PDA

View Full Version : Buzz's Last Halloween - Karl151k's All Hallows Entry

Karl151k
10-25-2007, 06:53 PM
Buzz's Last Halloween

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2320/1751158013_4f9e8c0666_o.jpg

----Synopsis----

After returning home from a rather uneventful night of Trick-or-Treating, Buzz receives some sage advice from a most unlikely source.

----Teaser Trailer----

The Teaser Trailer (http://vimeo.com/360916) for Buzz's Last Halloween is now available for viewing in HD! Enjoy!

----Behind the Scenes----

The Behind the Scenes (http://vimeo.com/365432) video is also online at Vimeo. It documents the time spent on the claymation to be used in the movie.

----Credits----

Jack - Matt Jarbo
Buzz - Charley Miller
Mom - Winona Mary McNitt
Dad - Tim Torpin

Gaffer/Grip/Boom - Geoff Goodloe
Various Other Tasks - Matt Jarbo
Location Manager - Rebecca Seubert

Written By - John LaBonney

Directed By - Carleton Torpin

----Photo Gallery----

An online collection of Production Stills, Candids from the set, and various production design elements can be viewed at the
Buzz's Last Halloween Flickr Set (http://www.flickr.com/photos/flipmovie/sets/72157602071108522/) . Check it out, we took a lot of good photos during the production of this short!

----Tech Specs----

For the technically inclined, here's a breakdown of the equipment that was utilized:

Production Gear
DVX100a
FigRig
Senheizer Wireless Mic kit
Azden SGM-2X
Nikon D80 w/18-135mm lens

Awesome gear purchased from DVXUsers and affiliates:
Rowe Cine Dolly wheels
DVXUser batteries

Post Production information:
Buzz's Last Halloween was edited in Final Cut Pro
Production Design elements created in Photoshop CS2

----
Feel free to ask any questions you may have, I love talking filmmaking!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-25-2007, 06:57 PM
Awesome! I've been looking forward to this...

John's scripts are great.

Good luck!

Mike

DarkMatter
10-25-2007, 06:59 PM
Looking forward to it! Is this part stop motion?

Brandon Rice
10-25-2007, 07:00 PM
hey hey, good to see you in! Looking forward to your short!

Karl151k
10-25-2007, 08:16 PM
Looking forward to it! Is this part stop motion?

It might be...

Karl151k
10-28-2007, 01:53 PM
Just a quick note: The teaser trailer for Buzz's Last Halloween is now online. You can view it in glorious HD here (http://vimeo.com/360916).

As per the festival rules, no footage from the movie was used in the creation of the teaser. It's all original content shot specifically for the purposes of making a teaser.

Simon Höfer
10-28-2007, 03:49 PM
I think its the first trailer so far. Looks... looks... really... dark. :D

Good luck on your entry!

BergVision
10-29-2007, 02:46 AM
Digital Juice "Juice Drop" and Digital Juice Stack Traxx!!!! Right? I know I'm right!

Mark Johnson
10-29-2007, 07:54 AM
I love it! Now this really makes me want to see your entry. The mom is great!

Karl151k
10-29-2007, 12:29 PM
Digital Juice "Juice Drop" and Digital Juice Stack Traxx!!!! Right? I know I'm right!

Yeah, you got me. I probably have about a million digital juice products! They really come in handy for things like this too, where I don't have the time to originate all my own content.

BergVision
10-29-2007, 03:00 PM
Hey, the only way I knew that was because I'm guilty myself!
I have a huge library of DJ stuff!

deedive
10-29-2007, 08:11 PM
happy hallow fest to another spyfest vet.

Karl151k
10-31-2007, 02:59 PM
Another update: The Behind The Scenes for Buzz's Last Halloween is up here on Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/365432). It shows the work that went into the claymation process. Enjoy!

Billy Pilgrim
10-31-2007, 03:02 PM
I liked it. Very funny. It seems a bit rushed, but there's some great lines. My favorite bit:
"That woman was right--you are pathetic."
"How do you know what she said?"
Pause
"I'm a freakin' talking Jack-o-lantern--don't question my powers."

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-31-2007, 03:13 PM
This one was quite funny. I loved the ending, but I won't give it away. :)

Great use of props as well.

Chers,

Mike

mentatDUKE
11-01-2007, 08:29 PM
I like the way you changed all the brand names. How'd you do that? This was fun to watch. :)

Ben Sliker
11-02-2007, 11:20 AM
Got to love a sarcastic talking pumpkin, the best part of this piece, although considering the nature of the story, I think you could have stretched out the emotional impact, and it would have made the funny parts even funnier, like more depression, more sarcasm, more elation as he throws the eggs, and camped it up with cheesy music in those places.

"i'm a talking jack-o-lantern ... you really shouldn't doubt my powers" ... priceless.

Luis Caffesse
11-02-2007, 02:44 PM
I'm with Hybrid - I just watched this...and its got some humor in it, but I would love to see it amped up quite a bit more. Take it to eleven next time.
:)

Overall - you made me laugh - so good job.
:)

Maximus
11-04-2007, 10:33 AM
Very funny, original film. I liked it alot.

I did have a problem with how much you crossed the line. It happened so often that I assumed it was a deliberate choice! It was a little disorienting, but maybe that's what you wanted. If not, I would suggest storyboarding your shots beforehand, even stick figures is fine, it serves as a reminder while on set, in the heat of battle, how the shots are supposed to cut together.

Your writing was very good. The banter between Zuperman and the pumpkin was priceless. Getting his revenge on that mean lady was funny, even her enraged husband running outside. The weapon he was holding made me a little nervous, as in, I hope he doesn't go there, this has been a sweet movie until now, violence would be unwelcome. Thankfully the husband doesn't use his weapon, but unfortunately (for me at least) Zuperman falls and DIES... Huh?

I thought that tone shift was too jarring for my taste. I know, the theme was darkness, but I would have preferred to see Zuperman live. A middle aged man trick or treating was dark enough for me. Ending on a clever positive note would have been a 'real' twist.

Look forward to your next film. :beer:

cinealma
11-07-2007, 04:25 PM
REVIEW:
I like it when inanimate objects come to life and act as a persons conscience. Not too shabby. It kind of played off as a skit, but that's okay, I like sketch comedy. Just proves the strength in the writing.

Good job and thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

FILMMAKER-TO-FILMMAKER
I agree that if you're going to do something like this, you really got to crank it up. I mean, I want to see that pumpkin, oops, I mean JACK-O-LANTERN, talking, or at least the light flickering when he does. It would have been nice to see him drink the sherry. I mean, forget cranking it to 11, crank it to 50!

The ending didn't work for me. Somebody touched on the switch of tone. Yes, it's dark, etc,. but to be dark for dark's sake compromises the film. Script, script, script, yes, I know. But sometimes... :Drogar-Evil(DBG):

Here's an ending: guy gets back home after his attempt to do some "tricks", maybe he's got shaving cream and egg all over him, wrapped up in toilet paper (the angry husband apparently got even). The guy gets back home to find an ambulance at his house, he goes in, Jack is on a stretcher, his pumpkin-ness caved in on the sides, looking pretty bad... apparently you don't mix your pumpkin preserve with alcohol...

you know, or something like that, something crazy, funny, quirky...

I don't know. Just thinking.

Anyway, good job. Thanks again for sharing.

Cheers!

andoguru
11-07-2007, 10:17 PM
Hey Karl,

"What do I care...I'll be dead tomorrow." Jackolantern. That's a funny line. I thought the story was decent and it was shot pretty well. Editing was fairly tight.

I think the strongest part of this was the dialogue though at times there was a little too much of it.

I thought it would be funny if the Jackolantern had different expressions on it during the conversation like a frown, or mad look or questioning look...kinda like the JackintheBox commercials.

The ending to didn't really work for me the way it is...just tripping and dying. I think it would have been better if maybe he got like his cape caught on something and hung himself. That would have more of a payoff for me.

Pretty tight film with good dialogue.

Laters,
Andy

Karl151k
11-08-2007, 12:25 AM
Thanks for the comments everybody. Sorry I haven't been keeping up to date on All Hallows stuff.

I wanted to mention real quick that this movie originally featured a fully animated talking pumpkin. However, the animation process didn't work out as I had envisioned, and I had to do away with the claymation aspect. We did shoot every shot twice, once with a pumpkin and once without. This was a way for me to keep my bases covered, in case the animation aspect didn't pan out. So, the version of the movie you're watching is the "back-up" version. In my mind, this version actually makes Buzz look a lot more schitzophrenic than if the Jack-O-Lantern visibly spoke =).

I agree about doing the talking method in a Jack-In-The-Box way, but unfortunatley I didn't have the forsight to do that, since I figured we'd never actually see the real pumpkin.

Thanks for the dialog complements, but I can't take any of the credit for that. John LaBonney turned out a really fun script for this film and the lead actor, Charley Miller, put his heart and soul into the performance. I'm very lucky that I have such talented people surrounding me on these projects.