PDA

View Full Version : Everyone is rushing to get done too, not just me, right?

DimmuJed
10-16-2007, 05:46 PM
I have a feeling a lot of you, like me and my friend, are rushing to get things done. Personally I think we work good under pressure. The hardest part of ours is done (finding cool beards)

What are some horror stories of trying to film you guys have so far? Or things that haven't went as planned?

Rock Punk!
10-16-2007, 07:28 PM
I haven't even started yet. Plenty of time....

Yeah right.

Billy Pilgrim
10-16-2007, 08:26 PM
My script is done, I just need to shoot it and cut it. Ten days actually is plenty of time for me. There's no special effects or anything (none that can't be done in-camera). I've done more a lot quicker before. A year ago, I entered in this local film contest, I shot and cut the film in one day, and handed it in the next. And it wasn't a "24 hour film fest" thing, I just procrastinated. I got second place. Well this time I'm going to get it shot this week, so I can have the rest of next week to edit and try and compress/encode the film. I hope I can get this done in time though. I've never entered a fest before, but I've always wanted to.

Brandon Rice
10-16-2007, 08:37 PM
I finished shooting, and editing, just music and sound withstanding... and I'm awaiting that, my hands are tied :)

Geoff_R
10-16-2007, 11:22 PM
I haven't even started yet. Plenty of time....

Yeah right.

I haven't started yet either... but I'm gonna try and come up with a story tonight. :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

Brandon Rice
10-16-2007, 11:36 PM
heehee! Yea! Geoff!

Dude, I was supposed to call you today, dang it... forgot, will talk to you tomorrow.

Geoff_R
10-17-2007, 12:05 AM
Yea, no worries, I was out all day shooting. Just got an SGpro yesterday :)

Ki-Ki
10-17-2007, 03:36 AM
Same as Geoff, well, i was suppost to come up with a story 2 nights ago.. but yeah. Sames like there's quite alot of people in the same boat, and it's about to sail, just 9 days to go.

Simon Höfer
10-17-2007, 03:46 AM
Story is locked down and we are ready to shoot.

Problems: I peed myself at location scouting :D And my partner is busy...

Mark Johnson
10-17-2007, 06:10 AM
Ha ha, I love it that so many people are in the same boat and are going down to the wire. We're shooting this weekend and will no doubt be editing up to the last moment Friday in order to get all our post finished.

mikkowilson
10-17-2007, 09:18 AM
Keep in mind everyone; that the dealine is again firm this fest. And if your submission fails to meet fest requirements (is DQ:d) you can still re-submit, but only up untill the normal deadline.
It's a really good idea to be uploaded a day or two early just incase there is a problem, we'll have time to spot and it an you to get it fixed!

- Mikko

Mark Johnson
10-17-2007, 09:36 AM
Uploading early is for pussies.

Jared Meyer
10-17-2007, 10:41 AM
lol! :)

Brandon Rice
10-17-2007, 10:50 AM
I intend to upload as early as possible! hehe

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-17-2007, 11:41 AM
I'll be filming more next week. Nothing like coming down to the wire to get your heart racing... :)

cinealma
10-17-2007, 01:26 PM
Uploading early is for pussies.

True dat!

Jay Rodriguez
10-17-2007, 03:57 PM
I finished shooting, and editing, just music and sound withstanding... and I'm awaiting that, my hands are tied :)

Same here.... hehehe

Mark Johnson
10-17-2007, 04:55 PM
Ad astra per aspera! As the great filmmaker Arno Sottenburg said, "One who fools away valuable time by spending it shooting and editing early has doubly cursed himself. For he has wasted time that otherwise could more profitably be spent lying with women and imbibing liquor and he will have lost that ephemeral fuse to pure genius and inspiration that is only found in the clammy undershorts and sweaty palms of editing against an impossible deadline. Yay, I say to you young filmmakers who would become gods: 'Embrace the nether hours of darkness and ward off morpheus with caffein and cigarettes. Editing in a sheer panic will bring out the best of your instincts and leaven your work with magic otherwise missed in those pale, sterile works produced by the cautious, the careful, the organized and the prudent. ' "

cinealma
10-18-2007, 10:46 AM
Ad astra per aspera! As the great filmmaker Arno Sottenburg said, "One who fools away valuable time by spending it shooting and editing early has doubly cursed himself. For he has wasted time that otherwise could more profitably be spent lying with women and imbibing liquor and he will have lost that ephemeral fuse to pure genius and inspiration that is only found in the clammy undershorts and sweaty palms of editing against an impossible deadline. Yay, I say to you young filmmakers who would become gods: 'Embrace the nether hours of darkness and ward off morpheus with caffein and cigarettes. Editing in a sheer panic will bring out the best of your instincts and leaven your work with magic otherwise missed in those pale, sterile works produced by the cautious, the careful, the organized and the prudent. ' "

Wise, wise words my friend. This reminds me of Prometheus. After pissing off Zeus the first time with the sacrifice thing and Zeus taking fire away from man, he stole some fire back from Zeus. Did he give it back to man? Not right away. He drank a lot of vino and "hung" out with the female titans for a while. Of course, time was running out before Zeus would figure out he'd been pilfered. Well, it is only when Prometheus SAT on the fire, thus creating the proverbial "fire under the ass", that he got his sh*t together and gave it back to mankind.

Of course, Zeus got pissed off again and so he created woman and sent her to earth to torture man, but... that's another story.\

Cheers! :beer:

djsmackmackey
10-18-2007, 10:49 AM
I would have no problem getting this thing done if I didn't have this pesky career in the way. But as it stands now, I've decided not to stress about getting done in time. I fully expect that I won't be done with this thing til mid november at the rate things are going. I'm shooting more footage tonight. Hopefully most of the remaining shots of my actress. But it's the vfx and sound design that are going to eat up all my time.
Next time, I'm gonna get a whole crew together. I've learned my lesson.

Mark Johnson
10-18-2007, 11:20 AM
But it's the vfx and sound design that are going to eat up all my time.

Let me pass on what I've learned over years of struggle. There is a simple and elegant solution to the conundrum above. Simply do a crappy job and, voila, problem solved and deadline met.

Marlon Ladd
10-18-2007, 02:57 PM
Don't worry. I haven't even started editing yet, but I'll be busting my butt all this weekend!

djsmackmackey
10-18-2007, 03:39 PM
Let me pass on what I've learned over years of struggle. There is a simple and elegant solution to the conundrum above. Simply do a crappy job and, voila, problem solved and deadline met.

Why didn't I think of that before?! In that case.... I'm done! :)

Maximus
10-18-2007, 11:09 PM

Good advice. I hope you kids are listening! :)

DimmuJed
10-25-2007, 04:10 PM
So who all uploaded early? I guess Mark Johnson is calling you a pussy. lol just playing everyone.

mikkowilson
10-25-2007, 04:52 PM
It's no longer "early" to upload.

In fact, it's slowly creeping up on "late" to upload. Final approved revisions are due in tomorrow night!

- Mikko