PDA

View Full Version : Just Your Imagination!!!

mrcheapyasui
10-27-2007, 01:30 PM
Hello everyone and welcome to the Just Your Imagination thread!!
Heres the link to watch it http://www.dvxfest.com/allhallowsfest/loader.php?id=32768
Here is our poster:
http://mcyproductions.com/mrcheapyasui_jyi.jpg

The movie tells the thrilling tale of Amy Harding who tries to communicate with her dead sister by unlocking the deepest secrets of the universe. Science and suspense collide with such force that Just Your Imagination will leave its impact on cinema for years to come.

We filmed the whole thing during two days in mid September. We used a Panasonic DVX100a, a rode NTG-2 mic, "vintage" fluid head tripod (it looks like its from the 60s or something, but the head is still super smooth), some real nice home depot lights... (come one first place! I need that light kit!), an Antari F-80 fog machine, and the blood, sweat, and patience of our amazing crew!!

CAST
Melinda Jones plays Amy Harding. Melinda is the best actress I've ever worked with. Check her out at www.melindajones.net (http://www.melindajones.net).
Daniel Kim plays Tom.
Tara Charles plays Christina Harding.
Kevin Charles plays the janitor.

CREW
Director: Kevin Charles
Assistant Director: Peter Hwang
Camera Man: Kevin Charles, Peter Hwang
Boom Operator: Peter Hwang
Lights: Daniel Kim, Joe Wu

OTHER STUFF
Music: Jim Townsend. Jim was the best composer I've ever worked with! Check him out at www.myspace.com/screamingjimmy (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/www.myspace.com/screamingjimmy).
Script: Kevin Charles
Editing: Kevin Charles

This is an MCY Productions films. This is our first movie shot on the dvx. You can see our previous work at www.mcyproductions.com (http://www.mcyproductions.com). Our old stuff is amusing but this is our first film that actually makes any sense (hopefully).

And thanks to DVXUSER.COM!! I never post, but I've read through hundreds and hundreds of threads here, it really is an amazing resource.

Don't forget to watch and love Just Your Imagination!! Then don't forget to vote for it too hahaha.

DarkMatter
10-27-2007, 05:53 PM
Looking forward to it, Good luck!

mentatDUKE
11-01-2007, 10:19 PM
I like the location you used. Was this shot at Stanford?

traviscool
11-01-2007, 10:26 PM
Yeah I too, liked the locations. Nice work.

mrcheapyasui
11-02-2007, 08:17 PM
Hello! Thanks for the comments! Yes we did film at Stanford. That last scene where they're supposed to be at the clock tower, they are in fact in front of a huge tower, but its too dark to see it.

I read that the guy who reviewed everyone's movies said the story didn't make much sense, so I'll try to clear some things up if you are interested.

Amy Harding's sister recently died, and one of her students gave her a book suggesting that she could communicate with the dead. She goes to the place where shes supposed to be able to meet her dead sister, but instead, just finds the janitor who tells her to go home. Then she thinks "oh what a silly idea it was to believe in this ghost story" and she leaves. Once shes gone, the janitor VANISHES as he walks away which means hes actually a ghost, and that Amy was right all this time, and would have been able to talk to her sister if she stuck around.

Hopefully it makes some sense now!

And if anyone else has comments I really appreciate them. I'm trying to comment on everyone who made a film, but I've got to finish watching them!

Marlon Ladd
11-03-2007, 12:21 PM
You did have some cool locations. I have to admit though, that I didn't really get it, but now that I read your post it makes perfect sense about what happened at the end.

Justin Kuhn
11-04-2007, 08:40 PM
It's possible that the plot doesn't come across because the delivery is a little bit dry, though it makes sense now that you've explained it. I was also wondering how this professor got her Phd so young, and why she never teaches any classes? Did she get her degree from the same school that Indiana Jones did? :D Nice locations. Keep on rockin'.

J.R. Hudson
11-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Not too much stood out for me on this one.

The story, the performances ... nothing really. I found it hard to follow or not easy to get into to.

ONe element I found refreshing was your sue of 'panning and tilting' and using 'Zoom' to visually communicate; while not perfectyl executed for me, they served as some nice eye candy; having the frame change within the same scene.

Brandon Rice
11-06-2007, 09:10 PM
What exactly was going on in this short? I was quite confused.

cinealma
11-07-2007, 02:51 PM
REVIEW:
Ok, so first off I really love the idea of the dark matter in the universe being the collected souls of the dead. Nice.

You have some nice camera work going on here and the locations really jacked up the production value.

The acting kind of killed this one for me, so it didn't really engage me as much as it should have.

Thanks for sharing and I expect you to raise the bar a few notches for the next fest!

FILMMAKER-TO-FILMMAKER:
I'm not going to nit-pick here. The issues with this film were consistent throughout the film (acting for example), but they've been touched on and you can move on and make better films.

Ok, one nit-picky thing: you can clearly see the piece of paper she is reading from when she's supposed to be reading from the book.

Anyway, again, some nice camera work, nice locations, GREAT concept. Just need to tighten up the story a bit and get some better acting.

Cheers!

andoguru
11-08-2007, 12:07 AM
Hey mrcheapyasui,

I thought the story was good, but it was hard for me to follow at times. I don't think you really needed any music because the one's you choose to use were too dramatic.

The actors didn't fit the roles for me. The woman was too young and the janitor(or crazy guy sweeping the sidewalk out side at night) was also too young for the role. Maybe dressing up the woman in 'older' person clothing would help a little.

The locations you choose to shoot in were very good and your shot it well. The story is pretty interesting though and I think you could develop it further.

Laters,
Ando

mrcheapyasui
11-15-2007, 01:15 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone! Cinealma: I definitely noticed the paper she was reading from while editing,, it was just PAINFUL to watch over and over. Andoguru: Yea all of the actors/actresses are about 20. But you never know, Stanford might have some child prodigy professors... and janitors.

Thanks again for all the feedback!