PDA

View Full Version : Loveliest of All

lauralouface
09-30-2007, 04:48 PM
I am new to dvxuser and wanted to give this a shot (pun intended?):

My title is "Loveliest of All", and it will be shot with the hvx 200. Our story includes a bit of fantasy, and features Jayne Paulus as the leading lady.

(See Jayne in this entry for a contest last spring: http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=10774459 )

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/lauralouface/loveliest.jpg

Justin Kuhn
09-30-2007, 06:01 PM
Sort of "Snow White: The E! True Hollywood Story"?

I'm watching.

DarkMatter
09-30-2007, 06:03 PM
Very cool, sounds like a dark fairy tale. You definitley peaked my interest, Good luck!

Glideshot
10-01-2007, 07:05 AM
Good Luck and Welcome to the Fest!

Joops
10-01-2007, 07:15 AM
Love the poster. Good luck to you.

tmnt
10-01-2007, 07:23 AM
Looks cool. Good luck.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-01-2007, 10:25 AM
Like the poster!

Good luck...

Mike

Ladyhazle
10-04-2007, 02:27 PM
You're gonna make my set look pretty... tee hee... :thumbsup:

Ladyhazle
10-13-2007, 07:58 PM
I'm sooo happy the shoot went well for you today!!! 5 pages in one day, you ROCK sister Lou! :2vrolijk_08:

Justin Kuhn
10-14-2007, 11:51 AM
I'm really curious as to how this is gonna turn out. Fantasy is a rough genre to succeed in film-wise...though I've been wanting to do something in that direction for a while, since I like fantasy novels.

Ladyhazle
10-15-2007, 10:57 AM
Any chance of showing folks some behind-the-scenes or screen grabs soon?

lauralouface
10-18-2007, 01:34 PM
I too am cutting it short with the deadline - hopefully will have my sound guy start on the audio tomorrow - that includes music - so I am just now getting stills posted! Just a couple, would hate to give anything away!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/lauralouface/drink-potion.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/lauralouface/ivory-faints.jpg

mentatDUKE
10-19-2007, 07:39 PM
Nice. This looks different than what anyone else is doing. It's a period piece right? Good luck.

lauralouface
10-20-2007, 11:13 AM
Thanks! =) And yes it is a period piece, which made costuming difficult...

lauralouface
10-25-2007, 04:13 PM
I revamped my poster...

I am extremely nervous for so many strangers who don't have a biased opinion to see my movie! Good luck to everyone who reads this and is participating...

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/lauralouface/Loveliest-of-All.jpg

Ladyhazle
10-25-2007, 06:08 PM
I really like this new poster, but I think the original is still my favorite. I can't wait to see how this turned out! :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

Brandon Rice
10-25-2007, 06:13 PM
your poster is really cool!

Justin Kuhn
10-25-2007, 10:19 PM
Word. Can we get a couple more grabs? Pleeeease?

lauralouface
10-25-2007, 10:37 PM
Shoooooor =)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/lauralouface/last-kiss.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a320/lauralouface/outraged-queen.jpg

Justin Kuhn
10-25-2007, 10:42 PM
Excellent! Looking forward to this.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-26-2007, 05:13 AM
The new grabs look awesome!!

Can I ask you something, how big was your export from Pro before you shrunk it down. Or did you shrink it after exporting it with QT Pro?

I replied to your PM but forgot to ask.

Thanks,

Mike

lauralouface
10-27-2007, 10:08 AM
Happy day after the deadline! Exciting...

Ladyhazle
10-29-2007, 11:55 PM
We really should use Jayne in every project from now on. She is GORGEOUS!!!

lauralouface
10-29-2007, 11:57 PM
Yes, she is - pretty easy to direct, too. Her and Jeff would do well together, I think!

Ladyhazle
10-30-2007, 12:04 AM
Ohhh, good idea! We need to get the Himester back over here. I wish the last one I had him in was a better flick though:furious3:.

Marlon Ladd
10-30-2007, 05:24 PM
Your grabs are looking really cool. Nice lighting.

Chan Ee Jien
10-31-2007, 09:08 AM
I really liked the concept but I think this story deserved to be bigger then micro fiction (is that the correct term?).It felt to tightly squeezed.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-31-2007, 09:14 AM
Loved the twist in this one.

The overall look, costume, and set design was excellent!

Well done,

Mike

lauralouface
10-31-2007, 09:29 PM
Thank you - for the compliments AND the honesty. Although it is hard to take creative criticism - like it or not - it makes us better at what we do (if we're the right kind of people). Any feedback I get, good or not so good, will only serve to fuel me for the next project. And that is a very positive thing!

bosindy
10-31-2007, 11:16 PM
Spoiler

I liked the zombie take on the fairytale although a bit out of left field. The Queen was very good and I liked the stuff with her. The male actors were a little stiff which was a bit distracting. Overall I liked it. Good job.

mentatDUKE
11-01-2007, 07:55 PM
This one is a lot different from the others. Not too many people would decide to make a dark fairytale. I like the vampire twist. The actress was beautiful.

Good job.

lauralouface
11-03-2007, 12:05 AM
Yes, she was the perfect candidate for the lead role =) Thanks!

Justin Kuhn
11-03-2007, 12:23 AM
Nice twist at the end, completely atypical of a fairy tale. "And then they all lived (or not) unhappily ever after." Visually, I liked the scenes at the mirror the most--also, nice timing and shot selection on the ax ambush. The exteriors kind of threw me though because the highlights were really a bit too hot--could have used an ND filter to get those skin tones looking right. That aside, good work. Looking forward to what you do for next fest!

Marlon Ladd
11-03-2007, 08:46 AM
I thought you had some really good shots in here. It really took me back to "Snow White," for a second, and then all hell broke loose. LOL. Keep up the good work.

J.R. Hudson
11-03-2007, 10:28 AM
I was bored beyond beliefe in this one. Not into it; turned it off half way through.

lauralouface
11-03-2007, 12:27 PM
Ha - can't win em all ;-)

Ladyhazle
11-03-2007, 12:30 PM
J.R.,

To help out a newbie, would you mind elaborating on your critique? In a PM to Lauralou maybe? Thanks!

A.L.

Brandon Rice
11-03-2007, 05:51 PM
This was an interesting take on a classic story. I also was surprised this was the only vampire short in the festival. That being said, the costumes, and sets looked authentic... good work there. The acting was pretty weak I felt, and the sound wasn't too good. It also seemed like the film was washed out throughout. Maybe a compression issue? Anyways, good effort, keep shooting! Is this your first short?

lauralouface
11-03-2007, 06:04 PM
Thanks for the feedback :) My first short on dvxuser, yes. Not my first short ever, though. The washed out look was definetely due to the compression, my original is way more vibrant. I don't have access to any fancy compression software, unfortunately. I'm really suprised to hear about the sound, however...on all the systems I've tested it on, even the compressed version, it has sounded really good.

Maximus
11-03-2007, 06:08 PM
Good effort.

Be careful of crossing the line though, it is distracting. At 9 sec. you cut from the princess to the huntsman, both looking screen left. He shoulda been lookin screen right if they are looking at each other. Also, I would suggest moving the camera more. A locked off camera is not very dynamic. There are lots of plans online for cheap diy rigs such as steadicams, cranes, dollies... Instant production value. Worth a look.

Interesting you chose a fairy tale. In some ways I think of mine as a modern version of Hansel and Gretel. A crazy old hermit who murders children then eats them. A great bedtime story for little kids. :grin:

BTW Fairy Tales would be a great theme for a future dvxfest. Public domain. They could be set in the past, present or future, in any genre.

Look forward to your next film.

J.R. Hudson
11-03-2007, 06:33 PM
J.R.,

To help out a newbie, would you mind elaborating on your critique? In a PM to Lauralou maybe? Thanks!

A.L.

No PM's needed. I'll gladly elaborate if asked. In this case; I posted the wrong comment on the wrong film :huh: :( :evil:

Oops

I need to delete and add to another short,

-

That being said

I kind of appreciate the fairy tale setting but the rudiement camera work left me out of this. It did not have a style one might expect but instead was the hand-held video look; doesn't anyone care about traditional visual storytelling techniques ?

The spin was nice; not expected but also seemed to convenient in the end, I was not bored with this one, but was not amused nor excited. Just kind of there.

George_Bailey
11-05-2007, 08:38 AM
This was an ambitious project. I love filmmakers who push themselves and it appears you did this here.

The sets were well very done (the first interior castle scene springs to mind) as were the costumes.

The actors had a great look to them (except maybe the woodsman who struck me as a little too "now" in his look), but I admit that when they opened their mouths, it kind of lost me. I don't know if it was the delivery, the dialogue or the sound, but it just took me right out of the piece.

Again, this was a great looking short and I look forward to your next one. Thanks for making it.

cinealma
11-06-2007, 02:45 PM
REVIEW:
Kudos to doing something different. I think a fairy tale works nicely for this "dark" fest. I liked the story idea as an adaptation of Snow White. There were some nice things you did in the adaptation and making it even darker than it already is. Some people have said something about a "vampire" but I didn't take it as that, just as a now wild-creature that goes for the jugular when it kills. Costumes looked great. Atmosphere was nice. Good job.

FILMMAKER-TO-FILMMAKER:
Again, I liked the fairy tale angle. The acting wasn't too bad, but I agree with some that the male actors seemed a bit too modern. Maybe it was their hair or ??? You mention that it had more color to the palette, but with compression, well, I know how that can be. I'm sure it looks quite nice in the rich colors.

Story-wise... just a few quick small things. Fairy tales are very specific in certain things. One quirk is that when the guys tells her to stay in the hut, that's perfect. But she needs to "disobey" and go out of the hut to get mauled instead of the "monster" breaking in.

You probably needed a little more breathing room than the five minutes allowed. Anyway, good job, I hope to see more stuff from you.

PS - I hope I'm not a babbling. A little tired this afternoon. :undecided

andoguru
11-07-2007, 10:17 PM
Hey lauralouface,

This is an interesting take on a classic fairy tale. I like re-vamps (no pun intended...well maybe a little) on old tales.

I thought the women's clothes and looks were good, but the men felt out of place in the time and looked more like they were wearing costumes. It's difficult to do a period piece for a short and good wardrobe make or break people buying the time period.

I thought your shot selection was decent. The axe shot was cool. Watch out for the 180 rule...the third shot of the movie the Hunter telling Snow white to "Go now." He is looking to the wrong side of the screen breaking the 180 rule and it's distracting.

The sets looked pretty good. For the outside shots, you probably could take them down a little because they all seemed too bright though the composition of the shots was good.

I thought the pacing was pretty good. It didn't really waste any time anywhere. One thing you could have done in the middle was show more of a passage of time after the guy finds Snow white in the woods. You did it at the start of the story knowing that most everyone that watches this will know the Snow White story so you can leave out some details in the middle but have some passage of time shots in the middle would help to make it feel smoother.

Good job overall.

Laters,
Ando

lauralouface
11-07-2007, 11:17 PM
Thanks to everyone who had an input or opinion on my film - we had fun making our movie and hope everyone else was lucky enough to have had the same good times :)