PDA

View Full Version : "Chateau Orlock"...........by Kirk Attard

Kirk Attard
10-26-2007, 01:39 AM
This is my first fest entry.
Uploaded on Wednesday - awaiting approval.

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/27294/1193386100.jpg

We shot the film on three seperate days. Had to cancel a couple of times due to a very rainy week.

This is the cast and crew.
From left to right Kevin(grip), Pierre (location manager), Antoine as M.Drekavic. Adam Brimmer as D.Orlock and lighting technician, production advisor and artwork. And myself.
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/27294/1193386051.jpg

I tried to come up with a different style for the Hallows fest - a Classical noir style. Had some issues with the lighting but managed to produce a nice feel in the end. I did not want to write something too complex for my first fest so I settled in for three locations and two actors.

Adam Brimmer as D.Orlock
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/27294/1193385997.jpg

Antoine Butigieg as M.Drekavic

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/27294/1193385938.jpg

The film tells a story about the last moments of a man in charge of a failing winemaking company.

stinkpot
10-26-2007, 08:50 AM
Looking forward too it.
:beer:

Brandon Rice
10-26-2007, 09:50 AM
yep yep, looking forward to it as well.

DarkMatter
10-26-2007, 11:01 AM
Like the poster! good luck! Any screen grabs?

Kirk Attard
10-26-2007, 07:21 PM
Thanks guys. I'll try to post a couple of screen grabs tomorrow. Looking forward to your films as well.

Chan Ee Jien
10-31-2007, 09:44 AM
I don't really understand the story.

Is he a fool for not recognizing his own wine before being kidnapped?

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-31-2007, 10:12 AM
I'm thinking that the wine was really blood and his blood was the next "wine" on the list....
The bottle had his name on it and it was soon to be filled with his blood.

Or I'm way off base. :)

This was pretty good but the pacing really needed work. I don't think we needed 1:30 of him sitting around at his desk while the day passes by.

I did like the look of the movie though.

Cheers,

Mike

Kirk Attard
10-31-2007, 09:33 PM
Hi Kyser.

You go the story just right. The tall office scene was to put emphasis that consulting with Drekavic was indeed a last resort. Maybe it was a bit too much after all.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-31-2007, 09:37 PM
Hi Kyser.

You go the story just right. The tall office scene was to put emphasis that consulting with Drekavic was indeed a last resort. Maybe it was a bit too much after all.Awesome! I love it when I pay attention. :)

Yah, it was a tad long. Maybe adding a quick scene with him discussing his situation with someone else. That might have helped.

Live and learn.

Nice work though!

Cheers,

Mike

Kirk Attard
10-31-2007, 11:16 PM
Thanks Mike.
I tried to put the element that one really needs to pay attention to get what's going on.

Really liked your film too. Like the stlye. Prop work and preparation made it look really pro. And the story is one of the most original.

Am trying to upgrade to an HVX or EX1 for the next or following fest.

Kirk

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-01-2007, 06:34 AM
What camera did you use again?

Because I had no problem with the footage, it looked quite good.

Cheers,

Mike

George_Bailey
11-01-2007, 03:30 PM
Loved the poster. Liked the movie.

The music really worked well. I liked the look of the characters.

The office scene was way too long and also was an unconvincing office. The head office of a winery would be bigger, or have a bigger desk or at least have some "wine stuff" displayed.

Found the unsteady small table in the last scene distracting. I was wondering whether it was going to play a role. But it didn't.

Loved the color effect when the wine was poured. Really nice.

If Kyser hadn't referred to the story, I never would have got it.

Liked the look of it. Thanks.

mentatDUKE
11-01-2007, 08:48 PM
The black & white silent film approach helped the mood of this piece. Interesting choice.

I admit I didn't really follow it too well however.

Kirk Attard
11-02-2007, 01:05 PM
I used an XL1s. Shot in frame mode.
I have to admit that doing a silent movie is harder than i thought. You must really put the images right to send the exact message you want to.

As for the wine i masked it frame by frame. Was quite a lengthy process but am happy with the result.

cinealma
11-02-2007, 10:26 PM
REVIEW:
Another black and white film. Awesome. Welp, I think the story suffered a bit. Silent films are a bitch to do right, and Murnau and a select other few were the only ones to really pull it off without title cards. At any rate, I think this film had a lot going for it. I look forward to more films from you.

FILMMAKER-TO-FILMMAKER:
If you're going to shoot a classic silent movie, then the score is the only thing you're going to have in the soundtrack. With the foley elements added, then when the guys are speaking, it makes me wonder "is there something wrong with my speakers?" I like the imagery, the story idea, etc., technically shot well. Just need better execution in the story planning and in the cutting room. But a fine attempt at something "different". Good job.

Kirk Attard
11-03-2007, 02:01 PM
Thanks John, I always like reding your reviews. Very constructive and to the point as always.

Silent films are indeed more difficult than i expected. Thanks and I really liked your stlye too.

Maximus
11-04-2007, 09:10 AM
I think you telegraphed the "surprise" ending right from the beginning, but maybe that was your intent. It had great gothic atmosphere, it felt like Nosferatu from frame one, so the vampire reveal was not really a surprise. I agree the opening locked off camera shot went on way too long. You could have used the old cross dissolve of a clock to show the passing of time, a melting candle, shadow timelapse, or something similar.
Look forward to your next film.

Kirk Attard
11-04-2007, 01:12 PM
Thanks man. I agree the second part is much better shot.

Justin Kuhn
11-04-2007, 06:04 PM
Way to take on a challenging project. I was able to follow the story, but I was left wondering why he needed to call Drekavic in the first place. The montage in the beginning maybe could have been replaced by the ol' sweeping clock hand or a similar device--since it seemed like you were going for that retro feel anyway. Speaking of retro, I would have liked Drekavic to be played up as a little more creepy. Also the scene where he picked up the vampire's card seemed a little forced. I can't say I hand out my business card to just anyone I literally bump into. But then, I'm not a vampire on the hunt for blood (last I checked) so there you go I guess. Again, gotta commend you for putting additional restrictions on yourself. Good work!

J.R. Hudson
11-05-2007, 10:43 AM
This film did nothing for me.

I just couldn't get into it; whether it be the audio or cinematography, the minute and 45 second montage of the same thing over and over or the anti-climatic ending.

Nothing in this piece was stimulating cinematically.

Kirk Attard
11-06-2007, 01:41 AM
I'm sorry you did not like it J.R. Thanks HappyGobo. I had an idea of showing a ticking clock but then ommitted it. Would have probably worked. Live and learn as they say.

Marlon Ladd
11-07-2007, 08:05 PM
I liked the B&W in this film. Some of the shots were very good, but I think the opening shot with the guy in the office seemed a little long, because it was a real wide shot and so much empty space in the frame (like the white wall) that kind of made my eyes keep wondering off from the actor. I applaud you for the doing the whole thing silent, because that's not easy to do and I think you accomplished getting your story through to the audience. Good job.

andoguru
11-07-2007, 10:57 PM
Hey Kirk,

I think choosing to do a silent B&w was a daring short to undertake. The story was okay though a bit cliche with Orlock being a vampire. Was the bottle being Chateau Orlock supposed to tip off the character that the other guy was a vampire? I admit I didn't know Orlock was the name of an other Dracula character, but why did the main character react to the bottle that way.

The beginning montage was too long. You probably should use that time to show other shots of him working. The one angle using dissolves gets boring quick.

I think choosing to do this story as a silent film is probably what made it the most difficult because the story could be told better with words.

You had some good shots and the actors looks good. Location was nice too. Just gotta tie it all together with a more solid story.

Laters,
Ando

Kirk Attard
11-09-2007, 06:43 AM
Thanks Marlon and Ando.

Glad you liked the black and white stuff. It is challenging to get a story through without words.

Mr Orlock reacted to the bottle because he realised that it was soon to be filled with his own blood.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-09-2007, 07:13 AM
Mr Orlock reacted to the bottle because he realised that it was soon to be filled with his own blood.Yes, I posted that a while back in this thread, it was subtle but clear. I'm surprised more people aren't getting it.

My only real problem with the movie (as I stated before) was the pacing in the opening office scene.

Are you going to go back and attempt to fix that, or move on to the next project?

You had some pretty nice shots in this. The lighting was pretty good as well.
Hopefully you'll enter the next fest.

Cheers,

Mike

Kirk Attard
11-10-2007, 07:46 AM
Thanks Mike.

I'm moving on to my next project. I'll leave the Hallows fest film as it is. I think it's always best to move on and make better films as you go along.

Have something futuristic in pre-production status.

If I wont be too busy with this project I'll make sure to try and enter the next fest. Thanks for the encouragement Mike. I liked your stroy and visuals a lot too.

astra
04-02-2008, 09:38 AM
Hi there Kirk!

I just wanted to wish you luck and success for this..

What i want to add is....

NEVER GIVE UP! COMMENT WILL JUST MAKE YOU STRONG!

Wish you all the luck of the world!!!

ASTRA

astra
04-03-2008, 02:01 AM
Hi there Kirk!

I just wanted to wish you luck and success for this..

What i want to add is....

NEVER GIVE UP! COMMENT WILL JUST MAKE YOU STRONG!

Wish you all the luck of the world!!!

ASTRA