PDA

View Full Version : Ok. Film is now 5 min exactly. Just one problem: No Titles or Credits yet.

mentatDUKE
10-15-2007, 09:29 PM
So the rules state Titles, Body of Film, then 10 secs of Credits.

Is it the BODY of the film that is 5 min excluding credits and titles, meaning we get a separate 10 seconds for them?

Thanks for your time. Good luck to everyone.

Jason Ramsey
10-15-2007, 09:31 PM
5 minutes total, for everything. 5 minutes.

Later,
Jason

DarkMatter
10-15-2007, 11:34 PM
So the rules state Titles, Body of Film, then 10 secs of Credits.

Is it the BODY of the film that is 5 min excluding credits and titles, meaning we get a separate 10 seconds for them?

Thanks for your time. Good luck to everyone.

Actually rules state TITLE, film, 10s credits, Trim it up man! Make a longer version for yourself but stick to the rules don't get dqed.

Ki-Ki
10-16-2007, 03:56 AM
Can you include the odd couple of names at the start

FILM TITLE, DIRECTOR, PRODUCER, ACTOR, etc?

Or would that become part of the credits also? Finally, would the In Memory thing be part of the credits, if someone were to say that?

Sorry man, didn't wan't to make a similar post =]

Kieran

mentatDUKE
10-16-2007, 05:36 AM
Doesn't stating "10 seconds of credits" imply that the film can be 5 min, but the credits can be 10 seconds?

Otherwise, why would "10 seconds of credits" even be stated?
For example: An earlier post by our friend and neighbor, Brandon Rice stated that his credits are over 10 seconds, but it doesn't matter since his film is so short.

With this in mind, I think I failed to analyze the rules properly and have now realized that the 10 seconds of credits are an allowance in addition to the film's 5 min length. How can it be read any other way?

Thanks guys.

Ben Sliker
10-16-2007, 06:16 AM
i still don't think you are clear on it mentat. make sure your film doesn't go over 5 min. that being said, it's cool to see you are entering.

Luis Caffesse
10-16-2007, 06:50 AM
From Barry's Posted rules:
"All films must be no longer than 5 (five) minutes total. The following format must be followed. Film Title (any format), body of film, 10 seconds of credits (which must clearly acknowledge dvxuser.com)."

Clearly says 5 minutes total.

mikkowilson
10-16-2007, 07:11 AM
A Jason said: 5 mintues includes everything. The opening title, the film, the credits, - the whole video file.

And no exceptions. Sorry, gota cut it down.

- Mikko

Robbie Comeau
10-16-2007, 07:45 AM
What you can do is add the credits, so its 5:10 seconds, then just add a slow mo to the whole video untill its 5:00 ;)

mikkowilson
10-16-2007, 07:52 AM
LOL.

Ironically; a 5:10 peice at 24fps played at 25fps for PAL comes out to 4:57 .. perfect! :grin:

- Mikko

mentatDUKE
10-16-2007, 11:08 AM
If that's true, then why the 10 second stipulation? If you run the rules through a logic gate, does it parse? :)

5:10 it is....

Jason Ramsey
10-16-2007, 11:51 AM
5:10? No... it's 5:00 minutes for everything.... That includes your credits. He is just stipulating that you need (included within that 5 minute TRT) at least 10 seconds of credits, within which you must clearly acknowledge DVXuser.

Just consider it part of the format of the total 5 minutes. It's not 5:10. It's 5. If you go 5:10, don't expect it to qualify for entry. There has not been any kind of grace period the last several fests, and I don't expect that to change this time, though Barry and Larry are the official word.

It seems quite clear to me, but maybe that's just me and Luis...

Jason

Weston
10-16-2007, 11:57 AM
I asked barrys in a pm and he said credits could be shorter than ten seconds...just that all of it had to fit within 5 minutes.

Joops
10-16-2007, 12:01 PM
soooooooo if i'm understanding this correctly --- five minutes then? ;- )

mikkowilson
10-16-2007, 12:40 PM
Joops .. you'd be correct.

The idea behind "10 seconds" of credits is that you need to have proper clear credits. In the past, some entries have used just the very last frame of the video for the credits, based on the idea that an online player will pause on the last frame "extending" the last frame to allow you to read the credits. Of course that causes proplems for other distribution, so we don't want 1-frame credits.

Make a proper film, with a clear title on the front, and proper credits at the end, and keep the whole presentation under 00:05:00:00 and you are golden.
Note that no-were does it say you have to fill the full 5mins of course!

- Mikko

Ki-Ki
10-16-2007, 12:49 PM
Note that no-were does it say you have to fill the full 5mins of course!

- Mikko

Agh, opening a new can of worms now. Never thought that, thank's for putting the concept in my small imagination.

Gord.T
10-16-2007, 01:40 PM
Hey, long time no see. "Sneek" is cemented in my mind so good to see you back.

mentatDUKE
10-16-2007, 02:16 PM
Thanks, Raptor and hybridtheory.

Ok, things are getting a bit more clear now. Thanks to everyone for their input. I now understand the 10 seconds of credits. They have to be AT LEAST 10 seconds. They're allowed to be longer, but not shorter. However this bugs me from Weston:

"I asked barrys in a pm and he said credits could be shorter than ten seconds...just that all of it had to fit within 5 minutes."

So which one is it? No shorter than 10 seconds or can it still be a few seconds of credits?

Thanks all.

DarkMatter
10-16-2007, 02:24 PM
Ok, this is your movie (title,film,credits) All under five minutes. And if BarryS Said credits could be less than 10 seconds it is a fact.