PDA

View Full Version : "MEAT" - short film by Andrew Olson

andoguru
10-30-2007, 12:22 PM
Hey everyone,

I took some people's advice and started this thread for "Meat," my entry into the All Hallow's DVXfest 2007.

This was actually a second script I came up with for the online festival because the first one was too complicated to do.

We shot one day on October 21st. Besides a couple pick up shots that was the only shooting day.

I shot on the Canon HV20 and used the Letus 35 FE on some of the shots.

About 200 dollars for the entire shoot, but most of the props were returned.

I'll post a poster soon.

Thanks and good luck to everyone,

Ando

cinealma
10-30-2007, 12:25 PM
Welcome to the mix. I look forward to your film.

Cheers!

Simon Höfer
10-30-2007, 12:27 PM
Good luck! Also looking forward to you film :)

Mark Johnson
10-30-2007, 12:28 PM
Superb. ... hey, wasn't there an entry last year called MEAT?

andoguru
10-30-2007, 12:32 PM
Thanks guys.

There might have been another film called "Meat." But I wasn't on the forum then.

Thanks,
Ando

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-30-2007, 12:44 PM
Another HV20 user! I wish I had something like the Letus in my arsenal though.

Looking forward to your entry.

Cheers,

Mike

Marlon Ladd
10-30-2007, 01:45 PM
Good luck, Ando. Glad you got a thread started.

DarkMatter
10-30-2007, 02:10 PM
Will be looking for it! Good luck on your first!

traviscool
10-30-2007, 02:29 PM
Wow you shot on Oct 21st no wonder you had no time to post a thread. Good Luck.

mikkowilson
10-30-2007, 08:36 PM
*** SPOILERS FROM THIS POINT ON ***

Oh my god. I'm going to be sick! :zombie_smiley::zombie_smiley:

What a well made film. I had to look away for parts of it! Definitely in the running for "sick puppy award"! :thumbsup:

A well told story with great acting. The facial expressions really bought out the mood for this one, as backed up by the lighting the cinematography in general.
And that final (key) laugh combined with the wide shot of the silhouette in front of the window really nailed it!

- Mikko

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-30-2007, 08:49 PM
Disturbing and funny at the same time. Some great shots...

Well done.

Mike

Dmitry Yun
10-30-2007, 09:52 PM
This was awesome, congrats on a very very dark comedy it's a great success. :)

Jay Rodriguez
10-30-2007, 10:24 PM
wow, your a sick dude! lol, good movie.... One thing that caught me though was that there was no fire under the pan when the hand was being cooked.....

andoguru
10-30-2007, 10:40 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys.

Funny thing is...the stove was on when we shot that shot...for some reason it didn't show up even though we had it full blast!

Ando

Mark Harris
10-30-2007, 10:55 PM
*********************SPOILERS*********************

Curiously enough, the guys who made the movie called 'MEAT' in HorrorFest were every bit as twisted as you. :)

This is a really, really great, fun, sick, interesting idea, and pretty well executed. I think the idea is so great, I would have liked to have seen some more production value to back it up. But well done nonetheless. It was engrossing and mesmerizing in it's weirdness and sickness.

One thing that struck me was, I guess I felt like the idea got a little confused at the end. I thought you were exploring him eating himself, but then threw in bit about the kids. That confused the issue to me some, because I thought it was about a man becoming obsessed with consuming himself, and not so much about consuming humans in general.

I think if you ever decided to come back to this idea and expand on it, I would choose one or the other, and to me, consuming himself is the much more interesting choice. Like, how much of himself can he consume before he just has no more appendages to hold utensils? How many creative ways does he come up with to keep eating himself.

I think if you had pursued this much further, it would have taken your very very cool and interesting movie into a SUBLIME movie.

Good work!!!

andoguru
10-30-2007, 11:08 PM
******SPOILERS*******

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the comments and watching my film.

I thought about exploring that, but it seemed like it would get repetitive and a natural progression would be that he would realize...hey, this is crazy to be eating myself when I can eat other people instead.

I just finished downloading ALL of the Hallow's Fest films. Time for a SHORT MOVIE MARATHON. Where's my popcorn?

Laters,
Ando

StefanHaynes
10-30-2007, 11:24 PM
This ruled. Brilliant work. Well done.

Justin Kuhn
10-30-2007, 11:44 PM
Loved it, reminded me of a Stephen King story--"Ladyfingers" I believe it was called. That guy was on a desert island, so he didn't have the choice. I kind of agree with Mark--one would think that as soon as he discovered the taste for human flesh he would skip cutting any more of himself off. Luckily for those kids he was a little late on that realization, it's hard to catch a small fast person when you're on crutches.

Brandon Rice
10-31-2007, 12:27 AM
Nice.. sick twisted... what's up with cannabilism this round? lol...

good work though, seriously... made me feel sick to my stomach... it evoked feelings... that's good.

Billy Pilgrim
10-31-2007, 12:52 AM
The dark humor of this film really clicked with me. I liked it a lot. Very off-beat and twisted, which is right up my alley. Good work.

andoguru
10-31-2007, 01:52 AM
Thanks guys for comments and watching the my film. It's such a great environment to be able to show a film and get comments so quickly. What a truly useful resource.

I'm watching everything tonight and I'll be posting some comments tomorrow probably.

Laters,
Ando

bosindy
10-31-2007, 02:13 AM
spoiler***

cool film, I saw a film recently that explores the same topic, (self cannibalization) but I thought this was done better. In this film though, I wondered why not go directly to others once you have the taste for human flesh. I then puked. good job.

smashedburrito
10-31-2007, 09:41 AM
I liked it. It was short, sweet, and in a sick way funny. Good work.

Glideshot
10-31-2007, 10:16 AM
I have to admit...I got a little queasy watching this one (that's a GOOD thing)! I've watched about half so far, and this is by far the most original (if that's even possible anymore).

You are certainly in my top 3 thus far, congrats you Sicko!

cinealma
10-31-2007, 10:36 AM
REVIEW:
And a cannibal is born! Good stuff, great idea. Looked good, sounded good. Acting wasn't too over the top, which worked. It had a very light, whimsical attitude about it, which really sold it. Great job. I liked this one a lot. :beer:

FILMMAKER-TO-FILMMAKER:
This is really a good looking film. I would have liked to seen a little more blood splatter when he's lopping stuff off himself. The ending turned serious with the kids playing outside and kind of killed the dark humor of the piece. I'm thinking something like establishing a character in the beginning that we would have all enjoyed thinking about the potential of him/her being the guy's first meal: a nagging landlord, the mother-in-law, a stuffy neighbor. I'd like to see you really polish this one up.

Dustin R. Rogan
10-31-2007, 10:44 AM
Liked the flick, though I wanted to throw up my Subway sandwich whilst watching it. (Cold Cut Trio ironically enough :shocked:) Good stuff man!

Dustin

(ps i'm associated with Retribution)
(http://www.dvxfest.com/allhallowsfest/loader.php?id=11264)

wesley
10-31-2007, 11:28 AM
story wise this kinda felt familiar but it still worked for me. you had some really well chosen shots which worked perfectly. gonna save this one for a second viewing as well

andoguru
10-31-2007, 06:16 PM
Thanks for watching my film. I really appreciate all the comments.

cinealma: Thanks for the truthiness. I do like getting criticism because it helps me develop into a better filmmaker and that's what we're all here for right. I'm obviously pretty sadistic so him seeing the kids and people walking wasn't too serious to me because it just meant he was going to eat other people in general. I do think that you suggestion would have been a nice addition, adding an unlikeable character that could be the first victim, but keeping it simple and perserving the 'surprise' of what he's going to do seems better with just the story focusing on him.

Thanks,
Ando

DarkMatter
10-31-2007, 09:00 PM
The look of this film I think could use some improvement, but the storyline and acting were very good and made me grin, and laugh goulishly!:zombie_smiley:

mentatDUKE
10-31-2007, 09:35 PM
This was a really excellent film. Kept me engaged the entire time. Your actor did a brilliant job. The audience is able to get inside his head without any dialogue. Just facial expressions, emoting, and human sounds. (I swear I think I saw him tear up as he ate himself for the 1st time)

Your images were lovely and fit the tone of the piece, the score was effective, and the art direction was so good it "didn't exist".

This one I'll remember for quite a while. Very clever.

andoguru
10-31-2007, 09:58 PM
Thanks guys.

It's great to hear you enjoyed it.

Movie Stunts: Any recommendations about the look of the film? Is it more color correction or different types of shots? This actually is still an 'open' project as in I will probably go back and adjust things because a few people have suggested entering it in other festivals.

Thanks.

DarkMatter
10-31-2007, 10:05 PM
The style of the film was dead on, But I think it could use some CC.

mrcheapyasui
10-31-2007, 10:07 PM
hahahhaha that made me kinda hungry.

andoguru
10-31-2007, 10:16 PM
Hehe, mrcheapyasui....I guess that's a good reaction. On set, it was very hard to not eat the props.

movie stunts: I did actually do quite a bit of color correcting. I even was doing tests to adjust for the mp4 codec washing things out. I didn't use a calibrating video monitor though. Problem with color correcting for internet viewing is that everyone's monitor is so different...lcds, crts...etc.

*****SPOILER******

Was is overall that you thought it needed more color correction or certain parts? I tried to make the parts before he cut himself normal and balanced then went contrasty and green for the rest of the film. Did that not come through very well?

I like getting the feedback.

Thanks for the comments.

Matt Harris
11-01-2007, 01:27 AM
Andrew i really liked your film, and it reminded me of the stephen king story from Skeleton Key that HappyGobo mentioned. So im gonna assume he basically went insane by slowly eating himself and then later realized the local kids would be a tasty treat. I was ok with that, and i actually liked that your story was a black comedy that turned ominous, ambiguous and unsettling by the end. theres nothing more vile then the thought process behing harming children. period.

technically i loved the cinematography.

one simple thing to do in the future that i think will help sound-wise:
and if you did this i apologize, im just throwing this out there. Throw a compressor or a gate on your audio, experiment a little, and find a setting that removes the camera hum and hiss from the on board mic. I think that'll help a lot.

andoguru
11-01-2007, 10:39 AM
Hey Defcon,

Thanks for the review and advice.

I'll have to read that Stephen King story sometime.

The sound I actually put a compressor on, but my settings could have been off. I actually eq'ed most of the camera hiss out, but put in a roomtone track to smooth out hiccups, but its kinda loud at times. Since there wasn't any dialogue, most of the sound was recorded from an on camera Rode NTG2 into a beachtek. The beachtek is pretty noisy sometimes and it definitely would have help to use a mixer and maybe the mic on a boom. Mixing with headphones and my computer speakers probably wasn't good enough to hear all the little hiccups in the soundtrack either. I'll probably go back and mix it better since I play on tweaking and adjusting the project based on the comments of dvxusers and other filmmakers.

Thanks again.

Sincerely,
Ando

Blaine
11-01-2007, 10:47 AM
As I started to watch this I was thinking, here we go again... Without knowing anything about this, I knew he was going to cut his finger off and when it happened the he was going to cook it. When he cooked it I actually said to the tv, "why don't you eat the rest of your hand?" and he did. I was ready to write it off. Then came the shot with the ear. That was a LMAO moment. I loved that. It turned it around for me and I enjoyed your movie. It just started off rocky but finished okay...

DarkMatter
11-01-2007, 11:09 AM
movie stunts: I did actually do quite a bit of color correcting. I even was doing tests to adjust for the mp4 codec washing things out. I didn't use a calibrating video monitor though. Problem with color correcting for internet viewing is that everyone's monitor is so different...lcds, crts...etc.

Must be it, I just watched it again, yeah, colors must have been washed out from the compression.
If I was that good, I would eat myself!

Ian-T
11-01-2007, 11:15 AM
I think I agree with Blaine's take on this. it kind of started out predictable and it was like a "here we go again"....but then the ear missing cracked me up...and from that point I realized what type of film I was watching. What cracked me up the most was that "Jack nicholson" moment...that crazy evil looking smile while eyeballing the kids. This was done very well.

andoguru
11-01-2007, 11:18 AM
Hey Blaine,

Thanks for watching it and the honesty.

****SPOILERS****

It seems you are as sadistic as me, seeing the finger cutting and then eating the hand coming early on.

Was that because of the shots in the intro? Did this being a horror/hallow's eve fest have anything to do with you jumping to that conclusion early on?

I'm glad you liked the ear part...that makes me laugh everytime, too. There was actually some other intro shots for the film but it had to be cut to 'get to the point.'

Did the pegleg do anything for you?

Thanks again for your comments.

Best,
Ando

andoguru
11-01-2007, 11:20 AM
Thanks Ian-T.

I did want the beginning of the film to be 'normal' before the messed up stuff began to happen.

Glad you liked those ending shots. It was really hard to get them shot right.

Thanks,
Ando

George_Bailey
11-01-2007, 12:38 PM
This was a cool film. I liked it.

I didn't really buy the initial "finger in the frypan" - it just didn't look too "finger-like" to me. I mean, if people are willing to lop off their own fingers to try and put one over on Wendy's, maybe you should have similarly put out for your own film, man!

Your actor was really good. Maniacal. Perfectly over the top.

Nice camera work on the fry pan closeups. Good adapter use.

Story-wise, I would have played up his dilemma about which bits of himself would be lopped off first. That could have been REALLY funny and perhaps a better ending if he got to certain appendages and ... was conflicted - if you catch my drift.

Thanks for making this. Cool film.

Jazz Dog
11-01-2007, 01:01 PM
Dude, I liked it. I was actually laughing out loud down in my basement studio watching it. The cut from the fridge where all of the dudden you notice he has been chopping off more stuff to eat was great.
Very fun to watch

Blaine
11-01-2007, 01:07 PM
Hey Blaine,

Thanks for watching it and the honesty.

****SPOILERS****

It seems you are as sadistic as me, seeing the finger cutting and then eating the hand coming early on.

Was that because of the shots in the intro? Did this being a horror/hallow's eve fest have anything to do with you jumping to that conclusion early on?

I'm glad you liked the ear part...that makes me laugh everytime, too. There was actually some other intro shots for the film but it had to be cut to 'get to the point.'

Did the pegleg do anything for you?

Thanks again for your comments.

Best,
Ando
Yeah, I liked the pegleg, too.

Jay Rodriguez
11-01-2007, 01:56 PM
I liked this one more then I thought I would. I have to say that it's amungst my top 4 so far

Kholi
11-01-2007, 03:41 PM
Top three here. I haven't gone into review mode, scarcely viewing this entry and that so I'll be back.

Definitely top three.

Justin Kuhn
11-01-2007, 04:01 PM
Top three here too. I watched it a second time and the end gave me chills. Delicious, meaty chills.

mikkowilson
11-01-2007, 06:13 PM
I really like how the peg-leg was first "shown" with just the audio as he walked. By then I was expecting *something* else to have been eaten, and then hearing the "clunk" instantly made me aware that the leg had gone. Great use of sound right there.

- Mikko

CoreySteel
11-01-2007, 07:56 PM
I registered because I had to make a comment about this movie.
Wow... I've never feel sick in my life when watching a movie... Until today...
When I was watching Saw, Hostel and other "sick" movies, everyone looked away, except me... I was smiling... But with this movie... Hh... Can't say much more.
Too bad that I can't vote :)

GREAT JOB!

edit: PS. its 3AM here and I have to go to bed... Damn :)

Charli
11-01-2007, 08:20 PM
Makes me not want to eat meat. Jesus! I liked his 'wacko' look as he fried bits of himself in the pan. Nice. Good job.

Joops
11-01-2007, 08:28 PM
One of my favs. Unique simple story. Had me giggling. Well done. (Or over easy)

Ben Sliker
11-02-2007, 09:38 AM
funny and disturbing all at the same time, good work.

your actors facial expressions and mannerisms really stole the show, and that creepy jingle of a tune was awesome as well.

I have to say one of the funniest parts for me was the insert shots of the cow painting. Like the cow was looking down on him or something, really caught me as hilarious.

The execution on this piece was really well done, but I think a little bit more money could have been thrown into the production value, particularly the set dressing, say, it's obvious he has an obsession with meat, why not show that everywhere, little cows and pigs in the opening shots. Might have been funny to use those in insert shots, just like the cow painting.

It's really cool to see what can be done with a little camera like the HV20, i'd almost like to see a HD version without the compression to see how well it holds up. One of my favorites in the fest.

andoguru
11-02-2007, 10:48 AM
Thanks everyone for watching and the comments.

I'm glad you guys liked it.

Hybridtheory: I do agree some more money could have been put into set dressing. I've shot at that house a few times and it always looks the same...boring, but I didn't have a set designer. One of the things I do want to improve on in the future. Thanks.

Thanks, Joops and Charli.

CoreySteel: Wow, that's really cool that you register just to make a comment about my film. That really means a lot to me. And I'm glad I made you feel sick...I guess that's good. :)

mikkowilson: Yeah, I've made it a rule for all my films to incorporate sound and think about it while writing and on set. I used to do location sound during and after school and my friends would always worry about sound later. "Its 50% of the picture" I'd always say half joking, but I think it add a whole other element to the film. I'm glad you liked it.

HappyGobo, Kholi, Jay R.: Thanks, I love it when people enjoy watching something I made.

Thanks Jazz Dog.

George Bailey: It's funny you mention the Wendy's thing because at one point the actor was actually considered cutting some of his flesh off to make it look realistic. Crazy huh?!? He's a good friend of mine from school and our AD, also from school, is a nurse and was egging him on to do it "saying that he could patch him up" and tell him a good place to cut so there wouldn't be any real permanent damage. Even though I was intrigued by the notion, I didn't want him to really cut himself because that's crazy...and it was early in the shoot and we had a lot to film...Talk about being into a role huh?

Best,

Ando

wwsdmf
11-02-2007, 12:12 PM
i liked you film a lot. it was gritty, funny and grusome. your film is in my top five

andoguru
11-02-2007, 03:37 PM
Thanks a lot, wwsdmf.

limeyx
11-02-2007, 03:54 PM
*********************SPOILERS*********************

Curiously enough, the guys who made the movie called 'MEAT' in HorrorFest were every bit as twisted as you. :)
One thing that struck me was, I guess I felt like the idea got a little confused at the end. I thought you were exploring him eating himself, but then threw in bit about the kids. That confused the issue to me some, because I thought it was about a man becoming obsessed with consuming himself, and not so much about consuming humans in general.

I think if you ever decided to come back to this idea and expand on it, I would choose one or the other, and to me, consuming himself is the much more interesting choice. Like, how much of himself can he consume before he just has no more appendages to hold utensils? How many creative ways does he come up with to keep eating himself.

Good work!!!

I would definitely agree -- I can only imagine the disgust I could feel as he took off more and more of his body parts to eat -- I wonder if anyone has ever eaten any of their internal organs for instance ?

Maybe at the end he has to have one of the neighbors kids come over and chop off and feed him the parts of himself he can no longer reach to cut off

Now I am grossing myself out!

EDIT:
I would (I think) also have liked to have seen more of his "struggle" between his appetite for his own flesh, and kind of knowing what he was doing was "wrong" or going to kill him.

if say, he had had to go in to work with a 1/2 chopped off ear or hand, or his girlfriend came over and started asking him why he suddenly had less body parts etc ...

andoguru
11-02-2007, 04:08 PM
Hey limeyx,

That would be great if he had to enlist someone else to help him cut off more of his body to eat when he no longer could. A scene of him trying to convince someone else to do that would be cool.

Alas, that would take the story off in a different direction and also be probably more indepth...maybe a sequel...no...how about a trilogy?

Thanks,
Ando

BergVision
11-02-2007, 05:20 PM
Two thumbs up, er off, on this one!

J.R. Hudson
11-03-2007, 10:37 AM
I was laughing out loud on this one while also feeling queezy

Great job; simple idea, twisted, well executed. Really enjoyed this one.

ecking
11-03-2007, 10:57 AM
This was great, really well acted, directed and executed. It shows that when you know what you're doing even the hv20 can run with the big boys, camera is now a non issue.
I personally found the static shots in the beginning to be really effective, sometimes just filling the frame with something with no music just some simple sound can really grab a person and bring them in, this entry used audio to the full effect.
Great job.

One thing I did notice I don't know if this is the hv20 or the way the pulldown was removed but when the actor moved quickly in the frame he looked kind of stuttery like there was a slight blur or lag or something. But I only noticed it twice and even then it wasn't much of a big deal, I'm just curious.

Marlon Ladd
11-03-2007, 12:15 PM
Yep, I thought this one was hilarious and twisted! The funniest part was when the guy was opening the fridge and then you see he had already basically eaten his ear. It was also funny when the guy taped the fork to his stub or stump. LOL. WTF?? Very entertaining.

J.R. Hudson
11-03-2007, 12:38 PM
Super entertaining

I could not make this fest (what a shock) and now am smacking myself realizing this approach was so simple yet so damn effective; I wish my own self could have seen something like this in my own head :/

sean90291
11-03-2007, 12:41 PM
Finally. Someone told a real story with some consistency. Simple, internal, sick. I liked it. More importantly for me, I loved the story more than the camera work (though there were some great images). It appears Andoguru is a real filmmaker. One of the few around here. I look forward to more twisted stuff from this guy!

J.R. Hudson
11-03-2007, 12:44 PM
You could really take this film farther; just go so over the top with it. I can see a head sitting there eating what is left over of the entire body ...

LOL

This had some early Raimi sickness going on; comedic, sick, over the top ... Might be my fav so far.

Ladyhazle
11-03-2007, 01:38 PM
I wish I had enough posts to vote! This would be in my top three for sure! The simplicity was great and the gross-out factor was even better. I have to admit, I was laughing through the whole thing, because it grossed me out so badly (I hope I'm not the only one who reacts that way to sick and nasties! hahaha).

The actors' look when he saw the piece of his own finger on the frying pan was so good. Nicely done!

lauralouface
11-03-2007, 04:49 PM
HA! This movie was awesome - very disturbing in a humorous way. Great shots and the actor did a really good job of portraying pain and transitioned into crazy really well =)

deedive
11-04-2007, 01:01 AM
very cool and original idea. I enjoyed it alot.:)

Maximus
11-04-2007, 04:50 AM
Very well done! You started off rock solid. The title card with the sizzling sound was perfect. One of my fav comedies of the fest. I thought the sliced off chunk of finger was very realistic. The cu's of the meat being dropped into the pan, forked, then eaten were very good. His orgasmic reaction and choice of music at 1:29 was genius!

The build to the end was good, but I wouldn't want it to go on any longer. Five minutes was a good length to tell your twisted tale. I noticed a distinct shift in tone to cartoon at 1:47 with his crazy face. The bloody stumps and wounds were very fake looking, obviously, hence the cartoon tag. Not a bad choice, but I would have preferred staying in a more realistic world for the remainder of the film. The last few shots showing him reluctant to cut off his remaining leg were very cleverly revealed and was the perfect motivation for him to start considering other sources of "his favorite kind of meat." A serial killer is born. Maybe this is how Hannibal Lector started out.

For some reason the man was frequently out of focus, yet the meat was always lovingly in focus. Do you like that meat better than your actor? :laugh:

Simon Höfer
11-04-2007, 04:56 AM
For some reason the man was frequently out of focus, yet the meat was always lovingly in focus. Do you like that meat better than your actor? :laugh:

This flick is called "MEAT", what did you expect? :D

Maximus
11-04-2007, 05:15 AM
This flick is called "MEAT", what did you expect? :D

:grin:

gabrielflorit
11-04-2007, 06:22 PM
GROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSS!!!!!!!!!!! Oh good grief. I love how he chops off the tiniest bit at first, and we see this small piece. Next shot, the smallest bit of meat on a huge white plate. Ah brilliant! Good acting too. Great lighting and composition, and the sound was well done. No complaints on this one, fun to watch but it made me flinch and squirm.... Seriously, very gross. Congrats!

david jerome
11-04-2007, 06:46 PM
Awesome film. It's in my final three. Very entertaining and sick. Left me wondering what human meat tastes like.

david

Sprocketboy
11-04-2007, 06:50 PM
Meat is definitely one of the top 3.

RossShep
11-04-2007, 06:54 PM
Totally agree, 'Meat' is one of my favourite films in this comp by far - well done!!

Fantastic pacing throughout, well shot, well acted, well directed AND good audio. The story is what counts above all else and this was well rounded and tight.

I like a lot. Yes indeed.

limeyx
11-04-2007, 07:13 PM
Hey limeyx,

That would be great if he had to enlist someone else to help him cut off more of his body to eat when he no longer could. A scene of him trying to convince someone else to do that would be cool.

Alas, that would take the story off in a different direction and also be probably more indepth...maybe a sequel...no...how about a trilogy?

Thanks,
Ando

Heh, I can see it now: "Meat II -- My Niece is a med student" where he has to talk the med student into cutting out as many internal organs to feed to him, without killing him :)

but I do agree it would be hard to keep the "humor" side if you take it much further, and that definitely changes the tone of things in a big way.

Nick

Jason Ramsey
11-04-2007, 09:04 PM
Hey man. I just wanted to say that as I was watching this, it was a great (maybe I am sick for saying this), fun little piece to watch. It was engaging, right up until the end. I mean like until it came time for the ending:)

I felt that this would have been such a gem had you kept the ending going with the vibe and mood, and the place I felt you were taking us.

In otherwords, I thought if the ending had stayed in that house, and internal with that character, and something more "quirky" and fun-ish, this would have been a great use of the 5 minute format.

Perhaps if the guy were sitting there with nothing left and craving something more to eat but unable to move. I don't know. I'm just trying to say that I felt like it should have stayed with him. The ending was an ending for another movie. It didn't match the fun and wild ride you were taking me on up to that point.

Anyways, nice work man. Thanks for sharing.

Later,
Jason

Justin Kuhn
11-04-2007, 09:12 PM
I disagree, it seemed like a natural progression.

Michael_Petro
11-04-2007, 09:18 PM
wow that was pretty sick... did i mention that was pretty sick... What i thought was cool was that it grossed me out with very little blood... nice work... i really feel bad for saying that :) just glad i had steak yesterday...

Jack Daniel Stanley
11-04-2007, 11:46 PM
Excellent job.

Entertaining.

Appropriate subject/story for the time limit.

Clear cinematic story telling skills in the use of shots and particularly the cutting.

Great job.

One of my top 3.

andoguru
11-05-2007, 03:28 PM
Hey everyone,

Wow, thanks for all the comments. I love being able to show people my short film.

Sorry it's been so long since I replied...just been swamped working, you know how it goes.

Thanks Bergvision

J.R. Hudson: Yeah, I tried to keep it simple. It's easy to have an idea too big for a short film, especially 5 minutes or less. Thanks for watching. Sam Raimi is one of my favorite directors! Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness are brilliant.

Ecking: Yes, the HV20 is a great little camera. The workarounds are a pain sometimes, but you get used to it and the image quality is amazing. I always try to incorporate audio in an interesting way...I'm a sound nerd. I used TMPG to remove the pulldown. I didn't notice any of the lag while editing. Maybe it was just the compression h.264 trying to keep up with the fast motion. Thanks.

Leenewton, thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

sean90291: Wow, thanks for the kind words. I hope to make many more films and definitely share them with dvxuser.com.

ladyhazle: Don't worry, I think most people laugh at the sick and twisted. BTW, your avatar kicks ass, literally! Thanks.

lauralouface: I think it's awesome you called my film "awesome." That's one of my favorite words. Thanks for watching and the comment.

deedive: Thanks a bunch.

maximus: I do love to consume meat. I'm a Carnivore with a capital C. The special efx's weren't the best in the world and I was trying to shoot around them because it was supposed to be more implied instead of directly shown. Hannibal the Self-Cannibal! Thanks.

Nomis: Indeed. Thanks.

gabrielflorit: I'm glad it grossed you out as weird as that sounds. Thanks for the comments.

david jerome: "Left me wondering what human meat tastes like." I would think it would taste like chicken. Thanks.

sprocketboy: Thanks!

RossShep: Thanks!

limeyx: Yes, that would take it to a whole other level of sick.

Jason Ramsey: I do appreciate the criticisms. A few people have suggested following the character through until he had eaten himself to the point of being helpless. I had considered that while writing this but I felt that wasn't the direction I wanted to take the story in. It was better for me to show him trying to eat his hand and not being able to pick up his fork. This was enough to let the audience know that this can't go on forever because at one point he wouldn't be able to do anything. So it would be pretty much that same situation (not being able to pick up the fork to eat his hand that he needed to pick up the fork) over and over again but with different body parts. To me that would be repetitive and become not interesting story wise except for the grossness factor of it. I do admit that seeing him making a homemade guillotine or contraption to chop himself up more would be cool, but I think this story would suffer.

Thanks again for the comments and I'm glad you like most of it. :)

HappyGobo: Thanks for chiming in and sticking up for my ending.

Michael Petro: Thanks. I've been eating all the prop meat since the shoot...there was over 200 dollars of it which was the whole budget.

Jack Daniel Stanley: Thanks for all the comments. I appreciated you watching my film.

To all the filmmakers: I hope to be posting my comments on all the Hallow's Fest film in the next day or so. I feel a little silly not having left any comments while so many have been able to take the time to comment on mine. But I got my text file going with all my comments for every film so as soon as I'm done I'll post them up.

Sincerely,
Andoguru

SimonB
11-05-2007, 04:07 PM
A fantastic idea that was well executed. Looking forward to seeing more stuff from you.:)

Jason Ramsey
11-05-2007, 06:38 PM
I wanted to add that out of the films I have seen so far, this one has the best acting. It was the most effective and it worked very well from start to finish in that regard. Still don't think the ending fits the vibe of the rest of it though :)But, hey, that's just me.

Later,
Jason

Chris Messineo
11-06-2007, 07:55 AM
This was great.

It was twisted, but in the best way. My favorite shot was the look on his face, when he's cooking his hand, fantastic.

This was a wonderfully dark story. Well told and acted. It had me laughing and watching through my fingers at the same time.

andoguru
11-06-2007, 10:23 PM
Hey everyone,

Thanks Simonb.

Thanks Jason. I've always thought my friend is a very good actor. He likes to be behind the camera probably more than in front, but I hope to encourage him to stay in front of it as much at least. I want to convince you that it is the right ending the way it is, but to each his own. That's why this is such a great artistic medium because there can be so many points of view and stories told in different ways that each viewer can interpret in their own way as well.

Chris Messineo: Thanks a lot for the comments. I'm glad you liked that shot of him watching his hand cook...I actually directed the actor to play that take like that just to see how it went and it ended up being the one I used. Thanks for watching.

Best,
Ando

jvi97
11-08-2007, 07:51 AM
Ando,
I liked your film, I thought the lighting and acting were great. The transition from a tip of the finger to whole body parts made the film more realistic. Having spent some time in Korea I've often wondered what animals/ body parts I may have eaten. Look forward to watching more of your films, take care.

Jeff

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-08-2007, 08:03 AM
I see you did a fair amount of reviews last night... still waiting for mine! :laugh:

I watched your film again and I'm going to add a little more of an in-depth review.

The movie looked great! Nice DOF with the adapter. I wish I had one.
I loved the actor as well, he was spot on and very into it. The moment when he takes that first bite is my favourite of the movie.

Now, some people think that you should have went all the way and had him consume himself. I don't. I would have preferred for him to notice the children playing outside earlier. Maybe just a hand and an ear missing. Have him shake it off and try to resist the urge.

Then have the doorbell ring later that evening... maybe a girl scout shows up. A few more shots of the frying pan and a shot of the guy stuffing little legs into the freezer. Maybe a little too dark, but if he was going to contemplate eating kids I think he would have done it sooner.

As is, you have a great movie and it really worked for me.

Can't wait to see your next one!

From one HV20 user to another. Well done.

Cheers,

Mike

MOVIE MASTER
11-08-2007, 08:08 PM
good stuff I enjoyed it from begining to end!!!

andoguru
11-08-2007, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the comments guys.

jvi97: Thanks man. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Was it Korea where it's okay to boil cats to eat?

Kyser: Thanks, Mike. I actually had some scenes where we see the kids outside earlier, but I thought it slowed the film down too much and didn't start where we needed to focus first. For me, I wanted the audience to be completely focused on the character consuming himself like the rest of the world didn't exist. Then when he breaks down and realizes that he can't keep doing this forever the kids come in.

I laughed when you talked about the girl scout showing up and then him stuff little legs in the freezer, but that was something that would probably happen later on in this char's life. I wanted to focus on this short period of his evolution to becoming possibly a cannibal murderer.

Thanks Movie Master for checking my short out.

Laters,
Ando

Michele Seidman
11-08-2007, 10:24 PM
Ando

I finally got to see Meat. Acting...top notch. Idea...omg how insanely gruesome yet funny somehow. I almost felt as if I was watching the Road Runner cartoon all over. You know how that darned Coyote has the means to call Acme and get things drop shipped but can't seem to order dinner in...Well for me...watching your film to the end was like finally seeing that darned Coyote figuring it out!

And still so disturbing at the same time. Loved it!

Michele

andoguru
11-08-2007, 10:46 PM
Thanks Michele. I'll let me actor know you comment. I'm sure it will mean a lot coming from a very good actor such as yourself.

Laters,
Ando

Michele Seidman
11-09-2007, 08:33 AM
Thanks Michele. I'll let me actor know you comment. I'm sure it will mean a lot coming from a very good actor such as yourself.

Laters,
Ando

Ando

I found it interesting to note that your actor was also an editor on the project. Please pass this on to him...

I knew an actor who had been an editor for 20 years and still did the acting on the side. When he decided to retired from editing and just do the acting...he started booking work left and right.

I have a theory about him from the comments the casting people made (i was an agent at the time and his agent). All the casting people made comments on his reactions and closing shots during auditions. I had this feeling that he learned more from editing about acting than in acting classes...BUT before people stop taking classes I need to clarify that he did study at one of the best studios in California first.

I think as en editor he started to understand what work of an actors remained behind in the project and what did not. I think he saw how over the top stuff got chopped and the subtle stuff spoke volumes. He shared some of what he learned and I started coaching my students to work hard on their closing reactions (always worked on reaction but added this factor).

Your 'actor' may want to stay behind the scenes but he really can act and has a great 'every man' quality to him which could mean some decent work too! Just tell him I said not to give up the idea....it would be a pity because he handled that part so well.

His reactions...so subtle...yet they spoke loudly...loved it!

andoguru
11-09-2007, 02:59 PM
Hey Michele,

I think you made a very good point about how being an editor or actually any other facet of the filmmaking process can help strengthen another aspect, in this case acting.

I definitely feel that Everett's(the actor) acting has benefitted from being behind the camera and in post-production. When someone gets to be along on a project from Pre-production to production to post-production, it really helps to open the eyes to why things are done the way they are.

Oh, don't worry about Everett...he will always be in front of the camera because he loves the attention and usually casts himself in all his own projects which has never seemed to hurt it. I'll post some of the other stuff we have worked on together...most of the time it is him in front and helping behind as well.

Laters,
Ando

Michele Seidman
11-09-2007, 03:49 PM
Hey Michele,

I think you made a very good point about how being an editor or actually any other facet of the filmmaking process can help strengthen another aspect, in this case acting.

When someone gets to be along on a project from Pre-production to production to post-production, it really helps to open the eyes to why things are done the way they are.

Ando

I totally agree and trust me...I am learning lot just from reading the posts and debating points. I have been at this a long time but seldom does the actor get to watch the inner workings and that is a shame. I think if more of us had a better vision of the final look we could give a better performance in general. I was luck with Jack...he gave me plenty to work with but that was rare...and I have worked with some good names too.

Geoff_R
11-09-2007, 11:42 PM
Ando, Nice flick. It was definitely something new and refreshing (refreshing seems like such an odd word choice when discussing this film...) But yes...it was refreshing to view something so different from what one might expect in this fest. This was definitely the strongest character piece of the fest. His arc is so well executed and I love the ending even though I kind of knew and hoped it would go there. I realized you had won me over at the following point...your character is watching the kids outside and in my mind I'm saying, "Yes! Eat them you idiot! Eat them, not yourself!"

Congrats on a well executed piece!

andoguru
11-10-2007, 01:20 AM
Hey Geoff,

"This is crazy...eating myself...I should be eating other people!" is what I said in my head when I first thought of this script. I'm glad you posted about that particular scene of it.

Sometimes, with a punchline in a joke or in a movie, the audience is going to know what is coming and hope that it is coming and that's not a bad thing because I think there can be a connection there, where the audience enjoys the fact that they can tell what was going to happen next just a little before it happens. I know I do.

Thanks for comments and kudos for the stunning cinematography on "Welcome to the Party."

Laters,
Ando

Michele Seidman
11-11-2007, 01:17 AM
I realized you had won me over at the following point...your character is watching the kids outside and in my mind I'm saying, "Yes! Eat them you idiot! Eat them, not yourself!"

Congrats on a well executed piece!

Geoff

YES YES...I so agree!

And also agree with Ando on your camera work Geoff...on Welcome to the Party....but I did not know it was you until just now. I especially love the shots towards the end when she is running around...something about them managed to be tight and frenetic at the same time...does that even make sense when I say that?... :)

Brandon Rice
11-12-2007, 12:11 AM
congrats for 2nd!

Jack Daniel Stanley
11-12-2007, 02:32 AM
Conrgats. Voted you in my top three as well. Simple idea done really well and a lot of fun too.

:beer:

capitalP
11-12-2007, 11:36 AM
This was fun to watch, Hanibal Lecter gone mad, again I'm seeing so many great performances, this was simple, no SFX or explosions and it still was entertaining, your actor really sold this film, bravo to him.

Good work.

Matt Harris
11-12-2007, 11:45 AM
The performance was great for sure, but the directing sold it for me as well. great camera placements and an overall confident look / approach. on my first viewing of MEAT i knew it was going to place. Congrats!

andoguru
11-12-2007, 03:24 PM
Hey Guys,

Thanks! Congrats to everyone, too.

Marlon Ladd
11-12-2007, 04:20 PM
Yep, congrats Ando.

jpsheets
11-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Great job man! Downright nasty. I would have like to have seen the end of his finger bleeding out when he chopped it off, but other than that, great job.

best,

JP

Gohanto
11-24-2007, 04:28 PM
Nice work. LOVED the music and picture ideas.

Rangerman
12-03-2007, 06:45 PM
Hi, I really enjoyed your film. Out of all the films that was in this festival, this is the film that a buddy and I constantly talked about.

For starters I loved the Ice Cream Man music that played when the character first ate himself. It was like pure innocent joy that he was experiencing, but obviously it was wrong at the same time, that was funny as hell.

The ending was hilarious too. The thought of a peg legged man running around trying to eat other people. I kept thinking of the kids running circles around him and playing a mean joke. Good job with the film.

andoguru
12-03-2007, 09:54 PM
Wow, thanks for the comments guys. I'm glad you enjoyed my film.

Best,
Ando

c.g._eads
12-04-2007, 01:18 AM
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH!!!! This was the funniest short I've seen in a long time. Music was perfect. My favorite part was when he duct-taped the fork to his arm. Hilarious stuff!