PDA

View Full Version : 'Its room now'

Wrathborne
08-26-2007, 01:53 AM
While I havent much gotten beyond the first draft of the script for this little entry I figure I might as well anounce it.

My short for the Hallow fest is called 'Its room now'. Most likelly be filmed for under $50 like most of my short films. Essential focus is on mood, atmosphere and suspense.

I'll film it on my Canon 440 (Old camera yes, but pretty snazzy too) and alls I can say is expect to see oddness.

I'm a hybrid of eastern and western horror ideas, Specificaly the odd dutch camera angles of Sam Raimi and the supernatural oddities of Japan.

I'd talk about the story...but with onyl a 4 1/2 minute run time and what not there isnt much to tell that wouldnt spoil things later.

So I'll just toss in some updates here and there, maybe a few digi cam pix here and there as well.

Just throwing my hat into the ring.:Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

Jack Daniel Stanley
08-26-2007, 04:37 AM
Cool.

Welcome.

:beer:

Wrathborne
08-26-2007, 02:20 PM
Thanks jack, l look forward to seeing your short this year, Mark showed me 'the shed' last summer. It was a really cute short.

Mark Johnson
08-26-2007, 04:24 PM
You might think about looking up some of the other DVXUsers in the Santa Clara/San Fran/San Jose area who might be interested in helping you out. If you give me enough notice I will try to schedule my travel to San Jose to match your shooting if you want some help.

Brandon Rice
08-26-2007, 04:26 PM
Looking forward to your film... sounds interesting (the style)

Wrathborne
08-26-2007, 11:22 PM
You might think about looking up some of the other DVXUsers in the Santa Clara/San Fran/San Jose area who might be interested in helping you out. If you give me enough notice I will try to schedule my travel to San Jose to match your shooting if you want some help.

I'll be fine, there is however 4 little shots where I would like your help, cant turn down an oppertunity to use your excellent cgi skills. I'll e-mail you some animated storyboards and we'll work things out there.

Wrathborne
09-05-2007, 11:20 PM
And here I am with update no.1, Still havent finished all the storyboards yet and I'm looking at filming next week. Which is good and bad, good because I can stick to the plan of getting everything filmed before my final quarter of school starts.

Its bad because the original actress(a fellow film student as well) hasnt e-mailed of phoned me back in over a week. Being as close to my personal deadline as I am, I e-mailed her and told her I'm making other arrangements.

Having only worked with the girl briefly I should have stuck to my original impression of her and tried to get another actress instead. Always helps to work with people you know you can trust. But being myself I cant help but give people a chance/benefit of the doubt. if I didnt do that i would meet new people.

So I've made my other arrangement and am using a friends sister to take her place. Trust has been established and we're still going to stick to filming next week.

Crisis averted.

I think its always facinating as I continue onward in my projects how it becomes just as important to find people you cant trust as it is to find people you can. I'm aware that life steps in and takes priority sometimes, but for the most part as interested as they appear, you just cant trust someone just because they're interested in working with you for the first time. It may just be a momentary interest or even mild curiosity.

I guess I'm too trusting and good natured to be aware of this knowledge. Havent started hating my original actress just yet, but I dont expect to get any e-mails or anything from her until next week either.

Methinks its time to trust my first impressions a little more :P.

I hope to have some set pixs to share here sometime next week as well.

Hope the rest of you guys are doing well on your entries :)

Michael Anthony Horrigan
09-06-2007, 06:46 AM
Welcome to the Fest!

Cheers,

Mike

ilauzirika
09-10-2007, 03:05 AM
keep on and good luck

wilx
09-15-2007, 03:47 AM
I don't get the title...

If it's meant to be 'It is room now', then you should add an apostrophe:
"It's room now"

But neither make sense as a standalone sentence/phrase. Is this intentional? I'm intrigued!
Looking forward to more info/pics /etc...

Jack Daniel Stanley
09-15-2007, 04:18 AM
It sounds weird but I think it makes sense.

It's like His Room or Her Room, only Its room.

As in, this used to be my room, but the dog won't let me even com in any more. This is Its Room Now.

Mark Johnson
09-15-2007, 08:38 AM
Yeah, that's how I read it. Like, it's not her room anymore ....

I like titles like this.

Wrathborne
09-15-2007, 06:03 PM
Marks got it ;) Bad Joke Jack, Just for that...um..I'll think of some kind of punishment later, right now I gotta upload some pix and work on some shots.

Well as things seem to be going on and off really strange i've opted to make some adjustments to what and how I'm filming this sucker. Gonna have some stop motion shots and sequences here adn there. Not just for the weird factor, but because my initial camera was pissing me off too often so we're shooting this with a dumpy digi cam. But I'm getting some interesting results.

At the very least I like the look of what I've got. But it all comes down to editing.

These are some stills from some of the stop motion shots I'm gonna use.

Brandon Rice
09-15-2007, 07:15 PM
stop motion? How do you mean?

Wrathborne
09-15-2007, 09:43 PM
upon having my actress, or anything in the shot in a particular pose I'll move her and or them around and take a good 24 stills and then in editing link them all together to get the desired effect.

Brandon Rice
09-15-2007, 10:07 PM
wow cool stuff

Wrathborne
09-15-2007, 10:22 PM
We shall see, i'm mainly doing this as an alternative to getting weird ass sped up motion pans and what not.

Mark Johnson
09-16-2007, 06:48 PM
Those are dope looking frames, dude. Major creep factor. Congrats on pushing boundaries and experimenting.

Wrathborne
09-16-2007, 07:18 PM
Always eager to please > : )

Besides I'm starting to enjoy this experimentation more and more I might considar refining this shooting style for more projects.

Wrathborne
09-17-2007, 06:40 PM
And as expected something goes wrong in this case I should have stuck to my insticts and worked with someone I know and trust. Stupid actress ditched me on what should have been our final filming day.

While I admitifly only had about half of what I wanted filmed and what not its still pretty dissapointing. I suspect I'm mainly dissapointed in myself for trusting a stranger. But I'll live.

While I have to start over, at least i've got a better idea of what i want and how to film it.

Am I beaten? nay, I'm more determined that ever to finish this bitch even if I have to go back to sqaure one.

Things will just have a chnace to be more refined is all :)

Mark Johnson
09-18-2007, 12:39 AM
Some of us still haven't shot a single frame so you're looking sweet with doing a reshoot already! Post some frames when you do so we can compare with your originals posted here!

Jack Daniel Stanley
09-18-2007, 08:56 AM
yeah you just did really detailed realistic looking pre-vis :)

spooky138
09-18-2007, 09:19 AM
What software are you using for the stop-mo? I've gotten good results with Monkey Jam... I animated ground beef in a pan for the last short I did where this lady loses her grip on reality and a meat-face appears in the pan she's cooking with and starts giving her advice. The effect turned out rather convincing.

Wrathborne
09-18-2007, 12:29 PM
I appriciate the compliments and consolation guys, For the stop motion? Well right now since I don thave access to final cut pro(until next week) I've been screwing around with windows movie maker. Yeah its not that precise but I get to fuck around with some footage and get a better idea how things will look.

Interestingly enough i got an e-mail this orning from the previous actress I was using. Didnt bother to open it, just deleted it.

After 3 calls over the course of about 2 1/2 hours yesterday, which I know is her day off and getting no response, I just said 'fuck it'. I'm trying to create something here, and I dont you involved. I dont want to hear any excuses or anything from her, so I'm just moving on and trying to remain focused.

I'm gonna pick up today with a friends sister who A: I can trust and B: is great company.

I'll see about posting some shots tonight for you gents.

DarkMatter
09-20-2007, 03:39 AM
Any poster in the works? I hear ya' about getting good talent on the cheap sometimes you just gotta make due with what you got and gently coax a decent preformance out of them.

Wrathborne
09-20-2007, 09:31 PM
Ok well I'll have some new stuff to show in a few days. Might need to do a smidge of reshooting here and there.

The stop-mo POV's I've done so fare are look pretty damn good. I need to lengthen a few of these shots some more, they add a nice 'weirder than fu<k touch' to my short.

I'd say I'm roughly 75% completed with production. But I need more suspense mixed in here. Gotta make it nice and creepy.

Mulling over having a trailer on youtube. But I dont want to give anyoene else any ideas for the contest. Sorry boys, :P

spooky138
09-21-2007, 09:37 AM
Mulling over having a trailer on youtube. But I dont want to give anyoene else any ideas for the contest. Sorry boys, :P

Hey man! Don't forget that you're not allowed to plug / advertise your film elsewhere until the fest is over.

:evil: :Drogar-Happy(DBG): :Drogar-Shock(DBG):

Wrathborne
09-23-2007, 12:50 AM
Duh! Sorry, iI forgot about that,*smacks self in head* Thanks Spooky.

I finished all the filming. Just need to get to work on the animation and other weirdness now. Looks like I'm gonna have arun time of about 4 minutes even, credits included. Will post a few stills tomorrow!

spooky138
09-23-2007, 10:01 AM
Can't wait to see some BTS stuff!

Wrathborne
09-23-2007, 06:54 PM
and here are some stills, some are from the 'stop mo' shots That I was 'Raimi-ing' around with, th eothers are from the dumpgy digi cam. I got a lot of really nice shots and I'm pretty happy with the rough cut I've got. but I cant wait to be able to do some perfecting this week.

So we'll see hwo things go, heres my actress and a misc shots. shes pretty pale so I opted to 'Goth' her up some.has a nice look on camera I think :)

Glideshot
09-23-2007, 09:29 PM
Your eagerness and enthusiasm is great, don't let problems stop your drive. If you involve yourself in the indie business long enough, you'll certainly deal with actor/actress problems and excuses regularly.

Your stills look very intriguing, you certainly have my attention.

Keep Going!

Mark Johnson
09-24-2007, 07:54 PM
Bitchin images, man. ... This promises to be a truly unique project. What are you doing for score?

Wrathborne
09-25-2007, 02:38 PM
The music I'll be using wont be conventional thats for certain. As a matter of fact the music I'll be using wont be made using any instruments of any kind either. No, I'm not gonna beat on a rock with a twig.

What I intend to use for a soundtrack is...You'll have to wait and see :P Only hint I can give is it starts with an 'E'.

Brandon Rice
09-25-2007, 02:48 PM
hm... wow. you have some crazy stuff going on here!

Wrathborne
09-26-2007, 02:28 PM
I so what I can. My current problem is that I'm kind of 'drained' right now.First week of school has begun and what not. I intended to start editing on campus and fine tweening what I've got but I havent really been able to build up an 'urge'.

I'll most likelly get some work done on friday. I've got so many little things I suddenly want to do right now as well.

But I wont indulge those desires until I finish all this editing and what not.So much to do..so little time to do it.

DarkMatter
09-26-2007, 05:00 PM
Hang in there, when I get drained from a project I will let it sit awhile and do something else to unwind, then it hit it hard after resting a day or so. Sometimes it helps to just step back and reevaluate your options. You still have a month to finish don't burn out too soon.

Jason Ramsey
09-26-2007, 09:14 PM
Hey, man. I finally got a chance to go through your thread. I'm trying to get into the Hallows threads some more now.

Just wanted to say welcome to you, and it looks like you've got some interesting ideas, and what looks to be a potentially unique short. I'm very interested in seeing how you progress.

Please keep it up.
Take care,
Jason

Wrathborne
09-26-2007, 09:43 PM
Thanks for your support gents. I'm not used to people actually showing much interest in what I do (Cept Mark :cheers:). I intend to post some more stills to at least show off a little more of whats going down.

Wrathborne
09-26-2007, 09:55 PM
ah, what the hell here are a few more stills.

Brandon Rice
09-26-2007, 10:00 PM
Nice...looks creepy to me :)

Glideshot
09-27-2007, 02:34 PM
I'm really diggin' that Goth Feel!

Weston
09-29-2007, 11:20 PM
and alls I can say is expect to see oddness.

Oddness sounds great. Thats what I want to see..

I like the style youve got going there in those grabs..

Wrathborne
09-29-2007, 11:31 PM
It'll look better when I get more post production done, I got a lot of little effects that need to be animated heh heh.

I'm actually going to animate the effects via Flash as its a fun toy I play with and I know it pretty well. It'll also have a nice 'downgraded' look to it. And that downgraded look will definitelly fit in with the footage I have.

Nothing against seamlessness 3-d animation and what not, but what I have In mind will have a better feel to it as this IS just a dumpy little project of mine.

I just think it needs soem more...'B'.

Wrathborne
10-10-2007, 01:46 PM
fuck, been so damn busy as of recent I havent had any time to toss up any stills here. Well I'm just now getting started on some special effectness.

Schools been draining all my iniative latelly. I'll toss up a few stills with some 'special 'effects. Need to hustle and get this bitch finished so I can work on other stuff.