PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 Adds Support for Panasonic P2 ***NOW AVAILABLE***

David Saraceno
09-06-2007, 08:02 AM
I received this e mail from Adobe this morning.

Apparently announced at IBC

Now it would be nice if Apple responded.

Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 Adds Support for Panasonic P2

Editing Software Now Provides a File-based Tapeless Workflow For HD Video

IBC 2007, AMSTERDAM — Sept. 6, 2007 — Adobe Systems Incorporated (NASDAQ: ADBE) today unveiled native support for the Panasonic P2 camera format in Adobe® Premiere® Pro CS3 software. Adobe Premiere Pro now provides a true file-based workflow without transcoding or rewrapping, maintaining the rich metadata in P2 content and completing a software-only High Definition (HD) workflow – from capture to output. Adobe will demonstrate the P2 editing workflow during IBC 2007 Exhibition at Hall 7, Stand 721 in the RAI Convention Center, Amsterdam, September 7-11. This compatibility update will be made available to all Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 customers in the next few weeks.

Panasonic P2, introduced in 2003 by Panasonic Broadcast, is a solid state storage format for video production that eliminates tape from the workflow, reducing the time it takes editors to find a specific scene and eliminating the need to digitize footage from tape. Ideal for production and post-production, the P2 DVCPROHD format uses a proven 4:2:2 codec for highest quality results, and provides video professionals a cost-effective, efficient workflow that complements the editing efficiency of Adobe Premiere Pro CS3.

“Premiere Pro CS3 and Adobe Creative Suite 3 Production Premium have shaken up the industry and our goal is to deliver the best, most integrated, cross-platform video suite around,” said Jim Guerard, vice president of Dynamic Media at Adobe. “Our professional video products will integrate file-based camera formats, such as Panasonic P2, that are rapidly replacing tape in the broadcast and post-production workflow because of the speed, capacity and efficiency that allow editors to deliver projects faster.”

Native Support for P2 File Handling

Because Adobe Premiere Pro does not transcode or rewrap the P2 format into another file format, editors shorten the video acquisition process and have the flexibility to edit footage in the native MXF format. This not only helps retain valuable metadata information but also enables users to export back to P2 cards and permit playback via satellite uplink using Panasonic P2 equipment. Editors can mix other file formats freely within the Adobe Premiere Pro timeline, combining content from multiple sources.

“Customers shooting video with our Panasonic P2 cameras enjoy speed, mobility, performance and convenience,” said Tadao Shimozuru, director of professional AV systems Business Unit at Panasonic. “Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 complements these production benefits beautifully, forming the hub of a highly integrated P2 production workflow. With native import and editing combined with the ability to output back to the P2 card, this update allows Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 users to realize the full power of the P2 workflow.”

About Adobe Premiere Pro CS3

Available for both Windows® and Mac OSX, Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 software makes every step of high definition video production more efficient, and includes both Adobe OnLocation™ CS3 software for direct-to-disk recording and on-set monitoring and Adobe Encore® CS3 software for authoring to Blu-ray Disc, DVD and interactive SWF files for the Web.

Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 is part of the Adobe® Creative Suite® 3 Production Premium software, a complete and integrated post-production solution. Production Premium offers unprecedented levels of integration across major new releases of its video, audio and Web software and combines: Adobe After Effects® CS3 Professional, Adobe Premiere® Pro CS3, Adobe Photoshop® CS3 Extended, Adobe Flash® CS3 Professional, Adobe Illustrator® CS3, Adobe® Soundbooth™ CS3, Adobe Encore® CS3 with Dynamic Link, Adobe Stock Photos, and Version Cue. Adobe OnLocation CS3 (Windows® only*) and Adobe Ultra® CS3 (Windows only) are also included in the box. Post-production and rich media professionals now have a complete, cross-platform, integrated workflow that enables them to create and deliver visually innovative projects for film, broadcast, Web, DVD, and mobile devices.

Pricing and Availability

The compatibility update will be delivered free to all Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 customers in the next few weeks. Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 is currently available to customers in the United States and Canada through Adobe Authorized Resellers and the Adobe Store at www.adobe.com/store. Estimated street price for Adobe Premiere Pro software is US $799 for the full version and US $299 for upgrades. For more detailed information about features, upgrade policies and pricing,

Jeff Anderson
09-06-2007, 08:52 AM
Well thats good news - CS3 will be worth the upgrade for me if it actually lets me use the mxf's. I'll be waiting on the trial version to be available to test the waters though. Outputting back to p2 will be nice too. Yay for premiere!

David Saraceno
09-06-2007, 08:57 AM
This also suggests a better workflow for creating blu ray DVDs using Encore's capabilities.

Barry_Green
09-06-2007, 09:14 AM
And presumably since CS3 is cross-platform, this works on the Mac version of Premiere, right?

David Saraceno
09-06-2007, 09:36 AM
Yesssssssiiiiiirrrrrr!!!!!

"This compatibility update will be made available to all Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 customers in the next few weeks."

It also portends a possible move of OnLocation to the Mac

David Jimerson
09-06-2007, 09:39 AM
It also portends a possible move of OnLocation to the Mac

That would be significant, if it's possible in that short of a period of time.

Barry_Green
09-06-2007, 09:48 AM
How short of a period of time though? I mean, optimistic as it may sound, who's to say they haven't been working on OnLocation Mac since the day they bought the app?

I have no specific knowledge of, or reason for, such optimism, but I'm just sayin' that they've had Serious Magic for a long time now, so maybe they do have plans for that and maybe they've been working on it for a while?

This does seem a pretty short interval for an upgrade, that's true. But so what -- it's great news! :)

saturnin
09-06-2007, 12:13 PM
this is big news..... maybe its time for that HVX purchase now :D

mikkowilson
09-06-2007, 12:43 PM
Wow. VERY cool stuff! I will definatly swing by Adobe and quiz them about this at IBC.

Any specific questions for the Adobe Reps?

- Mikko

Leon Trinidad
09-06-2007, 12:47 PM
About "F...ing" Time. Seriously, did it need to take this long? What is Adobe's problem when it comes to updating Premiere? I've been a user forever and they always frustrate me! Always two steps behind on necessary updates and support. All of their other programs are on top of it.

Ah what am I complaining for, this is awesome!

fixitinpost
09-06-2007, 01:48 PM

- Mikko

Will we be able to read MXFs in After Effects as well? The feature is useless to me otherwise.

Jeff Anderson
09-06-2007, 01:51 PM
Oh true - didnt even think about AE... I'd hope so since premiere integrates so seamlessly with AE...

danny d
09-06-2007, 01:58 PM
Wow. VERY cool stuff! I will definatly swing by Adobe and quiz them about this at IBC.

- Mikko

he y miko, ask them when they will upgrade the "RGBA" color bith depth to make it more compatibe to after effects and photoshop. obviously we want our editing workpaces to still be in real time, so they can enable this floating point only in effects mode. this will be excellent. They should also enable the conversion or import of FCP quicktime files. Also thank them for the adobe media encoder, that application just made me some money.

its definetly great they are implementing the mxf file format. all around the CS3 PRODUCTS ARE REAL SOLID,. since I moved from expensive a** avid to adobe products, I have never looked back,

I wish adobe will come up with thier own real time codec like prores, or dnxhd, that will hande many file formats, from 4k, down. this will help a lot for DI work.

ProjX v2.0
09-06-2007, 03:40 PM
Where does Raylight now stand? Can it still be of use and integrated or is it about to become an obsolete application?

Christopher Barry
09-06-2007, 04:22 PM
This is good news about MXF support. Perhaps now I can render at the end of an edit/grade to CineForm for mastering at 10bit 1080p24. Interested to see how the RT performance fairs.

Danny, PP2 had known issues on long form projects, like a Feature length edit, and was apparently hanging/freezing due to memory issues. Has this been solved with CS3? Maybe Mikko can ask about this, however, I know what the rep will say. :laugh: Thanks guys.

jigga420
09-06-2007, 04:38 PM
The next big question is if this update will support All the hvxs resolutions and frame rates for both pal and ntsc.

If this update supports 720/50p, 720/25p and pn AND (heres the big one) 1080i/25p I'll be floored..

Because even fcp doesnt support 1080i/25p.

Neil Rowe
09-06-2007, 05:33 PM
..i would presume youll be able to edit any frame size or frame rate from an HVX ..or any other P2 cam for that matter ( although i personally only have a mind for th NTSC world, but well find out soon enough) but yes, the big question is how long until AE will also be able to use the MXFs either through dynamic link, or straight import. if AE or any other video app you want to use doesnt naitively handle them yet then Raylight is still very useful. but from the sound of this statement

"Our professional video products will integrate file-based camera formats, such as Panasonic P2,..."

..it sounds as if all of thier video products will be working with P2 in the days to come. of course, ..hopefully sooner than later.

anyhow, its some news ive been waiting to hear ever since the HVx first came out., so im pretty happy they are taking steps into it.

Demistate
09-06-2007, 09:00 PM
This is going to be awesome. I'm editing a feature right now on the trial version of DVFilm Raylight. I was about a few days away from buying the full product.

JoeyG123
09-07-2007, 03:16 AM
I cant wait, this is great, keep us updated on the progress, I've been a premiere user for years and was about to make the convertion to FCP, if premiere can deal with MXF's I'm clearly sticking with adobe,

Is this update going to be free??

Ursa
09-07-2007, 05:00 AM
oh my oh my oh my! I've been cutting using Raylight in CS3 now for a while, and even though Raylight is a DANG good product, I would LOVE to be able to edit natively (SPEEEEED) in Premiere. This is absolutely wonderful (but should've come ages ago).

Funkycoldg
09-07-2007, 06:16 AM
I am very very happy with this! I just hope it supports AE not too long after Premiere. I wonder how it will work with monitoring out of Premiere? It's also a good thing it will support ALL modes of the HVX!

Barry_Green
09-07-2007, 07:30 AM
I would LOVE to be able to edit natively (SPEEEEED) in Premiere.
Curious comment -- you'll likely be able to edit much faster in raylight than in Adobe's native system, because Raylight has adjustable playback quality levels (i.e., red, blue, green, and yellow).

David Jimerson
09-07-2007, 07:38 AM
How short of a period of time though? I mean, optimistic as it may sound, who's to say they haven't been working on OnLocation Mac since the day they bought the app?

I have no specific knowledge of, or reason for, such optimism, but I'm just sayin' that they've had Serious Magic for a long time now, so maybe they do have plans for that and maybe they've been working on it for a while?

This does seem a pretty short interval for an upgrade, that's true. But so what -- it's great news! :)

If it happens, it's great news for Mac users. (REALLY great news.) I'm just recalling Serious Magic saying there were steep obstacles to getting it onto a Mac (even if I don't remember exactly what they were). Just seems like a pretty short period of time.

Barry_Green
09-07-2007, 07:44 AM
I have no specific reason for optimism on that front; I just know that they were very aware that people have been clamoring for Mac support for a long time, so maybe they've been working on it for a long time? I don't know. No solid info here. Ooh, I'll page Mikko out at IBC and see if he can ask the Adobe folks for any statement or update!

fixitinpost
09-07-2007, 02:55 PM
Adobe pem will support ALL HVX200 P2 formats!! AE to follow shortly! All free updates.

All P2 support in prem will be released simultaniously for PC and Mac. OnLocation an Encore wont be updated, \"yet\".

Sounds promising!

Thundercross
09-08-2007, 02:31 PM
Yes it is a free upgrade to current CS3 owners.

Ursa
09-09-2007, 03:53 AM
Curious comment -- you'll likely be able to edit much faster in raylight than in Adobe's native system, because Raylight has adjustable playback quality levels (i.e., red, blue, green, and yellow).

Well I believe editing MXFs should be much faster. My 3 year old centrino laptop (1.2 ghz) is actually playing the raw MXFs smoothly, but when I go through the Raylight process, I can't play the files satisfactory on my 1 year old (2x2 ghz) main editing station even in Raylight Red. Sure, red is smoother than blue, but not very much. Like I said, Raylight is a thoroughly fantastic application, but native would be better by far. (The problems could of course also be Adobe-related, having no 64-bit support or dual-core optimizations).

after all: it's only 40 mbps (DVCPRO HD 720P25) compared to 25 mbps (DV), so it shouldn't be this much harder to run.

mikkowilson
09-09-2007, 04:20 PM
Adobe told me today that when they support a format, they always support it 100% natively. I Expect that working directly from the MXF files (with no intermediary) will most likely be faster.

- Mikko

Christopher Barry
09-09-2007, 08:55 PM
That is promising information, fingers crossed here. Thanks for the update.

Barry_Green
09-09-2007, 09:45 PM
All I'm saying is: playing the footage back from a DV Rack batch converted .AVI (which uses the Serious Magic DVCPRO-HD codec), gave about exactly the same performance as playing Raylight Blue.

I am assuming (and that's always dangerous, but in this case I think it's a reasonable assumption) that Adobe will continue to use the codec they already have. Which means that it should perform about the same as Raylight blue. Yet raylight has the option to go to green, yellow, or even red. So I don't see how one could expect Adobe's performance to exceed Raylight's. But, hey, as a future owner of CS3 I'd be thrilled to see it have better performance. I'm just not expecting it.

Thundercross
09-10-2007, 01:43 PM
Agreed

RWM
09-10-2007, 02:53 PM
Any discount for Raylight now?

mikkowilson
09-10-2007, 03:30 PM
I can't speak for performance, but it I belive that Adobe licensed another DVCPRO-HD codec for this project.

The whole thing was done for the BBC (who are moving exclusivly to P2 now) which made it possible (viable) for Adobe to on in the investments in development, it sounds like they've really done the upgrade in a "proper" top notch way. But of course we won't relly know untill the update is released.

- Mikko

Barry_Green
09-10-2007, 04:51 PM
Did the BBC make a P2-exclusive announcement? I've been expecting them to, but I never heard any follow-up. NAB 2006 they announced a yearlong program to trial tapeless acquisition systems, but there was no announcement made at the end. So is it official, that the BBC is moving to 100% P2?

joshtownsend
09-10-2007, 05:05 PM
Hopefully it'll be fast like edius! Wouldn't that be awesome!!! Can't wait for the update. I really hope the files work with After Effect also.

mikkowilson
09-10-2007, 11:04 PM
Barry; I haven't heard anything"officially" directly from the BBC, this is just the word on the street.

- Mikko

kamikaze1213
09-11-2007, 02:53 AM
Very good news indeed! It's about time actually. And for the price point it really doesn't matter to me one bit if Raylight is a smigen faster, I'd much rather take in program support any day of the week. Thanks Adobe!! :)

Barry_Green
09-11-2007, 08:31 AM
Barry; I haven't heard anything"officially" directly from the BBC, this is just the word on the street.

BBC's Factual Studios already committed to DVCPRO-HD (from the HDX900) and they've said they're going tapeless by 2010. I found a press release which said they expect to be fully converted to P2 by 2010, but I was just looking for a more comprehensive announcement if you knew of one.

Derrick_SA
09-14-2007, 09:25 AM
Has Adobe mentioned to anyone visiting IBC yet how many weeks, the "in the next fex weeks" means?

hie hie, I'm gonna upgrade to CS3 form Production Studio Premium for a few reasons, but the Native P2 support is THE BIGGEST reason to make it worth the money for me.

Thanks,
Derrick

mikkowilson
09-14-2007, 09:43 AM
Sounded like towards the end of this month, or early next. Really just a couple of weeks.

- Mikko

joshtownsend
09-20-2007, 04:36 PM
Can't wait, it's about time.

siniarch
09-25-2007, 05:31 PM
I'm guessing this hasn't been released yet? It will be interesting to see how this fairs in a production pipeline. :)

JoeyG123
09-26-2007, 04:11 AM
Any news on when this might be available, I'm waiting on the release and currently have no p2 support.......can't be long now surely????

The Noble Robot
09-26-2007, 09:13 AM
The Adobe website now says "October." Makes sense, but here's hoping earlier rather than later October. I'm so appreciative for this but I can't help but be antsy, too!

I *just* shot a film on P2 (as in finished shooting on Sunday) and it's sitting in the can waiting to be cracked open! I was *this* close to buying Raylight.

<<Nervously taps fingers, humming loudly to self>>

dregenthal
09-26-2007, 09:17 PM
The Adobe website now says "October." Makes sense, but here's hoping earlier rather than later October. I'm so appreciative for this but I can't help but be antsy, too!

I *just* shot a film on P2 (as in finished shooting on Sunday) and it's sitting in the can waiting to be cracked open! I was *this* close to buying Raylight.

<<Nervously taps fingers, humming loudly to self>>

I'm looking forward, with curiousity to the patch as well but I can't (at the price/benefit/proven performance of RayLight) imagine why you would wait when you could be cutting your film.

Best.

Derrick_SA
09-27-2007, 12:04 PM
You'll be glad you waited, cause what I find is, if I shot something, and I leave it for a two, three weeks, and then edit, it's so much easier to identify the good shots, and cut them together better.

If I edit right after a shoot, I'm still to connected to the shoot, if that makes sense?

So wait for the update, and the project will probably benefit from the wait.

- Derrick

saturnin
09-27-2007, 05:55 PM
"connected to the shoot" sounds about right.. i never edit right away.. usualy wait a week or so...

mikkowilson
09-27-2007, 06:13 PM
... hell, I've got stuff from YEARS ago that is still waiting to be edited. :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

- Mikko

joshtownsend
09-28-2007, 10:26 AM
They updated the premiere manual PDF at the adobe site and it describes the P2 workflow in some detail but doesn't answer the After effects question. I don;t see how it couldn't work in After Effects. They have the dynamic link thing............

The Noble Robot
09-28-2007, 02:53 PM
I'm looking forward, with curiousity to the patch as well but I can't (at the price/benefit/proven performance of RayLight) imagine why you would wait when you could be cutting your film.

Best.

Well, paying for Raylight just so I can start cutting a few weeks earlier isn't worth it. And I also agree that waiting awhile can have its benefits (although it's overrated: in my experience, you can start right away, or you can wait, and if you know what you're doing, it ends up being a wash).

mikkowilson
10-18-2007, 09:59 AM
The update is apparently now available: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=113047

- Mikko

Neil Rowe
10-18-2007, 10:44 AM
They updated the premiere manual PDF at the adobe site and it describes the P2 workflow in some detail but doesn't answer the After effects question. I don;t see how it couldn't work in After Effects. They have the dynamic link thing............

dynamic link only works one way though, bringing an AE comp into PPRO, but it doesnt dynamically bring PPRO comps into AE. they are still just imported into AE "as is" and arent dynamically updated through link.

but downloading the update now :)