More Cowbell Pictures would like to present.... JOEL 3:15

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/23237/1194294509.gif

Updated Cast Photos: October 19, 2007

Female Lead: Tressa Wilson

http://www.morecowbellpictures.com/images/tressa.jpg

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-02-2007, 08:51 AM
October 16, 2007

A few direct screen grabs. The CC work is incomplete.

http://www.morecowbellpictures.com/images/joel_315_bedroom.jpg

http://www.morecowbellpictures.com/images/joel_315_outside.jpg

http://www.morecowbellpictures.com/images/joel_315_george.jpg

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Mike

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-02-2007, 08:52 AM
THEME: DARKNESS

Poster

http://www.morecowbellpictures.com/downloads/Joel_315_poster.jpg

Ki-Ki
10-02-2007, 08:58 AM
Interesting banner, so why did you decide to work on this one full time in comparison to the other one you could have stuck to?

Good luck matey. =]

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-02-2007, 09:05 AM
Interesting banner, so why did you decide to work on this one full time in comparison to the other one you could have stuck to?

Good luck matey. =]
Honestly, the other one will take more time and I didn't want to rush it. Too many locations, actors, and SFX scenes.

Cheers,

Mike

Joops
10-02-2007, 10:03 AM
Good choice to switch it up then. Good luck with this one.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-02-2007, 11:10 AM
Thanks!

Poster added.

Mike

DarkMatter
10-02-2007, 01:13 PM
Nice poster! premise sounds interesting. All the best on finishing this one.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-02-2007, 01:44 PM
Thanks! This one will be finished.

Mike

Glideshot
10-02-2007, 03:47 PM
Good luck with this one Mike...the poster looks great!

tmnt
10-02-2007, 08:28 PM
Nice poster Mike. I'll be watching (not in a creepy way).

Maximus
10-02-2007, 08:45 PM
Looking good Mike! It's great to see such a wide variety of entries with the same theme. From your poster, I'm guessing a scifi/Biblical approach... ? Coincidentally, that's the same approach I'm taking. :) I look forward to seeing it!

Ki-Ki
10-03-2007, 03:36 PM
I love you're avatar. Whatever it is.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-09-2007, 07:47 AM
I love you're avatar. Whatever it is.
LOL! That's just me with my daughters toy flashlight in the closet. Shot with the HV20. Here's a closer look....

http://photos-b.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v73/154/32/545430750/n545430750_202685_2535.jpg

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-09-2007, 07:49 AM
I start shooting Friday night! Can't wait to get started.
I'll post some screen captures once I have some.

Cheers,

Mike

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-10-2007, 10:02 AM
Looks like I'm going to have access to a Brevis for this one. Anyone here want to chime in and let me know how to use it? :)

Seriously.... zero experience with this sort of thing. Do I run the focus with the camera, or the Brevis?

Luis Caffesse
10-10-2007, 10:07 AM
Your camera will be focused on the ground glass in the Brevis.

You will focus using the lens that you attach to the front of the Brevis.

Maximus
10-11-2007, 05:06 AM
Hi Mike,

Great news about the Brevis. There's an article on www.freshdv.com that might be of interest to you. Good luck with your shoot this weekend! I would offer to help, but I'm still struggling to learn FCP... haven't made a single cut yet. :( The clock is ticking, but, I haven't given up yet! lol.

Ciao.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-11-2007, 12:48 PM
I downloaded it this morning. Thanks for the tip....

Don't give up! I expect to see something from you in this Fest.

Cheers,

Mike

DarkMatter
10-13-2007, 05:10 PM
How is filming coming along?

Justin Kuhn
10-13-2007, 10:30 PM
That poster is neato.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-14-2007, 10:21 AM
Thanks!

I shot about 80% of it this weekend.

I'll post some screen captures in a day or so. I'm going to finish shooting it this week. Thanks for the interest.

Cheers,

Mike

DarkMatter
10-14-2007, 07:41 PM
Thanks, for the update.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-16-2007, 07:10 PM
Posted a few screen grabs... HERE (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.php?p=1062174&postcount=2).

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Mike

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-17-2007, 03:53 PM
Well, looks like I'll be shooting about 25% of the movie on the 24th. Should be interesting... :)

I'll be editing like mad!

Mike

Brandon Rice
10-17-2007, 04:05 PM
Grabs look pretty cool.

Maximus
10-17-2007, 05:31 PM
Nice grabs. Very moody, film noir look. Can't wait to see it!

Ki-Ki
10-17-2007, 06:58 PM
nice lighting, like the grabs.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-18-2007, 07:17 AM
Thanks! Any comments on how to improve them? I'm working on CC'ing them a bit more... playing with colour curves as well. Maybe I'll post a couple of comparison shots today and you guys can let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Mike

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-19-2007, 10:51 AM
Update: Added a cast photo to the first page (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.php?p=1062172&postcount=1).

Check it out...

Mike

Marlon Ladd
10-19-2007, 02:56 PM
Yep, screen grabs look pretty good. Keep it coming.

mentatDUKE
10-19-2007, 08:23 PM
More Cowbell is a cool name for a production company. :)
How's the CC coming?

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-20-2007, 07:22 AM
Thanks!

I'm terrible at CC work. If anyone wants a raw grab to play with let me know.
If I'm able to use the CC settings (using Premiere Pro) I'll give you a credit!

Cheers,

Mike

majormorgan
10-20-2007, 04:21 PM
I'll give it a shot if I may. Email the shot or shots to: morganfilms@hotmail.com

Is it an overall look your are looking for or key shots to establish certain looks?

Thanks
Richard,
The Major

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-20-2007, 10:17 PM
I'm looking for an overall look. I just sent you an email with a few raw grabs.
If I use your settings I'll give you a movie credit.

Thanks,

Mike

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-22-2007, 10:18 AM
Schedule change: Looks like I should wrap up shooting tonight!

That will give me a few extra days of editing time that I didn't think I would have.

Waiting for the CC samples to get back to me.
I'll post them when I get them.

Cheers,

Mike

DarkMatter
10-22-2007, 11:26 AM
Good luck on the shoot Mike! Looking forward to it.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-23-2007, 06:21 AM
Thanks.

Shot about 30 minutes of footage last night. Time to sift through it and remove what I need for editing. I think I have all I need at this point.

Cheers,

Mike

Marlon Ladd
10-23-2007, 07:00 AM
Glad you got it all done, Mike. Hope it comes together great.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-23-2007, 09:45 PM
Just a finished a fairly polished rough cut that comes in under 5 minutes, including about 15 seconds of credits. Just need to add some more polish and see if I can get this bad boy under 50MB.

Looking good so far. I can't wait until the Fest starts so that I can see everybody's work.

Cheers,

Mike

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-24-2007, 07:50 PM
I'm going to be using some of Justin R Durban's (http://www.edgen.com/) music for this one. The tracks I have fit this movie to a "T".

I just wanted to let everyone know, and to personally thank him for permission to use them.

Cheers,

Mike

Brandon Rice
10-24-2007, 08:07 PM
Awesome! His stuff rocks!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-25-2007, 06:43 AM
It really does.

I'll be uploading tonight!

Cheers,

Mike

deedive
10-25-2007, 11:35 AM
i third that!
Your idea is very interested. I have no idea what your going to do. this should be interesting.:)

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-25-2007, 01:06 PM
i third that!
Your idea is very interested. I have no idea what your going to do. this should be interesting.:)

I hope you like it. I just finished uploading it for Hallows Fest.

The synopsis is...

"A man awakens in the morning only to find that the world is in complete and total darkness"

The revelation from Joel 3:15 is as follows...

"For the stars of heaven and their brightness shall not display their light: The sun shall be darkened in his rising, and the moon shall not shine with her light"

Hope you enjoy it.

Cheers,

Mike

Brandon Rice
10-25-2007, 01:40 PM
Hey man, looking forward to your short!!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-25-2007, 01:46 PM
Thanks, Brandon. Same here.

Just a neat tidbit... I emailed Richard Carpenter (of The Carpenters) to see if he would let me use one of his songs for the movie. The cool thing is... he got back to me! At least his assistant did on his behalf.

The really cool part was that it didn't seem to be a generic email response.

No dice though, but they were nice enough about it. :)

Mike

Maximus
10-25-2007, 03:54 PM
Congratulations on getting your film done! Your premise sounds very intriguing. Can't wait to see it.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-26-2007, 12:26 PM
Thanks!

Kyser - JOEL 3:15 (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=111432) - Uploaded, Approved

Whew! I made it...

Cheers,

Mike

Jay Rodriguez
10-27-2007, 07:56 AM
"A man wakes up in the morning only to find that the world is now in total darkness." ok, this sounds like it's going to be different then all of the entries.

what did u shoot on?

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-27-2007, 01:01 PM
"A man wakes up in the morning only to find that the world is now in total darkness." ok, this sounds like it's going to be different then all of the entries.

what did u shoot on?Shot it on the Canon HV20. Thanks for the interest...

Mike

DarkMatter
10-27-2007, 06:00 PM
Thanks, Brandon. Same here.

Just a neat tidbit... I emailed Richard Carpenter (of The Carpenters) to see if he would let me use one of his songs for the movie. The cool thing is... he got back to me! At least his assistant did on his behalf.

The really cool part was that it didn't seem to be a generic email response.

No dice though, but they were nice enough about it. :)

Mike

Nice try anyway, you never know unless you ask. Some artists are actually really cool.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-28-2007, 10:09 AM
Yup.

I didn't really have time to fit it in anway... :)

BTW, I'm looking forward to seeing the SFX's in your movie! Mine doesn't really have any... well... maybe in one scene.

Cheers,

Mike

deedive
10-29-2007, 08:24 PM
good luck and i cant wait to see. to another spyfest war vet.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-30-2007, 07:30 AM
Thanks! I loved Check BTW.... looking forward to The Circle.

One thing of note... please use headphones or a good set of speakers when listening to Joel 3:15. You can't make out all the little sound effects on my cheap laptop speakers, but it sings when I use my Harman Kardon desktop speakers.

Cheers,

Mike

deedive
10-30-2007, 08:28 AM
One thing of note... please use headphones or a good set of speakers when listening to Joel 3:15. You can't make out all the little sound effects on my cheap laptop speakers, but it sings when I use my Harman Kardon desktop speakers.
Mike

will do

DarkMatter
10-30-2007, 07:55 PM
I second that, Headphones needed for mine too... Think it's about time!

Brandon Rice
10-31-2007, 12:36 AM
Aight Kyser! Allow me to be the first to review...

POSSIBLE SPOILERS FROM THIS POINT ON PEOPLE!!

Good work on this film! It looked really good... some of the sound needed some work... good cues from Justin on the score! The acting was really good... the story was also good... though I kind of guessed the ending...

Kind of a depressing film, but you did a good job! Most likely top 5 or 10 for me! :)

tmnt
10-31-2007, 05:09 AM
Hey Mike buddy, good job!

I really like it and must say I'm looking forward to seeing your next few dvxuser films because I like your directing now and you'll only get better and better. People should really note how much of a filmic quality you get from those nice slow dollies.

Did you have to go with the on cam mic for the 'pill exchange' scene?

The music was great by the way and added a lot of atmosphere.

Good luck with this one!

Ian

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-31-2007, 07:48 AM
Aight Kyser! Allow me to be the first to review...

POSSIBLE SPOILERS FROM THIS POINT ON PEOPLE!!

Good work on this film! It looked really good... some of the sound needed some work... good cues from Justin on the score! The acting was really good... the story was also good... though I kind of guessed the ending...

Kind of a depressing film, but you did a good job! Most likely top 5 or 10 for me! :)

Wow! Thanks.... :beer:

It was meant to be depressing, glad that worked. :)

What areas do you think the sound needs work? I'm always trying to improve on that so please get back to me and let me know.

Cheers,

Mike

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-31-2007, 07:52 AM
Hey Mike buddy, good job!

I really like it and must say I'm looking forward to seeing your next few dvxuser films because I like your directing now and you'll only get better and better. People should really note how much of a filmic quality you get from those nice slow dollies.

Did you have to go with the on cam mic for the 'pill exchange' scene?

The music was great by the way and added a lot of atmosphere.

Good luck with this one!

Ian

Thanks, Ian!

I love the dolly shots as well. I only had one in my last (and first) Fest, so I thought I would do a few in this one.

I had a proper Mic for the bathroom scene, there is a bit of a reverb going on but that was intentional.

The Music is great! Maybe one day I can actually get Justin to score an entry for me from scratch. :)

I have to say... doing everything on this one (save holding the mic) was quite tough at times. I'm just glad that I was able to get it finished.

Cheers,

Mike

tmnt
10-31-2007, 08:37 AM
Ah, I see. Maybe just a bit too much reverb there was making the mic sound cheap.

Again, stella job mate!

Dmitry Yun
10-31-2007, 08:59 AM
I liked the vibe of this one, it was the most original use of the theme in my view and everything was very well put together :) You really stepped up to the mic, Mike :)

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-31-2007, 10:32 AM
I liked the vibe of this one, it was the most original use of the theme in my view and everything was very well put together :) You really stepped up to the mic, Mike :)

Thanks, Dmitry!

I really appreciate that. I'll be posting a more detailed review of yours once I have a second look.

Cheers,

Mike

Dustin R. Rogan
10-31-2007, 10:38 AM
BEST IN SHOW!!!! I watched something on the History Channel last night called "The Last Book of Nostradamus" so I'm on the whole Armagedon thing. This fit right in!! Love everything about it. Job well done sir!

Dustin

(ps i'm associated with Retribution (http://www.dvxfest.com/allhallowsfest/loader.php?id=11264))

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-31-2007, 11:07 AM
BEST IN SHOW!!!! I watched something on the History Channel last night called "The Last Book of Nostradamus" so I'm on the whole Armagedon thing. This fit right in!! Love everything about it. Job well done sir!

Dustin

(ps i'm associated with Retribution (http://www.dvxfest.com/allhallowsfest/loader.php?id=11264))

WOW! You don't know how much that means to me.
Having had to do all of this by myself you have no idea how much I appreciate that.

Having to write the screenplay was tough, having to change locations at the LAST minute was difficult, and having to light, direct, mix the sound, and edit this together was challenging to say the least.

All that and hold a full time job and make time for my wife and daughter. :)

I know most of us are in this boat but I almost didn't have time to finish this.

Thank you so much for watching. Sounds like you got it.

Cheers,

Mike

Dustin R. Rogan
10-31-2007, 11:14 AM
I was thinking also when I went out to smoke after watching your flick, that most bible movies end up being crap (if thats filtered out then i meant not so good) But this might be very interesting to see where this would have gone if feature length. any thoughts of delving into it further or just for this fest?

Dustin

(ps i'm associated with Retribution) (http://www.dvxfest.com/allhallowsfest/loader.php?id=11264)

Luis Caffesse
10-31-2007, 11:50 AM
Nicely done - I like the structure and the devices you used alot... the radio announcer was a great touch, actually using him as a character and taking us to that location instead of just having the radio in the scene - nicely done.

I liked your lead actor as well - he's got a great look, and I thought he did a really good job.

I'm with Brandon in that I saw the ending coming... but I enjoyed it nonetheless....

********POSSIBLE SPOILER BELOW**********

My only issue, storywise, is that a few days seems too quick for people to start committing suicide... it wasn't unbelievable to me, but looking back perhaps I wouldn't have seen the ending coming as easily if I'd felt that more time had passed in the timeline of the story...if I'd seen their situation get worse, and finally she breaks down and tells her husband she doesn't want to freeze to death, etc ...

Just a thought.
But regardless of that nit picky thing - really good work.
I truly enjoyed it.
:thumbsup:

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-31-2007, 12:08 PM
MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW!!!!

********POSSIBLE SPOILER BELOW**********

My only issue, storywise, is that a few days seems too quick for people to start committing suicide... it wasn't unbelievable to me, but looking back perhaps I wouldn't have seen the ending coming as easily if I'd felt that more time had passed in the timeline of the story...if I'd seen their situation get worse, and finally she breaks down and tells her husband she doesn't want to freeze to death, etc ...

Just a thought.
But regardless of that nit picky thing - really good work.
I truly enjoyed it.
:thumbsup:

The main thing is... the darkness. Living in it for days and getting no sleep can do a lot to your psyche.

Maybe the darkness was God's way of testing ones faith, as the radio announcer alluded to.

It's really up to you to fill in those blanks. I don't like to hit people over the head with what they should come away with.

You watched it and you have obviously thought things over. For that I am extremely grateful!

Thanks for the in depth review.

Cheers,

Mike

Luis Caffesse
10-31-2007, 12:13 PM
MAJOR SPOILERS BELOW!!!!

The main thing is... the darkness. Living in it for days and getting no sleep can do a lot to your psyche.

I'm totally with you on that - and I really like where you're going, but maybe it was the limitation of only having 5 minutes to work with, but I just wasn't feeling those days passing... again, don't get me wrong, I REALLY enjoyed this ... but I do think it would be even better if it could be expanded on a bit...I'd like to have more of a feeling of that time passing... and to see more of the couple over those days, their relationship, see the thought patterns they go through....etc etc etc

I know, I know - 5 minutes.
:)
I guess that's good though - you did leave me wanting more.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-31-2007, 12:18 PM
I guess that's good though - you did leave me wanting more.

Great! Thanks again for getting into it...

I was thinking also when I went out to smoke after watching your flick, that most bible movies end up being crap (if thats filtered out then i meant not so good) But this might be very interesting to see where this would have gone if feature length. any thoughts of delving into it further or just for this fest?

Dustin

(ps i'm associated with Retribution) (http://www.dvxfest.com/allhallowsfest/loader.php?id=11264)
I actually put a lot more thought into this and could easily make it quite a bit longer. There will probably be a Directors Cut but nothing too drastic.

I like to learn as much as I can and move on.

Thanks again!

Mike

Billy Pilgrim
10-31-2007, 02:49 PM
I liked it. Reminded of the Twilight Zone, but without Rod Serling. This piece was very well-shot and constructed. Very interesting concept.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-31-2007, 06:03 PM
I liked it. Reminded of the Twilight Zone, but without Rod Serling. This piece was very well-shot and constructed. Very interesting concept.

Exactly the kind of feel I was going for.

Thanks so much for watching.

Cheers,

Mike

Barry_S
10-31-2007, 06:31 PM
Enjoyed this and I also agree with some of Luis's comments. I didn't quite get taken to the desperate state where they'd commit suicide. I loved the use of the radio announcer--that was an excellent device. I did wonder why he didn't talk to the neighbor at all in the beginning--that seemed odd. Also, I thought there should have been a little more action in the house and less brooding. Like trying to get an old generator working, trying to rig weapons or a jury-rigged heating system. I think that would have also lead more naturally to the frustration and desperation at the situation. The mocked up web pages were effective and added a nice touch.

jvi97
10-31-2007, 06:33 PM
enjoyed watching the film, the story line was great.....I'd blame damm globle warming for the lights going out lol.

Jeff

http://www.dvxfest.com/allhallowsfes...r.php?id=20480

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-31-2007, 06:44 PM
SPOILERS.....

Enjoyed this and I also agree with some of Luis's comments. I didn't quite get taken to the desperate state where they'd commit suicide. I loved the use of the radio announcer--that was an excellent device. I did wonder why he didn't talk to the neighbor at all in the beginning--that seemed odd. Also, I thought there should have been a little more action in the house and less brooding. Like trying to get an old generator working, trying to rig weapons or a jury-rigged heating system. I think that would have also lead more naturally to the frustration and desperation at the situation. The mocked up web pages were effective and added a nice touch.

Thanks for checking it out!

It's my opinion that we would be seeing mass suicides all over the place if this was to really happen. I had that in the web pages. People have killed themselves over far less.

I would have added more but I did the best that I could with the time that I had. I'm slowly learning to cram more in in less time.

I think the original encounter with the lack of Sun would be met with stunned silence and disbelief. At least that's how I felt. They would eventually chat but I would think that some people might react this way initially.

In the end, we would all approach a situation like this very differently. Some would give up, some would fight tooth and nail.

Thanks again for checking it out and taking the time to comment.
I really appreciate it.

Mike

Jon Starr
10-31-2007, 07:09 PM
Awesome stuff. The question would also be, how would the government react to a situation like this?

Would they try to keep people from killing themselves? Would they offer food? Would the government just disband and say "everyone for themselves?"

Would there be chaos on the streets? What, aside from going underground, would people try to do to keep alive? What would people do if the government disbanded? Would it eb the wild west?

Ahhh! So many questions!

Would be nice to do a feature on this subject...

Barry_S
10-31-2007, 07:29 PM
That was one nice point--basically implying that every world leader had escaped to their well-stocked hidey-holes, leaving their citizens to fend for themselves.

mentatDUKE
10-31-2007, 08:38 PM
Hi Kyser. Good job on your film. Especially with having to perform all of those duties yourself. I'm a fan of "end of the world" movies, so this was a treat. I realized that I was drawn into your story when I started zoning out while the radio announcer was talking. I thought to myself "what would I do if I had 6 days to live?"

They say a good film is like a pebble in the shoe, so I'd say your film did its job. :)

deedive
10-31-2007, 08:48 PM
i'm tryin not to read your thread. My hallows fest starts tomorrow. I can't wait to see this one.

DarkMatter
10-31-2007, 08:54 PM
I loved the scope you gave to the story, it felt like it was taking place on a large scale. Very Effective!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-31-2007, 09:15 PM
Awesome stuff. The question would also be, how would the government react to a situation like this?

Would they try to keep people from killing themselves? Would they offer food? Would the government just disband and say "everyone for themselves?"

Would there be chaos on the streets? What, aside from going underground, would people try to do to keep alive? What would people do if the government disbanded? Would it eb the wild west?

Ahhh! So many questions!

Would be nice to do a feature on this subject...
Thanks! I've thought about it... a feature that is. I'm not quite ready though.

That was one nice point--basically implying that every world leader had escaped to their well-stocked hidey-holes, leaving their citizens to fend for themselves.I thought that would leave the desolate feeling even more alone and helpless. Thanks again, Barry.

Hi Kyser. Good job on your film. Especially with having to perform all of those duties yourself. I'm a fan of "end of the world" movies, so this was a treat. I realized that I was drawn into your story when I started zoning out while the radio announcer was talking. I thought to myself "what would I do if I had 6 days to live?"

They say a good film is like a pebble in the shoe, so I'd say your film did its job. :)I love reading how people feel while watching my work. Thanks for that! Yah, it was tough there for a while... I really need a crew!
:dankk2:

i'm tryin not to read your thread. My hallows fest starts tomorrow. I can't wait to see this one.Then what are you doing here!?? Get the hell out! Just kidding! :) Looking forward to it!

I loved the scope you gave to the story, it felt like it was taking place on a large scale. Very Effective!Awesome! I was really hoping that the opening might help sell the premise without using special effects. I suck at SFX work.

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to watch and comment.

Great bunch of people on this forum.

Cheers,

Mike

strancali
10-31-2007, 11:40 PM
Very nice Kyser! You did the HV20 justice! I agree with Barry S about the seen where he didn't say anything to the neighbor. Loved everything else. Keep the films coming. Oh yea, you got my top 3.

Maximus
11-01-2007, 03:26 AM
I've only seen two films so far, Joel 3:15 and Cabin, and ironically I can't imagine two other films in the festival being more different. I will review Cabin more thoroughly in it's own thread, but to summarize my impression of each: one is style over substance, the other is substance over style. No insult intended, as both are very well made.

On to Joel 3:15 - you took the theme of darkness literally, and it worked! The film is very sombre, not a "fun" movie, and that is definetely dark.

You have seemingly done a lot with very little. Very slow and deliberate pace. No hysterics, at least with the people we meet. I found that to be a realistic depiction of their situation. I was on a plane once that was hit by lightning, it was very dramatic - flash of light, the plane dropped and bounced, and nobody screamed.

I found your approach to be very mature, well thought out. Your use of the radio announcer and internet was a very clever way of expanding the scope of a small arena. Your film feels small, but it works perfectly. Nicely shot (that HV20 takes some purdy pictures - all that for $900!). Music good. Sound good. Acting understated, subtle, believable...

Hey, I've only seen two so far, and I'm boldly predicting you'll be in my top three!

Great job! :thumbsup:

Marlon Ladd
11-01-2007, 07:56 AM
I agree about how it did appear that this was taking place on a large scale too. I really liked the look and style of it.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-01-2007, 10:41 AM
Very nice Kyser! You did the HV20 justice! I agree with Barry S about the seen where he didn't say anything to the neighbor. Loved everything else. Keep the films coming. Oh yea, you got my top 3. That's awesome! Thanks. The HV20 is a nice little camera, light on the manual controls but what can you do. It's cheap! :)

On to Joel 3:15 - you took the theme of darkness literally, and it worked! The film is very sombre, not a "fun" movie, and that is definetely dark.

You have seemingly done a lot with very little. Very slow and deliberate pace. No hysterics, at least with the people we meet. I found that to be a realistic depiction of their situation. I was on a plane once that was hit by lightning, it was very dramatic - flash of light, the plane dropped and bounced, and nobody screamed.

I found your approach to be very mature, well thought out. Your use of the radio announcer and internet was a very clever way of expanding the scope of a small arena. Your film feels small, but it works perfectly. Nicely shot (that HV20 takes some purdy pictures - all that for $900!). Music good. Sound good. Acting understated, subtle, believable...

Hey, I've only seen two so far, and I'm boldly predicting you'll be in my top three!

Great job! :thumbsup: LOL! Thanks, man. Thanks for the in depth review.

I agree about how it did appear that this was taking place on a large scale too. I really liked the look and style of it.I was hoping it would come across that way. It was tough to do without visual effects but I really wanted to keep it simple and concentrate on the story.

Thanks for watching!

Mike

Ian-T
11-01-2007, 11:32 AM
Man...it seems like you are getting better and better with every short. I loved the dolly like movements.....kept everything moving instead of staticky....very professional. The use of the radio announcer and the internet pages was nice. You made me think I was watchng one of those 5 minute shorts on HBO just before a feature presentation comes on...the HV20 is so crisp. Can't wait to see more of your work.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-01-2007, 02:57 PM
Man...it seems like you are getting better and better with every short. I loved the dolly like movements.....kept everything moving instead of staticky....very professional. The use of the radio announcer and the internet pages was nice. You made me think I was watchng one of those 5 minute shorts on HBO just before a feature presentation comes on...the HV20 is so crisp. Can't wait to see more of your work.Thanks, Ian. Quite the compliment!

Cheers,

Mike

deedive
11-01-2007, 04:59 PM
I watched it a couple time now. Definitely like it! It is shot well. 0:52 is a great frame. Like the hard, sharp and desaturated look. Love the slow pushes and pulls. great move. Acting was good. Would have like a wide shot at the end.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-01-2007, 07:33 PM
I watched it a couple time now. Definitely like it! It is shot well. 0:52 is a great frame. Like the hard, sharp and desaturated look. Love the slow pushes and pulls. great move. Acting was good. Would have like a wide shot at the end.
Thanks! I appreciate the fact that you took the time to watch it more than once!

I've thought a lot about re-editing that last shot. I might just do that.

Cheers,

Mike

Joops
11-01-2007, 08:01 PM
Nice work Mike. It looked great. I liked the story (message). Some of the announcer and web shots dragged a little for me. But I suspect your pace was intentionally calm. Good work.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-01-2007, 09:24 PM
Nice work Mike. It looked great. I liked the story (message). Some of the announcer and web shots dragged a little for me. But I suspect your pace was intentionally calm. Good work.
Thanks!

I had a lot of different angles shot (especially with the radio announcer) but I really wanted people to pay attention to the dialogue.

I just tried to use the more interesting shots. You also had quite a bit to read in the web shots, it's not just the headlines. Look closely. :)

Thanks again for the great comments.

Cheers,

Mike

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-01-2007, 09:59 PM
The last post gave me an idea... I'm not sure if everyone caught everything on the web page. Click the picture for a larger view.

Cheers,

Mike

Ben Sliker
11-02-2007, 10:03 AM
Kyser,

Very interesting little piece you have here. You did a fairly good job of encapsulating a large scale concept into a very small area.

I had a small issue with the CC in the beginning, seems like you have a nice even de-saturated look through the whole thing, but the beginning, from about :17-:27, your whites and colors seem to spike in a couple places. But that's my only technical gripe so good job squeezing out all that image out of the hv20.

I liked the sustained melancholy mood throughout the piece, instead of this panicked feel you could have easily picked up on, you instead chose to go the complete opposite route, which I respect! It's a nice way to ask the audience "what would you do?" without people running all over the place screaming and trying to survive.

Nice work!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-02-2007, 03:37 PM
Thanks, I'll take a look at that time-frame to see if the CC is off.

I'm glad that it drew you in enough to think of yourself in that scenario.

Thanks for watching!

Mike

wwsdmf
11-02-2007, 08:09 PM
i enjoyed your film. the script was good as was your camera, editing, music and lighting. good quality all around.

DarkMatter
11-03-2007, 12:24 AM
Ok, I just watched this again, and i think you captured what was going on in the heads of those present when War Of The Worlds first aired on the radio and people thought that the world was being taken over by aliens. So congratulations on making Steven Spielburg look like an amateur.
I was super impressed with this Mike, your shots were tight, the soundtrack was very fitting, and it was a nice step above Fear!

Matt Harris
11-03-2007, 03:52 PM
Hey Kyser, GREAT FILM. I have been planning some small apocalyptic films myself, and youre was truly inspiring. obviously its hard to portray a worldy event with limited budget, but you did a few things that were really smart: the radio feed, the shot of bush on the internet, the "evangelicals" line, smart stuff. Good score too. Oh and good title sequence and credits, very professional.

one idea that might have ramped up the suicide at the end, just a sound design thing: your moody score is cool, but maybe at the very end right as he's about to pull the trigger, you really bring in a building horrifying sound effect that gets louder and louder and BAM-gunshot. and then credits come in with the more mellow score.

obviously thats a nit-pick, you did a great job man.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-04-2007, 05:59 AM
i enjoyed your film. the script was good as was your camera, editing, music and lighting. good quality all around.Thanks!

Ok, I just watched this again, and i think you captured what was going on in the heads of those present when War Of The Worlds first aired on the radio and people thought that the world was being taken over by aliens. So congratulations on making Steven Spielburg look like an amateur.
I was super impressed with this Mike, your shots were tight, the soundtrack was very fitting, and it was a nice step above Fear!

Thanks! Yah, I enjoyed making FEAR but it's nice to see improvement from one short to the next. Thanks for the generous comments.

Hey Kyser, GREAT FILM. I have been planning some small apocalyptic films myself, and youre was truly inspiring. obviously its hard to portray a worldy event with limited budget, but you did a few things that were really smart: the radio feed, the shot of bush on the internet, the "evangelicals" line, smart stuff. Good score too. Oh and good title sequence and credits, very professional.

one idea that might have ramped up the suicide at the end, just a sound design thing: your moody score is cool, but maybe at the very end right as he's about to pull the trigger, you really bring in a building horrifying sound effect that gets louder and louder and BAM-gunshot. and then credits come in with the more mellow score.

obviously thats a nit-pick, you did a great job man.
Well, I couldn't get anyone to actually score my movie. (I usually don't give them enough of a "heads up" :) ) So I borrowed some very dark music that I felt best fit the "mood" and placed it within the time-line. Justin's music is excellent and seemed to fit pretty well. I agree though, a little more build up towards the end might have been nice.

Thanks for comments. It's tough to cram this kind of movie in less than 5 minutes so I appreciate the kind words.

Cheers,

Mike

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-04-2007, 12:24 PM
Navitas' Review* of JOEL 3:15

I like this type of movies! I’m in love in everything catastrophic so this one was a great pause from everything bloody :) I’d add some more news – maybe tv to create a little bigger “space”. Anyway it is one of my favorites! Of course great job on lightning camera and everything technical… *Removed major spoiler.

Thanks for taking the time!

Cheers,

Mike

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-05-2007, 06:14 AM
Just a quick note.... I flipped the final scene in post to make it look like the radio announcer was looking towards the doorway for the sake of continuity. I had it the other way originally and it just didn't seem to work. It's amazing what you can do in editing even if you don't have the exact shot that you need.

Also added the final effect with After Effects.

*Made a new Joel 3:15 banner as well, still working on it.

Cheers,

Mike

deedive
11-05-2007, 07:52 AM
my favorite shots in your banner.:)

cinealma
11-05-2007, 11:13 AM
REVIEW:
I liked this one a lot and there's a lot of potential for more with it. The atmosphere you created was erie and awe-inspiring. Great job! One of my favorites.

FILMAKER-TO-FILMMAKER:
Excellent job. Loved the tracking shot out of the front door.

I don't think I would have weaved in the credits as they took a little away from the body of the film. And I KNOW the goosebumps would have been more prominent had you made the sun coming out part of the film and not the end credits.

Ok, so, when are you going to make the feature? This is truly a no-budget, BIG film. Basically, what happens when a married couple is faced with the prospect of a slow, drawn out death. The house is the only REAL location you need. I like the radio broadcaster as the "voice" of the film.

Seriously, go out and make this film.

Ben Sliker
11-05-2007, 12:26 PM
*Made a new Joel 3:15 banner as well, still working on it.

Cheers,

Mike

sweet, the animated gif banners are catching on! what did you make yours in?

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-05-2007, 12:28 PM
REVIEW:
I liked this one a lot and there's a lot of potential for more with it. The atmosphere you created was erie and awe-inspiring. Great job! One of my favorites.

FILMAKER-TO-FILMMAKER:
Excellent job. Loved the tracking shot out of the front door.

I don't think I would have weaved in the credits as they took a little away from the body of the film. And I KNOW the goosebumps would have been more prominent had you made the sun coming out part of the film and not the end credits.

Ok, so, when are you going to make the feature? This is truly a no-budget, BIG film. Basically, what happens when a married couple is faced with the prospect of a slow, drawn out death. The house is the only REAL location you need. I like the radio broadcaster as the "voice" of the film.

Seriously, go out and make this film.

I really appreciate this coming from you. I love your entry and will be commenting further on it in a day or so.

You're not the first to say that I should pursue this one further. I may just do that... probably as more of a side project though. I really like to take what I've learned and move on to the next project. I also have very little time due to my work (and home) schedule. My daughter eats up a lot of my free time, but I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

I need to find a way to turn this hobby into a profession! That might work...

Thanks again,

Mike

cinealma
11-05-2007, 12:41 PM
I need to find a way to turn this hobby into a profession! That might work...

Don't we all. :thumbsup:

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-05-2007, 05:24 PM
Interesting... my animated banner has been around for less than a day and it gets removed by a mod. :(

deedive
11-05-2007, 05:40 PM
my favorite shots in your banner.:)
it was too powerful

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-05-2007, 06:15 PM
i was too powerful
LOL! I doubt that...

I guess they were getting sick of them. I just thought it was odd that mine was sniped first since there have been many others around here for quite some time. Some even months...
Mine lasted a few hours.

Looks like they are cleaning up the rest now.

sweet, the animated gif banners are catching on! what did you make yours in?
Not anymore! :)

I made mine in Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5
It was tough to get it down to a decent size actually. I need some sort of dedicated Gif software. What did you use?

BTW, I have no hard feelings towards the mods. It's a tough job.
Believe me, I know.

Cheers,

Mike

Ben Sliker
11-05-2007, 08:01 PM
I did mine in photoshop and imageready, neat little program really. it might have been that the resolution was too big on yours, no more than 569x70 i think, mine's like 500x70.

it is kind of a pain in the butt process tho, like a frame by frame animation. how big of a file size did yours end up being?

ack ... i was sniped, what's the use of being able to upload gifs then?

StefanHaynes
11-05-2007, 08:08 PM
The atmosphere delivered in droves. Dark, intelligent, icy cold feel, and the music echoed that flawlessly. Despite the fact it is hot in my room right now, your film made me feel decidedly frozen. You took me out of my present state and pushed me into a new one. I cannot think of higher praise.

However, I wasn't a huge fan of the plot. With such amazing trappings, I felt you could have created a much more interesting "main story" as opposed to the suicide-pact.

Per example: An examination of the lives of the people affected by the oncoming frozen earth by living out their uttermost desires. They'll all be dead soon anyway, right?
Grandmother's smash through department store windows. Reverends use drugs. Husbands and wives engage in S&M, etc...

You can keep the news report, and the ending, but now it's all (imo) much more effective. The twist could be "oh crap, what have we done?" and you could double twist it by making the various patrons who partook in immoral behavior actually happy to have "tasted" living that way...

I don't really know where I'm going with this. Just brainstorming, I guess.

Anyway, you cooled me down for the duration of your film, and for that, you are commended.

Good work.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-05-2007, 08:34 PM
The atmosphere delivered in droves. Dark, intelligent, icy cold feel, and the music echoed that flawlessly. Despite the fact it is hot in my room right now, your film made me feel decidedly frozen. You took me out of my present state and pushed me into a new one. I cannot think of higher praise.

However, I wasn't a huge fan of the plot. With such amazing trappings, I felt you could have created a much more interesting "main story" as opposed to the suicide-pact.

Per example: An examination of the lives of the people affected by the oncoming frozen earth by living out their uttermost desires. They'll all be dead soon anyway, right?
Grandmother's smash through department store windows. Reverends use drugs. Husbands and wives engage in S&M, etc...

You can keep the news report, and the ending, but now it's all (imo) much more effective. The twist could be "oh crap, what have we done?" and you could double twist it by making the various patrons who partook in immoral behavior actually happy to have "tasted" living that way...

I don't really know where I'm going with this. Just brainstorming, I guess.

Anyway, you cooled me down for the duration of your film, and for that, you are commended.

Good work.Thanks! I really do have a lot more in mind for this idea but when I wrote the script I kept it down to 6 pages on purpose, had to cut some out. There's a lot more on the back burner though. Not sure if I could fit in all your ideas and still explain what was going on in the rest of the world. Worth a shot though!

The atmosphere delivered in droves. Dark, intelligent, icy cold feel, and the music echoed that flawlessly. Despite the fact it is hot in my room right now, your film made me feel decidedly frozen. You took me out of my present state and pushed me into a new one. I cannot think of higher praise.:dankk2:

Chan Ee Jien
11-05-2007, 10:45 PM
Love it, although I'm bias to apocalyptic theme films. The CC sees a bit off to me, perhaps too much of a bleachy effect but thats just me.

Perhaps an apocalyptic fest is in order?

Mark Harris
11-06-2007, 06:43 AM
that was nice and ambitious for so short a film. You used the radio announcer well to indicate the rest of the world. I wasn't partial to the ending, but overall, this was quite effective. Will be eager to see what you do with the idea.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-06-2007, 07:41 AM
Love it, although I'm bias to apocalyptic theme films. The CC sees a bit off to me, perhaps too much of a bleachy effect but thats just me.

Perhaps an apocalyptic fest is in order?
Thanks! Glad you loved it. I tried to get some CC help on this one, but due to some email problems (on my end) it fell through and I didn't have the time. I really wanted to mute the colour though, that was intentional.

That was nice and ambitious for so short a film. You used the radio announcer well to indicate the rest of the world. I wasn't partial to the ending, but overall, this was quite effective. Will be eager to see what you do with the idea.The radio announcer really was key for me. When I was writing this a good friend said... "You will have to have the main character doing something, he can't just stare at the radio."

He was dead on, that's where the radio announcer idea came from.

I also really wanted to improve my storytelling with this one. So many people think that you can't tell a story in 5 minutes. I worked hard to do so and did it in under 5 minutes, added extra time to my credits as well. :)

I've had trouble with that in the past. I'm slowly learning as I go.

Thanks for watching!

Cheers,

Mike

Mark Harris
11-06-2007, 08:39 AM
Well I read that stuff about the 5 min story on here all the time, but in this case, you would have really benefited from more time to get into that couple's relationship.

I said I wasn't too happy with the ending, because it seemed like a fake "gotcha." but if that ending stays, I would want to see a lot more back and forth between the husband and wife before doing the deed, and give me some insight into why they end up with that decision, rather than the hope that things will get better.

Not a knock on your film, just saying if you had say 10-15-20 min, you could use it to add so much more depth to this story, which wants more depth, I think.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-06-2007, 08:50 AM
Well I read that stuff about the 5 min story on here all the time, but in this case, you would have really benefited from more time to get into that couple's relationship.

I said I wasn't too happy with the ending, because it seemed like a fake "gotcha." but if that ending stays, I would want to see a lot more back and forth between the husband and wife before doing the deed, and give me some insight into why they end up with that decision, rather than the hope that things will get better.

Not a knock on your film, just saying if you had say 10-15-20 min, you could use it to add so much more depth to this story, which wants more depth, I think.
Agreed, I think that can be said with just about any film though.

and give me some insight into why they end up with that decision, rather than the hope that things will get better.I think a lot of people listening to and reading the news that he was would probably come to the same decision. I predict mass suicides in an "End of the World" type predicament.

As someone else said, it's almost as if the radio announcer helped convince him of what he should do. I agree.

Quoting the radio announcer...
It's an odd feeling... knowing that you're about to die. So... that's my next question. How are you going to go out? Are you going to wait for the cold? Our lines are open...Thanks again for watching!

Mike

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-07-2007, 06:39 AM
Just curious about a few things that I put in my movie, were they noticed?

Did anyone notice the sound of the clock ticking during the conversation with the husband and wife? I added it to try and stress that her time was running out.

Or the dolly pull out of the living room to the dolly push into the studio? I was trying to show the viewer that we were leaving one area and entering a new one. Did them pretty much at the same angle as well to reflect that, just reversed the exit and entry.

Just wondering if some of the things I did, especially the audio... were picked up. Maybe I was too subtle?

There were a couple of other tie-ins but I won't spill the beans on all of them. :)

If you noticed any, let me know. It might help me on my next project.

Thanks,

Mike

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-08-2007, 12:12 PM
What's the ruling on showing new edits? I have a new cut of my movie that I think works a tad better. The sound is remixed a bit and I changed a shot or two. I think it works a little better, nothing drastic though.

Mike

andoguru
11-08-2007, 01:28 PM
Hey Kyser,

Sorry it took so long for my comments. I've been finishing up a music video I shot with the HV20 and Letus. You probably would enjoy it since you're an hv20 user. It's in my sig if you want to check it out on youtube. I'd be interested to hear what you think.

Now on to the review.

I like you story. It's a very good apocalyptic drama. You shot this well. I like a lot of the shots and you had a lot of production value with the dolly's and shot choices.

I know a lot of people have said that it would benefit from being longer and I agree that this was a pretty 'big' idea for the 5 minute limit, but I think you could show it in the 5 minute limit.

One thing is that because you have so much to tell you ended up using the Radio DJ to 'tell' everything and though this is an efficient method it's not as effective as showing it. The story in this is more about the relationship of the wife and husband and that is the part I found most interesting. I really only wanted to see them instead of the DJ. I would have liked to see them before the sun disappeared. To see how happy they were etc. I think you could actually start the short with the shot of the husband about to shoot the wife (very nice shot btw). This would be a powerful intro shot and immediate engage me. Then go to a time before that when they were happy. This way you can show the character arc and make them more well-rounded. It would be good to show that the wife's transition to wanting to die where as now it seems hard to believe that she would want to kill herself after just 3 days of no sunlight. I mean half the day is night and they have lights still. It seems like people would fight to live more...except maybe religious fanatics who think it's the end of the world because some higher power deemed it.

I didn't get the sense that it's morning with the first scene. It seems like it could just be night time. You could show some shots of the main char getting ready for work...the morning routine. And then the dolly shot of the other man in the background outside (also very nice shot) would be more effective if maybe the other guy was in a bathrobe with a newspaper to reinforce that it's supposed to be morning and light outside.

I can tell you had a message with this but that always runs the risk of being to heavy handed. This actually reminded me of a short I saw in film school were they used a 'shock' DJ as the lead and he was arguing with callers about race and inflammatory issues, but then in the story 9/11 happens. It sort of makes everyone equal as being human and americans. It was a good idea, but came across as too preachy. Your's plays this better but it's seems to harp on the idea that world leaders would just abandon everyone and 'those bastards are screwing us again' sort of statement. This is one of the places that I rather see the wife and husband instead. Their story is more intriguing then world news. I'm not saying to take all of it out, but I think it should serve the purpose of setting up the 'world' and situation this two characters are in rather then being so much of the film.

I like how the husband calls the DJ about killing his wife. That scene is interesting. The DJ actually can be more of a character too instead of him being more of just a narrator. You could have him being very hopeful about the fact that there has to be a scientific explaination of why the sun is gone and that we will figure it out. He could have religious fanatics calling him and yelling at him etc.

I don't see how the Joel 3:15 ties into this story. I almost think you don't need any of those references unless you want to convey that the sun disappearing is an act of god. You probably could take out all the title cards.

The scene where the sun comes out on the dj after the man kills himself seems like an after thought...like you didn't shoot that to start with and tried to fix it in post. I think a good shot would have been seeing the husband dead with the dead wife. Also I think the husband would have laid down with this wife, not be at her feet. He'd probably shoot himself so he would be lying right next to her.

Okay so please don't take all this as being harsh or anything. I really like you effort and the film is actually very good. I feel like from your other posts that you are very open and hungry for comments because you are wanting to get better at being a filmmaker. I know that I will always be learning how to improve making films because it is such an endlessly evolving medium.

You did a very good job shooting this and the actor's were also directed well. The story is there and good and that is to me the hardest part. You just need to find out where the meat of the story is and throw out everything else that doesn't advance that story.

I cut out a couple scenes of Meat that I felt were hilarious but they didn't advance the story at all. It was painful to cut them but it had to be done.

Your editing was pretty good overall but some of the ending was weird with the light coming in a couple times on the dj. I think I know what you were trying to do, but it was jarring.

The production value was good...sets, characters. Award for Most Hideous Wine Glass. :laugh:

I don't know how open this film still is to edits or shooting pickups or if you plan on moving on to the next project, but I think it could be pretty awesome with a little more work, not that it isn't very good in the state that it's in.

I hope that some of this helps. HV20! Unite!

Sincerely,
Ando

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-08-2007, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the review. I really do appreciate it.

The light coming through was no afterthought, purely intended from the start. Just ask those who read the script beforehand. :)

I also find it interesting how some don't think that people would start killing themselves after a few days. In other movies we see people committing suicide over much sillier reasons. As far as they know... this is the end of the world! I think there would be mass suicides across the globe. Especially considering the news that was coming over the airwaves.

As for the Joel 3:15 tie in... it's like the radio announcer says. The church states that it's a test of Faith.

The point of the movie is how people react to the situation. Everyone reacts differently... I don't think the way that this couple reacts to their situation is a stretch at all.

Those with Faith ultimately survive this test.

I bit off a lot for five minutes but I hope that I managed to tell a decent story.
Thanks again for the feedback! I intend to make a lot of notes when all is said and done and try to improve all around for the next one.

Cheers,

Mike

andoguru
11-08-2007, 02:07 PM
Hey Kyser,

I've always had a very negative look on suicide...like I would never do it and I think very little of people that have done it because it's just the easy way out. I think that people have an overpowering will to live and that they would fight longer then three days to stay alive. Yes, you can say that the world is ending so what's the point, but people in general know that they will die someday maybe the next day, but just knowing that doesn't mean they are going to kill themselves right now because..."we're going to die anyways." You know what I mean.

I would buy it more if we saw the woman's progression to giving up, but with her husband there that she obviously loved, why would she give up so easily? He is the biggest part of her world and she hasn't lost that yet. It doesn't convince me. Maybe if you played up the fact that the alternative would be a slow, agonizingly painful death...like she was starting to freeze or something and it was unbareable.

Your point of the film was to see how people react and to test their fate. I guess in the way it is now that is okay, but I guess I think it would be more interesting if it were with just the two people...like she wants to give up and he is trying to convince her to live and go on. Then after she dies then he gives up as well from the pain of not having her anymore and kills himself. I know this is what you did in a way, but I would have liked to see just that instead of the 'rest of the world.' I think this is where the bigger then 5 minutes comes into play where if it was just the 2 chars you could definitely fit it into 5 but trying to tell the story of the whole world makes it too much for 5 mins.

Just thought of this cool shot. After the guy shoots himself, you should have a shot of him dying as the sun starts to shine on his face so it's like with his last view before he dies he sees the sun...maybe even a ECU of his pupil dilating. Oh snap.

Laters,
Ando

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-08-2007, 02:25 PM
Well, I don't think anyone should have a positive outlook on suicide, but I get your point. :)
You probably can't relate and that's completely understandable.

As a side note...
Just look at what the Orson Welles "War of the Worlds" radio broadcast in 1938 did. And that broadcast lasted less than 2 hours. Now imagine that the sun has vanquished and the entire world is in a state of anarchy, world leaders have disappeared and scientists are claiming that there are just a handful of days left before the world freezes. Some people will take the easy way out.

You don't have to agree though and I'm really not trying to make you. Just trying to show you where I was coming from.

Hey Kyser,

Just thought of this cool shot. After the guy shoots himself, you should have a shot of him dying as the sun starts to shine on his face so it's like with his last view before he dies he sees the sun...maybe even a ECU of his pupil dilating. Oh snap.

Laters,
AndoThat's cool. I actually thought about something like that but how many times have we seen the dying person in a movie look at something just before they close their eyes? :cheesy:

Still cool when done properly though.

Thanks again for your impressions, I'll add them to my notes.

Cheers,

Mike

andoguru
11-08-2007, 03:05 PM
Hey Mike,

I understand where you are coming from and that's cool.

In 1938, though didn't they still believe milk spoiled because of gremlins? We are quite a bit more advanced now, especially in ways of thought. Maybe if this was a period peace back then I could understand...I mean I guess with all the movies coming out with about mass infection etc. that seems more effective in scaring people enough to kill themselves instead of the sun going dark...though as I type this that would be pretty nerve racking too.

Maybe I'm just talking because I like debating especially debating films.

Oh, I think in the shot on his eye, his eye wouldn't close it would stay open and just dilate as the sun hit it...kinda a little trick that it might be dilating because when people die I think their eyes dilate, but also dilating because of the bright sun.

Laters,
Ando

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-08-2007, 03:31 PM
Hey Mike,

I understand where you are coming from and that's cool.

In 1938, though didn't they still believe milk spoiled because of gremlins?
Laters,
AndoCool. But if CNN and the rest of the world is telling you that the sun is gone, days pass by, the world grows colder, and you look outside and the sun IS gone. That might be different. :thumbsup:

Maybe I'm just talking because I like debating especially debating films.
That's cool, so do I.

Thanks again for the review, we can carry this on via PM's if you wish.

Cheers,

Mike

Michele Seidman
11-09-2007, 09:24 AM
Kyser

I just watched your film. Wow...great ending. I loved the script...the shots were tight...the edit nice and the acting solid. I love how you never show the radio guy and how the light is just starting to peek at the credits. It had me waiting...waiting...wanting to see the light again. Well played. I totally enjoyed that.

There was only one minor thing that bothered me and it will sound trite, especially when I consider how good this was...BUT....if they were cold and everyone was going to freeze to death...why were your actors in light clothing and not bundled up? No clue why that bothered me...but I wanted to see the wife under the covers or wearing too many layers and still shivering. Maybe your main characters were not in the coldest area but with so many references to the cold..I really did expect them to have more layers as the scenes progressed. It is the only thing about the whole project that did not work for me.

Otherwise...this was a really well done short film and it could easily be expanded to a full length by letting us see all the chaos around the world.

PS...ever think of having the light flash full on about 1/3 in to the credits just to give us that light we are hoping for? not full on or for long...but just enough to give us what we start to wait for...then go black again for the credit roll to finish....

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-09-2007, 09:29 AM
Kyser

I just watched your film. Wow...great ending. I loved the script...the shots were tight...the edit nice and the acting solid. I love how you never show the radio guy and how the light is just starting to peek at the credits. It had me waiting...waiting...wanting to see the light again. Well played. I totally enjoyed that.

There was only one minor thing that bothered me and it will sound trite, especially when I consider how good this was...BUT....if they were cold and everyone was going to freeze to death...why were your actors in light clothing and not bundled up? No clue why that bothered me...but I wanted to see the wife under the covers or wearing too many layers and still shivering. Maybe your main characters were not in the coldest area but with so many references to the cold..I really did expect them to have more layers as the scenes progressed. It is the only thing about the whole project that did not work for me.

Otherwise...this was a really well done short film and it could easily be expanded to a full length by letting us see all the chaos around the world.

Some great comments! Thanks...

As for the cold... the radio announcer stated... it was more like fall like temperatures at the moment, but getting colder. The wife does have a blanket wrapped around her in front of the fire and the husband is wearing a fleece in the house.

I did a lot of research on this subject and the consensus is that it would take quite some time for the planet to reach critical temperatures. It was just the thought of freezing to death that drove them over the edge.

Kyser

Thanks so much!

Mike

Michele Seidman
11-09-2007, 09:38 AM
Hey Kyser,

I've always had a very negative look on suicide... but just knowing that doesn't mean they are going to kill themselves right now because..."we're going to die anyways." You know what I mean.

Laters,
Ando

Ando

I have to debate the point you are making. 'War of the Worlds' on radio caused at least one or two suicides even though more were reported and found to be false. That happened within minutes after broadcasting...not 3 days.

The crash of the Stock Market in the 1920's caused suicides just because life would not be the same. Those took place that day and for several afterwards and those people were not about to die. They were just considering that life would not be as they had always known it.

Kamikaze pilots were willing and loaded with Absinthe in order to do it without threat of their own imminent deaths...just threat to the ideal of their way of life. Suicide bombers abound world wide in all cultures and faiths...but you don't think 2 people freaked out by the darkness of possibly Biblical proportions could not even consider suicide?

Yes, the will to live is great and most fight against death with all their might but there are people who would kill themselves before suffering and if they are isolating themselves it would be easier for them to consider.

I am not debating if it is right or wrong, and I don't think suicide is a way out either...but it is a little naive to think there are not people out there who would do exactly what this couple would do.

History makes the point for me.

Michele Seidman
11-09-2007, 09:55 AM
I did a lot of research on this subject and the consensus is that it would take quite some time for the planet to reach critical temperatures. It was just the thought of freezing to death that drove them over the edge.

Mike

Got ya...maybe one more shot of the wife in panic would do it for me then...lol!

I really respect you did the homework on the weather and my sound issue might have missed the 'fall' reference. I really do need to do something about my sound here.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-09-2007, 10:50 PM
PS...ever think of having the light flash full on about 1/3 in to the credits just to give us that light we are hoping for? not full on or for long...but just enough to give us what we start to wait for...then go black again for the credit roll to finish....
The final shot was a tough one for me. I actually wanted to show even less and leave the audience guessing. I'm still not 100% on what it will look like in the Directors Cut. Still working on it...

Thanks again!

Mike

andoguru
11-10-2007, 01:09 AM
Hey Michele,

I do know that people are quick to act sometimes with the thought of a sudden life changing and scary incident that they don't understand happens, such in the case of the "War of the Worlds" original broadcast...I almost want to say that their was more then just a few suicides.

Stock Market crash, yes, people losing all their money and then killing themselves.

Kamikaze's for the honor and Suicide bombers for their faith or sometimes 40+ virgins in the afterlife which always confused me because having 40+ virgins would only be good for the lust of the flesh and do they have 'bodies' in the afterlife.

Anywho, my argument comes down to where I think the story was. Kyser has already told me that he wanted the film to focus more on the world and it's reaction to the sun going dark and that's fine except that I think trying to fit that into a 5 minutes is too difficult without having a lot of exposition dialogue or the use of a narrator.

I felt the more interesting story lay with the husband and wife and their actions. Not that suicide couldn't be the outcome for both of them but I would have liked to 'see' the motivation for them coming to that end. I think that the same message could be conveyed, but with more interesting a situation by focusing on the husband and wife.

I think it would be a great 'debate' between the husband and wife. Should they keep fighting to stay alive or just give up to avoid an agonizing death? The husband could be the char wanting to live and the wife wanting to give up and at the same time they both love each other so much so that makes it that much more painful that they are both wanting to take different paths. The reason why I didn't buy that the wife would commit suicide is because I didn't see her motivation for it. The radio DJ talked about the cold becoming unbareable but I only saw the wife in a normal bathrobe...not in a heavy coat and gloves slowly freezing to death. I think Mike was going this way and showed some shots of her by a fireplace but it wasn't sold to me that she was suffering...it more looked like she was just a little chilly in the house.

I do agree people kill themselves for smaller things then the sun going dark, but I think if I had seen more of a buildup for this women wanting to kill herself because she is suffering so much and she wants to live because she loves her husband, but it is just too painful then I would feel so much for that character. That character and the struggle with her husband would be high drama and filled with such emotion. But as it is I think of her as a flat one dimensional character not worth keeping alive anyways.

This all comes down to me wanting to see the couple mainly and Kyser wanting his film to focus on a broader group and that's fine, but I think it's more poignant seeing it in a real personal situation with the couple. I can relate more to that then I can relate to the whole world.

I love debate. I like Kyser's film and this is only shows how good a story his film was or could be because all my thoughts are coming from what I saw in his film.

OH SNAP! Sorry I say this a lot, but I thought of this while writing this....WHAT IF the main character when he is sitting there with his dead wife and is ABOUT to blow his brains out...wait for it...SEES THE SUN COME OUT!!! WOW...now he breaks down knowing that he just killed his wife and that if she could have just held out for a little longer they would be alive and saved! BUT with the emotional weight too much for him to bare he turns the gun on himself again and blows his brains out with the sun shining!!! OH SNAP!!! Now that would so sweet. I get chills just thinking about it.

Laters,
Ando

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-10-2007, 07:10 AM
Hey Michele,

OH SNAP! Sorry I say this a lot, but I thought of this while writing this....WHAT IF the main character when he is sitting there with his dead wife and is ABOUT to blow his brains out...wait for it...SEES THE SUN COME OUT!!! WOW...now he breaks down knowing that he just killed his wife and that if she could have just held out for a little longer they would be alive and saved! BUT with the emotional weight too much for him to bare he turns the gun on himself again and blows his brains out with the sun shining!!! OH SNAP!!! Now that would so sweet. I get chills just thinking about it.

Laters,
AndoAll of these were possible endings and I actually discussed them with others, but far too predictable for my taste. I chose to do a much different film. The viewer is left with nothing really, just a bleak tale of two people who gave up on life without really knowing the final outcome. Much like life sometimes... less like Hollywood. The lack of Faith actually hits home better this way as well. There is more to this if you look a little deeper.

This in a sense was a test from God. The Sun goes out, Scientists are baffled, the world slips into chaos and the Faithless chose an easy way out. The bigger question is... what is the world like after the sun comes back? That would make for an interesting conclusion.

I felt the more interesting story lay with the husband and wife and their actions. Not that suicide couldn't be the outcome for both of them but I would have liked to 'see' the motivation for them coming to that end.
This is where we really disagree, what more motivation does one need? The world is ending. Nuff said.

We would have obviously made two really different movies based on the subject. And that's why I love this medium! :)

I am not debating if it is right or wrong, and I don't think suicide is a way out either...but it is a little naive to think there are not people out there who would do exactly what this couple would do.

History makes the point for me.Couldn't agree more. :thumbup:

I want to thank you both for taking the time to think about the film and the message. That alone tells me that I'm on the right track.

I also want to thank everyone who mentioned that I managed to portray a large scale movie in a <5 minute short. It wasn't easy. Obviously I couldn't fit in everyone's view, but I think I managed something with this couple... in this house.

This really was just their point of view, mostly his tale. The outside world described by the narrator/radio announcer.

I also want to thank those that took the time to send me a PM as well.

Cheers,

Mike

Michele Seidman
11-10-2007, 10:21 AM
Hey Michele,

I felt the more interesting story lay with the husband and wife and their actions. Not that suicide couldn't be the outcome for both of them but I would have liked to 'see' the motivation for them coming to that end. I think that the same message could be conveyed, but with more interesting a situation by focusing on the husband and wife.

I think it would be a great 'debate' between the husband and wife.

The radio DJ talked about the cold becoming unbareable but I only saw the wife in a normal bathrobe...not in a heavy coat and gloves slowly freezing to death. I think Mike was going this way and showed some shots of her by a fireplace but it wasn't sold to me that she was suffering...it more looked like she was just a little chilly in the house.

But as it is I think of her as a flat one dimensional character not worth keeping alive anyways.

Laters,
Ando

I see where you are coming from. I too wanted to see some other moment or indication from the wife of fear or concern. I think the husband is fine and we get enough from him...I think a few extra shots of the women showing major fear in a subtle way would make it work without going to the debate you speak of. I do see why a debate between the husband and wife could solve it but I think that depth would have no choice but to be saved if he ever turns it full length.

I also questioned the cold but his research said it would not be that cold yet and I understand that. However...it is a movie and he could make the choice to suspend reality and make it colder faster simply by adding 2, 3 second shots of them in warmer clothing or even a simple shot of the husband trying to keep the wife calm as she cries or freaks out.

I would have liked a stronger indication of why they made the choice even if I could understand the choice in theory.

As for the ending...change it to him shooting her and then seeing the sun before he kills himself...lol no dag nab it. That storyline has been done to death as the main story, as the under lying story, as the back story of a character.

I like it better that neither of them makes it to see the sun. I would like to feel more sympathy for the wife than I do. I feel all of it for the husband and the surprises me but she seems so wimpy...not the actress...the character.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-10-2007, 10:39 AM
As for the ending...change it to him shooting her and then seeing the sun before he kills himself...lol no dag nab it. That storyline has been done to death as the main story, as the under lying story, as the back story of a character.
I Agree completely!

I like it better that neither of them makes it to see the sun. I would like to feel more sympathy for the wife than I do. I feel all of it for the husband and the surprises me but she seems so wimpy...not the actress...the character.

Perfect. Her performance was intended that way. If I had more time I would have developed that further.

Glad you liked the ending!

Cheers,

Mike

andoguru
11-10-2007, 10:47 AM
Hey Michele,

I know that story has been done before but as in most cases, most stories have been done before and most movies we watch, even the best ones, are rehashes of the same story.

I just like the idea that the wife killed herself because of fear and something out of her control and then the husband would killed himself because of something he chose to do and could have stopped and it seems like his suicide would have some real worth/honor to it that I think viewers would relate to that more. I mean think about if you killed someone you loved and then found out soon after that you didn't have to. Most people would probably turn the gun on themselves.

I find that story, though most people would see it coming, still intriguing because I could relate to it. Also, I think that it would help to drive home the idea of having faith or at least the will to survive because taking the 'easy' way out in this case ended up being terrible.

Alas, these are two different short films we are talking about now. Maybe I'll ask you (Mike) if I can use your story as a base for another short. :thumbsup:

Laters,
Ando

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-10-2007, 11:02 AM
I find that story, though most people would see it coming, still intriguing because I could relate to it. Also, I think that it would help to drive home the idea of having faith or at least the will to survive because taking the 'easy' way out in this case ended up being terrible.

Alas, these are two different short films we are talking about now. Maybe I'll ask you (Mike) if I can use your story as a base for another short. :thumbsup:

Laters,
Ando

I bolded the "I" because that's the point. Believe it not... many people can relate to the story the way it is. :thumbsup:

As for using my story... not yet. I may flush this out into a deeper short and enter it into a few festivals. Or possibly even a feature some day.

Glad you liked it enough to try your own spin on it.

Cheers,

Mike

Michele Seidman
11-10-2007, 11:12 AM
I Agree completely!

Perfect. Her performance was intended that way. If I had more time I would have developed that further.

Glad you liked the ending!

Cheers,

Mike

Then she nailed it and so did you!

Hey Michele,

I know that story has been done before but as in most cases, most stories have been done before and most movies we watch, even the best ones, are rehashes of the same story.

Laters,
Ando

Very true....what is the old idea there is man vs nature, man vs man, man vs etc etc...so we have a handful of stories and we add twists. I guess I meant to say the twist you described felt over done for me....and that is why I liked the ending as it was.

Dag nab it I just want a big splash of light at the credit...just a second of it before it goes to black to run the scroll....

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-10-2007, 11:15 AM
Then she nailed it and so did you!

Very true....what is the old idea there is man vs nature, man vs man, man vs etc etc...so we have a handful of stories and we add twists. I guess I meant to say the twist you described felt over done for me....and that is why I liked the ending as it was.

Dag nab it I just want a big splash of light at the credit...just a second of it before it goes to black to run the scroll....

Thanks! As for the light... I like just a taste myself. :laugh:

Mike

Michele Seidman
11-10-2007, 11:55 AM
Thanks! As for the light... I like just a taste myself. :laugh:

Mike

lol...don't change a thing for me...but you can't blame a girl for trying...tee hee:2vrolijk_08:

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-10-2007, 04:48 PM
lol...don't change a thing for me...but you can't blame a girl for trying...tee hee:2vrolijk_08:LOL! I've done worse... :)

I just want to thank everyone for all the discussion in this thread.

Good luck to all the filmmakers!
I can't wait for the next Fest...

Cheers,

Mike

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-11-2007, 06:12 PM
For those who may be interested...

Here's the new edit. Slightly better resolution, a few new edits and changes...
Has some H.264 compression artifacts though. Maybe I need to get a Mac. :)

JOEL 3:15 Director's Cut (http://www.morecowbellpictures.com/movies/joel_315_smaller.mov)

Mike

Jack Daniel Stanley
11-12-2007, 02:44 AM
Downloading ... will watch miņana.

Wanted to say congrats on the special selection. Would not have been surprised if you placed in the top 3 though.

Sorry I didn't comment during the fest, this is one of those films which warrents a deeper look and more in depth commentary, which unfortunately means I haven't gotten around to doing so yet ... but yeah, nice work here. Particularly appreciated the way you used camera movement (i.e. dolly) to help tell the story and set mood.

:beer:

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-12-2007, 09:09 AM
Thanks, Jack! :thumbsup:

Dmitry Yun
11-12-2007, 02:33 PM
Hehe, voted you my top three, you're still in my favorites :)

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-12-2007, 03:48 PM
Hehe, voted you my top three, you're still in my favorites :)Awesome! Thanks for that.... :thumbsup:

Hope you enjoyed the Director's Cut.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-22-2007, 12:21 PM
Fixed the Director's Cut.

It exported as 24 FPS in error. Came out jerky...

Now fixed.

Mike

Marlon Ladd
11-22-2007, 07:15 PM
I'll check it out too, Mike.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-22-2007, 07:44 PM
Thanks! Hope you like it...

Mike

Marlon Ladd
11-23-2007, 02:12 PM
I thought I'd already wrote something after I watched The Director's cut, but I don't see it, so I guess not. Anyway, still a good film and seemed to address some of the issues people were discussing in the thread. You still kept it under 5 minutes and accomplished what you set out to do, so good job, man. It's a keeper.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-24-2007, 01:42 PM
I appreciate the time you took to check it out again and comment.
Love the new banner btw...

Cheers,

Mike

Marlon Ladd
11-26-2007, 12:18 PM
Thanks, Mike. Getting better and better @ Photoshop.

Jack Daniel Stanley
11-27-2007, 02:30 AM
Hey I enjoyed the new cut. I haven't had a chance to compare the old and new side by side, but I didn't notice a major change. Is this a general tightening and polish or is there something specific I should look for? I liked the first version and this version, though.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-27-2007, 06:24 AM
Hey I enjoyed the new cut. I haven't had a chance to compare the old and new side by side, but I didn't notice a major change. Is this a general tightening and polish or is there something specific I should look for? I liked the first version and this version, though.

Well, I fixed the blurred opening shot a tad. It is of course a blurred shot of the ending where he blows his brains out. Not sure if everyone caught that.

I flipped a few shots in post. That way the guy listening to the radio is always on the left hand side of the screen, the radio announcer is always on the right. As if they are talking to just each other.

I flipped the wide shot in the bathroom to keep them in sync with the close-ups. Keeping them on the correct side.

I also added a voice over about the riots, took out the individual wine glass shot and trimmed the opening scene outside just a bit. Trimmed the ending a bit as well, no more extra flashes of light.

Some things that were already there.... the exit and entry dolly shots were done on purpose. Leaving one area (the house), to enter another (the radio studio). The ticking clock during the bathroom conversation, as if time was running out. The radio announcer mentioning "How are you going to go out?" Then the flashback with his wife... etc.

Thanks for watching! I really appreciate the feedback.

Mike

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-27-2007, 06:33 AM
Thanks, Mike. Getting better and better @ Photoshop.Very nice indeed!

majormorgan
11-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Mike,

I enjoyed the film. Sorry I never got back to you. I thought it was a great piece.

Lets see another entry.

Thanks
Richard
The Major

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-29-2007, 01:02 PM
Thanks for coming back to have a look!
Glad you liked it.

I'm working on something different for LoveFest. Hopefully I can pull it off.

Cheers,

Mike

Ted Arabian
01-24-2008, 01:36 PM
Mike, Great job!

You have my comments in a PM.

Great work... looking forward to more from you!

-Ted

Michael Anthony Horrigan
01-26-2008, 07:32 PM
Thanks so much, Ted.

Cheers,

Mike