PDA

View Full Version : All Hallows Fest 2007 - Submission Info

Larry Rutledge
10-16-2007, 03:39 PM
http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/501/1192573388.jpg (http://www.dvxfest.com/upload)

We are happy to officially open the All Hallows Fest 2007 Film Submission.

As stated in the original rules, the deadline for this festival will be October 26, 2007. The upload form will be deactivated at 11:59PM (Midnight) Pacific Time, Friday, October 26. No films nor revisions will be accepted after that time.

Eligibility Requirements:
The festival category is a short film with the theme of DARKNESS.
All films must be no longer than 5 (five) minutes total. The following format must be followed. Film Title (any format), body of film, 10 seconds of credits (which must clearly acknowledge dvxuser.com).
All films must include a glass of red wine in at least one scene.
All cameras are eligible to participate and for prizes.
All films must be in English or be subtitled in English.
Delivered film must be formatted as 16:9 or 2.35:1.
Delivered film must not exceed 50 MB.
Delivered film must be provided as an h.264 compressed file (either .mov or .mp4).
Film must be an "R" rating, or lower.
Filmmaker must have proper copyright clearance for all material contained in the entry.
Films must be made between August 18, 2007 and October 26, 2007 and must not be publicly screened prior to entry.
Films must not have been promoted anywhere, other than DVXUser, prior to completion of festival screening.
Entrants must grant DVXuser.com and its agents non-exclusive rights for their films to appear on a potential DVXFest DVD or for DVXuser-sanctioned public screenings.
Films may be entered in other festivals, as long as it doesn't screen prior to October 31, 2007.How To Submit
Create an h.264 compressed file, 50MB or less.
Name the file as follows: <DVXuser_name>_<film_name>.mov (e.g. LarryR_Darkness.mov).
<Optional> Create a poster - preferably a PNG or JPG file, named the same as the film.
Point your browser to: http://www.dvxfest.com/upload
Fill out the form.
After you select the film file, if you have a poster click on the link labeled: "Add Another File?" and select the poster file.
Click "Begin Upload".(Note: There is no need to submit an MPEG DVD version of the film at this time. When we are ready to start work on the DVD we will make arrangements to receive the expanded films)

Other Info
All submitted films will undergo review by the DVX Festival board for adherence to the posted rules.
Any films not in 100% compliance will be rejected and the filmmaker will be notified.
Rejected films will be allowed the opportunity to re-submit a revised film that meets the requirements up to the posted deadline.Any further questions or comments, please contact myself (Larry R (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/private.php?do=newpm&u=501)) or Barry (Barry_S (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/private.php?do=newpm&u=913)).

Thanks,
Larry

Brandon Rice
10-16-2007, 03:48 PM
So it begins! Wow... Forgot it was October 26! I gotta get on the ball!

Wild Imagination Films
10-16-2007, 11:32 PM
Is mp4 the same as mpg4? I rendered a trial snippet and main concept acc avc mp4 render renames itself as an mpg4 movie. Did I do something incorrectly?

DarkMatter
10-17-2007, 04:41 AM
So do we have to submit our films on the 26th or can it be done sooner? If so when?

Larry Rutledge
10-17-2007, 05:11 AM
No, you can upload anytime between now and midnight (Pacific Time) on October 26. That was the point of the announcement, to let you know the upload system hsd been activated.

Be sure to read through all the information in the first post to ensure your entry won't be disqualified.

Peace,
Larry

DarkMatter
10-17-2007, 05:31 AM
Sorry I thought it was just an announcement on the instructions. Time to compress.

Robbie Comeau
10-17-2007, 07:11 AM
Sometimes when i export a video, dead on 3 mintues, the final export in quicktime wil be 3:01....What if i export a 5 minute film, and its 5:01, or 4:49, due to export issues. Is this acceptible?

Larry Rutledge
10-17-2007, 09:49 AM
Is mp4 the same as mpg4? I rendered a trial snippet and main concept acc avc mp4 render renames itself as an mpg4 movie. Did I do something incorrectly?

As far as I know, mp4 and mpg4 are the same thing, just different extensions. After it completes compressing, try renaming it to .mp4 and see if it still runs correctly.

Sorry I thought it was just an announcement on the instructions. Time to compress.

No problem. We try to provide more than a single day for uploads so that the server isn't beat to death with 50+ entries all uploading at the same time :)

Sometimes when i export a video, dead on 3 mintues, the final export in quicktime wil be 3:01....What if i export a 5 minute film, and its 5:01, or 4:49, due to export issues. Is this acceptible?

We accept anything 5 minutes or less, as the final compressed file. If you compress and it comes out to 5:01 then you will need to check your compression settings or your edit and see what you can tweak to get at, or below, 5:00 TRT.

Peace,
Larry

Mark Johnson
10-17-2007, 09:54 AM
If you end up at 5:01 or 5:02 after compressing I'd suggest you use QuickTimePro to just trim the damn thing. It would be a shame to get the compression done and have to recompress everything. Some people aren't aware you can cut and paste and trim with QTPro without recompressing.

Brandon Rice
10-17-2007, 10:26 AM
YEa, it's pretty simple.

BergVision
10-17-2007, 08:25 PM
ALL DONE!

It's uploaded and ready! I was able to get it at 432x240 H264 codec at around 32mb. Really good quality as well.

DarkMatter
10-17-2007, 10:28 PM
Upload, complete!

Brandon Rice
10-17-2007, 10:33 PM
Well, I lost... every year I've entered I had my entry uploaded first...
Missed it this year...

good job guys!

DarkMatter
10-17-2007, 10:37 PM
Well, I lost... every year I've entered I had my entry uploaded first...
Missed it this year...

good job guys!

?Is that an insult or a superstition? Sounds like you are saying that you lost because you uploaded first?

Michele Seidman
10-18-2007, 07:02 PM
OK folks, I am new to this and I am wondering how people view the entries? Are they available as the are uploaded or all after the deadline? Please reply like you are talking to a computer moron...lol, you are!

Barry_Green
10-18-2007, 07:31 PM
Stay tuned for an announcement in the fest forum. There'll be a "viewing now open" thread posted, with links to all the films. They'll all be released simultaneously, and then we'll have a set period (usually around a week or so) to view 'em all and then cast votes.

Michele Seidman
10-18-2007, 10:20 PM
Stay tuned for an announcement in the fest forum. There'll be a "viewing now open" thread posted, with links to all the films. They'll all be released simultaneously, and then we'll have a set period (usually around a week or so) to view 'em all and then cast votes.

Do you know what player{s} will be needed? Again...computer moron reading what ever you reply with so type slowly and with big letters...lol. Seriously though, I am trying to figure out if I have the right player or need to update something. I want to be ready cause I keep hearing how crazy fun this can get and I love supporting indie projects.

me and puter below
:badputer:

Michele Seidman
10-18-2007, 10:22 PM
dag nab it...forgot to ask how to find a calendar that shows all the dvx festivals and deadlines?

mikkowilson
10-18-2007, 10:41 PM
Michele,
We don't have a calendar built. But you can find the past dates be going through the "previous fests (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/forumdisplay.php?f=42)" area of the forum. Future fests & dates are decided and posted as the time comes.

As to viewing software; you'll need something that can play h.264 MPEG4 video. The simplest way to check is go back to the "AdFest (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=105441)" area and watch a couple .. if those files play, then so will HallowsFest.

- Mikko

Michele Seidman
10-18-2007, 10:46 PM
Michele,
We don't have a calendar built. But you can find the past dates be going through the "previous fests (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/forumdisplay.php?f=42)" area of the forum. Future fests & dates are decided and posted as the time comes.

As to viewing software; you'll need something that can play h.264 MPEG4 video. The simplest way to check is go back to the "AdFest (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=105441)" area and watch a couple .. if those files play, then so will HallowsFest.

- Mikko

Mikko

You rock! Thanks you for the info. I will go to adfest and check now!

Jason Ramsey
10-18-2007, 10:49 PM
Michele,

Also, I recently just reorganized a bit in the DVXFest section. It will be making a move soon to and there will be some new things happening in that section so keep an eye on it. The year each fest occurred has recently been added to each previous fest sub-forum description. More specific info will come.

Larry is also working on getting all of the films from previous fests archived on dvxfest.com, so we will have a permanent online archive of every film from every fest going back and moving forward. Right now I think he only lacks the zombie fest films, but we should be getting all of those in fairly short order.

Hopefuly sometime in the future, there will also finally be dvd's available for all of the past fests as well as the present and future ones.

Big things are on the Horizon for the DVXuser online Indy Film Festivals. Bigger fests, prizes and exposure. Stay tuned. :)

Later,
Jason

Michele Seidman
10-18-2007, 10:50 PM
bummer...very confused no mikko...i went to the page...seemed to download just fine but then it said quick time needed...and i have quick time...but all the sudden i had sound...and no video....not a clue in the world why but glad i found out now and have time to fix it....if you have suggestions i will be checking in again tomorrow night

Jason Ramsey
10-18-2007, 11:20 PM
Do you have quicktime 7? If not, download the latest version of the free quicktime stand alone player.

Later,
Jason

Michele Seidman
10-19-2007, 08:44 AM
Jason....it turned out I did not have the most recent version of Quick Time but it was not telling me that when I asked for updates and newer versions for some odd reason. So I went to the QT page and downloaded the new one and then I could see the videos! I just kept clicking back to Mikko's post for the links until I got the darn thing working

hence this being me again -------->:badputer:

mikkowilson
10-19-2007, 09:34 AM
Good to hear you got it working! now you can properly join the rest of us in anticipation of the viewing to open... :)

- Mikko

Larry Rutledge
10-19-2007, 10:11 AM
Michele - now that you got that working, I have some bad news for you. We've decided to encode all the films this time in a different format.

Just Kidding http://www.comicguide.net/images/smilies/joker.gif

Glad to hear you got it resolved ... hope you enjoy watching the films. Keep your eye out for the viewing announcement.

agentjonny
10-21-2007, 08:04 AM
quick question about format. it says title (any format). does that mean that "film company presents...title of film" would be ok or does it have to just be the title of film, then the film itself?

DarkMatter
10-21-2007, 08:09 AM
quick question about format. it says title (any format). does that mean that "film company presents...title of film" would be ok or does it have to just be the title of film, then the film itself?

I believe it is Title, then film!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-21-2007, 12:13 PM
My "Title" shows up about a minute into the movie. Is that cool?

I can change it but I would rather not.

Cheers,

Mike

Michele Seidman
10-21-2007, 01:01 PM
Michele - now that you got that working, I have some bad news for you. We've decided to encode all the films this time in a different format.

Just Kidding http://www.comicguide.net/images/smilies/joker.gif

Glad to hear you got it resolved ... hope you enjoy watching the films. Keep your eye out for the viewing announcement.

YEah Yeah, sure you're just kidding! I can see it coming now...."Michele...what do you know about uploading codecs or some other term i don't get?" and me saying "codecs?"

snicker....

then we will see and HEAR me doing this-------->:badputer:

gosh i love that little icon smashing the computer...takes the edge off...ha ha ha

Michele Seidman
10-21-2007, 01:03 PM
Good to hear you got it working! now you can properly join the rest of us in anticipation of the viewing to open... :)

- Mikko

Just glad I got it done early and don't have to fuss with it at the last moment...which is the norm for me. Now if some Mothers kids would stop teasing me about new players.....snicker....could not help myself!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-22-2007, 05:28 AM
My "Title" shows up about a minute into the movie. Is that cool?

I can change it but I would rather not.

Cheers,

Mike

Bump!

mik
10-23-2007, 06:20 AM
I'm sorry if this sound stupid; but in order to get the h.264 compression i need to upgrade to the pro version of Quicktime? Or there is another way to go?

Larry Rutledge
10-23-2007, 07:43 AM
Kyser - Yes, that's fine.

mik - You don't need the Pro version of quicktime, but you do need version 7 of quicktime to have the h.264 codec in your machine. Beyond that, if you're not sure how to get a h.264 compressed version of your film, I would recommend going to the subforum here that represents your particular NLE and ask how to create it.

mik
10-23-2007, 09:36 AM
Well, thanx. I found a friend that can compress the .avi into a h.264 .mov for me.

But, in the end im not in. This time i really wanted to do something; my bad for forgetting that the deadline was too near; just half a week before and everything will be probably gone. I was planning to shoot tomorrow but i ran into some troubles (actress not aviable, actor only aviable at certain times...) better do nothing rather than something made too faster to be good...

Next time maybe... i'm a bit sad 'cause the prize was appealing, other than the fact that i wanted to show myself that i can do something good.

Duff
10-23-2007, 06:59 PM
Just for clarification:

"The upload form will be deactivated at 12:00AM (Midnight) Pacific Time, Friday, October 26. No films nor revisions will be accepted after that time."

This means 11:59PM on Thursday is the latest we can submit something, correct? Or is it intended to be 11:59PM Friday?

mrcheapyasui
10-23-2007, 07:33 PM
So you say it needs 10 seconds of credits at the end. Does it really need TEN seconds, or can it be more like 5? Hahah things would have been so much easier for me if it was a 6 minute cut off.

Larry Rutledge
10-23-2007, 09:40 PM
Duff - Yes, it should say 11:59PM Friday, or 12:00 AM Saturday. It's a tricky time to accurately represent.

mrcheapyasui - it needs to be 10 seconds of credits. :)

Brandon Rice
10-23-2007, 09:42 PM
Larry! you were online for 2 seconds! Come back!!

Gulroc
10-24-2007, 11:54 PM
Talk about last minute. Had a major change, but it's coming.

mikkowilson
10-25-2007, 03:38 AM
Entries due tommorrow night!

Time to get uploading if you haven't yet!

If you arn't done editing by now and haven't started encoding, you are getting pretty pushed for time. Your safty buffer for re-encoding and/or re-uploading is closing fast!

- Mikko

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-25-2007, 11:54 AM
I just finished uploading, poster and all.

Thanks again for running the Fest. Great bunch of people here...

Cheers,

Mike

Karl151k
10-25-2007, 12:22 PM
So I uploaded my movie two days ago as a "rough-cut" and today I re-uploaded the final cut. I named the file the exact same thing on the upload, so will my new one overwrite my old one? If not, then there will be two of my movies with the exact same name and very subtle differences, which would make it hard for the mods to tell which to keep. Should I just re-upload and name is something completely different and have the other 2 be deleted, or what? Thanks!

Larry Rutledge
10-25-2007, 02:03 PM
Karl - I got the notification of the new upload. The new upload will replace the previous version you sent earlier.

Karl151k
10-25-2007, 02:19 PM
Thanks Larry!

Jay Rodriguez
10-25-2007, 03:20 PM
getting ready to pull the trigger now

lauralouface
10-25-2007, 04:03 PM
Well I uploaded - crossing my fingers that everything worked and will be approved. Hey does anyone else have a complaint about how crappy it is trying to compress an h.264 mov in Adobe Premiere Pro? Really desaturates the picture, and not very many options to prevent that - at least that I saw. Unfortunately my compression does not do the true vibrant colors of my movie justice =(

Brandon Rice
10-25-2007, 04:22 PM
getting ready to pull the trigger now

right on!! :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-25-2007, 04:24 PM
Well I uploaded - crossing my fingers that everything worked and will be approved. Hey does anyone else have a complaint about how crappy it is trying to compress an h.264 mov in Adobe Premiere Pro? Really desaturates the picture, and not very many options to prevent that - at least that I saw. Unfortunately my compression does not do the true vibrant colors of my movie justice =(
PM me if you want a few tips and think you have the time to redo it.n I'm using PPro with great success.

I can try to walk you through it...

Mike

Brandon Rice
10-25-2007, 06:03 PM
Go Go Go Go!!!

Gulroc
10-26-2007, 10:54 PM
Safari doesn't seem to like the upload client, but thank goodness Firefox does. All systems go!

GREYTV
10-29-2007, 06:18 PM
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and first thing that caught my eyes is the all hallows fest. wat a great idea!!! but how do members view these films.

I am also a new filmmaker myself, just helped put together a horror feature film a few weeks ago. should have joined the forum earlier perhaps I could have get a short together from the feature film xP maybe next year...

anyway, any way i can see these awesome looking films?

Brandon Rice
10-29-2007, 06:21 PM
Viewing will begin soon, stay tuned :)

Barry_Green
10-29-2007, 06:46 PM
They'll probably be released sometime Wednesday or so.

Brandon Rice
10-29-2007, 06:49 PM
I'm going to go "out on a limb" and say tomorrow :)

strancali
10-29-2007, 09:11 PM
I hope we can view them tomorrow, i'll be busy taking the little one trick or treating on Wednesday!

Barry_S
10-29-2007, 09:16 PM
Tomorrow's looking good for opening the fest. Maybe even a surprise or two. :)

strancali
10-29-2007, 10:12 PM

:beer:

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-30-2007, 05:32 AM
Tomorrow's looking good for opening the fest. Maybe even a surprise or two. :)Tomorrow as in today??

:)

mikkowilson
10-30-2007, 05:58 AM
Tomorrow as in today??

:)

Wait, when?

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k154/xicana_uprising/th_Spaceballs.jpg

- Mikko

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-30-2007, 06:15 AM
Well, first this was posted...

I hope we can view them tomorrow, i'll be busy taking the little one trick or treating on Wednesday!

And then this...

But it was posted after Midnight (my time). :grin:

I'm assuming we'll see them sometime today.

Mike

Barry_S
10-30-2007, 07:00 AM
Tonight. :)

Simon Höfer
10-30-2007, 07:12 AM
YEAH :D Well... but actually I think it will be tomorow for me. Damn timeshift. How about daytime? :)