PDA

View Full Version : 2timesPro Presents "How To Get Away With Murder"

mentatDUKE
10-19-2007, 02:16 PM
From the twisted mind of Andre Lemaire comes.....

DIRECT DOWNLOAD LINK:
http://www.dvxfest.com/allhallowsfes...r.php?id=28672 (http://www.dvxfest.com/allhallowsfest/loader.php?id=28672)

SCREENSHOTS ON PAGES 3 & 4!

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/4685/1192828450.jpg

Details soon. Stay tuned!

mentatDUKE
10-19-2007, 02:19 PM
Alternate posters below. Which ones do you guys like best?

mentatDUKE
10-19-2007, 02:22 PM
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/4685/1192828903.jpg

mentatDUKE
10-19-2007, 02:22 PM
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/4685/1192828955.jpg

Chan Ee Jien
10-19-2007, 06:52 PM
You might not want to show the branding in the second one.

They all have a print ad look.

mentatDUKE
10-19-2007, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the input Chan. That's totally what we're going for. :)

Brandon Rice
10-20-2007, 02:11 AM
You did Sneak right? If so, dug that film.

deedive
10-20-2007, 04:25 AM
like the shots alot. Lookin at your website. very impressive films. How did u get all those tanks!

DarkMatter
10-20-2007, 04:33 AM
I like the second poster better! You might want to obscure the cereal box, poster & magazine (copyright laws) & you will probably be disqualified. Good luck!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-20-2007, 06:32 AM
I like the gritty look... nice grabs!

I was wondering about the cereal box and such myself. Won't that get you disqualified?

Mike

mentatDUKE
10-20-2007, 10:30 AM
Hey Brandon. Yeah I did Sneak. Thanks for the kudos.

Same to you deedive. The tank procurement is a secret.....
Ok. Not it's not. (Get in touch with your local WW2 re-enactors. Those guys have TOYS.) :)

Movie Stunts & Kyser:
The mag and cereal are ok due to fair use law.

Thanks for coming by to see us!

Brandon Rice
10-20-2007, 10:39 AM
Cool.

Really looking forward to your film!

DimmuJed
10-20-2007, 02:43 PM
does Poppa Roach sing in this? j/k :)

majormorgan
10-20-2007, 03:22 PM
Hey, any more news on this one? Would love to see more !

Gonna make the deadline?

Best of luck

Thanks
Richard,
The Major

mentatDUKE
10-20-2007, 05:57 PM
Glad you asked, MajorMorgan.

Post Production Update:
Currently working on the sound mix. It seems to be shaping up nicely and adding a new dimension to the film. After that, Color Grading begins. I'll have the musicians download the mixed, graded, and locked version of the film tonight/Sun morning, so they can have all Sunday and part of next week to work on it.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-20-2007, 09:25 PM
Movie Stunts & Kyser:
The mag and cereal are ok due to fair use law.

Awesome! I have a shot that I was going to toss because of a cereal box. Is there a list of what kind of items fall under fair use?

Thanks,

Mike

mentatDUKE
10-20-2007, 09:58 PM
There sure is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

DimmuJed
10-20-2007, 10:20 PM
thanks for the link to fair use, i'd been wondering some things as well.

mentatDUKE
10-21-2007, 03:23 PM
Production Update:
Sound mix complete. This added a whole lot to the film. I was pleasantly surprised.
Color Correction complete. This makes the film look like it was shot on a really cool film stock. I really love what it's done for the images.
Nest up: Send film to the composers and begin TIFF export/Uprez process to create an anamorphic master. Finish line is in sight. :)

Brandon Rice
10-21-2007, 03:41 PM
Cool! Congrats! :)

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-30-2007, 09:51 PM
LOL! Very funny....

LOVED the wine glass shot.

Mike

Kholi
10-30-2007, 11:58 PM
Official LOL of Fest. I really like it, Duke. Yet AGAIN.

SPOILER ALERT:

I totally wanted more of the YouTube Cam. That was really great. Felt like he was broadcasting throughout, I totally got that. Just my feeling that the voyeur cam was a very strong thing to use throughout in the way that you introduced it.

Nevertheless, funny dark comedy here.

mentatDUKE
10-31-2007, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys! I gotta get the writer/director in here to hear this. He'll be thrilled. I can't wait to start watching everybody's shorts tonight!

Cheers!

Ben Sliker
10-31-2007, 01:20 PM
mentat,

there's some really funny stuff in this one. I would be careful cause you are straddling the line between being universally funny and playing specifically to the dvxuser crowd. For instance, the wine gag, although hilarious, in any other situation, might throw a viewer completely off kilter. Just be wary of that if you are going anywhere else with this.

I think one of the strongest parts in this film is the suffocation sequence because it is all one shot. It reminded me of A Clockwork Orange when they are drowning Alex out in the woods. Kubrick decided not to cut for a long time because it's more real for the viewer if the actor's head was underneath the water for a long time, the pillow shot had the same effect for me.

I'm looking forward to bigger productions from you!

mentatDUKE
10-31-2007, 01:31 PM
Thanks, hybridtheory! I can't wait to watch yours either. And I'm glad you appreciated our refusal to cut during the suffocation. Invoking memories of "Clockwork Orange" is a huge compliment, also. :)

I hear what you're saying regarding the wine glass, but you know that they say:
"Play to the audience" :)

Thanks again!

mentatDUKE
10-31-2007, 01:34 PM
Here's some screen grabs guys. Now watch our film! :)

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/4685/1193862104.jpg

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/4685/1193861216.jpg

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/4685/1193861970.jpg

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/4685/1193862211.jpg

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/4685/1193861993.jpg

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/4685/1193862055.jpg

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/4685/1193862082.jpg

Brandon Rice
10-31-2007, 01:35 PM
I've seen it... enjoyed it a lot... will write more later :)

Dmitry Yun
10-31-2007, 01:45 PM
I really liked the spirit of this one :) It was a breath of fresh air amongst limbs and puddles of blood, and I was ready for more :) Thanks for that, I really liked the main character and the whole entire idea of him making a blog entry was hilarious, he reminds me a bit of Carlos Mencia :) Congrats.

bolak
10-31-2007, 02:52 PM
Carlos Mencia? That's a swift kick in the balls.

bosindy
10-31-2007, 03:13 PM
Very funny. I was rooting for this one and it delivered. Well done.

DarkMatter
10-31-2007, 08:15 PM
The ony problem I had with this one is that everybody knows if you are going to jumpstart a woman the nipples are the battery terminals.:beer:

BergVision
10-31-2007, 10:38 PM
I laughed so hard when I watched this one! It reminds me of someone and his wife that I know.
It scared me seeing you drive that SUV tword her laying on the ground in the garage! Ish!
That is were my wife would draw the line! Can we say "Stunt Double!" lol

Good work!

PS. Sitting aint so bad! lol

mentatDUKE
11-01-2007, 12:27 PM
MORE SCREENSHOTS!

WATCH OUR MOVIE!

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/4685/1193862166.jpg

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/4685/1193862123.jpg

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/4685/1193862143.jpg

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/4685/1193862019.jpg

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/4685/1193862188.jpg

Jay Rodriguez
11-01-2007, 03:39 PM
Ok, funny, funny, funny film. I laughed a few times during this one! Honestly I thought I wasn't going to like the lead character but I actually want to see more of him..... Good acting, well shot movie.

Justin Kuhn
11-01-2007, 04:03 PM
I loved this. Somehow forgot to post a review but that's cool 'cause here it is now.

I wanted more of the direct address as well, but honestly I can't see where in the rest of the story it would fit. It's cool 'cause occasionally he'd spike the camera to bring that back--the last, blatant one was funny as hell. The smothering took less time than I thought it should but the acting was there. I loved how he leaned in after he was done--"You awake?" Loved the clamp sparks. When he put the weight on the pedal I thought for sure the brakes were gonna slip and kill him. Then when she wakes up--way to use "ruckus." Nobody uses that! Which makes it even funnier. Good job y'all.

mentatDUKE
11-01-2007, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. Please keep it coming. :)

deedive
11-01-2007, 06:26 PM
i watched this film sitting down. I nominate this #1 for best wine glass usage

Brandon Rice
11-01-2007, 06:40 PM
Yo yo! I thoroughly enjoyed this flick! Had some funny moments, and some good production values! The acting was good as well... you place in my top 5! :)

Joops
11-01-2007, 06:55 PM
Had me chucklin'. Unique style. The acting was good - and I liked the play to the camera. Don't get sued by Kellogg.

mentatDUKE
11-01-2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks brandon, dee, and joops. :)

Marlon Ladd
11-02-2007, 01:24 PM
The nagging wife! Can't we all feel the pain? I also thought this was very funny and yeah, the use of the wine was hilarious. I also thought it was good how it was set up like he was really filming it for youtube.

wwsdmf
11-02-2007, 07:20 PM
thanks for all the positive feedback, from everyone, it means a lot because you guys are all film makers too. i've liked all the films that i have viewed this far.

Maximus
11-04-2007, 05:36 AM
Very good film! I enjoyed the story, the acting, music was GREAT, camera work, it all worked for me. Basically, I felt comfortable and relaxed throughout. I could tell from the get go, I was in the hands of a competent filmmaker.

To elaborate, watching these films has been akin to getting in a taxi cab in NYC. You never know what you're getting into. Some drivers are good, others not so good. The ride is a series of speeding, screeching to a stop, flying around corners, getting lost, you all know what I'm talking about. Some drivers are so good, you forget you're in a taxi. You can enjoy the views.

Watching many of these films has been like that.

You're a good driver! I look forward to your next film.:beer:

George_Bailey
11-04-2007, 10:33 AM
Frosted Flakes! The glass of red wine. LOL!

Really good actors. Perfect choice of music. Nice editing into the music. Told a nice story. I Smiled throughout. Enjoyable.

Very, very good.

Thanks very much for making this.

Charli
11-04-2007, 05:57 PM
This is definitely one of my favorites and the only one so far that I'll actually share with my son, that goes a long way. Humor was awesome! I love your actors. I love breaking that fourth wall. Too rich. Nice job. I miss Dahopa crazy short humor films, so I'm glad to see someone as nuts as he is.

Nice job!

Steve_K
11-04-2007, 07:22 PM
Hi all,

I just wanted to take a minute to say how glad I am to have become a part of the dvxuser community. I've been browsing through the work being exhibited and supported here, and I've really enjoyed what I've read and seen.

More specifically, I want to congratulate MentatDUKE on this production and to thank the team for letting me work on this film. It was an extremely enjoyable experience: I enjoyed the collaboration and I look forward to more opportunities to come. I can only hope that my addition to the effort has done its part.

Thanks again, guys!

Steve

J.R. Hudson
11-05-2007, 10:50 AM
This just might be the film that did it for me

Not only was I entertained, but many elements came together to give me a complete experience

The actors were more than competent and both showed great comedic timing. Your shots were very well executed and the score was a perfect compliment to keep such a dark subject matter light

Visually; in terms of compostion, your film has the best shots I have seen do far. You seem to have really taken care to compose the frame and the dolly moves seemed structured and not just moving for sake of moving.

I was engaged from the get go and never waned.

The only regret I have is that during the suffocation sequence, i would have preferred a few different shot selections. I felt the profile shot was not effective and held on way too long.

Other than ? Excellent. Great job in all categories. I was entertained, visually stimulated, believing in the actors and felt a part of their world. I love how you showed no restraint in keeping the camera wide.

You definately have some skills and I hope you keep pursuing and studying hard.

My favorite so far.

mentatDUKE
11-06-2007, 04:27 AM
The nagging wife! Can't we all feel the pain? I also thought this was very funny and yeah, the use of the wine was hilarious. I also thought it was good how it was set up like he was really filming it for youtube.

Glad you were able to relate, Lee. The writer/director is married, so maybe that's where he gets his marterial from. :)

Very good film! I enjoyed the story, the acting, music was GREAT, camera work, it all worked for me. Basically, I felt comfortable and relaxed throughout. I could tell from the get go, I was in the hands of a competent filmmaker.

To elaborate, watching these films has been akin to getting in a taxi cab in NYC. You never know what you're getting into. Some drivers are good, others not so good. The ride is a series of speeding, screeching to a stop, flying around corners, getting lost, you all know what I'm talking about. Some drivers are so good, you forget you're in a taxi. You can enjoy the views.

Watching many of these films has been like that.

You're a good driver! I look forward to your next film.:beer:

Maximus, thanks for the positive feedback. We're flattered. Your cab analogy means a lot. Appreciate it!

Frosted Flakes! The glass of red wine. LOL!

Really good actors. Perfect choice of music. Nice editing into the music. Told a nice story. I Smiled throughout. Enjoyable.

Very, very good.

Thanks very much for making this.

Thank you George. I've been working with these actors for so long, I almost took for granted how talented they were. Their hard work and patience during long setup times went a long way. Our composer is great also, I think he gave the movie a lot of heart. Watching the scored version for the first time felt like a whole new movie. It was amazing.

This is definitely one of my favorites and the only one so far that I'll actually share with my son, that goes a long way. Humor was awesome! I love your actors. I love breaking that fourth wall. Too rich. Nice job. I miss Dahopa crazy short humor films, so I'm glad to see someone as nuts as he is.

Nice job!

Wow Charli. Thank you so much. You're too kind. How old is your son?

This just might be the film that did it for me

Not only was I entertained, but many elements came together to give me a complete experience

The actors were more than competent and both showed great comedic timing. Your shots were very well executed and the score was a perfect compliment to keep such a dark subject matter light

Visually; in terms of compostion, your film has the best shots I have seen do far. You seem to have really taken care to compose the frame and the dolly moves seemed structured and not just moving for sake of moving.

I was engaged from the get go and never waned.

The only regret I have is that during the suffocation sequence, i would have preferred a few different shot selections. I felt the profile shot was not effective and held on way too long.

Other than ? Excellent. Great job in all categories. I was entertained, visually stimulated, believing in the actors and felt a part of their world. I love how you showed no restraint in keeping the camera wide.

You definately have some skills and I hope you keep pursuing and studying hard.

My favorite so far.

John, thanks for the positive, well thought out feedback. We all know you're a tough date, so I'm pleased that our movie had an effect on you. Thanks for the compliments and confirming that we're on the "right track" in our film studies. I'm really glad this film has connected with its audience.

Thanks for watching, all.

Chris Messineo
11-06-2007, 12:34 PM
This film was a lot of fun to watch.

I liked the humor and the performances very much. I also really liked the score, as I think it fit the tone perfectly.

Well done.

mentatDUKE
11-06-2007, 06:22 PM
Thanks Chris. Glad you liked it.

abalex
11-06-2007, 07:48 PM
Good job on this one, funy funy, loved how he revived his wife.

mentatDUKE
11-07-2007, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the kudos abalex.

cinealma
11-07-2007, 01:30 PM
REVIEW:
Oh, definitely a favorite of mine. Good stuff. I like the Desperate Housewives-esque score, really worked for the piece.

The wine glass... simply awesome. That's something Godard would have done as a real "f*ck you"! Bravo!

Acting was terrific and the characters were totally believable as husband and wife.

Great job! I look forward to more.

FILMMAKER-TO-FILMMAKER:
I felt that you either had to go the YouTube route where the husband is taping this whole thing, or just shot it straight up. If the whole YouTube thing is part of the story, we need to see hiim taping more or something.

Nice dolly push in in the bedroom.

Ok, so the suffocation scene. I love that you held that shot. But I don't think it fit in with the "flirtiness" of the piece, if that makes any sense. I also think that she would have struggled more and took a lot longer to pass out (first) and then die. But then again, I'm not Quincy, so...

Love the ending... "Did you sit down?" Classic and perfect.

Anyway, bravo again and good job!

mentatDUKE
11-07-2007, 02:19 PM
Wow, cinealma. Thanks for the detailed review. It means a lot coming from a filmmaker of your caliber. Be careful about comparing us to Godard though. Wouldn't want to swell our heads would ya? :)
Glad you liked what we did with the wine glass. We definitely got a kick out of it ourselves, so it's good to see others did also.

I can't say enough about our composer. We were really lucky to find him. Can't wait to work with him so more. A great talent.

I'm glad you liked the actors. I take them for granted and forget just how good they are. They've allowed me to simply expect brilliance. Lucky to have them.

Regarding the YouTube style, we didn't want to be too overt or self-referential with it, but we definitely wanted the voyeuristic qualities suggested from when the husband first mentions it. To put it simply, we cheated. ("The Office" does it. Why can't we? I mean WHY is there a documentary crew at Dunder Mifflin?) :) But we think the movie is better for it. It's all about what you can get away with. We knew that the audience would carry the suggestion in their subconscious all the way through, so why get into all the logistical and artistic sloppiness that would come along with doing the entire movie YouTube style? Just have him break the fourth wall, and use a lot of static shots (especially during the suffocation scene). Slight of hand is your friend.

I'm glad you like the bedroom dolly. It's my favorite shot of all my films. I'm a sucker for a motivated, moving camera.

Regarding the suffocation scene, I hear where you're coming from, but since you mentioned Deperate Housewives, I'm sure you know that all dark comedy must juxtapose the darkness with the flirtiness. We saw this in Edward Scissorhands. We saw this in Death Becomes Her. We saw this in Heathers. When you come with the raw, you can't chicken out. Otherwise, the cutesy moments aren't as disturbing as they need to be.

Good discussion. Thanks again for watching with a critical eye. :beer:

cinealma
11-07-2007, 02:38 PM
Regarding the YouTube style, we didn't want to be too overt or self-referential with it, but we definitely wanted the voyeuristic qualities suggested from when the husband first mentions it. To put it simply, we cheated. ("The Office" does it. Why can't we? I mean WHY is there a documentary crew at Dunder Mifflin?) :) But we think the movie is better for it. It's all about what you can get away with. We knew that the audience would carry the suggestion in their subconscious all the way through, so why get into all the logistical and artistic sloppiness that would come along with doing the entire movie YouTube style? Just have him break the fourth wall, and use a lot of static shots (especially during the suffocation scene). Slight of hand is your friend.

I'm glad you like the bedroom dolly. It's my favorite shot of all my films. I'm a sucker for a motivated, moving camera.

I get what you're going for. And I think that can work out great. I'm thinking that going from a handheld camera operated by the main actor (even turning it on himself) for the first minute and then to a more cinematic style with sweet dolly shots, without really any motivation makes me think "what happened?" Maybe if we saw him put the camera away or some kind of shot where we see the camera is no longer being operated by the actor, that might have clarified a bit what we are seeing visually. Just a thought, is all.

Regarding the suffocation scene, I hear where you're coming from, but since you mentioned Deperate Housewives, I'm sure you know that all dark comedy must juxtapose the darkness with the flirtiness. We saw this in Edward Scissorhands. We saw this in Death Becomes Her. We saw this in Heathers. When you come with the raw, you can't chicken out. Otherwise, the cutesy moments aren't as disturbing as they need to be.Oh, I definitely agree. But the tone for me was just a little too serious in the way it was shot. In other words, regardless of whether this guy was a good guy or a bad guy, I still really liked him. Maybe if he had a little trouble doing it right, or maybe if she kicked and flailed about deleriously while he fought her to keep the pillow on her face in a clumsy way... in the end, he removes the pillow and he eyes are wide open and her mouth is wide open... her face might scare him a little, he say "ooh!", and so he covers her face back up with the pillow... I just thought the tone didn't fit with the rest of the film, no matter how nice the scene was (one of those kill your darlings kind of thing).

Just some thoughts. :beer:

mentatDUKE
11-07-2007, 02:58 PM
Thanks again for sharing your thoughts John. It's interesting how different filmmakers' style and sensibilities affect the way they tackle a work. I wonder what Star Wars would be like if James Cameron, Michael Mann, or Stephen Spielberg directed them. What an amazing art form, this thing of ours... :)

Norm Sanders
11-07-2007, 03:26 PM
This was a nice change of pace, compared to the more traditionally dark fair. It had some good laughs, and some good acting (facial expressions, especially) to help with those laughs.

Technically, I don't have a ton to offer for critiques ... it was just a good film, that I enjoyed watching. Nice. :)

mentatDUKE
11-07-2007, 03:45 PM
Thanks Norm. It's good to see you in the thread. I enjoy watching your work in all the fests, so your kudos mean a lot. Good luck with "Berlin".

andoguru
11-07-2007, 10:37 PM
Hey Mentatduke,

I thought the story was pretty good. Nice shots and good actors.

You probably could have done this a little more like a youtube video where it was him holding the camera a lot or setting up the camera. Maybe in some instances missing the action of what he did, but having him recount it to the camera more like a youtube confession. That would make a more realistic and organic though you'd have to cut the nice dolly shots out. Such as he could come into the room after he has smothered his wife and be talking to the camera all out of breath with her lifeless body in the background. "So I just...umm...smothered my wife...to death. Yeah, she's dead." Pause, cut to him eat cereal etc. Maybe with some youtube footage camera of him using it and some with another 4th wall camera.

This also could showcase some of the actor more since he (and she) were good.

I think the idea of doing a Youtube confession of someone murdering his wife is very clever, but I would have liked it to be more like a 'home video' feel. I know the film is shot the way it is now, but I guess I felt you started with the youtube vibe and then didn't follow through. Could have been a little shorter, too?

Good lightning, nice shots and good actors. Your story was good with a nice character arc. Good job.

Laters,
Ando

mentatDUKE
11-08-2007, 07:56 AM
Thanks for the feedback, andoguru. While your idea is interesting, I feel it's a bit too over the top. We were going for a more subtle approach. In addition, the conceit of the YouTube video (setting up the camera, monologuing to the camera, etc) would have made the film less effective rather than more effective. One must be careful not to let the "gimmick" overpower the actual film. The concept should be an aspect of the piece rather than the entire piece. But again, it's always interesting to see how different filmmakers tackle the same script. I'd love to do a fest where everyone has the same script. That'd be cool.

Thanks again.

wwsdmf
11-08-2007, 09:24 AM
What’s up andoguru
I appreciate the kind note on our film. Let me start off by saying I enjoyed your film immensely. Great concept. When I first wrote this script, I had every intention of tom setting up the shot of himself killing his wife. Even in the denouement, he was setting up the shot to revive his wife. But when liya came on board we started to look at facets of cinematic consequences. We wanted to smooth out some of the ruff edges that are intrinsic with youtude, and blur the lines between cinema and reality. I think either works. Tom still plays to the camera which is reminiscent of youtude. This leitmotif of reality is a nuance, layered interlineally within the cinema

bolak
11-08-2007, 11:26 PM
That's a very good point you made, Cinealma in reference to the death/killing scene. Looking back at my performance I definately have made a major breakthrough that has led me to agree with you. The thread that connects the main character's change in behavior isn't entirley clear. The first cop(sp?) out answer that comes to mind is - that performance can be made clear with more time. But that can be said for just about every performance. I had to go to a crazy place - for me as far as the story goes and the pacing - well just about anything can happen in the world that Andre created. That is, as long as it's bizarre.

Jack Daniel Stanley
11-11-2007, 07:01 AM
Hey this had a cool tone to it.

I thought a lot of the timing was spot on and I enjoyed the way you were kind of looking at some standard domestic issues through a bizarre prizm - like now she's dead and I can eat chicken on the leather couch kind of thing. Common issue in a weird light.

Couldn't help but see the two posts above mine and while I agree that there could have been a bit more clarity in the arc, the decision moments were clear for me and that was enough for me when I viewed it. Meaning, I wasn't sure why he did everything but the wheels were turning in the actors performance, I could see a thought process thanks to the performance, diretcing, and editing, so again I didn't know why, but there seemed to be some sort of logic for him.

But all in all one of the more entertaining entries of the fest, I def. had a good time watching it, I think mostly due to the quirky tone and the timing in the performance and cutting.

mentatDUKE
11-11-2007, 02:12 PM
Thanks Jack. Your feedback is appreciated.

I'm glad you picked up on the chicken on the couch thing. That was my favorite "freedom" moment.

I agree that the actors did a good job on selling their motivation, etc.

Looking forward to your feature. (Psst. Can you tell us anything yet?)