PDA

View Full Version : FX-1 Cineframe24 revisited

Batutta
10-07-2007, 11:45 AM
After doing several tests, I've found Cineframe24 to be not nearly as bad as many make it out to be. I think the secret is properly removing the pulldown, and I've discovered JES De-Interlacer (a free program) does a great job of it. The cineframe24 clips I've had the pulldown removed with this program have a perfect 24p cadence to them. No weird jerkiness at all, which is how Cineframe without the pulldown removed normally appears. I've come to the conclusion that the problem with Cineframe24 is the way Sony samples the pulldown frames, and when they are taken out, the video looks great. Granted, you get a 1/4" reduction in overall resolution, but you are able to edit your footage in a 24p timeline without the use of cumbersome plug-ins like Nattress Standards conversion. JES also allows batch processing, so you can throw a bunch of clips in, set your desired output format (I use AIC, although you can export to any Quicktime format) and have a nap. It encodes pretty fast on my MacBook Pro, way faster than realtime, and automatically detects the cadence (no trying to figure out the A frame). Of course there are better consumer cameras to get HD 24p with, but for those of you with the FX-1, don't let the hate about Cineframe24 keep you from using it. I did a short in 60i using nattress film effects, and while the plug in does a great job, in retrospect, Cineframe24 would have saved me a lot of trouble and render time.

ADDENDUM:

Compressor 3 can now remove pulldown, automatically detects cadence, and is more stable, negating the need for JES.

ElektronBlue
11-02-2007, 12:52 PM
After doing several tests, I've found Cineframe24 to be not nearly as bad as many make it out to be. I think the secret is properly removing the pulldown, and I've discovered JES De-Interlacer (a free program) does a great job of it. The cineframe24 clips I've had the pulldown removed with this program have a perfect 24p cadence to them. No weird jerkiness at all, which is how Cineframe without the pulldown removed normally appears. I've come to the conclusion that the problem with Cineframe24 is the way Sony samples the pulldown frames, and when they are taken out, the video looks great. Granted, you get a 1/4" reduction in overall resolution, but you are able to edit your footage in a 24p timeline without the use of cumbersome plug-ins like Nattress Standards conversion. JES also allows batch processing, so you can throw a bunch of clips in, set your desired output format (I use AIC, although you can export to any Quicktime format) and have a nap. It encodes pretty fast on my MacBook Pro, way faster than realtime, and automatically detects the cadence (no trying to figure out the A frame). Of course there are better consumer cameras to get HD 24p with, but for those of you with the FX-1, don't let the hate about Cineframe24 keep you from using it. I did a short in 60i using nattress film effects, and while the plug in does a great job, in retrospect, Cineframe24 would have saved me a lot of trouble and render time.

Hey Batutta - Thanks for the write up. It's nice to hear a positive note about the cineframe24 on the fx1 vs the majority.

Would you be so kind to post any footage with use of the technique? I'm interested in seeing what you came up with.

Thanks!

Jason

Batutta
11-02-2007, 02:58 PM
I shot this using cineframe, mainly because I wanted to avoid interlacing for the green screen, but was surprised to see the motion rendered so well.

http://vimeo.com/347369

pcascio
11-02-2007, 05:04 PM
Not sure what I'm looking for, or what I should see, but that was an awesome production. Great job. Loved the commercial too.

pcascio
11-02-2007, 05:08 PM
Is JES available for PC's too. If not, what program would you recommend?
Thanks

Batutta
11-02-2007, 07:19 PM
Not sure what I'm looking for, or what I should see, but that was an awesome production. Great job. Loved the commercial too.

Well if you noticed nothing then that's great, as it should just look like smooth 24 frames per second. Cineframe24 without pulldown removed has a weird jerky cadence to it that looks strobey.

JES is only for mac, don't know of any PC programs. Look for a program that will do an inverse telecine and remove 2:3 pulldown from 29.97 footage, preferably one that automatically detects the cadence, otherwise you'll spend forever trying to figure out the A frame of each clip.