PDA

View Full Version : Best NFL Players OF ALL TIME...

CallaghanFilms
09-20-2007, 03:01 PM
Here's the Callaghan List...

Best Quarterback
Joe Montana (49ers)

Best Running Back
Walter Payton (Bears)

Best Wide Receiver
Jerry Rice (49ers)

Best Tight End
Dave "Ghost" Casper (Raiders)

Best Offensive Lineman
Mike Webster (Steelers)

Best Defensive Lineman
"Mean" Joe Greene (Steelers)

Best Linebacker
Lawrence Taylor (Giants)

Best Defensive Back
Dick "Night Train" Lane (Cardinals)

Go Ahead...Back-up Quarterback
Johnny Unitas (Colts)

and finally...
Best NFL Team OF ALL TIME
1978 Pittsburgh Steelers

Charli
09-20-2007, 04:32 PM
Ha! I don't think so:

Best Quarterback: Roger Staubach

Best Running Back: Tony Dorsett (remember that 99 yard run)

Best Defensive Line: Too Tall Jones, Harvey Martin, Randy White - Doomsday Defense

Best Defensive Backs: Charlie Waters, Cliff Harris, Everson Walls

Okay, okay, so I was once a Cowboys fan.

Tom Marshall
09-20-2007, 04:43 PM
Best Running back - Larry Csonka

Maybe not, but all I know is the 1972 Dolphins had a perfect season, which doesn't happen too often... :beer:

CallaghanFilms
09-20-2007, 05:53 PM
I figured we would have some fun hashing over the various QB & RB picks...

BUT

I doubt we'll see much division over the best receiver spot (Rice)...methinks that is one of the few sports debates that (almost) everyone will be in agreement on (best basketball player is prob second)

g0ldenb0y55
09-20-2007, 05:54 PM
QB - Payton Manning - Colts

RB - Barry Sanders - Lions

Linebacker - Shawn Marriman - Chargers

Safety - Ronni Lott - 49ers

Blaine
09-20-2007, 06:05 PM
Best Linebacker: Dick Butkus

CallaghanFilms
09-20-2007, 06:13 PM

I struggled with that one a helluva lot more than any other position, Blaine...

Butkus-no,Taylor-no,Butkus-no... went on for a while - but in the end I had to go with LT

ExtremeSleuth
09-20-2007, 06:25 PM
Best Quarterback: Tim Couch

J.R. Hudson
09-20-2007, 06:38 PM
Only answered what I could; have to think about the others !

Best Quarterback
John Elway

Best Running Back
Walter Payton

Best Wide Receiver
Michael Irvin

Best Tight End
Shannon Sharpe (He redefined the position)

Best Linebacker
Dick Butkus

Joe Montana

and finally...
85 Bears

and best SAFETY

Steve Atwater !

brianluce
09-20-2007, 07:19 PM
I figured we would have some fun hashing over the various QB & RB picks...

BUT

I doubt we'll see much division over the best receiver spot (Rice)...methinks that is one of the few sports debates that (almost) everyone will be in agreement on (best basketball player is prob second)

I'm a huge niner fan. But I don't think JR was the best receiver ever. He had the advantage of playing with Montana and Young. Most gifted I've seen? Randy Moss.

Best QB? Montana

Best RB? Barry Sanders

Attn football fans: check out Noel Divine of W. Virginia. Amazing runner!

J.R. Hudson
09-20-2007, 07:23 PM
I respect RICE 100 %, but his unwillingness to ever take a hit has always bothred me. He lays down instead of taking the hit. Thats why I said Irvin, Irvin would punish the safetys

CallaghanFilms
09-20-2007, 07:28 PM
I stand corrected...I had him pinned at a shoe-in

Tom Marshall
09-20-2007, 08:19 PM
By best team, do you mean best team for a single season? That would have to go to the '72 Dolphins.

Oh, and best coach ever... Maybe Shula?

Yeah, I'm originally from Miami. :thumbsup:

MattinSTL
09-20-2007, 08:24 PM
Was somebody else listening to Howard Stern today? They had a guy on there who recorded all the OJ crap... this will all come out on news shows this week... and the guy kept making the point about how good OJ was as a football player... his exact words were "one of the best football players of all time"... as of course Howard wouldn't let go of the obvious other issues (thank you Howard)... but ironic to see this thread none the less.

AloysiusK
09-20-2007, 08:46 PM
Speaking of punishing the defense. I grew up in Chicago and was lucky enough to witness Walter Payton. Even at the tail end of his career he was lowering his shoulder and staying in bounds just so he could throw an extra hit into some linebacker. Sweetness was the best. Gale Sayers wasn't too bad either. My parents' first date was in '65, and they went to the Bears game when Sayers scored 6 touchdowns. His car ran out of gas on their way home...

ifownlee41nite@mac.com
09-20-2007, 08:52 PM
QB=1ST PICK=MONTANA
2ND PICK=PATON MANNING

RB=1ST PICK=WALTER PAYTON
2ND PICK=BARRY SANDERS

And for the record
3RD PICK=BO JACKSON (If he would have stayed healthy I saw him breaking dam near every record put up)

WR=1ST PICK JERRY RICE
2ND PICK=STARWORTH

LB=RAY LEWIS

Safety=RONNIE LOT

BEST NFL TEAM OF ALL TIME HAS TO BE THE 70'S Stealers.

QB=CAPABLE TERRY
RUNNING BACK=FRANCO "THE BEAST " HARRIS
WR= SWAN & STARWORTH
DEFENSE= before the Ravens there was "THE STEEL CURTAIN"

I have never seen a team with such good offense and defense year after year.

The Steelers Cowboy Super Bowl was my first real football experience.

My second has to be the Montana years 49ers.

ugafan
09-20-2007, 08:54 PM
Thats why I said Irvin, Irvin would punish the safetys

yeah, now they call that offensive pass interference. irvin illegally pushed off more than any other wide receiver in the history of the game, but the officials rarely called it back then.

as far as best players go, i would put barry sanders at running back and deion sanders at cornerback.

David Jimerson
09-20-2007, 09:23 PM
I was as much a Niners fan as anyone, but I have to say -- I love Joe, but Rice jumping 15 feet in the air to catch what would otherwise have been an overthrow didn't hurt Joe's stats any.

I propose this -- Montana/Rice as the greatest QB/receiver combo ever. They had a single mind in two bodies.

J.R. Hudson
09-20-2007, 09:29 PM
He didn't push anymore than he was being pushed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMCG7u3y78I

Dude was the man. He went after the D and not away from it

David Jimerson
09-20-2007, 09:29 PM
85 Bears

John . . .

John?

John!

You CANNOT be serious!

http://www.fuzzysignal.com/tennis/fashion/john-mcenroe.jpg

CallaghanFilms
09-20-2007, 10:20 PM
Remember this?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kMUTzFnPOeg

And here's one for you, Hudson...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5g8cwPZ6Q0A&mode=related&search=

CallaghanFilms
09-20-2007, 11:04 PM
...BEST NFL TEAM OF ALL TIME HAS TO BE THE 70'S Stealers...

:beer::thumbsup:http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6548/1190351049.jpg:thumbsup::beer:

Slinkii
09-20-2007, 11:07 PM
why are people posting shit about football here, really??

Kevin Lee
09-20-2007, 11:25 PM
The best Running Back shall soon be the freshman at Cal. Jahvid Best!! Was hit up by Notre Dame, and USC. He's 17 and breaking speed records in track across the country. My son played against him for the past 4 years, and I got some footage of him.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WCMxABt0s4U&mode=related&search=

Jason Ramsey
09-20-2007, 11:38 PM
What's the problem, Slinki?

Jason

kimko
09-21-2007, 12:21 AM
i agree! now FOR THE GREATEST WHO WERE ON LOSING TEAMS;;;; O.J.SIMPSON, GALE SAYERS, JIM BROWN:love4:(my childhood heroe) DICK BUTKUS, FRAN TARKENTEN(man i loved to watch him scramble, (thunder thighs)CAMBLE(oilers?)aweshiti'mdrunk

kimko
09-21-2007, 12:23 AM
:beer::thumbsup:http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/6548/1190351049.jpg:thumbsup::beer:
LAMBERT oh i loved to watch him hit!

kimko
09-21-2007, 12:27 AM
Ha! I don't think so:

Best Quarterback: Roger Staubach

Best Running Back: Tony Dorsett (remember that 99 yard run)

Best Defensive Line: Too Tall Jones, Harvey Martin, Randy White - Doomsday Defense

Best Defensive Backs: Charlie Waters, Cliff Harris, Everson Walls

Okay, okay, so I was once a Cowboys fan. ok Charli i hate you now! i hated the cowboys when i was a kid and i hate them now! they use beat the Clevend Browns (Jim Brown) and (Coach Paul Brown) all the time in the playoffs!:furious3:

kimko
09-21-2007, 12:28 AM
oh man i can't even speel,,, say goodnight kimko!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kimko
09-21-2007, 12:30 AM
By best team, do you mean best team for a single season? That would have to go to the '72 Dolphins.

Oh, and best coach ever... Maybe Shula?

Yeah, I'm originally from Miami. :thumbsup:yeah thats the ticket!:thumbup::beer:

ifownlee41nite@mac.com
09-21-2007, 12:34 AM
I respect RICE 100 %, but his unwillingness to ever take a hit has always bothred me. He lays down instead of taking the hit. Thats why I said Irvin, Irvin would punish the safetys

Maybe he didn't, but when your capable of catching 40 yrd bangers like pop passes who cares.

In the end the rings say it all. And lets not forget about the loyalty he had for that 49ers team. Then when Steve Young came along he continued to make the Bay proud.

kimko
09-21-2007, 12:42 AM
Maybe he didn't, but when your capable of catching 40 yrd bangers like pop passes who cares.

In the end the rings say it all. And lets not forget about the loyalty he had for that 49ers team. Then when Steve Young came along he continued to make the Bay proud. the bay proud? yeah they liked his butt!..............................

:evil: hahahaha j/k...............Rice was the best

Tom Marshall
09-21-2007, 12:50 AM
I propose this -- Montana/Rice as the greatest QB/receiver combo ever. They had a single mind in two bodies.

I'll second that. He's a great WR and great with the Raiders, but much better with the 49ers and Joe tossing him the pigskin.

brianluce
09-21-2007, 01:14 AM
The best Running Back shall soon be the freshman at Cal. Jahvid Best!! Was hit up by Notre Dame, and USC. He's 17 and breaking speed records in track across the country. My son played against him for the past 4 years, and I got some footage of him.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WCMxABt0s4U&mode=related&search=

I think he might be glad he didn't go to Notre Dame.

Evan S
09-21-2007, 01:58 AM
O.J. Simpson. Purely for the fact that he was brought to jail about 20 feet from where I work.

ddp
09-21-2007, 02:22 AM
Best Running back - Larry Csonka

Maybe not, but all I know is the 1972 Dolphins had a perfect season, which doesn't happen too often... :beer:

Oh yeah- Mercury Morris, Paul Warfield, Jim Kick, Bob Griese, Garo Yopremian, Jake Scott and the rest......

Hard to argue with perfection. You can blame the WFL for raping the early 70's 'fins..... I'm still pissed about that.......:cry:

DDP

Weston
09-21-2007, 03:05 AM
Best Quarterback: Tim Couch

Why do people in our state even root for...or hope for the browns. I've concluded its more of a supernatural issue....they are cursed.

But anyway.....

Quarterback: Montana (though i think payton manning will take it in time)

Running Back: Gale Sayers

Reciever: Jerry Rice

Linebacker: Butkis

CallaghanFilms
09-21-2007, 06:20 AM
LAMBERT oh i loved to watch him hit!

I know...
http://www.hhweb.com/autophoto/lambert.jpg
He was one intimidating motherpoo pooer.:Drogar-Shock(DBG):

kimko
09-22-2007, 12:36 AM
man he reminds me of Nick Nolte the picture when he got arrested

kimko
09-22-2007, 12:41 AM
Oh yeah- Mercury Morris, Paul Warfield, Jim Kick, Bob Griese, Garo Yopremian, Jake Scott and the rest......

Hard to argue with perfection. You can blame the WFL for raping the early 70's 'fins..... I'm still pissed about that.......:cry:

DDP nick bonaconte:nads:

ddp
09-22-2007, 01:02 AM
nick bonaconte:nads:
And a 38 year old back up quarterback Earl Morrall stepping in for the last 9 games..... what a team

http://www.1972perfectseason.com/images/1972wherearetheynow.jpg

1 Yepremian, Garo 57 Kolen, Mike
11 Del Gaizo, James 58 Jenkins, Alfred
12 Griese, Bob 59 Swift, Doug
13 Scott, Jake 62 Langer, Jim
15 Morrall, Earl 65 Moore, Maulty
20 Seiple, Larry 66 Little, Larry
21 Kiick, Jim 67 Kuechenberg, Bob
22 Morris, Mercury 70 Riley, Jim
25 Foley, Tim 72 Heinz, Bob
26 Mumphord, Lloyd 73 Evans, Norm
28 Jenkins, Ed 75 Fernandez, Manny
29 Booker, Reginald 77 Crusan, Doug
31 Cole, Terry 78 Dunaway, Jim
32 Ginn, Hubert 79 Moore, Wayne
36 Leigh, Charles 80 Fleming, Marv
39 Csonka, Larry 81 Twilley, Howard
40 Anderson, Dick 82 Stowe, Otto
42 Warfield, Paul 83 Den Herder, Vern
45 Johnson, Curtis 84 Stanfill, Bill
49 Babb, Charles 85 Buoniconti, Nick
51 Ball, Larry 86 Briscoe, Marlin
53 Matheson, Bob 88 Mandich, Jim
56 Powell, Jesse 89 Noonan, Karl

ifownlee41nite@mac.com
09-22-2007, 01:40 AM
And here's one for you, Hudson...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5g8cwPZ6Q0A&mode=related&search=

Checkout #8.

You don't hear enough cowbell these days.

ExtremeSleuth
09-22-2007, 12:19 PM
Why do people in our state even root for...or hope for the browns. I've concluded its more of a supernatural issue....they are cursed.

But anyway.....

Quarterback: Montana (though i think payton manning will take it in time)

Running Back: Gale Sayers

Reciever: Jerry Rice

Linebacker: Butkis

HAHAHA. At least they beat the Bengals last week! Please know that I was just kidding about Couch. I'm glad they got rid of his ass, along with Charley Frye

Rick Meyer
09-24-2007, 11:02 PM
[quote=CallaghanFilms;1052754]Here's the Callaghan List...

Best Quarterback
John Elway without question

Best Running Back
Barry Sanders

Best Wide Receiver
Jerry Rice (49ers)

Best Tight End
Shannon Sharpe

Best Offensive Lineman
Gary Zimmerman

Best Defensive Lineman
Reggie White

Best Linebacker
Lawrence Taylor

Best Defensive Back
Deion Sanders

Joe Montana

and finally...
Chicago Bears '85

Rick Meyer
09-24-2007, 11:09 PM
John . . .

John?

John!

You CANNOT be serious!

hey, i agree with him. you dont think the '85 bears deserve recognition? Just check these stats. They speak for themselves...
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/chi1985.htm

Blaine
09-24-2007, 11:18 PM
The '72 Dolphins were perfection. Shula without a doubt was the greatest coach ever. Unfortunately, younger folks have never had the chance to see Butkus. Watch any show that has quarterbacks or running backs talk about who they feared. Butkus. After him, I'd have to go with some of those Pittsburgh linebackers and the drug riddled Lawrence Taylor.

David Jimerson
09-25-2007, 08:31 AM
hey, i agree with him. you dont think the '85 bears deserve recognition? Just check these stats. They speak for themselves...
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/chi1985.htm

When did I say they didn't deserve recognition? I just happen to think the '78 Steelers or the '89 49ers were better teams, even if the '85 bears have slightly better stats.

Rick Meyer
09-25-2007, 10:31 AM
When did I say they didn't deserve recognition? I just happen to think the '78 Steelers or the '89 49ers were better teams, even if the '85 bears have slightly better stats.

Okay...perhaps I should rephrase....they deserve the kind of recognition as being considered the best football team of all time. you may not think they were the best but you seemed to dismiss them as having a shot of having that distinction.

stephenlnoe
09-25-2007, 01:18 PM
I don't think anyone can dispute or diminish the fact that the Dolphins are the best team of all time with the 85 Bears right behind them. AAMOF the only team to beat the 85 Bears was of course the Dolphins. As far as overall teams it's hard to diminish the Packers their claim with all of the championships/superbowls they possess. They don't call G.B. "title town" for nothing.

Greatest players of all time:
Jim Brown
Walter Payton
Butkus
Montana
Joe Green
Lawrence Taylor
Rice
Jack Lambert
Swan/Stallworth
and a host of others....

Living Legends still playing:

Favre

David Jimerson
09-25-2007, 01:24 PM
Okay...perhaps I should rephrase....they deserve the kind of recognition as being considered the best football team of all time. you may not think they were the best but you seemed to dismiss them as having a shot of having that distinction.

It was much more a friendly poking at John than it was an actual statement about the Bears. :thumbsup:

Rick Meyer
09-25-2007, 09:21 PM
ahh, gotcha! im not really one to talk. im a Bronco fan.