PDA

View Full Version : The VIETNAM CONFLICT - Weston

Weston
09-26-2007, 08:48 PM
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc238/weston_ford/thevietnamconflict.jpg
'War brings out the worst'

Some shots: http://www.shuative.com/vietnam/test_shots.mov

UPDATE: 10/24/07
I have decided to withdraw this film from the fest.

Written & Directed by
Weston Ford

Starring
Chris Goodrich
Jordan Lucal
Christine Stovall
George Bayer
Dakota Miller
Paul Priddy
Jake Rhine

Weston
09-26-2007, 08:48 PM
Days of filming so far

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc238/weston_ford/GabeShot.jpg

September 29th: Travelling scenes, night shots

October 4th: Fight with the Viet Cong

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc238/weston_ford/btsrain1.jpg

October 7th: The Rains
A monsoon hits. Last night we filmed a scene where they wait out the rain with what shelter they can find.

October 8th: Various Sunrise
This morning I and George Boyer went out and got as many sunrise shots as we could while the sun was right.

October 10th:
Today I finished building a miniature that will be featured in one scene. I can't say what it is yet.

October 11-15:
I've been editing what we have so far. We need to shoot about 9 more scenes and that should be all thats needed. Its going to be close to the deadline.

Weston
09-26-2007, 08:50 PM
Grabs

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc238/weston_ford/sunnysunrise.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc238/weston_ford/rainrain.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc238/weston_ford/sunnysun.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc238/weston_ford/firstday.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc238/weston_ford/mistymountain.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc238/weston_ford/tommy.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc238/weston_ford/smode.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc238/weston_ford/newhighgrass.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc238/weston_ford/charlie.jpg

Jason Ramsey
09-26-2007, 08:51 PM
Welcome to the fest, man. I like period and war pieces when they can be pulled off on low budget stuff.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Later,
Jason

Brandon Rice
09-26-2007, 09:39 PM
mm.. sweet man! Can't wait!

Glideshot
09-26-2007, 09:46 PM
This sounds cool, I'm excited to see what you make of this!

Good Luck!

tmnt
09-27-2007, 02:59 AM
Hell yeah! Good luck with this, you got my interest.

DarkMatter
09-27-2007, 06:50 AM
Good luck. Keep us posted!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
09-27-2007, 06:53 AM
Can't wait to check this one out...

Good luck!

DarkMatter
09-27-2007, 12:59 PM
Some of the most horrific stuff that ever happened is war related, I expect this will be no different. How far are you into production?

Weston
09-27-2007, 01:08 PM
Thanks everyone for the interest! I'll be putting up some updates tommorow and later this weekend...

Movie Stunts...

We havnt shot anything yet. I've been doing some work building miniatures and getting uniforms and weapons together. We'll be shooting all of this weekend and a little bit next week.

Glideshot
09-27-2007, 02:37 PM
I've been doing some work building miniatures and getting uniforms and weapons together.

Sounds like you're going the extra mile to get the right look. Keep it going, can't wait to see the outcome!

Weston
09-29-2007, 01:00 PM
Sounds like you're going the extra mile to get the right look. Keep it going, can't wait to see the outcome!

I'm trying to! Hopefully it turns out half as good as I'd like it to.

I've got some raw screengrabs up from this morning on the first page.

Check them out and tell me what you think.

Brandon Rice
09-29-2007, 01:11 PM
The first and third grabs look REALLY cool!

tmnt
09-29-2007, 01:47 PM
Looking good, I just hope you have enough room to CC.

tony240sx
09-29-2007, 03:21 PM
Looks sick, cant wait to see it all done. War on a budget is always tough so I hope you pull it off.

Weston
09-29-2007, 06:21 PM
Hey thanks everyone! I'm glad you think they look cool.

Looking good, I just hope you have enough room to CC.

Yeah I know what you mean. I got a little to excited about putting the master pedestal waaaaay down this morning...cause I just watched those opening scenes from the Godfather. I think it will end up working...but I'm going to start being more careful.

Shooting went well today. One of our actors who was supposed to be there couldnt make it so we shot in-between stuff and travelling scenes. Thats why you'll see the same actor is in most of the shots. Overall it went good. I'm looking forward to filming some more interesting action stuff....which should happen early next week.

But anyway...there are some new CC'd grabs on the first page. I'm going for a variety of looks...kind of a grindhouse style. Hopefully it will mesh well enough. Let me know what you think.

Brandon Rice
09-29-2007, 06:26 PM
Yeah, I don't recommend shooting with the Master Ped way low... it just gives you no room to move around. The color graded grabs look pretty good though :)

DimmuJed
09-29-2007, 09:20 PM
The movie poster looks like an army man figurine, but it is indeed a person! wow. Me likey.

tmnt
09-30-2007, 01:33 AM
Dude, sweet! Those grabs are looking nice and gritty.

smashedburrito
09-30-2007, 08:37 AM
Man those grabs look awesome. I can't wait to see this one!

DimmuJed
09-30-2007, 04:14 PM
How does red wine fit into vietnam?

Joops
10-02-2007, 10:08 AM
GREAT looking shots! Can't wait to see it in motion.

Weston
10-02-2007, 01:08 PM
How does red wine fit into vietnam?

It doesnt! Keep your eyes peeled for a random glass in the background or a 1 second shot with one in plain sight. Wine has nothing to do with the story.

Anyway...thanks for the comments everyone...I think this is turning out pretty well. I'm going to put up some bts stuff tommorow.

Brandon Rice
10-02-2007, 01:32 PM
hehe yeah, I had to get REALLY creative to fit a wine glass in mine as well :)

djsmackmackey
10-02-2007, 03:24 PM
this is looking friggin' sweet

DarkMatter
10-02-2007, 03:46 PM
Very nice screenshots, I can imagine it taking place in Vietnam! very cool, keep it up!

Maximus
10-02-2007, 09:20 PM
'Nam!? Groovy, man. I really dig that 60's vibe. The screen grabs are far out...

I think your poster really captures the era - looks like faded 8mm celluloid. Might be an interesting cc choice if you were going for a cinema verite look.

Ambitious subject matter. Look forward to seeing it!

Weston
10-04-2007, 12:20 PM
Hey thanks for the compliments everyone! I updated the first page with a couple new screengrabs. Kind of more of the same...as we still havnt gotten to the action yet.

Next week I should have some more interesting stuff up.

Let me know what you think!

DimmuJed
10-04-2007, 01:24 PM
I MUST HAVE ONE OF THOSE HATS! That way I can finally look like Raiden and or Kung Lao from Mortal Kombat!

tmnt
10-05-2007, 09:21 PM
Looks like this one has a lot of atmosphere, good job weston.

Brandon Rice
10-05-2007, 10:44 PM
Looks really good man.

flamecrow
10-08-2007, 02:36 AM
war piece, i simply cannot wait to see how this turns out! GOOD LUCK, everything looks GREAT

Sid Barnhoorn
10-09-2007, 01:23 PM
Hi Weston,

This looks very good! Good luck with your production!

Cheers,

Weston
10-16-2007, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the comments! I'm glad your looking forward to it.

I've updated the first page with some new stills and I've changed some of the old ones. I also added a bit to the bts post.

There will be better stuff soon...I promise.

Brandon Rice
10-16-2007, 04:05 PM
Wow, some of those wide shots look great!

Weston
10-16-2007, 04:07 PM
Thanks Brandon! The light conditions were pretty awesome that morning. We lucked into it.

Brandon Rice
10-16-2007, 04:55 PM
Gotta love those times!

Like the intro for Smuggler's... same kinda deal.

DimmuJed
10-16-2007, 06:48 PM
what happen? did all your picture drop us the bomb?

NVM the pictures are back, someone said they liked the first and third and i think the order changed, might want to edit your post lol.

Weston
10-16-2007, 07:01 PM
Gotta love those times!

Like the intro for Smuggler's... same kinda deal.

Yes...I watched the first five minutes of SR awhile back....and thought the opening running scene looked great. I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of it.

edit:

My pictures dont seem to be showing up. I guess the site I uploaded them to must have crashed. I'll try to get them back up soon.

edit:

Ok...I re-uploaded all my pictures to a different site....so if anyone checked my page and was confused....they should be back now.

cinealma
10-16-2007, 09:27 PM
The average age of the Vietnam soldier was nineteen... ni- ni- ni- nine- nineteen... nineteen.

Grabs look cool. Has kind of a 70's low contrast look to it.

Marlon Ladd
10-17-2007, 09:14 AM
Pics look really cool. Can't wait to check it out. I wanna' see how you pulled it off. Good luck!

Mark Johnson
10-17-2007, 10:44 AM
Words cannot do justice to how excited I am after seeing your frames. Every now and then images rise to the level of poetic and many of these do. I was sweating out a low draft number in 1971 and actually got called for my physical before Nixon chopped another sixty numbers off the predicted lottery call. I've often wondered what it would have been like to get shipped off to 'Nam. The guy across the hall from me in the dorm also had a low number and he decided to enlist and go in through the ROTC program. Seven years later I was finishing law school and ran into him on campus. He was a Freshman starting all over again and was bitter, angry and completely pissed off at losing that time. He also would have been spared the lottery had he waited it out, so it was particularly ironic.

Anyway, what are you doing for a sound track? Although its been done and would probably be trite, not to mention illegal, I wish you could put some of those great late-sixties early 70's tunes in the soundtrack. Sigh.

DimmuJed
10-17-2007, 04:08 PM
Am I crazy or is Mr. Goodrich's hat purple?

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-17-2007, 04:30 PM
Grabs

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc238/weston_ford/sunnysunrise.jpg

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc238/weston_ford/sunnysun.jpg

Love these two shots!

Cheers,

Mike

Jay Rodriguez
10-17-2007, 05:03 PM
this is my 1st time in this thread and DAMN BOY! Stills look incredible! I'm looking forward to this movie!

MikeGunter
10-17-2007, 05:59 PM
Hi,

The cans in those days were pop tops, likely not even possible to find these days... I doubt that continuity will suffer much, few will notice.

Most of us wore soft bonnie hats, but that's not a criticism - just an observation - the steel pot was just too heavy to wear day in / out and hardly worth it. I would suggest the that the helmets are cammied up though, no shinny things, or noisy things. Again, few will really notice these things.

As someone mentioned, the average age was nineteen. I was 20.

Weston
10-18-2007, 12:04 AM
Wow...thank you everyone for the great comments! I hope I can make something that will measure up to your anticipation..

Mark...
Thanks for sharing your experience on coming so close to going to Vietnam. Not to get political....but I wonder if I'll be facing a similar situation in the coming years. It kind of seems that I might. For the music I'm going with a sort of synthy score. Kind of Apocalypse now.

Mike...
Yeah....some of the things....well most....are not exactly period. I would like to be more accurate but I dont have the resources. Thank you for your insight though...and more importantly for your service. I'm 20 now...and its hard for me to imagine being in Vietnam.

Jason Ramsey
10-18-2007, 12:13 AM
Lookin' good man... Like the grabs so far. Keep it up. I'm looking forward to checking this one out.

Late,r
Jason

MikeGunter
10-18-2007, 08:31 AM
Hi Weston,

Continuity won't really suffer. The helmets were too noisy in jungle environment. It was just a different time, a crazy, different time.

It doesn't take any brain power to know any war sucks.

Some suck more than others. For the US and Vietnam, the Vietnam war was one of those.

mentatDUKE
10-19-2007, 08:45 PM
Gorgeous grabs. Did you guys wake up at 5 in the morning for those? Or are these dusk? Looking forward to it.

deedive
10-22-2007, 05:19 PM
i cant believe i havent posted earlier, your grabs look AMAZING! cant wwait to see it.

Brandon Rice
10-22-2007, 05:25 PM
How's post coming?

Edgen
10-22-2007, 06:19 PM
Hey man.. llooking forward to seeing this film! Diggin' locations, costumes, and the grabs so far. Curious to see where the wine glass fits in :)

/j

Weston
10-24-2007, 07:13 PM
Thanks all for the comments.

However...i've got bad news. Due to scheduling conflicts over the past two weeks, actors not showing up, and just plain running out of time...I am not going to be entering this film. I'm quite upset about it...and I'm sorry to disappoint all of you who were looking forward to it.

We shot scenes on at least 8 different days...but we still have things that need to be shot that are essential to the story. I guess I tried for too much on this one.

I could enter a rough version.... but after making the mistake of doing that in the last horrorfest and coming in 40th place....I don't think i want to do that again.

Once again...thank you for all the interest and enthusiasm. If I ever get it finished I will post it for you.

Glideshot
10-24-2007, 07:16 PM
Well that sucks! I really hope you're able to pull this thing together and make what you want of it.

I totally agree with you on not compromising your work just to "get it in".

Make the film you set out to make, we'll all be around...ready to watch it!

Weston
10-24-2007, 07:26 PM
Thanks Glideshot.

I still have pretty high hopes for the movie. I'll definately keep you posted.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-24-2007, 07:45 PM
Keep us all posted! I would suggest starting a new thread in the user films forum.

Still, I'm kind of bummed. I was really looking forward to this one.
The stills look fantastic.

I know what you mean though, you don't want to rush it.

Cheers,

Mike

Brandon Rice
10-24-2007, 08:06 PM
ugh man, I was really looking forward to this film!

MikeGunter
10-24-2007, 10:41 PM
Weston,

Tough going.

Better luck next time.

Mark Johnson
10-24-2007, 11:11 PM
Hey, man, I'm sure you learned a ton (every time you shoot its like film school in my opinion). How about putting up some lo-res vid clips from your shoots? Since you aren't entering the rules don't apply to you. I'd just love to see some of those grabs in motion.

Brandon Rice
10-24-2007, 11:21 PM
Yeah! Good call Mark! Would love to see some as well man!

Weston
10-25-2007, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone. I was feeling pretty crappy about this earlier but the supportive remarks have helped.

Hey, man, I'm sure you learned a ton (every time you shoot its like film school in my opinion). How about putting up some lo-res vid clips from your shoots? Since you aren't entering the rules don't apply to you. I'd just love to see some of those grabs in motion.

I did learn alot. I like that no matter what your shooting...you are learning something along the way.

I think I will put up a video of some clips.... hopefully a couple days from now.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-25-2007, 06:41 AM
I think I will put up a video of some clips.... hopefully a couple days from now.Awesome! Looking forward to it...

Mike

Jay Rodriguez
10-27-2007, 07:43 AM
duuuuuuuuude I was REALLY looking forward to seeing this one.... get some clips up if you can and also keep moving forward with the movie. The fest only spurred the idea....

traviscool
10-29-2007, 11:15 PM
I was looking foreword to this one, you should show us when it's done.

Brandon Rice
11-07-2007, 12:01 PM
Downloading, can't wait to see!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-07-2007, 12:03 PM
Very cool! You have some really nice footage mixed in there. I really hope you end up doing something with this.
Be sure to keep us up to date.

Cheers,

Mike

faultygoblin
03-13-2008, 08:58 AM
I'm having a hard time getting the .mov file to play on the Uni computers.
(instead of studying for the two tests I have today)

Anyway I'm very impressed by what I saw of this, if you can get it finished do so regardless of the festival.

Do you happen to have any grabs or production stills of your mini, was it a hanging foreground piece, composted, etc?
I'm always curious to see Miniature work done with the DVX,