old Lady with a Shotgun' title...can I? :laugh:

Luis Caffesse
11-01-2007, 07:17 AM
I like my stories to be more complex and better developed than can be done in 5 minutes for the stories I have.

I completely feel your pain on this - but personally I think its for the greater good that the limit be kept down to 5 or 6 minutes. It allows for more entries in the end, easier voting, less demand on server space, etc etc.

Keep in mind - I don't think anyone here is hoping to make their living on a 5 minute short film...what I mean is I think its a safe bet that the vast majority of us like our stories to be more complex and better developed than can be done in 5 minutes. But I don't think these fests are really designed or intended to showcase the limits of our storytelling ability, but more of a taste of what this forum's members have to offer. I like the short running times because it gives me a peek at what everyone can do.
I know that isn't a very articulate way to phrase what I"m trying to get at, but hopefully it's coming across.

Sometimes if the film is too short it just gets boring or confusing.

Absolutely - an sometimes if it's too long it also gets boring (maybe not confusing, but definitely boring). The thing is, knowing the limitation on time it's up to us to construct stories that can be told engagingly in 5 minutes... not take a 15 minute story and try to cram it into a 5 minute structure.

I also don't think you would have 30 films at 10 minutes. It's a time limit, not a length requirement. Not everyone has the time or even wants to make a film that long... some could barely finish their 5 or 6 minute films. It's interesting how this was 5 minutes max and nearly all the films are actually 5 minutes long.

While in theory you may be absolutely right - it's interesting to look back at some of the past fests...and when the limit was (I believe) 8 minutes, nearly every entry was 8 minutes long. Time limitations like this are like blank canvases...while we may say it's not a requirement, just a limit, I think most people will tend to still fill the space that they are given. Give a 10 minute time limit, and the vast majority of films will be 10 minutes long.

I wonder how much better all these films are at their full uncut lengths.

I do too, and hopefully some of the filmmakers will eventually upload some 'directors cuts' for us.
There is nothing stopping anyone from being able to do that (I don't think).

For those of us that can make a compelling 10 minute or so short it would be nice to not be limited to 5 minutes is all I'm saying.

I hear you - on the otherhand, there isn't anything stopping any of us from making a 10 minute short.... you simply wouldn't be able to compete in the fest. Look at Jacks' film, for example.

Altho I wouldn't personally like it, perhaps there could be a qualification system to get entered into the fest. The mods can greenlight a script or even accept or decline films when they're entered, like in other larger fests.

Personally I think that would kill the spirit of these fests.
Right now, the only qualification is that you be a member of this community.
No entry fee... no screening...anyone who can get it together and make a film gets in, then we all decide which are the best, as a community.

And that's the problem with getting into longer running times, it winds up leading to things like qualification for the festival, and screening systems...etc...

I totally agree with you about timelimitations...5 minutes makes it very difficult to do anything that feels...substantial. I think we would all prefer 10 to 15 minute films....but if we did that then the fests wouldn't be what they are now.
So in that respect I think it's probably for the greater good to keep them short.
Again, not ideal, but a compromise that I think probably has to be made to keep these fests both open to everyone and free, which is really what this site is all about (in my opinion).

I think you made some good points....and I think this is a topic worth discussing.
Just want it to be clear that I'm not trying to argue with you here, just exploring the different pros and cons of time limitations. Just responding to you directly because I thought you raised some interesting concerns.

Dustin R. Rogan
11-01-2007, 08:41 AM
I like the idea of everyone have the same script/log line and seeing where everyones vision goes with the same material to work with. I also like the idea of having a prop mandatory in the flicks. Maybe more mandatory props, or interaction with said props. Or perhaps a phrase has to be in script.

I like the idea of
ComedyFest
ForeignFest (no subtitles, audience is moved by delivery of the lines and actions)
SilentFest
FilmFest (anything goes, but have a mandatory list of props and 5 min limit)
GreenFest (everything shot on Green Screen)
MockumentryFest
...MusicalFest

Anyhow, I could go all day with these...but I have to get back to work...Boss man is watching me :eek: LOL later

Dustin

Geoff_R
11-01-2007, 05:50 PM
Um...Geoff, if you're not gonna use the 'Crazy Old Lady with a Shotgun' title...can I? :laugh:
Go for it! That's something I'd seriously like to see. :laugh:

waefre
11-01-2007, 06:33 PM
My vote goes for Post Apocalyptic Fest! Who doesn't like a good film about a few lonely survivors after everything is over. Maybe challenging but I've seen some done well on tiny budgets.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-01-2007, 07:07 PM
Got this idea from the 1998 thread.

What about a Fest based on a certain decade? Like a 50's fest?

Mike

MOVIE MASTER
11-01-2007, 09:23 PM
Geekfest! Yeah!

Billy Pilgrim
11-01-2007, 09:25 PM
Tupperware Fest

ripupthehwy
11-01-2007, 10:24 PM
Ok here's the next 10 fests:

Deathfest

Scarefest

SpookyFest

GoreFest

BloodFest

EvilFest

ZombieFest...Oh wait that ones already been done..Ok then.. Return of the Zombies Fest

HorrorFest...dammit that ones been done also! Ok then...GruesomeFest

ShockFest

and FrightFest

George_Bailey
11-01-2007, 11:04 PM
Something entirely new:

NewsFest

Jarred and the kiddies film a ten-second clip from a TV newscast. The clip could be about anything - a murder, a disaster, a corrupt politician, an escaped mental patient - anything.

And then they make us download it and incorporate it into the entry - which can be on any theme as long as it shows all or substantially all of the clip.

Just a thought ...

Weston
11-01-2007, 11:11 PM
Sci-fest 2?
or...

SCI-FEST....2

StMad
11-02-2007, 02:30 AM
I've been pretty inspired by Macgregor's work. He's the local master of telling a story or conveying mood with little or no dialogue. It's a limitation which really emphasises using sound design (+ score) and visuals to sell your message.

So my vote goes to "Dialogue free fest".

(And it means I wouldn't need to find a boom op :) )

StMad
11-02-2007, 02:31 AM
My second vote goes to "Actor free fest"

(It would mean I wouldn't need to find...)

tmpafilmer25
11-02-2007, 11:16 AM
Maybe itís just me, but I think it would be cool if the next fest could be put up to a vote. Perhaps a mod could start a poll, and the one with the most votes after a certain timeframe would be the next fest.

Maybe Iíll actually do a film this time :smile:

Weston
11-02-2007, 11:19 AM
maybe it will be sci fest 2...

Ben Sliker
11-02-2007, 01:55 PM
how about everyone has to use the same number of shots? Or keep there ASL (average shot length) between a certain number of seconds? :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

gabrielflorit
11-02-2007, 04:52 PM
Hmmm. The same number of shots/ASL thing could get really taxing on mods. I really like the One-Shot Fest idea, it would definitely show creativity. But I'm still waiting for NoirFest. I suggested it two fests ago... Barry please let's do NoirFest!

We'd have everyone doing crane shots of your favorite 1950's diner... oooh the eye candy.

Mike@AF
11-02-2007, 10:22 PM
I think putting too many restrictions will compromise the quality of the films. Everyone will be too focused on how long the shots are, or how many shots they've taken, or what they can do to keep the entire film as one shot. These fests should promote the quality of work that everyone on DVXuser is capable of and I don't think those kinds of restrictions will allow for that.

Barry_Green
11-03-2007, 06:19 AM
Restrictions promote creativity. Nothing stifles creativity like freedom.

Not saying we'll see better films, necessarily, but the more restrictions that are placed on you, the more creative you have to become in order to overcome them. Just a thought...

Luis Caffesse
11-03-2007, 06:44 AM

I couldn't agree more -
One of my favorite quotes (I think McKee used it in the opening of 'Story'...not sure):

"When forced to work within a strict framework the imagination is taxed to its outmost – and will produce its richest ideas. Given total freedom the work is likely to sprawl."

T.S. Elliot

Ladyhazle
11-03-2007, 10:41 AM
I agree to a point on the restriction issue. The ones so far, using certain names, an object, and the time limit have been great. Variations on those would be even better. I love the challenges as much as the next person, but I think it can definately go overboard and stop being fun if too many restriction are put on the process.

I'd be up for a restriction calling for a cap on the budgets people can have for their shorts! That ALWAYS forces creativity (of course it would have to be something close to free since I think very few of us ever get into the thousands with these projects! haha).

Comedy Fest would be the biggest restriction for me. haha. That is some hard stuff to write successfully!

mjjason
11-03-2007, 03:12 PM
Really like the one shot idea, but we will probably get a bunch of shakey tracking shots or really good steadicam shots.

Matt Harris
11-03-2007, 03:56 PM
waefre,
i second you on post apocalyptic fest, i even pushed for it after spyfest. Road Warrior is my favorite movie of all time. period. so i think your avatar is the best ever.

I think flmmkrs time limitless idea is valid, but not practical for this site. its hard enough to download the movies, write reviews and vote etc. as is.

Tom Marshall
11-03-2007, 04:27 PM
I voted for feature fest right before AdFest came up. What I was really thinking, honestly is post-apocalyptic fest. That would be really really cool... really... :beer:

Luis Caffesse
11-03-2007, 04:41 PM
Eh - I like a good postapocalyptic film as much as the next guy...but do we really want to sit through 35 or so of them?

Why not something more broad - for example, nothing stopping anyone from making a postapocalyptic short for SciFest... or even DramaFest for that matter.

But once you define the setting...THAT seems a bit much to me.
And I'm not talking from a filmmkers point of view here, but an audience member.

Then again, what do I know - I guess 'post apocalyptic' could mean whatever you want it to mean, and different filmmakers may come up with different versions. I would just worry about getting 30 films of guys in leather jackets in desolate landscapes.

Tom Marshall
11-03-2007, 04:50 PM
Yeah, all with Aussie accents and a weird little kid running around. :)

I see what you mean. I never think in terms of what other people are doing, honestly. It's always about me, me, me. (j/k) :D

Luis Caffesse
11-03-2007, 05:02 PM
How about TrailerFest?

(movie trailers...not trailer parks)

Tom Marshall
11-03-2007, 05:16 PM
Or maybe TrailerTrashFest? :beer:

Luis Caffesse
11-03-2007, 05:21 PM
(shaking my head)

Tsk Tsk Tsk...
Always going low brow, Tommy.

Matt Harris
11-03-2007, 05:27 PM
i love trailertrash fest, or trailer fest! im so pissed i missed the grindhouse trailer contest from GRINDHOUSE. I was just reading about how Eli Roth had so much fun making his THANKSGIVING trailer that he is making an entire movie of just fake Grindhouse trailers.

But it doesnt have to be grindhouse trailer fest, could be any genre or any movie.

as if we really have any influence, oh well. and yes i agree that post-apocalyptic fest
is too genre specific probably.

i guess i'll have to go watch BEYOND THUNDERDOME again! (don't worry, i'll shut it off before those damn kids show up in the second act).

CHE
11-03-2007, 05:45 PM
Barry is right on the money. Nothing spurs creativity like restrictions. Total freedom gives you CSI Miami, CSI NY, CSI Las Vegas, CSI Toledo, CSI Boise, CSI Anytown USA...etc, etc, etc. Now if we could only clone David Caruso!!

Anyway, I digress. I like the idea of restrictions. Look what it did for the Czech New Wave and Dogme 95.

I am really looking forward to the next FEST!!!

navitas
11-03-2007, 06:05 PM
I don't know if anyone mentioned it but maybe futureFEST. I guess that's not as limiting as sci-fi fest - I mean many things can happed in the future :)) You can go with post-apocalyptic, or alien, or back to the Neanderthals... plus Barry can add his beloved limitations like a glass of wine or fancy kinetica logo :)

Tom Marshall
11-03-2007, 06:16 PM
(shaking my head)

Tsk Tsk Tsk...
Always going low brow, Tommy.

You know me! :grin:

I don't know if anyone mentioned it but maybe futureFEST. I guess that's not as limiting as sci-fi fest - I mean many things can happed in the future :)) You can go with post-apocalyptic, or alien, or back to the Neanderthals... plus Barry can add his beloved limitations like a glass of wine or fancy kinetica logo :)

I suggested Futurefest for a past fest and Barry_S thought it was too much like
SciFest... I don't think so though. I mean, FutureFest could be anything, really. It would just be set, say, 100 years into the future.

Brandon Rice
11-03-2007, 06:23 PM
Trailerfest would be great! Because it would give all of us something we could do further after they've been in this contest. You can shoot a trailer for a movie idea, or script you have, and use it as pitch material to studios after the fest!

Kholi
11-03-2007, 07:19 PM
That was the idea I had for last fest.

Although I called it PitchFest. You do a trailer and a talking heads portion or another one pitching the feature length version and submit them as one video.

Mike@AF
11-03-2007, 07:22 PM

Not saying we'll see better films, necessarily, but the more restrictions that are placed on you, the more creative you have to become in order to overcome them. Just a thought...

I think it depends on the restrictions. I agree that having certain requirements like the glass of red wine are good. For one, it lets you make sure all the films were made within the same time period. I also like the themes. I think those are great. However, I think requiring a certain number of shots of certain length shots is too restrictive. That's what I meant.

Mike@AF
11-03-2007, 07:26 PM
I think flmmkrs time limitless idea is valid, but not practical for this site. its hard enough to download the movies, write reviews and vote etc. as is.

I wasn't really going for it to be really time limitless. I'm just asking for more time to do something more compelling and little more complex. Given 10 or 12 minutes I would have entered my latest short into All Hallows Fest, but I didn't want to compromise the integrity by cutting it down to 5 minutes. We did shoot it with the glass of red wine even. It was just that during the production process we came up with some additonal things for the story that really enhanced the film and made it longer than originally intended, but a much better film. Just looking for some extra time to do those things.

Kholi
11-03-2007, 07:27 PM
I know two things I can count on every fest:

The "What's next fest?" thread

and

The fight for more time.

The latter of which I look forward to less and less each time.

Weston
11-03-2007, 07:33 PM
maybe it could be....SCI FEST....2?

Mike@AF
11-03-2007, 07:52 PM
It's interesting how so many are against even trying a fest with a longer limit. Everyone assumes that a longer short film is just going to be bad. It takes time to develop characters and a story. More time would allow for that. Will you get some bad longer shorts? Of course. But you'll get some really good one too And there's plenty of bad shorter shorts so it's not necessarily the length of the film that makes it bad. Remember, the highest grossing film of all time is over 3 hours long and it also happened to tie for the most (or be second highest, I forget exactly) number of Academy Awards.

I also disagree that restrictions promote creativity. McKee's book is great and I've read it a few times, but I'm not going to agree with that statement just because he said it. Sure, you'll get people doing different things with those restrictions and that makes it seem creative, but you give someone a blank page to write on and say "write something" the ideas will be just as varied and creative.

Don't get me wrong... I'm all for the themes and certain restrictions. The themes make it all fun and interesting. The restrictions like the glass of wine and the logo makes it so that everyone is on a level playing ground as far as time to make the film. I think those are enough restrictions to place on everyone. Let them go with those and see what their best work can be. Let them use all the resources available to them so they can make the best film possible.

For the time issue, it's definitely more difficult to make a longer film... more time, more resources, better story, etc. Wouldn't it be great if DVXuser sprarked the creation of a really fantastic longer length short film? I think that would say something for the talent here overall. If increasing the time is a request being made after every fest as Kholi says then apparently there's multiple people that would like to see that happen. Why not give it a try? We'll never know how it would turn out unless we try it.

Justin Kuhn
11-03-2007, 08:12 PM
Why do you want to remove all restrictions? It seems to me that those are the point of these fests, it kind of enhances the sense of community. If you want to do something that's completely your own thing at the length of your choice, make it, post it, and submit it to other film festivals. Or to the fest for exhibition only, if you want to be involved in the communal experience.

Mike@AF
11-03-2007, 08:35 PM
I never said I wanted to remove all restrictions. Read my posts again and you'll see that.

Luis Caffesse
11-04-2007, 12:48 AM
It's interesting how so many are against even trying a fest with a longer limit. Everyone assumes that a longer short film is just going to be bad.

I don't think that's what people are assuming at all - although now that you bring it up, I will say that generally at least half of the entries are not exactly 'good' for reasons that have nothing whatsoever to do with length.

People haven't been saying longer short films are not good - people have been saying that longer films will make these fests a bit too bloated for this site. As many have pointed out, its already difficult to find the time to download, watch, and review all the entries. And, I would add again, nothing is stopping anyone from creating a longer entry - it simply won't be eligible for prizes (ie. Jack's film for HallowsFest).

Will you get some bad longer shorts? Of course. But you'll get some really good one too And there's plenty of bad shorter shorts so it's not necessarily the length of the film that makes it bad.

I couldn't agree more - length is not what makes most films bad.
Bad films will always be made, whether the limit is 5 minutes or 15 minutes.
And I also know that I'd rather watch a short bad film than a longer bad film.

McKee's book is great and I've read it a few times, but I'm not going to agree with that statement just because he said it.

Just to clarify, it was T.S. Elliot that wrote it, not McKee, and I wouldn't expect anyone to agree with anything based on who said it.
I think McKee used it in the introduction to his book, which is where I think I read it originally (that's all I was referring to). Didn't mean to give the impression that the quote was McKee's originally.

If increasing the time is a request being made after every fest as Kholi says then apparently there's multiple people that would like to see that happen. Why not give it a try? We'll never know how it would turn out unless we try it.

I'll be honest - that is the first argument for an increased timelimit that makes any sense to me. If the community overwhelmingly wants longer films...then maybe it should be considered. Though at the end of the day, this is Jarred's house... and I guarantee you it's probably already been discussed amongst the mods ad nauseum

Luis Caffesse
11-04-2007, 12:58 AM
Out of curiosity I started up a poll to see what people think:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=114621

Justin Kuhn
11-04-2007, 11:11 AM
I never said I wanted to remove all restrictions. Read my posts again and you'll see that.

Yeah my bad. Seems like the only way to both fit all the films on the server and lengthen the time restriction would be to limit the number of entries and have the mods decide which ones don't make the cut. But that's not really what we're about here, y'know?

mikkowilson
11-04-2007, 02:22 PM
Purly hypothetically speaking of course...

How would you feel if the time limit was laxed, but the file-size limit remained the same? Eg: 10min, 15min.. more? But you still only get 50MB for the final file.

Basically you would be trading TRT for resolution and picture quality.

- Mikko

Simon HŲfer
11-04-2007, 02:27 PM
Basically you would be trading TRT for resolution and picture quality.

- Mikko

Even worse resolution and picture quality? No way! I would immediately start throwing up.

At 5 minutes and 50mb there were only a few to deliver really good resolution and picture quality. How will it be at 10 minutes? Make sure there will be a tutorial about how to compress their entry :D

Weston
11-04-2007, 02:54 PM
sci-fest 2

Mike@AF
11-04-2007, 03:42 PM
I like the idea of paying a small fee to be able to upload a longer film with a larger file size. Still allow free entries at 5 mins with 50MB, but allow the option of paying for longer/larger films. It helps support the site too.

Barry_S
11-04-2007, 04:05 PM
Hey guys, keep the ideas flowing--I always keep track of these threads when I'm planning future fests. As far as the time limit goes, I understand completely that some of you would like longer run times, but we run into a couple of issues. For every minute we add, it translates into roughly 45 additional minutes of viewing time. So adding another 5 minutes (for 10 min total) would add another 3:45 of viewing time. My *single* biggest concern about the fest is the number of voters; I'd like to get the numbers up without opening the floodgates of friends/family/internet begging. I'm concerned that when the aggregate viewing time gets too high, it discourages viewers and voters.

If you start making a DVXFest film and you find that you're going to have a killer 9 minute film, I think we've succeeded even if you never enter. Keep in mind that the less restrictive the entry criteria, the more restrictive the screening process has to be. It doesn't take too many 15 minutes films before we need to have a pre-screening/jury process--and to me, that's the antithesis of what this fest is about.

As always, we're open to ideas and I appreciate any constructive suggestions.

navitas
11-04-2007, 04:11 PM
Hey guys, keep the ideas flowing--I always keep track of these threads when I'm planning future fests.

I think that was a hidden message :)

Mike@AF
11-04-2007, 04:47 PM
I think there's a couple things to consider.

1) If you think everyone is watching every second of the films during voting right now you're crazy. I'm guessing if most start watching a film and they aren't enjoying it within a couple minutes they're moving on to the next one anyways. I could be wrong, but I've read hints of this in other posts. So if the films are longer and this is happening then the viewing time isn't really increasing unless the films are actually good.

2) If the films are good, then people will watch them no matter how long they are. Ever watch a 3 hour long movie that seemed like it was half that length? How about a 90 minute movie that seemed like it was 4 hours long and would never end? If the films are good then people will watch them and vote, no matter the length.

Basically, it's not about the length of the film that's determining whether or not they get watched or whether or not they're voted on. It's about the quality of the film in general, the story, the characters, the visual style, the sound, etc..

To be honest, I watched every film for All Hallows Fest and can't decide how to vote. I didn't think any of them really stood out except for "A Little Mouth To Feed", which was the longest of them all and isn't eligible for voting. And I could tell that many of them were hurt because they had to be cut down to 5 mins. Some of them would certainly get my vote if I could see the entire film, but right now I can't justify those votes with the way they are in the fest.

Perhaps a poll asking the question "Was your All Hallows Fest entry cut down because of the 5 minute limit?" is in order. And a second poll asking those people who say yes: "Is the full length version of your All Hallows entry better than the short fest version?" You can even ask that for the other previous fests as well.

cinealma
11-04-2007, 05:01 PM
Perhaps a poll asking the question "Was your All Hallows Fest entry cut down because of the 5 minute limit?" is in order. And a second poll asking those people who say yes: "Is the full length version of your All Hallows entry better than the short fest version?" You can even ask that for the other previous fests as well.

That's kind of backwards thinking, no? I mean, basically, the rule, and ultimately the "challenge", of the fest is to make a film that is five minutes or less in running time. That, for the most part, is going to come in the form of a script. And I don't think I'm talking crazy when I say that if you've written a ten page script, you're not going to make a five minute film.

Five minutes? Heck, I'd shoot for no more than five pages. If you are an extremely visual filmmaker, then more like two or three.

Why is everybody caught up in "cramming" longer films into short time limits?

Here's a grand word of advice for those struggling with the time limit thing...

Divide the time limit by two. There's your script length. Five or six minutes? Write a three page script. That's probably a good start in the right direction.

Just my two cents. Personally, I'd love to have ten minutes. :laugh:

Cheers!:beer:

Mike@AF
11-04-2007, 05:31 PM
That is why I suggested having a requirement of an 8 page script and no more than 10 mins total running time. You still may get a five page script from many entries.

cinealma
11-04-2007, 06:20 PM
I'd love ten minutes. But I don't think the script requirement would work. Because then the mods would have to look at scripts. And then people would have to worry about script format, etc.

macgregor
11-06-2007, 05:56 AM
SimiloFest... everyone has to remake Similo...

LOL, that was fun!

Wannabebruce
11-07-2007, 12:11 PM
These fests remind me of the Star Trek franchise. Every second one is really cool (pretending Nemisis didn't happen).

The next one should be something like...oh say, Boredom fest. I'm sure Boredom, among other things, inspired Jack Ass.

...Playin solitare til dawn, with a deck of 51...

Then make the cool action/adventure/fantasy/sci-fi/torture porn one in the warmer months (Canada, eh)

Justin Kuhn
11-07-2007, 12:39 PM
I would defend AdFest and DramaFest but I kind of checked out for both of those.

Luis Caffesse
11-07-2007, 01:26 PM
I would defend AdFest and DramaFest but I kind of checked out for both of those.

I'd definitely be up for another dramafest....
(only because I just had an idea for a short today that would work for it)

Justin Kuhn
11-07-2007, 03:44 PM
I think the real Drama of the that Fest happened on the boards.

Weston
11-09-2007, 03:47 PM
Sci fest 2...

deedive
11-09-2007, 06:52 PM
how about
"remake fest" (where u make a 5minute or less version of the film of your choice)
"trailer fest" (make a 2minute trailer for a feature you are working on or any made up movie of your choice)
"cult fest"

Robbie Comeau
11-12-2007, 05:37 AM
Hmm, My guess is Love Fest? I don't know just a guess...

capitalP
11-12-2007, 09:16 AM
YES!!!! Lovefest is perfect.