PDA

View Full Version : Is dropping the "F" bomb forbidden?

Jay Rodriguez
10-14-2007, 11:13 AM
Just realized that the f bomb was dropped once in my film.... Is that forbidden?

Matthew R. Rodwell
10-14-2007, 11:16 AM
The rules said keep it under an "R" rating so I dont think 1 F bomb would throw you into an NC-17 rating but then again I may have overlooked something that said it was forbidden :/

Tom Marshall
10-14-2007, 11:42 AM
Go watch Ted Arabian's entry for last year's Horrorfest. That should answer your question... (he used the F word - oh, probably around 20+ times...) :grin:

Mark Johnson
10-14-2007, 01:10 PM
And check out his Spyfest entry, too! Mr. f*ck f*ck f*ck was back again.

DimmuJed
10-14-2007, 05:34 PM
seems.....so....inappropriate in this thread......

Jay Rodriguez
10-14-2007, 05:40 PM
lol, ok, thanks fellas.......

androoow
10-16-2007, 09:23 PM
i always thought using the "F" always made these films look amateurish , like it was being added to make actors look like hard bastards and that they were serious and angry.... mind you loads of films i watched ended with people shooting themselves ... odd that!

Blaine
10-16-2007, 10:31 PM
Nothing at all wrong with the f-bomb in dialogue as long as it "works" in the dialogue. I don't think Tarantino's use of f*ck could be seen as amateurish. Now, I'm certainly not comparing the contest output to QT but when it's done "in context" it can be a good thing.

J.R. Hudson
10-16-2007, 10:35 PM
Fuck that

Tarantino uses the F Bomb as much as I do in a sentence

Blaine
10-16-2007, 10:37 PM
poo poo that

Tarantino uses the F Bomb as much as I do in a sentence
Fuck you...:grin:

Drew Ott
10-16-2007, 10:38 PM
Not everybody uses profanity and I personally try to write my characters to each use a certain degree of it.

Each character usually gets a 1-10 rating of how much they use and when they use it. This 1-10 rating is subconscious by the way. I don't make character lists and rate them for different things, though it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Blaine
10-16-2007, 10:44 PM
Actually, "character" can really be displayed through the use (or non-use) of profanity. Look at Scorcese's or Tarantino's characters and juxtapose them against Thomas Harris' "Hannibal Lechter". By purposely having him be "above it" gives us insights to his character.

Jay Rodriguez
10-17-2007, 03:12 PM
too late now, lol.... it was only used once though so it's no biggie.

Drew Ott
10-17-2007, 05:44 PM
Actually, "character" can really be displayed through the use (or non-use) of profanity. Look at Scorcese's or Tarantino's characters and juxtapose them against Thomas Harris' "Hannibal Lechter". By purposely having him be "above it" gives us insights to his character.

That's what I meant (not sure if you're responding/disagreeing with me).

I meant that some (most) of my characters would be on the lower end which is, in my opinion, more realistic.

Jen Bright
10-22-2007, 12:59 AM
Its my personal swear of choice. Just as long as its used sensibly and not just for the sake of swearing, I don't see it as a problem.

DimmuJed
10-23-2007, 12:52 AM
the F bomb is so unoffensive these days, i prefer the C bombs. Bunt Blit.

Shawn Philip Nelson
10-24-2007, 10:48 PM
If the atomic bomb had been instead named the Fusion Bomb...would the US army have been dropping F-Bombs? ...

mjjason
10-24-2007, 11:00 PM
There use to be great radio joke/flash cartoon on the various uses of the F-word. I have to find it now.

mjjason
10-24-2007, 11:01 PM
Got to love youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONIzDOzx_GE

DimmuJed
10-25-2007, 05:07 PM
Got to Hate YouTube. Seriously. Anyone watch/hear of Chris Crocker? I rest my case.

traviscool
10-26-2007, 02:14 PM
Got to Hate YouTube. Seriously. Anyone watch/hear of Chris Crocker? I rest my case.

Oh, I love youtube. True with any widely used service, there will be crazy and weird and freakish people but still they make up such a small percentage of what's on youtube it really does not bother me.
Still I understand you're hatred.

BergVision
10-27-2007, 02:52 PM
What's the point of using that kind of talk in a film? I think you can tell a good quality and moving story with out using such profanity to do it. Actions speak louder than words!

BergVision
10-27-2007, 02:55 PM
Oh, I love youtube. True with any widely used service, there will be crazy and weird and freakish people but still they make up such a small percentage of what's on youtube it really does not bother me.
Still I understand you're hatred.

YouTube was fun for a time. Until I started getting Death threats against me and my family. Rape threats againt my wife, son and daughter, and threats to destroy my company. They started posting my business phone number on internet ads selling my equipment off. Basicly just being total losers with no life of their own. But I figured I was just throwing my talent and time to pigs with no life, so I left. :thumbsup: Plus I have gotten very busy with work and have had no time for screwtube.