wilx
10-08-2007, 06:45 AM
bts::

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/25497/1192098277.jpg

Ross & Moog going through a setup.

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/25497/1192098366.jpg

Red, red wine...

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/25497/1192098409.jpg

Simon, with our somewhat improvised sound rec. setup. Having no budget is fun!
:-HeadPhones(D

Glideshot
10-08-2007, 08:34 AM
Good luck and welcome to the fest!

DarkMatter
10-08-2007, 04:48 PM
Looking forward to it!

DimmuJed
10-08-2007, 06:38 PM
American Werewolf In London II? J/K

Please PLEASE have your British actors have fake American accents (if you want me to laugh) it has to be my favorite thing on Earth.

But seriously, I hope it's good, about time we get some good ole' accents around this joint.

DannyDarko
10-09-2007, 12:00 AM
Neat name. It's got me interested.

wilx
10-09-2007, 02:40 AM
American Werewolf In London II? J/K

Please PLEASE have your British actors have fake American accents (if you want me to laugh) it has to be my favorite thing on Earth.

But seriously, I hope it's good, about time we get some good ole' accents around this joint.

I'm afraid you might be disappointed - our lead actress is an Aussie!
And no werewolves or fake American accents - but thanks for the comments. :)

Moog
10-09-2007, 07:03 AM
Yeah - all the werewolves were behind the camera - sorry.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-09-2007, 07:36 AM
Looks interesting! Can't wait to see it.

Cheers,

Mike

Glideshot
10-09-2007, 09:18 AM
Cool poster...I was wondering when someone might work in the myspace craze theme.

Of course I could be completely off track here, but I'm excited to see it!

RossShep
10-11-2007, 03:23 AM
Oh no no, you're pretty much right on track there!!

Glad you liked the poster - thanks

wilx
10-11-2007, 04:29 AM
Bts/caps added to first page...

Just to update, we're well into post now.
I'm currently finishing off the audio & sound design, and then I get to start on the score - if I ever manage to tear myself away from foley! It's too much fun. :)
Ross has edited & graded to a pretty-much locked picture now, so we should be well on track to finish for the deadline.

Marlon Ladd
10-19-2007, 03:21 PM
Cool shots and poster. This one should be very interesting.

mentatDUKE
10-19-2007, 08:10 PM
Nice poster and intriguing idea. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

RossShep
10-31-2007, 01:10 PM
So did we brits deliver? Has anyone seen this yet?

Am knew on here and would love to hear what any of you guys thought of our first flick.....

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-31-2007, 01:28 PM
POSSIBLE SPOILERS......

Loved the opening credit! Very slick...
Acting seemed quite solid overall.

I liked the tie-in at the end as well. Really, quite good overall.
Of course, I could be picky and nail you for the lack of 10 seconds worth of credits. ;)

All in all.... very good movie.

Cheers,

Mike

Luis Caffesse
10-31-2007, 01:32 PM
******WARNING SPOILERS BELOW******

Nice job!
This was was a very pleasant surprise for me, as I didn't know what to expect because I've never seen any of your work.

The story on this one I thought was great.
I completely thought I knew where it was going...and when you had the guy chicken out I was honestly surprised, and a bit horrified.
That was really a great moment.

Good work - solid story - tehcnically it could have been a little smoother, some shots stood out as very nice, while others only seemed 'ok' by comparison... so stylistically it seemed a bit uneven (or I guess 'inconsistent' is the word I'm looking for)... but the story carried this thing through, in my opinion.

Well done.
:thumbsup:

bosindy
10-31-2007, 01:44 PM
good film, smart ending, good acting, well done.

RossShep
10-31-2007, 02:45 PM
Wow - thank you so much for these comments, its really great to get some good constructive feedback!!

To be honest I think Im in total agreement with each of these reviews, but most of all Im happy that you have fully understood the story I was trying to tell first and foremost, as I did a few things structure wise I was wondering about in the edit.

Overall I was really quite pleased with the actors performances, although it was weird, the things I thought it would hard to get them to do (like fighting etc) were really easy and the simpler things (like talking on the phone? Hello!!) were really tough. I think they all carried the material well and suited their roles.

Now - the juicey part - lets talk shots!! I think you nailed it here below Luis Caffesse, I really wanted to pack this film with a lot of striking and unusual angles and began by following my storyboard quite unforgivingly. Then I turned around and it was the end of the first day of our 2 day shoot and I had pretty much only got all the exteriors in the can. Uh-oh!! It meant we had to race through a lot on the begining part of the 2nd day (especially the kitchen stuff) and I had to just start shooting standard coverage for some of this. after this we shot the fight stuff and I managed to get back on track with where I wanted to be shot wise here.

What did you guys think of the score?

As a director this was the one area that I was most happy with. It was my first collaboration with DVXUser member Wilx, a composer and fellow camera geek and I was really made up with his work. I had no idea what he was gonna come back with, and in the end I didnt ask him to change a thing. Well done to him.

But enough of this shamless back-patting, its sounding like a DVD 'making of ' documentary round here.

Thanks for all your comments, please keep 'em coming!!:dankk2:

Dmitry Yun
10-31-2007, 02:47 PM
Goosebumps...Creepy things coming out of Britain :) I love the European feel, the pacing was effective and the acting was definitely top notch. Good luck, I hope to see more of your work in the near future.

RossShep
10-31-2007, 02:56 PM
Hey thanks a lot for this, great that you liked what you saw. :thumbup:

I've never thought that I might have a European feel when I make stuff!!

To be honest we spend most of our time trying to be like you yanks as you guys show us all hows its done!! (Well I do anyway....)

Luis Caffesse
10-31-2007, 03:02 PM
I've never thought that I might have a European feel when I make stuff!!

Well, all you really had to do to get a 'european feel' is shoot an exterior shot.
:)

Dmitry Yun
10-31-2007, 03:03 PM
Pretty much hehe...Come one I love European movies!!! :) try to be more like them

RossShep
10-31-2007, 03:25 PM
Haha!! Well Im glad to see we've started a nice little debate here!! Despite my Britishness I'd pick a Hollywood flick over any European stuff any day (maybe with the exception of anything by Edgar Wright)

With Net Friend I dont think I was trying to stamp it with either a Hollywood or european feel to be honest, we were just trying to reel you in to the story really.:happy:

Dmitry Yun
10-31-2007, 03:26 PM
What about Guy Ritchie and Danny Boyle?

RossShep
10-31-2007, 05:39 PM
Mehhhh.... not really keen on either of these guys. In fact I would say I dislike Guy Ritchie films!!

Brit filmmakers I do like:

Christopher Nolan (bloody amazing!!)
Paul Greengrass
Terry Gilliam
Richard Attenbourough
Edgar Wright
Richard Marquand (only because he 'technically' directed one of the greatest films ever made.... you know what Im talking about right?!)
Ridely Scott (he's ok most of the time Alien, Hannibal and Gladiator are awesome but forget about GI Jane - pah!!)

Brandon Rice
10-31-2007, 10:45 PM
Some of your framing, and your actors impressed me a lot... good to bring it all back around at the end as well... wrapped the story up nicely...

some dings for me were the audio, and some of the lighting...

Jay Rodriguez
11-01-2007, 01:58 PM
Hey good movie man! I liked this one. I think it would be a better short if it was edited down a bit more though. This is one of my top 4 films so far.

Ben Sliker
11-02-2007, 11:10 AM
rossshep,

I liked the opening "awkward" sequence between the man and woman, it played well, but it was a little hampered by the discontinuous car sounds and a couple lines were a little muddled.

You did a couple things really well that sometimes hamper low-budget films, the dialogue when she's on the phone was done really well, most of the time i find when someone's just talking into the phone, it's annoying or overdone. So good job! And secondly was the sound work on the guy on the phone, good audio filter job, again, those can get tinny and annoying sometimes.

You really got me with the ending, I almost yelled at the screen "you chicken sh*t, get in there and help the cute girl!?@?" so that was fairly effective and unexpected as well.

All in all, I think this was a quality entry, nice graphics, way to play into today's "net" society, and of course, real british accents! Nice work!

Dmitry Yun
11-02-2007, 12:46 PM
Richard Marquand (only because he 'technically' directed one of the greatest films ever made.... you know what Im talking about right?!)

Are you talking about Star Wars? :)

Dmitry Yun
11-02-2007, 12:47 PM

Are you talking about Star Wars? :)

Just saw a doc about San Francisco filmmakers, and he was on there. But I love Danny Boyle's work, I'm probably his biggest fan.

Marlon Ladd
11-03-2007, 12:25 PM
I really liked the title sequence. That was way cool. I thought the story was a good one. The only thing I felt could have had a bit more punch was the killer and girl struggling at the end. It just seemed like he was doing nothing, but holding her down. Other than that, I liked the direction and plot and I think the actors did a pretty good job.

And again, nice creativity with the title sequence and really all the computer stuff in there.

RossShep
11-03-2007, 08:10 PM
Hey thanks a lot for this feedback - Im glad you liked what I did with the graphics there.:thumbsup:

I had learned from a previous project that shooting an actual computer screen is often not at all clear or 'crisp' enough to look good, so decided to play around with doing this in photoshop and AFX. The hardest part by far was trying to animate a real looking mouse arrow darting around. Early attempts just look too damn exact for anyone who could be actually browsing a web page!! Im happy with where the graphics finished up, but as always would have liked a bit longer to do some more stuff.

Fair point on the struggle - I see what you're saying. All I can say is that I never wanted the film to focus on the attack itself, but more on the reasons behind it, (The whole social networking/personal safety angle). I had always said to the crew and cast that the attack would only be suggested. However, I regret not getting the actors to have run through a bit more of a struggle once he's caught her as your right - he does just kind of hold her there!!

Thanks for watching though, great to hear these comments.

Maximus
11-03-2007, 08:58 PM
I liked yours alot, and place it in my top five. Technically very good, but most impressive was the story. Felt it had a solid three act structure for a five minute film. Good actors. Like the tag that revealed the killer's M.O. - I think X-Files used a similar, but not exactly the same, plot device. In any case, well done.

RossShep
11-04-2007, 09:35 AM
Wow thanks a lot for this - glad you liked the script.

Top 5? Awesome!!:D

mentatDUKE
11-04-2007, 06:10 PM
Ross,
I liked the actors in this. For some reason, british actors help performances. :)
The title graphics were very well done. I thought your structure choice was interesting. You explained how the fake repairman was able to infiltrate her life the way he did. Topical and clever.

Nice.

RossShep
11-04-2007, 07:01 PM
Thank you!!

I was hoping someone might find it topical what with the whole facebook/myspace explosion recently.

Glad it struck that cord with you.

DarkMatter
11-04-2007, 10:57 PM
You may not believe this, but I was planning to do a short on this same subject (not for this fest however), and premise; and while I probably would have gone a little darker into the violence, your story idea is much better than the one I had in mind. The acting was very good, the shots were very well planned, and your titles were great!
It's just too bad that guy (What was his name?) didn't have the balls to ask Helen out, he probably would have got lucky, instead she got stiffed (literally)!
Great job guys!

wilx
11-05-2007, 02:41 AM
Thanks for all the comments - I've been out of town and I'm just catching up on viewing the films & checking out feedback.

I think I agree with pretty much all the comments here - both positive and negative.

The audio recording was a completely new experience. I've never done it before, and was using one condenser vocal mic for the whole thing!
The sound I like least is the indoor dialogue, mainly because I think the indoor reverberations jolt the consistency a bit and possibly make it sound a bit 'cheap'.
Plus, I've learned that cars/singing neighbours/helicopters/animals tend to ever-so-slightly hamper getting a decent dialogue take when filming outside - so that's something worth remembering.

I certainly learned a lot though, and loved making the film - and kudos to Ross doing an excellent job on the script/fx/editing/directing etc! And having Simon and Moog during production was an invaluable help - and a nice, immediate 2nd/3rd opinion on many things.

Cheers again for the comments - I'll watch the entries asap and give some feedback myself. :)

cinealma
11-06-2007, 01:52 PM
REVIEW:
Wow, I'm surprised not a lot of people have commented on this film. Some fine craft here and the acting was superb. Kudos to the writing, a nice script. And I really like the score. It was very different and subtle, which worked well with the film. A fine, fine job.

FILMMAKER-TO-FILMMAKER:
The audio distracted me at first (get a windjammer on that mic!), but soon I forgot about that because I became engaged in the story and the characters. Five minutes is a tough cookie. I wish you could have done more with it because it definitely demanded some more time.

The ending came too quickly and gave us more of an introduction to the bad guy. Did he kill the woman or did he just assault and rape her? That's a question I think we need to know. Also, the ending I think needed to be tied up a bit more or at least give us a glimpse into the future. Maybe he could have been looking at another woman's picture or maybe he could have been looking at the other guy's picture (if he was a killer) or maybe we see the bad guy in an office, like he's the young CEO of Net Friend (wow, crazy!) or ???

Obviously I really liked your film because it's gets the ideas flowing in my head. Good job, and thanks for sharing! I look forward to more stuff from you.

Cheers! :beer:

Chris Messineo
11-06-2007, 02:58 PM
I thought this was very well done.

Very professional looking, good acting, and nice pacing. I particularly like the intercutting during the attack when the friend almost rang the bell.

Good job.

lauralouface
11-06-2007, 08:03 PM
I really liked this one - I was getting really anxious when the guy goes up to ring the doorbell...you definetely pulled me into the story. Great editing, story, acting, all of it. I'm not going to nit pick, either, all the key elements were fullfilled for me :)

RossShep
11-07-2007, 09:04 AM
Hey guys - wow thanks so much for these comments!!

Point taken on the ending - a look to the future would certainly have been nice.
We did actually shoot a whole scene where the Gas Man/Killer leaves the house and passes the neighbour in the street - I was trying to get at the fact that as 2 strangers they are in fact so connected. I was really happy with that sequence but alas, with the 5 min rule it had to go. Maybe we should do an extended cut at some point.

I would certainly like to see more of the killer character and would love to maybe develop his story. But the main thing is, as a short you found him interesting enough to want to know more and this (as a writer) makes me happy - so thanks again.:cheesy:

J.R. Hudson
11-08-2007, 08:11 AM
I really enjoyed this film.

Although not as technically polished as it could have been I was engaged from the start.

The actors were believable in the intro scene and I felt bad; we've all been in that siuation. I was bummed for their missed romatic opportunity.

When she gets the call and realizes the man in her house is not the Gas Man, I was totally affected; it was a scary moment.

What a down note; the potential romantic partner decides not to go for it and walks away from the apartment. :(

I thought overall it was a nice job and it now sits in my Top 3 as I prepare to vote.

The cinematography needs some refining but the audio was fabulous I thought.

What elese can I say ?

Great job ! I was entertained and into it and nothing stands out as a negative is !

mjjason
11-08-2007, 08:48 AM
I put this second on my list. The reason was I felt that you executed your story concept quite well. This was an enjoyable film.

Some of the problems I had were that the shots were inconsistent. They lacked cinematic scope. It felt like a standard movie. Also, the acting, while good, wasn't stellar. It had a typical movie progression.

Having said that I still thought it was better than most films in this fest bar one. The reason I liked it was cause it kept me interested which is what any film should do. Also, I liked the characters and cared what happened to them. I felt disappointed that the guy didn't ring the bell and the girl was left on her own to die.

Good Job overall.

andoguru
11-08-2007, 02:30 PM
Hey RossShep,

My friend made the suggestion that what if the killer was more involved with NetFriend like he was the CEO or one of the founders of Netfriend. I think that would be really cool and a big payoff.

I thought the story for this was good. Simple and fits in the 5 minutes fine. Being American, I love seeing and hearing the english accent and surroundings so you get a freebie for that. Good actors and actress, who was very hot. Nice casting. One problem was that the men both looked too similar because of the hair style.

I thought this was shot well, nothing too fancy because you didn't need it to be. I thought there was a slight lull when she was talking on her cell before the 'gas man' showed up. Could have been a little tighter.

I thought the ending was good when the potential hero comes up to the door and then chickens out..."what are you doing?! Ring the bell, you wanker!"
I thought the killer should have been more aggressive though. Like he should have slapped her or covered her mouth. She should have maybe had her closes ripped. As it is right now, they just quietly struggle on the ground which is uninteresting and unrealistic. She would be screaming her head off and kicking and clawing and biting.

So the payoff could be better at the end, but overall good job! I really enjoyed it.

Laters,
Ando

Michele Seidman
11-09-2007, 03:24 PM
I think this film was very well done and I am also surprised by the lack of comments. Your actress did a wonderful job and I am ultra picky on phone scenes. Most look like they are faking the calls...she nailed it. I love how you have the guy making it all the way to the door and backing away...because half of us are sitting there hoping she gets saved.

Even more...I love the statement it makes about how stupid people are in giving out information on the web without thinking of their own safety and security. It plays on the reality very nicely. When you think of how many times things of this nature happen...it seems more plausible and frightening.

All in all I am very glad a little birdy chirped and said move this up your list...and I did...

RossShep
11-09-2007, 06:23 PM
Hi

Really glad that you've picked up on the message of the film - as that was always the driving factor behinfd the script and really my first motivation for making the film at all.

You've also mentioned something else which I wasnt sure had really come across - I was hoping that the audience really expect to see the neighbour save the day - but then leave them with a much more bleak 'realistic' ending where he does nothing. Im not 100% happy with the way I executed the tension of this ending but you seem to have read it just how I hoped so this makes me very happy.

Thanks for watching!!

Mark Harris
11-10-2007, 10:45 AM
This was really well done.

The only beef I had was that the ending felt contrived to me. Nothing in that love interest's behavior up to that point led to that line about her being out of his league. She made it clear that she was interested. He was ABOUT to ask her out when the sister called. None of the behavior really pointed to him feeling inferior to her. So his reaction at the door felt out of the blue and like the writer wanted to make a point, so bent that character to make that point. It felt a little manipulative and unreal to me.

But the acting was good, and the whole thing very well done, I thought. And the story was a good length for this contest. You can get good drama into 5 min with a story like this.

Good Work!

Michele Seidman
11-10-2007, 11:00 AM
Hi

I was hoping that the audience really expect to see the neighbour save the day - but then leave them with a much more bleak 'realistic' ending where he does nothing. Im not 100% happy with the way I executed the tension of this ending but you seem to have read it just how I hoped so this makes me very happy.

Thanks for watching!!

I did get it but I do agree about the line choice at the point. See below

This was really well done.

The only beef I had was that the ending felt contrived to me. Nothing in that love interest's behavior up to that point led to that line about her being out of his league. She made it clear that she was interested. He was ABOUT to ask her out when the sister called. None of the behavior really pointed to him feeling inferior to her. So his reaction at the door felt out of the blue and like the writer wanted to make a point, so bent that character to make that point. It felt a little manipulative and unreal to me.

Good Work!

I would have rather heard him say something like "she is leaving, it won't work'" or something like that. The out of her league line did not really fit since she had made it clear she had interest. That interest is what I think drives him to the door...making us have hope he will save her. So I do get your point on that one line.

Jack Daniel Stanley
11-12-2007, 02:40 AM
Hey congrats on the special selection.
Much deserved. You guys were in my top 3 actually - high in my top three.

:beer:

RossShep
11-12-2007, 02:33 PM
Thank you Jack, thats really nice of you to say so.

Thanks you all who voted for Net Friend - I've totally enjoyed the experience of entering this, my first DVX fest - we'll certainly be back next time to enter again!!

Thanks for all the comments that have been left on this thread, its been fun and very interesting to read what you guys thought.

Well done to the DVX User staff, you've put together a very slick festival - excellent stuff.:laugh: