PDA

View Full Version : A little help! DVX100 vs XL2

amiga500
09-12-2007, 11:58 AM
Hi everyone, I just join this forum although I don't have a DVX100:angry:.
I'm looking forward to buy a good miniDV camera for shooting our first indie feature and I was reading a lot of reviews of the DVX100 vs the XL2.

The XL2 was my dream camera until I've read that it has focusing problems.
On the other hand the DVX100 doesn't have a 16:9 native chip right? and I've read that in squeeze mode it looks a little blurry.

I need to make a good choice since I'm in Uruguay and here those cameras are not for sale, I need to buy it from USA and it cost me aprox $5000 with taxes.

So I just want a camera that:
-miniDV SD
-record at 24p
-good 16:9 mode ( I always crop the image to 1.85:1, so this is important to me)

Thanks in advance guys, hope to stay in this forum very long!

PD: sorry if I wrote something wrong in english:cheesy:!!

cmorrison
09-12-2007, 12:07 PM
Hey Amiga, I've worked pretty extensively with both cameras and there are pro's and con's to both.

Speaking overall, I didn't like how the XL2 was to handle, I liked the size, and the detachable lens is a bonus, but as for changing settings on the fly, the control were in awkward unreachable places, to move your hand and adjust the iris will probably shake your shot if your filming hand held. Not to knock the camera it's nice, but it's just not a camera I would want to invest my own money into. (worked with it as a cameraman and producer of past projects, not my camera) Another downer is it's lack of XLR inputs for audio, this means you need to stick a big long adapter on the back to get a lot of brands of mics in.

I love the DVX100, I think it's an amazing camera, the 24p mode's are excellent, but not having 16:9 is a big downer. But it does have a lot of easily accessible external controls, instead of having to digitally adjust something in the menu. Plus it's a bit cheaper then the XL2.

It's a tough call, I guess just speaking in general I like the layout of the Panasonic camera's over the Canons.

I don't know the specifics but I'm sure someone will chime in with them,

amiga500
09-12-2007, 12:33 PM
thanks cmorrison for replying.

I need a 16:9 mode, if the DVX doesn't have a good one so I'll go for the XL2.
I don't care interchangeable lenses so this feature is not important for now.
I am used to shoulder cameras so I guess I would like better to handle the XL2.

It is difficult to make a choice, both cameras are pretty similar.

Thanks again!

David Del Real
09-12-2007, 01:06 PM
Hey Amiga, I've worked pretty extensively with both cameras and there are pro's and con's to both.

Speaking overall, I didn't like how the XL2 was to handle, I liked the size, and the detachable lens is a bonus, but as for changing settings on the fly, the control were in awkward unreachable places, to move your hand and adjust the iris will probably shake your shot if your filming hand held. Not to knock the camera it's nice, but it's just not a camera I would want to invest my own money into. (worked with it as a cameraman and producer of past projects, not my camera) Another downer is it's lack of XLR inputs for audio, this means you need to stick a big long adapter on the back to get a lot of brands of mics in...............

Umm, I have an XL2 and it has XLR inputs on the back. You may be thinking of an XL1.

From Canon's site:

Professional Audio Connections

Canon knows that audio is crucial to professional productions -- and the XL2 provides the highest standards in audio capture available in a digital video system with a 16-bit, 2-channel recording option. The XL2 also has two additional 12-bit recording channels. This allows simultaneous recording on four channels. The XL2 permits both automatic and manual control of audio levels.

Two built-in XLR connectors with phantom power (+48V) are designed for use with professional condenser microphones. This balanced connection allows for the use of very long cables without the introduction of outside noise.

BNC connectors are used in professional and broadcast video applications. These connect a two-wire coaxial cable using a bayonet mount.

cmorrison
09-12-2007, 01:47 PM
Umm, I have an XL2 and it has XLR inputs on the back. You may be thinking of an XL1.

Yup, you're right, I was thinking XL1.

kfrogg
09-13-2007, 02:17 PM
Neither camera would be a mistake. They are both great at what they do.

Not sure of why these would cost you $5000, but for that price you could get a new Canon XHA1 with money to spare.

The XH A! will give you SD >AND< the option of having HD.

Especially if you don't care about the interchangable lens. (Which in reality isn't as cool as it sounds. You're better off with a 35mm adapter.)

amiga500
09-13-2007, 08:48 PM
Not sure of why these would cost you $5000, but for that price you could get a new Canon XHA1 with money to spare.

The XH A! will give you SD >AND< the option of having HD.

Hi Kfrog, it cost me about $5000 because I have to pay 60% (about $1500) of taxes in my :furious3:country! +plus about $300 of shipping cost.

I'm thinking of taking a trip to NY with the taxes money and buy on BHphotovideo.

Here in the 3rd world ain't easy get this stuff.

Thanks for your advices, for now DVX100 is winning the battle!

Tibby
09-13-2007, 10:27 PM
The XL2 was my dream camera until I've read that it has focusing problems.

I've owned both cameras and both are excellent. I'm curious as to what focusing problems you are talking about, because my XL2 with the 20x lens was razor sharp.

amiga500
09-14-2007, 09:28 AM
Tibby, I've never work with those cameras, only read reviews from users and it is very common to find people that says XL2 have issues with manual focus or uncomfortable handling of the camera.
Although I can't believe that such a great camera have this kind of problems, maybe it's a very personal users opinion! I don't know!

AshG
09-20-2007, 10:57 PM
The issues with the focus have to do with the electronic, not analog, focus ring. It is easily overcome with practice. For 16:9, the XL2 is hands down the best SD 1/3" camera. There are a ton of HDV cams that will do 16:9 SD now though.

ash =o)

Kyle Stebbins
09-21-2007, 08:39 AM
Go panny!!

amiga500
10-09-2007, 12:46 PM
Well, I finally bought the DVX100B.
It arrives at my hands on october 16!
Hope it is as good as they said, it cost me $3950!! yep, I'm in South America.