PDA

View Full Version : should i wait or should i buy

kyleb
10-23-2007, 08:52 AM
i'm a new guy starting out in the freelance biz. i have a studio environment background in cinematography.
i'm almost sold on the hvx200 but i see those new sony's (ex-1, z1e, etc) looking good also. should i wait ro should i buy ?

bilgami
10-23-2007, 01:20 PM
Id say if you have the money and means to get gigs that pay for the cam go for the hvx its a great cam.

Luis Caffesse
10-23-2007, 01:26 PM
It all depends - when do you need a camera?
Personally, I wouldn't spend upwards of 5K unless I had to...on anything.

New stuff is always going to be around the corner - and even if you are one of the few who has the 'latest and greatest' you will only have that status for a VERY short time. The best time to buy is when you need it - and when you do, buy the best thing you can get for what you need to do.

So -
What's your budget?
What kind of work are you doing?
What is the market like in your area (are most people shooting on HVX's or on Sony's?)
Are you going to rent the camera out, or only shoot with it yourself?
Do you have any existing gear/accessories that could possibly port over to your new camera?
When do you need to have a camera?

Just some things to think about as you make your decision.
In the end, these are all good cameras - and pretty much every camera within the same price point has alot more commonalities than differences.
I would also consider the ergonomics of the cameras you're looking at - in my opinion that is what differs most among lower priced cameras.
Most of the images are on par with eachother.

Just my 2 cents.

kyleb
10-24-2007, 03:42 AM
thanks guys. i purchased an hvx-200 from b & h photo yesterday after reading quite a few posts. i'm poor now but happy !!

also this website http://www.ffcsoftware.com/index.htm is selling premier pro for 119.00. is this a scam site ?

rSh
11-02-2007, 05:15 PM
Sorry wrong thread