PDA

View Full Version : Killer Instinct, microsoft paint wonders!

smashedburrito
10-22-2007, 07:16 AM
The Story: So when I bought my A1 three months ago I told myself that I would enter the next DVXFest no matter what. When it was announced as All Hallows fest, I wrote a script, found a cast, and scouted locations. I even shot 40% of it. Then the workload from my three creative writing classes kicked in and I forgot about my film.

So a week ago I decided to look over the footage and then promised to never again DP my own work. Then I broke a previous promise and tried editing my own work.

So I edited the 40% I had done and realized that there was no way I was going to finish this, unless I got creative.

So I opened up my trusty microsoft paint and drew the remaining images. The final result is, if I can say so myself, revolutionary and absolutely terrifying.

Hopefully my actors will be able to come in and at least voice over their missing dialogue, otherwise it will just be me reading all the parts like an unentertaining Robin Williams. But no matter what, I will turn something in.

So if you are in the mood for a bad script, poor production quality, and terrible sound design, make sure to check out Killer Instinct.

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/15981/1193062522.jpg

DarkMatter
10-22-2007, 07:58 AM
Something is better than nothing..... I guess?

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-22-2007, 08:25 AM
So if you are in the mood for a bad script, poor production quality, and terrible sound design, make sure to check out Killer Instinct.

Don't build it up so much. I might end up disappointed. :)

Slimothy
10-22-2007, 09:35 AM
lol, well I respect the determination!

TIm.

smashedburrito
10-25-2007, 05:17 PM
I just uploaded. I am apologizing in advance for the state of the film. I promised myself I would enter so it is more of reaching a personal goal then actually sharing the film. But it should give you an idea of the film I was going for, and I think the script is almost decent. I look forward to seeing all the others in a week.

agentjonny
10-25-2007, 09:02 PM
man, i wish they would make a microsoft paint for mac. for some reason it makes drawing dicks on pictures so much fun. the ones in photoshop just don't look lo-fi enough..

mikkowilson
10-26-2007, 02:02 AM
Did you draw your poster entirely by hand? Because those fonts look *really* good!

- Mikko

DannyDarko
10-26-2007, 03:25 PM
This is a great idea! It might turn out to be the most fun movie of the bunch!

smashedburrito
10-27-2007, 09:18 AM
The font is something called "chiller" that I found in paint.

This is a great idea! It might turn out to be the most fun movie of the bunch!

Haha I thought it would, but somehow the combination of a serious script with goofy hand drawn images turned out to be a very very weird combination. It feels more like an illustrated script than a movie.

mrcheapyasui
10-28-2007, 12:47 PM
hahah awesome!

Luis Caffesse
10-31-2007, 11:27 AM
Just watched it - I have to say... the painted storyboards do have an odd effect.
:)

It almost made it seem humorous, when (of course) the end is anything but humerous.

I can see what it would have been had you been able to finish it - and it could have been a very interesting and entertaining piece.

As it is now, I have to say, I admire your determination to get it in come hell or highwater -
Hat's off to you.....
:thumbsup:

smashedburrito
10-31-2007, 04:48 PM
Thanks. Yeah it has a really odd feel. Also I suck at all things compression so I made it mono and reduced the quality of the video considerably. I just wanted it to be small enough to enter.

I'm glad you can see where the story was going. I like writing much more then the actual production so maybe next fest I will try and write some rather than make one.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

andreww
11-01-2007, 12:29 AM
This goes down as epic in my book. Wonderful effort thought and... creativity? Good work Pat.

Kevin Lee
11-01-2007, 06:02 AM
I thought it was a very cool Idea and I enjoyed it. I could not tell what some of the things were, my guess is it was purposly done that way. Looks like a lot of effort went into making this, and it was well worth it.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-01-2007, 06:12 AM
I think it's cool that you persevered and finished it.
Well done.

Very original and imaginative.

Nice work!

Mike

smashedburrito
11-01-2007, 06:36 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys. I'm glad that you enjoy the idea. Hopefully next time I will be able to actually finish it the way I want, but I am just happy to have turned something in.

Kdawg, which frames were you unsure about?

cinealma
11-02-2007, 03:12 PM
You know what? I liked the drawings with the VO. If only you had a 6-year old doing the narration... hmmm... that gives me an idea.

Good job. Are you going to finish this one?

smashedburrito
11-03-2007, 07:46 PM
I don't think I am going to finish it. My actors are too busy and pretty soon I will be home for winter break anyway. I am definitely entering the next fest though and then I will definitely finish.

Maximus
11-03-2007, 08:06 PM
I was a little dubious when it first started, but I was happy when the live action finally kicked in! Despite all the problems you had, this certainly wasn't the worst film of the fest - How's that for a compliment?! As a matter of fact, I think your next film will be pretty darn good. You got talent.

smashedburrito
11-04-2007, 06:23 AM
Thanks Maximus. I'm really looking forward to the next fest!

Ben Sliker
11-04-2007, 03:51 PM
here's a thought for you smashedburrito, i actually chuckled alot at the MS paint drawings in the beginning and it reminded me of a film i saw that told a completely story via VO over scans of a children's book about a horse. It was hilarious, and i think you could probably pull off the same sort of humor with the MS paint drawings and using a sarcastic VO, might be a fun little side project!

I look forward to more stuff in the future, be here Nov 11 and get started right away on the next fest!

Charli
11-04-2007, 04:56 PM
Actually, I would have liked to seen the entire short done in paint shop. It made your story totally unique and I listened more intently with the drawings than I did with the live actors. Keep up the good ideas.

mentatDUKE
11-04-2007, 05:19 PM
smashedburrito,
The mspaint images really helped the film. They contributed a really post-modern feel. Maybe in the future if you used the technique again and had it more tightly coupled to the story as more of a device it'd work even better. Definitely made the movie feel "bigger".

Good one.

smashedburrito
11-04-2007, 10:37 PM
hahaha wow you guys like my mspaint footage more than my A1 footage. I guess I wasted some money...

Thanks for the encouragement though. I had a lot of fun drawing everything in paint because it could look weird and goofy. I didn't even have time to draw all the images I wanted, or else there would have been even more variety.

I was actually inspired by a short I saw at the Baltimore 48 hour film project. The guy was a painter so he did all these watercolors and then took pictures of them and made a childrens story kind of feel. It turned out really well and I remembered it when i got short on time.

Thanks for watching everyone and I am looking forward to the next fest.

andoguru
11-07-2007, 11:51 PM
Hey smashburrito,

I really like the story quite a bit. The shots were decent, but I think some of the color correction brought some of it down.

The paint intercut scenes were alright, but I think I would have preferred A1 footage...though some will disagree :).

Your story was told in an interesting way but I think you could have chosen some better shots to show it.

Such as when the guy grabs the girl at the end...first, the other two people were so close by they would have definitely heard her yell. It would have been good to have him follow her maybe a little bit to build a little more tension. Or maybe have her walk a little more alone before he jumps her.

One thing though with the ending is what is he going to do to her...kill her and eat her or is it a sexual thing? I'm not sure if that would connect well with his "wilderness" instincts because he can go get a burger to eat in the city and he wasn't hunting for sexual things in the wilderness.

Maybe a little more explaination but I know you were rushed because of getting the actors and time and such. I think you have something here with a little more development.

Laters,
Ando

Billy Pilgrim
11-08-2007, 12:07 AM
I loved this entry, in a weird way. It reminds of this really weird Olde English sketch:
http://www.oldeenglish.org/podcast/nightmares

Coincidentally, I half-considered making an all-ms-paint-animated entry for hallowsfest (from a completely different script)

smashedburrito
11-08-2007, 05:51 AM
Andoguru,
Thanks for all the feedback. I agree that some of the shots could have been better. I bit off more than I could chew with this one. I was trying to direct and Dp which didn't go well because I love working with the actors most so I kind of just improvised the shots. Next fest I am working with a friend here at school who will be able to handle all the tech stuff. The end scene turned out pretty terrible in my opinion. I just didn't know how to translate what I wanted to see to the screen. But I learned a lot so it was worth it.

As for the ending I kind of want to leave it up to the viewers imagination. I didn't want to make a gruesome kind of Hallows Fest entry, I wanted to try something different cause horror isn't really my thing. I wanted to explore the idea that in certain situations your body adapts to do what it has to to survive. But then what happens when the body can't get rid of those instincts? I wanted to leave it up to the viewers imagination to see what James does to the girl at the end. I kind of just want it to be the chilling idea that whatever it is, he isn't exactly in control.

Thanks for all the feedback though, I really enjoyed Meat.

Billy Pilgrim,
That Olde English Sketch is awesome. I wish mine had some animation like that, but I was a little lazy.