PDA

View Full Version : Voting Requirements?

agentjonny
10-25-2007, 08:51 PM
i remember the last horror contest you had to have a minimum number of posts to vote for the films (i think it was 100 posts). has that changed or what? i think i'm at about 50 but i've been a member since 05!

Ben Sliker
10-25-2007, 08:54 PM
i believe it's still 100, or if you are a submitting filmmaker, you get a vote too.

Drew Ott
10-25-2007, 08:56 PM
They may make some exceptions if you've been around since 2005.

Don't take my word though, I really have no idea.

Maybe try to post 50 times real soon?

Jason Ramsey
10-25-2007, 09:22 PM
Still 100 or an entry. I see you have an entry, so you would be able to vote.

Otherwise, PM Barry_S or Larry_R about your situation.

Later,
Jason

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-26-2007, 05:19 AM
I wonder if you can still vote for yourself? I have always found that silly. I can't remember if they do that here.

Hopefully that will change, if it hasn't already...

Mike

Ben Sliker
10-26-2007, 06:21 AM
kyser, in the past, voting for yourself has been allowed, but the moderators came to find that the filmmakers were harder on themselves than the public, so it has never shown to skew results.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-26-2007, 06:25 AM
kyser, in the past, voting for yourself has been allowed, but the moderators came to find that the filmmakers were harder on themselves than the public, so it has never shown to skew results.

I just find that the option alone is interesting. Now if they made the voting public that might actually benefit us all. At least we would know how we are doing in the grand scheme of things.

At least for the top 5 or so anyway.

I'm not trying to stir anything up though. They are obviously doing something right. This forum is great and there are a good bunch of people running things.

Just throwing my 2 cents into the hat.

Cheers,

Mike

Jason Ramsey
10-26-2007, 09:12 AM
I'm not going to say that people in the past haven't *tried* to skew the results by taking advantage of voting privileges/guidelines.... But, it's not a mass happening, and Barry_S is usually pretty good at spotting stuff like that, and those votes get discarded anyways, so they don't have any impact one way or the other on the overall results.

Our voting system has been pretty basic and simple for the last few fests, and it has worked well. It works better when more people vote, b/c the more people vote, the less impact any anamolies will have. Just like any voting system.

It ain't perfect. Nothing is, of course, but it has been working well for the last few fests, so there hasn't been a need for any changes yet.

This time around, there are some good prizes up for grabs that won't be awarded by the membership at large.... Probably 3 out of the 10 grand worth of the prizes are either awarded by panel (rather than popular vote) or are awarded to every participant. that also helps mix things up a bit, as there will be some nice prizes and recognition for special achievements as well as the usual one, two, three popular vote.

Later,
Jaosn

Brandon Rice
10-26-2007, 09:17 AM
To follow up on Kyser's point...

my buddy is at a film festival this weekend, and they have an audience award vote... and guess what... he's voting for our film :) I don't think that's wrong... and in this case as Ben said, the film-makers have been harder on themselves than that... so it all works out.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-26-2007, 09:57 AM
I'm not going to say that people in the past haven't *tried* to skew the results by taking advantage of voting privileges/guidelines.... But, it's not a mass happening, and Barry_S is usually pretty good at spotting stuff like that, and those votes get discarded anyways, so they don't have any impact one way or the other on the overall results.

Later,
Jaosn

Awesome to hear that. I really have no issues, just seeing how things work.

Sounds like you guys have got your act together.
I'm just happy that there is a great Fest that gets me off my butt!

Cheers,

Mike

traviscool
10-26-2007, 01:07 PM
Haha I need like 20 more...

DimmuJed
10-26-2007, 02:28 PM

my buddy is at a film festival this weekend, and they have an audience award vote... and guess what... he's voting for our film :) I don't think that's wrong... and in this case as Ben said, the film-makers have been harder on themselves than that... so it all works out.

Wouldn't that be showing the film early? or is today the last day it has to be exclusive to DVX?

DannyDarko
10-26-2007, 02:33 PM
Brandon might be referring to one of his other projects, just as an example of how it's totally acceptable to vote for one's self.

Brandon Rice
10-26-2007, 04:10 PM
Brandon might be referring to one of his other projects, just as an example of how it's totally acceptable to vote for one's self.

Yep...

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-26-2007, 04:14 PM
Yes, he's referring to Smugglers Ransom.

EDIT: I had opened the reply box before Brandon posted and walked away for a bit. :)

Of course voting for one's own movie really is subjective.

I would agree in his example though...

Regardless, sounds like the people running this Fest really know what they are doing.

Cheers,

Mike

DarkMatter
10-28-2007, 08:30 PM
How do you see how many posts you have? I used to be able to see mine but I must have changed something I was unaware of cause I can't see them anymore?

Drew Ott
10-28-2007, 08:33 PM
You have to view your profile. You are a senior member so you are eligible.

DarkMatter
10-28-2007, 08:35 PM
Oh, ok! Thanks. I used to be able to see everyones also just underneath the avatars?

Drew Ott
10-28-2007, 08:43 PM
Oh, ok! Thanks. I used to be able to see everyones also just underneath the avatars?

Yeah. The higher powers decided it was best to take that away. Takes away the possible "higher-post = more knowledge" notion some seemed to have had before.

DarkMatter
10-28-2007, 08:53 PM
Good to know, Thanks! Thought it was just me.

Jason Ramsey
10-28-2007, 09:49 PM
You have a film in the fest anyways, so it wouldn't matter if you had zero posts. you would still be able to vote. 100 posts OR an entry in the fest makes you eligible to vote.

Later,
Jason

Duff
10-28-2007, 11:09 PM

I recently participated in a local film festival at my college in which audience vote determined the winner, and entrants were actually encouraged to bring as many friends as possible to vote for their films. Utterly ridiculous in my opinion, since it turned the endeavor into a popularity contest, though I understand that from the perspective of those running the festival, they simply wanted to make the turnout as high as possible. Regardless, the best entry ended up winning, and they definitely deserved it. However, the second and third place entries were definitely exploiting the 'popularity' aspect of it. Our team took fourth. Damn our unfaithful friends for doing other things on a Saturday night!

This isn't at all relevant to this contest, I just felt like sharing.

Jason Ramsey
10-28-2007, 11:14 PM
That's where post counts come into play here. To try to curb that kind of stuff from happening on a wide scale... At that point (at least for now) it becomes infrequent enough that Barry_S can generally spot and discard the vote padding, etc.

The key is though... the more films that enter, and the more people that vote (who meet our only voting requirement), that larger the sample is and the less chance there is for some kind of... nonsense.

Later,
Jason