PDA

View Full Version : IN EXTREMIS by JOHNSON and HYTEN

Mark Johnson
08-20-2007, 11:18 AM
http://www.archivisuals.com/inextremisposter.jpg

in ex·tre·mis PRONUNCIATION (http://bartelby.com/61/12.html):http://bartelby.com/images/pron.jpg (http://bartelby.com/61/wavs/42/I0124200.wav) http://bartelby.com/images/pronunciation/ibreve.gifn http://bartelby.com/images/pronunciation/ebreve.gifk-strhttp://bartelby.com/images/pronunciation/emacr.gifhttp://bartelby.com/images/pronunciation/prime.gifmhttp://bartelby.com/images/pronunciation/ibreve.gifs ADVERB:1. At the point of death. 2. In grave or extreme circumstances.

Mark Johnson
08-20-2007, 11:19 AM
We are very pleased to have Tom Marshall playing the lead role in this short. Additionally, we are honored to have a very talented character actor, Vito LaMorte, playing a supporting role:

http://www.archivisuals.com/TomVito.jpg

Mark Johnson
08-20-2007, 11:19 AM
RESERVED for BTS

Tom Marshall
08-20-2007, 11:30 AM
Yes! Now we're cookin... :beer:

Mark Johnson
08-20-2007, 11:34 AM
Yo Tomster,

Would like to get together with you this week. Beer's on me if you will drive to the tap.

Tom Marshall
08-20-2007, 11:38 AM
Most definitely. What time and where?

Mark Johnson
08-20-2007, 12:02 PM
Tim is shooting on the west side today. I'm thinking of seeing if he wants to come over to Palos Verdes when he finishes rather than fighting the traffic on the 10 until later. If you're on the western frontier today would you want to come down to P.V. and do some drinks and dinner? Maybe around 5-ish or so?

Tom Marshall
08-20-2007, 12:10 PM
Yeah, I'm up for it. I would probably leave here around 3 to avoid the traffic so I'd be there around 4 / 4:30.

Mark Johnson
08-20-2007, 05:01 PM
For any denizens in Los Angeles. The first IN EXTREMIS pre-production conference is being held tonight at the Hooters in Hollywood at 6:00 p.m. (6922 Hollywood - Hollywood at Highland) Tom Marshall will have a special presentation with never-before-revealed info pertaining to his Hallows Fest project. COME ON OVER!!!! (we also will be drunk dialing Ted at some point during the evening).

Wrathborne
08-20-2007, 05:10 PM
Woot, Hells yeah. Damn mark, you always make the best projects when I'm not around. :P I'm quite Jealous of you Tommy (nice to meet you BTW)

Slimothy
08-20-2007, 08:26 PM
Just got back from the Hooters meeting. Barely got out with my testis. Tom wasn't so lucky.

This is gonna be fun.

It was kind of hard to collaborate with nipples in my drink.

Ted Arabian
08-20-2007, 09:16 PM
Waaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!! :crybaby: I want to be in CA!!!!

Sounds like a good time... as always! Best of luck you guys!

-Ted

PS - awaiting drunk phone call!

Mark Johnson
08-20-2007, 09:24 PM
Ted! We all prepared scurrilous invectives but discovered we did not have your friggin' phone number (my TREO went belly up long ago and I lost my contacts) , nor did we know the name of the backwater burg where you ply your nefarious trade. Thus, you were spared the spew ... THIS TIME.

However, here's some pix from the Treo of the evening's conference:

http://www.archivisuals.com/preproduction.jpg

Ted Arabian
08-20-2007, 09:31 PM
hahaha!!! Awesome! Thanks for sharing the pix. Damn, that brings back memories.

Congrats Tom on dumping that a-hole job of yours! Good luck in the biz!

By the way, I'll have one of each... a Blonde, a Brunette and a New Castle!

Mark Johnson
08-20-2007, 09:36 PM
Ted, Tommy is living a life to die for (or from which he will die). He advises that he rises typically at 4 p.m. as the "good stuff" doesn't happen on Melrose until after 3 a.m.

Wrathbone, so nice to see you here on the forum. Tim, Herr Wrathbone is the Long Island Ice Tea-drinking auteur who produced "THE TRAIL" at the SF 3-minute film festival. I encouraged hiim to join DVXUSER and here he is. I hope you Northern Cali filmmakers can hook up with him as he's a great guy.

For you L.A. DVXUSERs we are having a housewarming on the East Side (Rancho Cucamonga) on Wednesday evening at our (Tim and me) new digs. Would love to have any of you stop by and we'll certainly keep your glass full. PM me if you want directions and deets.

bosindy
08-20-2007, 09:54 PM
You see, this is a film I can get behind.

Mark Johnson
08-20-2007, 09:55 PM
Well, the waitress from the Trop is over at Tommy's place now. Somehow he skipped the pool part. :)

Ted Arabian
08-20-2007, 10:12 PM
Well... Tom is the stud! And we did all hear about the the "pool incident" during Tom's film (though none of us have witnessed it!). Maybe one day Blaine will provide the bts on that shoot!

Mark Johnson
08-20-2007, 10:13 PM
Hey, seriously, tonight Tommy said he has all the footage from MaliBoo now. I say we make hiim edit that sucker at last!

Ted Arabian
08-20-2007, 10:14 PM
Alright... my bottle of Merlot is dry so it is off to bed.

G'night all!

-Ted

Ted Arabian
08-20-2007, 10:15 PM
Hey, seriously, tonight Tommy said he has all the footage from MaliBoo now. I say we make hiim edit that sucker at last!
ooh, ooh... wait a minute! Hold off on that bed call....

Tom has all of the footage from Maliboo????

TOM!!!! Step away from the Hooter's girl and SHOW US!!!!! (show us the footage from Maliboo, that is!)

Ted Arabian
08-20-2007, 10:21 PM
Alright... now my light should turn red!

Good night.

bosindy
08-20-2007, 10:23 PM
I'll post it here so that we don't jack the other thread. Daydreams was incredible. Changing perspectives like that really was unexpected and the end made me laugh. Great work! Really creative.

Mark Johnson
08-21-2007, 07:38 AM
Thanks Jim! The animation is pretty gawdawful but I did think the concept worked pretty well for a 3-minute story. Was a good exercise for sure.

Between the beer and boobs yesterday Tim and I did make some progress honing down our concept for this fest. It may still be a bit too ambitious, so I'm going to take a couple more passes at revising the script outline.

One problem is that we have a ridiculously full shooting schedule for work projects and I don't want this one to get away from us like the AdFest did.

Zoidoid
08-21-2007, 08:00 AM
You know, some of the things I remember marveling at when I first visited dvxuser was some of your effects, Mark. At the time, I remember seeing something with a helicopter that you had motion-matched to a scene. Also, I recall clips of a massive snake that you had rendered. And then, of course, the work you did in Rekindled. Really looking forward to see what you guys come up with!

Mark Johnson
08-21-2007, 08:12 AM
Zoidoid, ... I love that username. Thanks so much for your note. You're on Long Island? Reminds me of the summer of 1994 when I worked for MTV at the Beach House in the Hamptons. First night I arrived there was the night of OJ's bronco chase. Then the Rangers went on to win the cup. Haven't been back to L.I. since but I sure hope to make it out in the near term.

If we keep our script for In Extremis as is, we will have some interesting practical effects that will either be killer or suck. Oh well, you live by the sword ......

Tom Marshall
08-21-2007, 05:41 PM
hahaha!!! Awesome! Thanks for sharing the pix. Damn, that brings back memories.

Congrats Tom on dumping that a-hole job of yours! Good luck in the biz!

By the way, I'll have one of each... a Blonde, a Brunette and a New Castle!

Thanks Ted... yeah, that job was really holding me back from what I SHOULD be doing!

Ted, Tommy is living a life to die for (or from which he will die). He advises that he rises typically at 4 p.m. as the "good stuff" doesn't happen on Melrose until after 3 a.m.

Wrathbone, so nice to see you here on the forum. Tim, Herr Wrathbone is the Long Island Ice Tea-drinking auteur who produced "THE TRAIL" at the SF 3-minute film festival. I encouraged hiim to join DVXUSER and here he is. I hope you Northern Cali filmmakers can hook up with him as he's a great guy.

For you L.A. DVXUSERs we are having a housewarming on the East Side (Rancho Cucamonga) on Wednesday evening at our (Tim and me) new digs. Would love to have any of you stop by and we'll certainly keep your glass full. PM me if you want directions and deets.

Yeah, waking up at 4pm is all fun and games until you realize that it's not very productive... I mean, topless bars are great and all, but still... :beer:

And Wrathbone, it's good to meet you to. Look forward to maybe working with ya in the future. :)

Well, the waitress from the Trop is over at Tommy's place now. Somehow he skipped the pool part. :)

Umm... see topless bar comment above... :shocked:

ooh, ooh... wait a minute! Hold off on that bed call....

Tom has all of the footage from Maliboo????

TOM!!!! Step away from the Hooter's girl and SHOW US!!!!! (show us the footage from Maliboo, that is!)

I have the tapes. We rented the SPX900 so I have 5 DVCPRO tapes... and no deck to capture from... if anyone has a deck... :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

Mark Johnson
08-22-2007, 06:46 AM
We rented the SPX900 so I have 5 DVCPRO tapes... and no deck to capture from... if anyone has a deck...

I know a guy with a deck on the east side, Tommy. I'll see if we can do a dub over at his place ... assuming the footage doesn't burn the eyesockets out of those innocents who watch the legendary debauchery captured on that tape.

Kyle Stebbins
08-22-2007, 08:21 AM
this summer had nothing on last. i want to come to CA more than anything, guys.

i'm the one that made the mistake to start working a second job. i got busy and sort of trapped myself in a corner. -- anyways, this film sounds like a blast and i wish i could hang at dennis' place again... perhaps rock out another duet on that self-playing piano for bullis again.

i'm gonna shoot you a call in the next couple days, mark man. hope all is well.

kyle

Slimothy
08-22-2007, 12:45 PM
Hey guys,
Me and Mr. Johnson have begun to get thing rolling but are looking for a name for our production company. Whoever thinks of a good name will get the chance to edit Tommy's movie, "Maliboo."

Brandon Rice
08-22-2007, 01:03 PM
How about MarTim Pictures?

Tom Marshall
08-22-2007, 03:00 PM
I know a guy with a deck on the east side, Tommy. I'll see if we can do a dub over at his place ... assuming the footage doesn't burn the eyesockets out of those innocents who watch the legendary debauchery captured on that tape.

Mark, that would be sweet, man... :beer:

Hey guys,
Me and Mr. Johnson have begun to get thing rolling but are looking for a name for our production company. Whoever thinks of a good name will get the chance to edit Tommy's movie, "Maliboo."

So if I come up with a good name, does that mean I would have to edit my own movie?

Mark Johnson
08-22-2007, 03:42 PM
Tommy,If you come up with the best name you get to re-edit Thou Shalt Not. Tim is always agg

Mark Johnson
08-22-2007, 03:44 PM
Tommy,If you come up with the best name you get to re-edit Thou Shalt Not. Tim is always bragging that it is one of the tightest editing examples on DVXUSER. I would like to see you shut him up.

Tom Marshall
08-22-2007, 04:15 PM
Deal! So how's tonight's outlook? Did you manage to talk you-know-who into showing up?

Brandon Rice
08-22-2007, 04:19 PM
Who's this, "You know who"?

Oh.. know of someplace I can find snow this time of year?

Tom Marshall
08-22-2007, 04:22 PM
Who's this, "You know who"?

Oh.. know of someplace I can find snow this time of year?

I can't say... I'm sworn to secrecy... :D

How about at the top of, say, Bear mountain? I would think they would have snow... :)

Mark Johnson
08-22-2007, 08:28 PM
Tommy,

The open house got moved to next week. You will be getting details shortly.

Mark Johnson
08-22-2007, 08:55 PM
Hey, help Tim and moi decide on a name for our new production company. Current suggestions are posted here: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?p=1030986#post1030986

Mark Johnson
08-22-2007, 08:57 PM
Oh, and "you know who" had no free evenings this week. We hope to drag his ass over next week.

Geoff_R
08-22-2007, 10:11 PM
Yea! Another Mark Johnson picture! I'm excited! Best of luck to you Mark and Hyten! Slick title and banner ad too.

Mark Johnson
08-25-2007, 08:31 AM
I am pleased to announce that the ever questionable Scott Bullis has joined the IN EXTREMIS team and the extraordinary climax is going to be shot on the Bullis Home World.

Brandon Rice
08-25-2007, 09:44 AM
Nice... what will Mr. Bullis be doing on the shoot?

I must say, I'm jealous of your awesome team so far... but... I am sure you're a bit jealous of mine as well... I have Noa on my team :)

Edgen
08-25-2007, 10:43 AM
Wew hew! looking forward to seeing you guys' film. Diggin' the poster!

/j

Wrathborne
08-26-2007, 12:35 AM
You got "Bullis the video game hater" as a cameraman/grip?

Damn You're gonna have one hell of a crew my man. 'Envious am I'
Cant wait to see the teaser/dialies when you can share them ;)

Jack Daniel Stanley
08-26-2007, 03:53 AM
Oh boy.
I'm gonna regret subscribing to this thead :)

Mark Johnson
08-28-2007, 07:40 AM
Just a note that today Mr. Bullis and I will be shooting some test footage at one of our locations. Lots of logistical issues and I'm not even sure if we can solve some of the problems. However, that's what's great about these kind of projects. You learn much more from hardship than from the easy path.

I'll report tonight and, no doubt, will have some new Bullisisms to share.

Jazz Dog
08-28-2007, 12:23 PM
Looking forward to it. Always have enjoyed your entries so far.
I am inspired by your ability to bring a team together.

Mark Johnson
08-29-2007, 11:57 AM
I am returned from my visit to the Bullis Home World. Will have some pics to post later today!

Tom Marshall
08-29-2007, 08:06 PM
Mark! When's the homewarming?

Mark Johnson
08-29-2007, 10:35 PM
Bullis in front of Red's Java House (taken on my cell phone)

http://archivisuals.com/BullisRedsJavaHouse.jpg

Brandon Rice
08-29-2007, 10:48 PM
Nice! :thumbsup: lets see some test footy!

Ted Arabian
08-30-2007, 05:34 AM
I Miss Bullis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark Johnson
08-30-2007, 07:36 AM
I'll post some more stuff as soon as I get a chance to convert it later today. Tim and I were up pretty late last night moving furniture into the new offices of L.A.'s newest shoot-anything-anywhere-production-company Fat Monster Films.

Guys, we are having a ball out here with the only downside being we're way the hell in B.F.E. on the east side to keep rent cheap. However, we've been pleasantly surprised to find that the cell phone and net pretty much make location of our base unimportant as long as we get where we need to shoot on time and stay within budget. Yeah, we may be just shooting local commercials and music videos now, but some day ... we will be shooting bigger local commercials and less crappy music videos. Ah, a guy can dream can't he?

Ted Arabian
08-30-2007, 08:44 AM
B.F.E. Took me a bit but I got it!

Fat Monster Films! Cool Name. Working on a logo or do you have one?

Good for you guys. Go get 'em!

Ted (in B.F.N.E.)

Mark Johnson
08-30-2007, 09:06 AM
Fat Monster Films! Cool Name. Working on a logo or do you have one?

We are thinking a stylized version of your avatar might be nice .... :)

Seriously, we're working on a logo and hope to have it by the weekend. We have set up some meetings in the office so we figure we'd better get the cards and signage done before the clients show up!

Mark Johnson
09-05-2007, 06:47 PM
Hey, you guys see this article in the Hollywood Reporter about the DVXuser fest?

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.php?p=1041509&postcount=146

Brandon Rice
09-05-2007, 06:50 PM
Mark, I was going onto your thread to ask how things are progressing.

Mark Johnson
09-05-2007, 07:42 PM
Hey there Brandon. Tim and I have been totally swamped with work and haven't been able to do squat on our short other than some preproduction stuff. However, we've got time blocked out and remain confident that we're going to have a great short.

Today we were shooting a forensic project (L.A. dump truck runs over motorcycle policeman) all day near Chatsworth and we used our down time to map out a shooting schedule.

I've still got to post some stuff from the afternoon Scott Bullis and I spent. Unfortunately, I'm off to New Orleans for a project so I'll have to wait til I get back. ....

How's your little opus going B.R? (nice pix on your blog too)

Brandon Rice
09-05-2007, 07:46 PM
gotcha Mark. Well, my short is going well, seriously everything is ready to go, planned etc. The script took awhile getting there, but I think it's a real tight little script now. Should be a lot of fun. Keep in touch, and good luck with the other projects as well!

Kyle Stebbins
09-10-2007, 07:14 PM
Buullliisss!!!!!

Mark Johnson
09-23-2007, 07:17 PM
Hey dudes,

I'm extremely pleased to announce that we've reached an agreement with TommyInLA to play the lead for In Extremis. We'll be putting up a new poster soon and some preproduction stuff. The role is a really interesting one and I think Tommy is going to be able to really pull it off.

Edgen
09-23-2007, 07:32 PM
Tom... You stud you.

/j

Brandon Rice
09-23-2007, 07:48 PM
Awesome! I was hoping for an update soon! :)

Mark Johnson
09-23-2007, 08:52 PM
Ours is a twisted little tale and Tommy is a twisted little actor. So it is a good fit.

We are going to be really jammed with our shooting schedule and, frankly, it will help a lot having Tommy as our lead because he's probably one of the most flexible, enthusiastic and easy-to-work-with actors we know.

Tim and I have been really pleased to find out that our calendar has filled up with projects now that we've begun promoting our little production company FAT MONSTER FILMS. We're shooting a music video in Hollywood this coming weekend and then fly to Atlanta for two interesting forensic projects the following week. We've got a new MacBook Pro with FCP and a High Def monitor that we're taking along. A very good friend and client is giving us a lake house in Southern Georgia to use for the rest of the week where we're going to hide out with a couple bottles of whiskey and just spend all our time editing. When we get back to L.A. we'll shoot In Extremis and hopefully be able to edit it in time for the deadline. We're trying to work out everything tight in preproduction so we can hopefully be efficient.

Bottom line, though, is that Tim and I are having a great time getting rolling. We painted our edit suite and rewired the lighting so it really is a nice workspace. I'll grab some pix tomorrow to share with you all. We're close to finalizing our logo/image for FatMonster Films and it is a fitting mix of the repulsive/amusing that I think some of you will appreciate.

That's all at the moment. Thanks for the interest and for the continued friendship here on the board.

Brandon Rice
09-23-2007, 09:05 PM
Cool stuff Mark! Good news about your productions, and can't wait to see you and Tim's flick!

Kyle Stebbins
09-24-2007, 12:26 AM
good for you guys. its inspiring to hear about people making a living off of this business from the ground up. you've got the talent, and certainly the "repulsive/amusing" edge to keep your production company afloat.

can't wait to see you guys on the 18th.
it's going to be real.
-kyle

ps. just got a macbook, myself. what was i thinking before!?!?

Tom Marshall
09-24-2007, 02:03 AM
Hey, it's great to hear that you guys are doing well with the production company. I'm looking forward working with you guys in "In Extremis"... :beer:

DarkMatter
09-24-2007, 05:16 AM
really excited for this one Mark, keep us posted.

Mark Johnson
09-24-2007, 08:22 AM
Tommy! Tim will be shouting at you later today about the music video you're going to help us with this weekend in Hollywood. Should be a great time and we may learn something. We're planning on shooting with a mini-35 and cinema lenses and have a very talented DP. Bullis is coming down as well so things will definitely be out there this weekend.

Kyle Stebbins
09-24-2007, 05:47 PM
good luck on the NUDE shoot. should be a riot and a great learning experience.

i'm looking forward to the weekend of the 20th!
-kyle

Mark Johnson
09-26-2007, 02:33 AM
As most of you probably know, Tim and I have started a small production company here in Los Angeles. We were lucky enough to find a really great 2-bedroom apartment above a storefront in a new shopping center. The storefront is zoned commercial so we are able to run FAT MONSTER FILMS legitimately out of the space.

Tonight Blaine and Tommy came over for an impromptu open house. (Blaine is a mere 3 minutes away from us, by the way). We opened a few bottles of wine and killed off a bunch of beer while entertaining a few visitors from the west side. Among those in attendance were Stuart Ortiz, a really talented young director and Mhanna, who is a big dog hanger on at one of the big studios. It's 2:30 a.m. and Tommy and Blaine are still here going strong along with the lovely Jessie:

http://www.fatmonsterfilms.com/fatmonsterfilms.jpg

Brandon Rice
09-26-2007, 08:14 AM
Hey Mark, looking good! Nice setup.

spooky138
09-26-2007, 08:48 AM
You guys need a janitor? I work cheap!

Matty_g
09-26-2007, 11:25 AM
The new place looks great guys!

Scott Bullis
09-26-2007, 01:02 PM
Congrats Slim and Fats !

DarkMatter
09-26-2007, 04:03 PM
:shocked: Whoa, nice digs man!!!!

Jason Ramsey
09-26-2007, 08:03 PM
Nice new place you got there. Hope all is going well with your entry guys.

Later,
Jason

Mark Johnson
09-26-2007, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the compliments, guys. We're having a great time here. We've got a pretty cool music video shoot this weekend and we located a great costume resource right here in our back yard, so we're feeling good about saving ourselves a lot of wardrobe headaches. This is a crazy biz, but there ain't nothing like it, huh?

Wrathborne
09-26-2007, 08:39 PM
Christ man, you boys are sure up to no good. I look forward to th epossibility of joining the crew one day in the non too distant future...'next sunday AD...there was a guy named Joel'...I DARE anyone to finish this song ;)

Mark Johnson
09-26-2007, 09:33 PM
We're shooting a pretty damn cool music video in Hollywood this Saturday night. The concept is sort of a Tim Burtonesque wedding. Any Los Angeles-based DVXUSERs interested in helping out please let us know. The video will definitely get airplay on MTV2 and, hopefully, elsewhere .

By the way, here's our current working logo. For now, it's based on a bizarre ceramic figure Tim found at a flea market. We'll eventually re-do it but we thought it would set the proper tone for now :)

http://www.fatmonsterfilms.com/FatMonsterLogo.jpg

Jason Ramsey
09-26-2007, 09:41 PM
I like it man. I could see a little intro logo with some nice little stop motion or something... Don't mind me :)

I like it though.

Jason

Mark Johnson
09-26-2007, 11:05 PM
Actually, we are doing a little animation that has the cigar smoke drifting up and then he clicks the remote at the camera and the image goes to snow. Its pretty cool.

Jason Ramsey
09-26-2007, 11:09 PM
Cool. I'd like to see it when you get it done if you don't mind....

Later,
Jason

Kyle Stebbins
09-27-2007, 07:54 AM
looks sick guys.
all that stuff already painted on the wall?!

Mark Johnson
09-28-2007, 06:27 PM
This afternoon we made a run by Wooden Nickel to pick up our lighting/grip rental and we ran into John Hermann and some of his crew. They were getting some extras for a shoot they're doing in Santa Clarita that sounded pretty upscale (they had a damn Panavision in the car if that's any indication of the budget).

By the way, John co-produced and acted in a short horror flick that is in competition on the new Chiller channel. As a fellow DVXUSER (and a great guy all round) I urge all of you to visit the site and watch his film as well as vote on it: http://chillertv.com/Dare_To_Direct/Video_Gallery/31575.shtml (http://chillertv.com/Dare_To_Direct/Video_Gallery/31575.shtml)

Anyway, here's a pic I snapped at the rental house with my iPhone. This is Taylor Wigton, Joey and John Hermann:

http://www.archivisuals.com/TaylorJoeyJohn.jpg

Brandon Rice
09-28-2007, 07:20 PM
Cool stuff! They're shooting in my hometown, nice.

Mark Johnson
09-29-2007, 08:41 AM
Snapped this pic of the dazed Scott Bullis and Scott Enberg on our living room floor this a.m.

http://archivisuals.com/bullisenberg.jpg

Both Scotts flew down yesterday from San Francisco to crew our music video shoot this weekend. Bullis cooked one of his famous meals last night at midnight and we all sat down and watched a copy of Battle Royale that Enberg brought with him.

Looks like the shoot is going to have a nice cadre of DVXUSERs in attendance. Matty G is coming in town and it looks like Kholi is going to be fresh off a plane from Georgia but will be coming by tonight. Blaine has a meeting in L.A. and plans to stop in afterwards and the ever essential TommyInLA (Tom Marshall) is going to be acting in the concept part of the video.

I am reminded all over again how much I love being able to shoot in L.A. because there are so many people willing to help out in exchange for returned favors on their own projects as well as having a huge talent pool that is willing to work for next to nothing simply out of love of the craft and a desire to get ahead in the biz.

Although this is a low budget project we have assembled a really good and hard working cast/crew of forty-plus persons. The band has been great to work with and they've lined up rotation for the video in both Japan and Mexico where they are huge. Obviously, we're all hoping they break over here so they can hire us for a bigger video on their next single.

We're shooting at a really cool loft with a lot of space to work in:

http://www.archivisuals.com/gowerloft.jpg

Turns out that Omega Cinema Props is only 3 blocks away so we got some great stuff to dress the place with. It's a night shoot so we will be blasting a bunch of lights from the roof through the windows that hopefully will set up some nifty shadow/backlighting effects. We'll post some BTS tomorrow if all goes well.

Oh, by the way, we're shooting with a Brevis 35 HD bundle that Dennis of Cinevate was kind enough to FedEx to us. I can't say enough about how accomodating Cinevate has been.

Ciao!

Mark and Tim

Brandon Rice
09-29-2007, 09:12 AM
Dude, awesome stuff! I have a good feeling about this video! Can't wait to see it!

Weston
09-29-2007, 07:54 PM
I'm really looking forward to your movie. You fellows do quality stuff...i'm sure its gonna be awesome.

Wrathborne
09-29-2007, 10:12 PM
Bullis! You look funny in the sleeping bag you video game hating goober!

Blaine
09-30-2007, 09:00 AM
It was a great time last night (music video)...practically a DVXUser meeting. Several of the folks from the desert showed up, too. Looks like Mark and Tim were getting some good images.

Dennis Wood
09-30-2007, 01:16 PM
Mark, we'll be looking forward to some footage and your feedback on the Brevis :-) Here's to Fedex and Saturday delivery :thumbsup:

Kholi
09-30-2007, 01:51 PM
I finally met more DVXusers. LoL.

I saw my first Brevis in action last night. Retains a lot of light!

Nice meeting you guys, finally.

Matty_g
09-30-2007, 02:17 PM
we all know your secret identity kholi.

Mark Johnson
09-30-2007, 02:32 PM
Everybody is still sleeping (didn't get home until 8:30 this morning) but I'm up enjoying a beer here at Fat Monster Films nerve center. Last night was a great time especially because of the generosity of so many DVXUSERs who contributed their time and gear. Matty, Luis and Brian stayed the whole night and both Blaine and Kholi jammed with us until the wee hours as well.

Tommy was rad as a priest ... disturbingly so. Here's a couple frames uncorrected:

http://www.archivisuals.com/TommyPriest.jpg

We had 45 to 50 people on set (Tim will have to give me the true count) and it was a brutal night for those unused to the strict regimen of power napping and ceral malt beverage fortification that I adhere to:

http://www.archivisuals.com/girls.jpg

Here's some more random images:

http://www.archivisuals.com/random.jpg

Mark Johnson
09-30-2007, 02:42 PM
Here's a couple pros at work (Steve Parker and Scott Enberg)

http://www.archivisuals.com/DPandAC.jpg

Mark Johnson
09-30-2007, 02:49 PM
A couple more: TOP: Director Tim Hyten chatting with fellow auteur Stuart Ortiz and Maha -- Mahha -- Mahand -- um, let's just call him Mike.
BELOW: DP Steve Parker with the HVX/Brevis rig:

http://www.archivisuals.com/morebts.jpg

Kyle Stebbins
09-30-2007, 06:25 PM
grabs look phenomenal.

Wrathborne
09-30-2007, 07:46 PM
Fuck yeah. Holy shit Mark, I'm impressed many times over. I cant wait to see some of Tims footage.

Brandon Rice
09-30-2007, 11:36 PM
Nice grabs homie! Set looks fun too...

Do I smell a disturbingly dark video?

Mark Johnson
10-01-2007, 05:00 PM
Hey guys ...

We finished our music video shoot this morning after another marathon all-nighter. We found ourselves shooting the performance portion of the video at 3:30 a.m. and Tim made the good call of shooting the drummer's parts first "just in case the cops came." ... They came. ... Turned out they were a pair of really laid back and understanding officers who let us finish a couple run-throughs before making us turn down the synch track and cut out the drums.

Yeah, Brandon, it is a disturbingly dark video, the concept portion of which takes place during a pretty twisted wedding. We tried to include off-kilter imagery without appearing goofy or trite. Here's some raw frames without color correction:

http://www.archivisuals.com/brevis.jpg

Mark Johnson
10-01-2007, 05:15 PM
Here's a couple snaps from the new iPhone last night:

http://www.archivisuals.com/markandtim.jpg

http://www.archivisuals.com/markanddolly.jpg

No rude cracks about riding the dolly please!

Brandon Rice
10-01-2007, 06:09 PM
ha ha cool stuff Mark! Can't wait to see this thing cut! If the music is anything like I think it is... I'll be interested to watch it.

Matty_g
10-01-2007, 06:15 PM
i never heard the track but the bassist told us that it was "pop punk/new wave"

Brandon Rice
10-01-2007, 06:25 PM
Sweet. What was your position on the crew?

Kholi
10-01-2007, 06:28 PM
Grabs are up! weee!

I got a question for you dudes: In the fifth still down, right side of the frame there's this glassy smear-like texture. I'm probably the only one that can see it, but it doesn't look like lens fall off.

I thought that the Brevis aligned perfectly, any idea what that might be? I noticed it a bit on the Samsung screen during the "Kiss" sequence. It was all on the right side and felt like smear or "glassy", if that makes any sense.

I notice it a lot in Brevis footage.

Matty_g
10-01-2007, 06:33 PM
Sweet. What was your position on the crew?
I think officially i was "the guy who climbed out on the roof to move lights, and who slept on the floor"

Blaine
10-01-2007, 06:48 PM
Hey, is that Phil checking out the cleavage? :grin:

And Kelly is DEFINITELY HOT!!!

Brandon Rice
10-01-2007, 07:02 PM
I think officially i was "the guy who climbed out on the roof to move lights, and who slept on the floor"

ha ha sweet! :thumbsup: :cheesy:

Mark Johnson
10-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Ok, last note about our music video shoot and then we'll return to the regularly scheduled program (In Extremis). Being an old rocker myself (played in bands from 1971 through about 87), I have a lot of opinions about musicianship (and the lack thereof) in current rock music. These guys are, in my humble opinion, the real deal as far as writing commercially viable songs. I'd call them more "power pop" if I had to list a genre and several of their tunes reminded me of some Coldplay or Goo Goo Dolls material. If you are inclined, please visit their myspace page where you can play most of their cuts. (the video we produced is for WE CAN GET INTO THIS):

http://www.myspace.com/nude

Tom Marshall
10-02-2007, 05:42 PM
I agree with that. I've been playing guitar for about 18 years now and starting my musical thing with the piano when I was 6, which was... well, over 20 years ago... and the guys from Nude are very talented musicians and I'm sure they'll go far in this business...

Brandon Rice
10-02-2007, 05:58 PM
Their tunes are pretty nice dude!

Kyle Stebbins
10-02-2007, 06:13 PM
Being an old rocker myself

It's true. Mark is a very talented musician:

http://www.stebbinsdigital.com/JohnsonStebbinsHeartAndSoul.mov

good times!
kyle

Slimothy
10-02-2007, 07:55 PM
Hey Everybody,
Just got time to settle down and check out the new posts. I didn't even know Mark posted some grabs. I really like them and it has gotten me excited about editing (which shall commence before long.) I wanted to just say a HUGE thanks to Matty G, Louis, Blaine, Brian, Tommy for really sticking it out. Matty G was risking his life, whilst Brian was risking his lights!

Thanks to Kholi for stopping by, it was great seeing you. My mind is severly hazy from this weekend and a bit from the whiskey last night.

It was a fun/hectic/crazy shoot and I hope the final product rocks.

HUGE thanks to Brevis. I frickin love that adapter. The size, ease of use, image quality is just mind blowing at it's price point. I've worked w/ the Mini 35 a few times and honestly didn't notice any huge difference. Great product and I seriously recommend it.

Tim

swaggums
10-03-2007, 01:24 AM
Tim,

No sleep, delayed flights, and subsisting only on Olive Garden meals...

The least you can do is return my calls!

Nice pics Mark. I'll add those photos to my Parker shrine. That guy is awesome to work with.

Slimothy
10-03-2007, 08:51 AM
Hey Scott,
Where'd you get the name Swaggums?? lol.

I'll hit you up today and we'll arrange to get those P2 Cards up there.

Tim.

Mark Johnson
10-06-2007, 08:46 AM
Tim and I are in South Georgia this weekend. We came down Thursday and have some forensic shoots both down here and in Atlanta. However, this weekend we are attending the Dooly County Big Pig Jig and are members of the championship barbecue cooking team PRIME TIME SWINE. There is no adequate way to describe the madness of this event. Teams build these permanent structures that they compete out of every year. The place resembles a frontier town and it is 24 hour/round the clock barbecue and beer drinking. Simply amazing.

Actually, the booth across from us is a bunch of Atlanta-based filmmakers who cook under the name Motion PIGtures. They've got a wireless network going so I'm sending you this directly from the Pig Jig this morning.

http://www.archivisuals.com/timprimetime.JPG
http://www.archivisuals.com/mark.JPG
http://www.archivisuals.com/battleflag.JPG
http://www.archivisuals.com/drinkernotafighter.JPG
http://www.archivisuals.com/soldier.JPG

Mark Harris
10-06-2007, 08:57 AM
You guys make me miss LA. Want to come back out and hang with you cats...

Mark Johnson
10-06-2007, 09:24 AM
Mark, this place has to be seen to be believed. We want to come back next year and shoot footage. You should come with us. Our team leader is a good ol boy and if you look up Redneck in the dictionary there's a picture of Billy. He says he'd like to have another Yankee on the team as we seem to be interesting curiosities for the locals. He says one from New York would be especially prized, so plan on next October meeting us in Atlanta!

Mark Johnson
10-06-2007, 09:37 AM
Here's some more pics from the Dooly County Pig Jig:

http://www.archivisuals.com/pig.JPG
http://www.archivisuals.com/motionpigtures.JPG
http://www.archivisuals.com/barbecue.JPG
http://www.archivisuals.com/injection.JPG
http://www.archivisuals.com/volks.JPG
http://www.archivisuals.com/trophies.JPG

We've been having judges come by our booth and Tim and I have been pretending we know what the hell we're doing. Tim has also learned to say "shee-it" properly to the satisfaction of the locals.

Blaine
10-08-2007, 08:28 AM
Shee-it, I love that Veedub barbecue. Only in the south...:beer:

Brandon Rice
10-08-2007, 08:36 AM
That's one scary looking pig!!

Glideshot
10-08-2007, 08:40 AM
That Beetle Bar-B-Q car is absolutely the Best...Hilarious!

Joops
10-08-2007, 08:46 AM
Gross! I love it!

Mark Johnson
10-09-2007, 06:50 AM
We got back from Georgia late last night after finishing a quick shoot in Macon. I have to say that it sure feels good to be back in La La land.

We're getting organized to shoot In Extremis next weekend. Kyle Stebbins is flying out to crew with us, as is Zach Rathbun, another good friend from the midwest.

TommyInLA has the lead role and we've added Vito LaMorte to play a supporting role in the short. We have a small role for an actress to cast, but should have that sewed up today or tomorrow.

http://www.archivisuals.com/TomVito.jpg

Given that we're going down to the wire with a ridiculous shooting/editing schedule the very last week of the contest, we will be storyboarding the shots tightly so we can hopefully shoot more efficiently than we ever have before. (that's the game plan anyway, but you know how that goes)

If things don't work out I can tell you right now that it will be the fault of Stebbs and Bullis.

Mark Johnson
10-11-2007, 07:17 PM
Just a note that we've got a quickie site set up for Fat Monster Films: www.fatmonsterfilms.com (http://www.fatmonsterfilms.com)

We're deep into preproduction for IN EXTREMIS and look forward to some wild shooting next week. ... Wish us luck.

Kholi
10-11-2007, 07:23 PM
welcome back kiddies. Hope ya had fun in Atlanta! I know I enjoyed my time spent back home.

deedive
10-15-2007, 01:57 AM
We're deep into preproduction for IN EXTREMIS and look forward to some wild shooting next week. ... Wish us luck.

GOOD LUCK! u probably dont need it

Blaine
10-15-2007, 08:22 PM
Time management, fellas, time management. :Drogar-Happy(DBG):

Brandon Rice
10-15-2007, 08:24 PM
Well guys looking forward to hopefully hanging on set this weekend!

Charli
10-16-2007, 09:18 AM
Mark - looks like you guys are, uh, hog-wild.

Mark Johnson
10-16-2007, 02:11 PM
Charli, did you write a script for one of the entries this time around? Would love to know you're involved. I still remember fondly the extraordinary stuff you promoting last year's horrorfest entry.

Charli
10-16-2007, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the kind words, Mark. I actually thought of you the other day, wondered what you were up to. I hope all is well with you and your son. Next time you are out to LA, swing by Santa Monica, look me up, we'll have lunch (that's so Hollywood of me to say).

I do not have an entry up at this time. Barlow and I are still working on our Birds of Prey short film (leftover from the spyfest). It's slow going, it seems, but we will get it done. We're having to reshoot another scene, hate that, but sometimes it's necessary. Once it's completed, Barlow and I will toss it out to some film festivals. Nice to have a guy right there to dive into the costs of these things.

I can't wait to see your entry, btw, hope it does well.

Mark Johnson
10-17-2007, 05:58 AM
I will take you up on that offer Charli. I love Santa Monica and get over there with some frequency. And if you ever find yourself on the east side of the basin (Rancho Cucamonga) we'd love to take you to lunch or coffee as well.

We're shooting this weekend and have a tight no-room-for-error post schedule next week. I can't say enough about working with Tommy. He's a gem and I think that once people see this short they are going to want to cast him in a lot of stuff.

Simon Höfer
10-17-2007, 06:00 AM
I hope you can pull it off! I really cant wait to see this one :) Keep it going.

Mark Johnson
10-17-2007, 06:08 AM
Thanks Nomis! We are happy with how our pre-production planning has gone and this is definitely going to be a somewhat unique entry. Whether we can pull it off is the big unknown but I am mindful that its always worth it to shoot for the moon even if you crash and burn.

Besides, simple self esteem demands that we finish ours now that hell has frozen over and Brandon appears to actually have completed an entry :)

Blaine
10-17-2007, 11:46 AM
Besides, simple self esteem demands that we finish ours now that hell has frozen over and Brandon appears to actually have completed an entry :)Hahaha, that DOES kinda put the pressure on, doesn't it...:beer:

Mark Johnson
10-17-2007, 01:11 PM
Blaine, thanks for those wonderful notes on the script. You are a damn good friend and a talented writer to boot. Tim and I were wondering if you and Tommy might be available for a script discussion meeting tomorrow night. I'll send you both PMs too.

Brandon Rice
10-17-2007, 02:23 PM
Besides, simple self esteem demands that we finish ours now that hell has frozen over and Brandon appears to actually have completed an entry :)

HA H HA :thumbsup:

Mark, will PM ya about Sunday, tonight.

Tom Marshall
10-17-2007, 05:41 PM
You are a damn good friend and a talented writer to boot.

I'll agree with that. :beer:

MOVIE MASTER
10-17-2007, 06:03 PM
DAMN STRAIGHT! 666

Mark Johnson
10-17-2007, 09:11 PM
Can it be? ???? Has MM returned?

Welcome back, dude. Nice avatar pic.

Brandon Rice
10-17-2007, 09:12 PM
DAMN STRAIGHT! 666

Movie Master cometh! Awesomeness!! :beer:

Kyle Stebbins
10-19-2007, 09:42 AM
see you guys tonight!

Brandon Rice
10-19-2007, 10:25 AM
Sweet. Kyle in Cali!

mentatDUKE
10-19-2007, 07:30 PM
Those pigs. I'm already scared. Good luck w/ the aggressive post schedule.

Mark Johnson
10-20-2007, 05:19 PM
Mistah Kyle has arrived from Knee-Brask-ah wid his bff Tony. We immediately put them to work building a structure required for our shoot and reports are that it actually was acceptably constructed. Tomorrow is big shoot day and we'll get some frames up for ya all to see afterwards.

That is all.

Brandon Rice
10-20-2007, 06:40 PM
Sad I cannot make it Mark. I hate schedules.

Kyle Stebbins
10-21-2007, 08:04 PM
woooo!!!!

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/17743/1193022836.jpg

Brandon Rice
10-21-2007, 08:48 PM
How'd the shoot go?

I am happy I didn't go today... had to evacuate my house this afternoon!

Slimothy
10-22-2007, 09:31 AM
Why did you have to evacuate?

The shoot went really well actually. The actors did a great job and we didn't run out of light this time. That's a welcome change. Blaine, Stebbs and his friend Tony came out and helped us and it was sort of a TTN reunion.

We've got a week, so we'll see how it goes!

Brandon Rice
10-22-2007, 10:54 AM
Why did you have to evacuate?

Wildfires in my area man... came 20 ft. from my house.

Kyle Stebbins
10-22-2007, 02:16 PM
:violent5:

Brandon Rice
10-22-2007, 02:27 PM
it was crazy dude's.

Any screengrabs from the shoot?

Mark Johnson
10-22-2007, 04:27 PM
I'm not sure what we shot but we are going to let the frames tell us how they wish to be assembled.

Brandon Rice
10-22-2007, 04:28 PM
Wow. hehe.

Mark Johnson
10-22-2007, 05:48 PM
Pay attention youngsters. Lots of pro techniques exhibited here.

http://www.archivisuals.com/pointing.jpg

Photo by Kyle Stebbins

Kholi
10-22-2007, 06:00 PM
You guys are crazy.

Brandon Rice
10-22-2007, 06:26 PM
Love it! ha ha

Blaine
10-22-2007, 10:57 PM
Somehow that rebukes the old saying that you can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose...

Jack Daniel Stanley
10-22-2007, 11:56 PM
The latter half of which is completely erroneous, of course.

Far stranger things go on between consenting adults.

:cheesy:

Mark Johnson
10-23-2007, 07:03 AM
Some more frames clicked by Master Kyle:

http://www.archivisuals.com/morebts.jpg

Brandon Rice
10-23-2007, 08:07 AM
Looks like a lot of fun! Any chance we can see some grabs? :thumbsup:

Mark Johnson
10-24-2007, 01:06 AM
Set call tomorrow morning at 10:00 a.m. for TommyInLA, Blaine, Bullis, Zach and Tim. Stebbs and Tony may still be at the Ontario airport from what I hear.

I am going to stay up tonight with a hose to spray the embers that are blowing onto the Fat Monster Films office roof.

Mark Johnson
10-24-2007, 01:29 AM
http://www.archivisuals.com/makemovies.jpg

Jack Daniel Stanley
10-24-2007, 03:42 AM
heh heh, wrong cost ...

Mark Johnson
10-24-2007, 10:07 AM
heh heh, wrong cost ...

Yes, indeed. The cost of our production was extraordinarily high and very wrong. But it is, indeed, the cost of freedom ... the veritable cost of doing business in a free society... the high cost of vanity and greed.

When Jack Daniel Stanley speaks about cost, you must listen and listen closely to understand what he says. Jack speaks in metaphors and in tongues, sometimes both at the same time.

Brandon Rice
10-24-2007, 10:09 AM
Jack speaks in metaphors and in tongues, sometimes both at the same time.

Ah yes, I remember you interpreting him during last year's horrofest.

Blaine
10-24-2007, 10:21 PM
I just left the Fat Monster Studios. The guys have finally started post production. They still have one more shot to shoot but figure they have plenty of time to get it. Tom (tommyinla) just left to take his brother Chris to the airport. Chris did a great job and was a lifesaver. The Macs are smoking as they work on the edit. It's always nice to see Bullis. Zach's leaving tomorrow and by now Kyle and Tony are back in the land of corn.

Brandon Rice
10-24-2007, 10:23 PM
Wow guys, nice turnaround! Looking forward to your short :thumbsup:

Mark Johnson
10-25-2007, 04:50 AM
Yes, indeed, we be smoking now (and also working occasionally on the short). Gotta say how much we appreciate Blaine. The man has the best sandbags in town ... and a few fine ideas to go with them. Tommy and his brother are princes of the realm and we are all blown away by their performances.

I'm writng this at 4:30 a.m. amidst prodigous numbers of Tecate cans and Stella Artois bottles. Its been a long night with more than a few instances of sorting through chicken entrails and consulting the tarot deck to figure out how to cut around the coverage that Tim didn't get (yes, it was all Tim's fault as he kept shouting 'we'll get it in post' in spite of my pleading and begging to the contrary.)

We miss Kyle and Tony and have to give Zach up in a couple hours. And just as we were spitting in Murphy's face he dropped a forensic shoot on us that has to be done as soon as we drop Zach at the airport. So, Tim and I will drag the ever faithful Bullis to the San Pedro docks where we get to shoot tugboats and some sort of injury to a longshoreman. If we get lucky we'll be back here by 1:00 to crank up the Macs again. In spite of the deadline looming we are having a ball. Hope all of you are too.

This is your doctor, Mr. Johnson, signing off and drifting off again In Extremis.

DimmuJed
10-25-2007, 07:43 AM
There sure are a lot of posts here

Blaine
10-25-2007, 10:29 AM
And how about that Tom. Getting his hair cut to match his brother's. All for the sake of his art...

Kholi
10-25-2007, 11:49 AM
If we get lucky we'll be back here by 1:00 to crank up the Macs again. In spite of the deadline looming we are having a ball. Hope all of you are too.

You should've been done WEEKS ago! Man, your methods are totally unorthodox.

=P

Blaine
10-25-2007, 12:26 PM

=PIf it wasn't for the last minute, they'd never get anything done...:grin:

Jack Daniel Stanley
10-25-2007, 12:31 PM

=P

Says Mr. I am going to cast 4 days before the deadline, lol. :)

Kholi
10-25-2007, 12:32 PM
Says Mr. I am going to cast 4 days before the deadline, lol. :)

Hey! Please, don't call me on my hypocrisy; just roll with it.

Tom Marshall
10-25-2007, 12:37 PM
And how about that Tom. Getting his hair cut to match his brother's. All for the sake of his art...

Last time I saw my brother, his hair was half-way down his back! When I picked him up at the airport I hardly recognized him! And we look a lot alike...

I can't say enough about family and getting a chance to visit with them... it just makes things seem much better then they (probably) are... :beer:

Kyle Stebbins
10-25-2007, 06:22 PM
Tony and I had to deal with a very irritating and poorly handled delay thanks to US Airways...

Jessie dropped us off at the Ontario airport where we boarded a flight that was to depart at 12:35. After waiting on the plane for about twenty minutes we were informed of a mechanical error in the aircraft and that we'd be in the air within 15 minutes if we could all hang tight. Two hours go by, and we were still on the ground. They let us go inside the terminal to wait. Eventually they brought another aircraft to the adjacent gate and told us to board it. Total time that we lost? 5 hours!

We got to KCI around 12:30am and hopped in the sebring. After a three hour drive I was in bed, asleep. All in all, not too bad, since we had Tony's Rockapella CD.... we used to sing in a show choir together in high school and swore by that stuff. Good times.

Anyways, we both had a blast out there and really wish that we could have stayed longer. If school hadn't started back up from break on Wednesday I can guarantee we would still be out there.

Mark - Thanks, as usual, for everything. Theres no one quite like you man. I've learned a lot about filmmaking and about the world from you. I especially like your new digs... although your old place still kicked ass. I'll never forget Edna Rays!

Tim - That's wack-turtle. Let's party in the hills next time.

Blaine - I don't care what you say... Wes Anderson will someday rule the world. Great movie, too, man.

Tommy - Great job, man. You've got talent. You've also got a nice car. Chilis was great, man! SOUTH AFRICA!

Eh, this is getting lengthy. -- I had a blast out there. I'm sure we'll do it again soon. Now I'm off to brave the freezing cold winter snows of Nebraska.
Until next time...

-stebbs

Tom Marshall
10-26-2007, 12:05 AM
Tony and I had to deal with a very irritating and poorly handled delay thanks to US Airways...

Jessie dropped us off at the Ontario airport where we boarded a flight that was to depart at 12:35. After waiting on the plane for about twenty minutes we were informed of a mechanical error in the aircraft and that we'd be in the air within 15 minutes if we could all hang tight. Two hours go by, and we were still on the ground. They let us go inside the terminal to wait. Eventually they brought another aircraft to the adjacent gate and told us to board it. Total time that we lost? 5 hours!

Man, I feel your pain... I had a flight that was JUST like that last Christmas to Florida... spent 8 hours at the airport... it was miserable...

We got to KCI around 12:30am and hopped in the sebring. After a three hour drive I was in bed, asleep. All in all, not too bad, since we had Tony's Rockapella CD.... we used to sing in a show choir together in high school and swore by that stuff. Good times.

Anyways, we both had a blast out there and really wish that we could have stayed longer. If school hadn't started back up from break on Wednesday I can guarantee we would still be out there.

Mark - Thanks, as usual, for everything. Theres no one quite like you man. I've learned a lot about filmmaking and about the world from you. I especially like your new digs... although your old place still kicked ass. I'll never forget Edna Rays!

Tim - That's wack-turtle. Let's party in the hills next time.

Blaine - I don't care what you say... Wes Anderson will someday rule the world. Great movie, too, man.

Tommy - Great job, man. You've got talent. You've also got a nice car. Chilis was great, man! SOUTH AFRICA!

Thanks, man. I really appreciate that... :beer:

Eh, this is getting lengthy. -- I had a blast out there. I'm sure we'll do it again soon. Now I'm off to brave the freezing cold winter snows of Nebraska.
Until next time...

-stebbs

Yeah, we'll definitely have to do this again sometime... :)

Slimothy
10-26-2007, 01:59 AM
Production Update:

This morning we awoke at the ass crack of dawn to whisk away the final member of the hungry butt pirates. His plane left at 8:30 and in true form, we showed up around.....8:30. This of course would be fine if it weren't for the pirate carrying Robert Rodriguez's favorite weapon. That's right, a guitar with a machine gun inside. Needless to say, he missed his flight so we had to drive around and try and find another plane that was heading to his cave.

Once we tired of that adventure we headed over to San Pedro to get some work done. We could have avoided this if Tommy didn't have such a vigorous appetite for three toed prozzies and star wagons. Alas, we must make money.

After we were done "working" we headed home and I sat down with my new friend 'Mac'. Did I call that guy my friend? Well I must have forgotten about the lynching that him and his friend (fella by the name of FCP) performed on me. I ended up accidently deleting our days "work." I'm Stupid. Now Mark won't talk to me because Tommy keeps calling with more demands and we have no way to pay for all these "green m&ms'."

SO........Around 9:00 p.m. after finally finding my testacles and realizing that the clips were gone forevor, we started editing.

Any normal person would think that we're running a bit late. But anyone who knows us will tell you we're "right on schedule!"

If anyone finds my clips, pm me.

Mark Johnson
10-26-2007, 09:25 AM
Note to Kholi: whoa! Cool stuff!

This place smells like stale Hytens this morning ... business as usual. We are "listening" to the frames tell us how they want to be assembled with mixed results. Some of the frames seem to be from a completely different film than we remember shooting.

Tim has been editing on the MacBook Pro but has been getting some really weird psychodelic color effects on a bunch of clips so we're going to move him to the MacPro 8-core and see if that works better. It has, indeed, been an uneasy and stormy relationship between Tim and FCP as he attempts to move away from editing in Vegas.

There seems to be a plethora of attractive Latino women wandering outside Fat Monster Headquarters at the moment for some reason. Most of them seem to be looking for Tim and several have home pregnancy dipsticks colored pink. Don't know what all that means but I'm sure Tim will sort it out when he finished breakfast.

Mark Johnson
10-26-2007, 11:56 PM
Our upload is almost finished. Down to the wire to the last minute!

Brandon Rice
10-27-2007, 12:12 AM
Dang Mark! You guys ROCK!

Slimothy
10-27-2007, 03:40 AM
I would like to personally thank FCP for helping us along with this project. Without it I cannot see how we could have been so -down to the wire-

I would also like to thank Steve Jobs who believes that 2 steps are better than one.

Slimothy
10-27-2007, 03:40 AM
Wait...Is it Jobs or Jobbs?

I'm stupid.

Brandon Rice
10-27-2007, 09:53 AM
LOL!

AGain, congrats guys for getting this done!

Mark Johnson
10-27-2007, 10:05 AM
Hey thanks, Brandon! Man I wish we had a camera rolling last night. It was HILARIOUS!!!! Tim was trying to get things done in FCP and it was like watching a monkey run a lawn mower. Blaine was trying to help but was having about as much success as he does when his dog Charles is standing on the couch barking -- "Down Charles ..../ "Stop that Tim"

In the middle of all that insanity the band NUDE stopped by to get a copy of their music video to take to MTV. Then there were a couple other guys who brought beer by and the whole place was sort of like a cross between a sleazy tavern and a bizarro kinkos.

This place is covered with empty cans/bottles and crushed doritos all over the floor.

But it was a great time and I have to say once more that we could NOT have gotten ours done without Blaine. We owe him big-time.

Kyle Stebbins
10-27-2007, 11:05 AM
congrats on the upload!

Blaine
10-27-2007, 08:16 PM
I cannot believe that those guys made it. They basically edited the fucking thing on Friday. I swear, if it wasn't for the last minute Johnson would be completely lost. I was there for moral support and to help with possible compression problems. The movie was compressed at 11:50 an uploaded shortly thereafter.

Mark Johnson
10-29-2007, 01:58 PM
I think it was as much fun for us to watch the Marshall boys in front of the camera as it was for them to have the chance to act together again. Our only problem now is that we like Chris much better than Tom.

http://www.archivisuals.com/TomAndChrisInExtremis.jpg

Jack Daniel Stanley
10-29-2007, 02:31 PM
hahah that does look pretty cool
good use of who ya know and who they know :beer:

Tom Marshall
10-29-2007, 11:26 PM
:cheesy:

Slimothy
10-30-2007, 11:25 AM
Hey Tommy,

We're planning on having a screening party and hook up the 'puter to the big-ass plasma. You wanna come quaff some Guiness and watch the entries with Mark, Blaine, me and whatever loose women we can lure down from the desert?

Brandon Rice
10-30-2007, 12:28 PM
Screening the hallowfest flicks? Nice.

Tom Marshall
10-30-2007, 01:46 PM
Hey Tommy,

We're planning on having a screening party and hook up the 'puter to the big-ass plasma. You wanna come quaff some Guiness and watch the entries with Mark, Blaine, me and whatever loose women we can lure down from the desert?

Definitely, man. When? At your place or Blaine's?

Mark Johnson
10-30-2007, 02:57 PM
Blaine is going to come over here so come on over!

Tom Marshall
10-30-2007, 06:58 PM
Oh, tonight?

Blaine
10-30-2007, 07:13 PM
Tomorrow...:beer:

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-30-2007, 08:26 PM
I watched the documentary on that subject... is that where you got the shot from?

Nice work guys!
I'll add more later...

Cheers,

Mike

Mark Johnson
10-31-2007, 05:25 AM
I watched the documentary on that subject... is that where you got the shot from?

No, all of the shots are our own. I built a CG section of the bridge for the long lens shot. Because we were jammed and had virtually no time to do post we didn't have time to render the additional shots planned. We have a pretty sweet "helicopter" shot that would have been particularly nice so we'll have to add it after the fest is over.

Thanks for your kind words.

Brandon Rice
11-01-2007, 02:32 PM
Hey Tim, and Mark!

I thought some of the comps. and angles on your shots were AWESOME! I found the story kind of lacking... and I couldn't hardly hear the lines of the guy at the end, going through the mail... On a technical side, some of the lighting/color didn't match for your comps... but you guys pushed this out, and that's awesome! Good work :)

Slimothy
11-01-2007, 02:48 PM
Pushed this out!? Is that a proper description for weeks and weeks of sleepless nights?

psshhh..

Brandon Rice
11-01-2007, 03:49 PM
uh... sorry... I thought things got messed up, so you only had a few days to finish.

Mark Johnson
11-01-2007, 07:06 PM
Ha ha... don't let Tim mislead you Brandon. We were slaving away on rent-paying work and couldn't get to our project until the very last week. Even then we only had 3 days to really shoot and edit the sucker. So, your observations are all spot on. The last scene was actually shot only a couple hours before the upload so we didn't have time to tweak lights/sound but had to get something in with a wineglass and to tie up the story.

I'll post more info about the shoot later and I'll post a more finished version hopefully after the fest ends.

Brandon Rice
11-01-2007, 07:09 PM
Yeah, totally got that (at the end) and it made sense, just could barely hear ya...

looking forward to a finished version... and hey... ever gunna finish that SNAKE flick?:)

Mark Johnson
11-01-2007, 07:59 PM
ever gunna finish that SNAKE flick?

I've actually done quite a bit of work on the giant snake short. My nephew is also almost ready to come back on line and so I've been waiting to get him out here to shoot some final pickups and let him help me finish it.

Regarding our entry, I do regret not having a more complete and polished version but after coming close on AdFest and then giving up due to time constraints we were committed to getting a short completed here no matter how bad the crunch was.

In a lot of ways, actually, we are grateful to the circumstances becuase it sure teaches you a lot about limitations, resourcefulness and compromise. I got in the car pre-dawn on Saturday (6 days before the contest deadline) and drove to the Golden Gate by myself where I shot background plates. Then I spent the afternoon/night with my 12-year old and got a great steak and played Halo 3. The next morning I drove back down to L.A. and met the crew and actors at the airport to shoot on greenscreen. We couldn't start shooting until 2 p.m. due to some bizarre business involving delayed cheeseburgers and we lost light at 5:30 p.m. So, we had to get all of our shots in that time and had to try and match them to the background footage I shot on the bridge the day before.

We then had to jump on a little documentary project and couldn't get back to this until Tuesday when we realized we needed some pickup shots, which Tommy was gracious enough to come out for. That was basically that until Thursday evening when we got free to start editing/compositing. Thankfully Blaine brought a copy of keylight, which helped us pull keys SO MUCH BETTER than my previous keyers. Even so, we were pretty much screwed as far as time to get everything done. We feel pretty good that we were able to piece together somewhat of a story arc under the circumstances.

Oh, and one last little story. I was all over the bridge using a microphone fishpole with the HVX on the end to hold out to get shots of the bridge over the rail. There really isn't any other way to get those shots so they had to all be stabilized of course to use them. Anyway, I was all up and down the bridge with no difficulties other than strange stares. it wasn't until at the end of the session when I was in the parking lot and I saw an old piece of bridge railing. I decided to get a closeup of the rivets and, wouldn't you know, THAT was the point when the bridge patrol came up and kicked me out! I could have been laying dynamite on the bridge itself with no interruption but they made sure to protect the parking lot railing!

Billy Pilgrim
11-01-2007, 08:01 PM
Haha, this was awesome, guys. Tom and his "twin brother" should get together with Donald and Charlie Kaufman and make a film.

Mark Johnson
11-01-2007, 08:06 PM
Haha, this was awesome, guys. Tom and his "twin brother" should get together with Donald and Charlie Kaufman and make a film.

Yeah, it was really fun shooting those scenes and Tom was awesome to work with.

I found your film really interesting because of its them in relation to ours. I'm glad someone else chose that flavor of "darkness" as a theme instead of the more traditional ghoul/gore aproaches.

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-01-2007, 08:30 PM
On a second look... you guys did a really nice job. I seemed to get it a little better the second time around. Nicely shot as well.

Good work guys!

Mike

Brandon Rice
11-01-2007, 08:38 PM
I've actually done quite a bit of work on the giant snake short. My nephew is also almost ready to come back on line and so I've been waiting to get him out here to shoot some final pickups and let him help me finish it.

Fantastic Mark! It's great to hear Brett (right?) is doing so well now! Amazing!

Praise God! :)

MOVIE MASTER
11-01-2007, 08:45 PM
THIS MOVIE WAS EXTREME I THOUGHT THE GUY AT THE END WAS GOING TO GET PUSHED! 666

mentatDUKE
11-01-2007, 08:51 PM
I liked the twist at the end. Why didn't he open all his mail, dammit!? :)

Slimothy
11-01-2007, 09:24 PM
As Mark said, this short was a great experience. The fact that it was fun was enough, but the experience you gain with attaining a goal that seems terribly daunting is just priceless. There really is no way we should have been able to turn something in and last time we just gave up. This time we stuck to it and hopefully next time we'll have more time to devote.

On top of that, we had the cast/crew over, screened the films, got drunk and threw hard candy at passing kids. It was a great way to end it.

Tim.

Jack Daniel Stanley
11-02-2007, 03:19 AM
Haha nice work guys.

The bridge stuff looking down at the water looked great.

I like the simple over the shoulder ending.

Good subject and size for a short.

Glad you stuck it out for sure.

:beer:

cinealma
11-02-2007, 03:25 PM
REVIEW:
Nice looking film. Obviously had you had more time you could have fleshed out the story more. I liked all the comp stuff. Seriously, I envy guys who can do that and make it look good. Good job. Hats off to Tom and Tom! :beer:

FILMMAKER-TO-FILMMAKER:
It's really neat how you guys can piece stuff together. VFX doesn't have to be all about explosions and laser blasts, and you guys prove that. Very cool about going out to the bridge and getting those shots.

And kudos for burning the midnight oil to get this into the fest! :thumbsup:

Tom Marshall
11-02-2007, 04:39 PM
Haha. Yeah, me and my "twin" had a lot of fun being part of this... :beer:

Marlon Ladd
11-03-2007, 08:53 AM
I also thought it was pretty cool how you guys did all the bridge stuff. And don't we all feel like that - we won't jump, because we know as soon as we do that all of our dreams would have come true. LOL.

Cool Lights
11-03-2007, 05:21 PM
Wild. Nice f/x. Twilight Zone type story with twist at the end. Super idea on the fishpole out from the bridge to get the background plate. Otherwise you would have had some serious compositing to do to make a background plate that looked halfway realistic.

Maximus
11-03-2007, 06:40 PM
Not your best work, but, you got another one under your belt. It felt rushed, and having read your thread, I know it was. Hope you have more time on the next one, as I know you can do much better. Look forward to it.

Mark Johnson
11-04-2007, 10:16 AM
http://www.archivisuals.com/inextremis01.jpg

http://www.archivisuals.com/inextremis02.jpg

bosindy
11-04-2007, 10:33 AM
Hey Mark, quite an achievement technically and I admire that. I like the effects you pulled off. Very ambitious given your time issues. Obviously you could have made a better film with more time. The one glaring thing at the end was the sound of your phone conversation. Good work. Hope to grab a beer next time I am in LA.

Jim

Mark Johnson
11-04-2007, 10:42 AM
Jim,

That would be wonderful to grab a beer or four when you're out here.

Regarding the sound and lighting at the end, we truly grabbed that scene in the final hours before we started uploading. Tim was assembling the damn thing in FCP and Blaine and I ran upstairs and quickly grabbed a wineglass and tripod to shoot the thing completely ad lib and off the cuff. We slapped the footage into FCP and rendered it out before we realized you couldn't hear squat! Too late! We had to upload!

Kholi
11-04-2007, 04:25 PM
Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' about. Always the best in B T S.

It only means more time equals better product. I know what you're sayin, I did the SAME THING. Next time we'll just have to get the spark or start earlier, yeah?

Mark Johnson
11-04-2007, 11:26 PM
Kholi, you are exactly right. Next time we are going to definitely front-weight ourselves so that we don't end up having to make the Sophie's choice between work and fest. Truth is, that even though we were really tied up, we could and should have used more time to plan and pre-produce.

But that's what makes this all such a good proving ground.

Blaine
11-04-2007, 11:30 PM
Truth is, that even though we were really tied up, we could and should have used more time to plan and pre-produce.And I'm going to hold them to that...:beer:

George_Bailey
11-05-2007, 09:10 AM
Another "writer in pain" theme. Funny how writers resort to that theme so often. Maybe another example of "write what you know"?

Nice opening titles, but I must have failed my Evelyn Wood speed reading course, because I couldn't get through them all in time. But they looked good and served to quickly establish the main character's angst. From a story persepctive, I would have liked to establish the alter ego role a little better (even later on in the piece) so we knew that it was the main character's alter ego and not some lookalike buddy simply enjoying the view with him.

I wasn't too sure about the need for the bridge security guy. Did we really need him for the story? I don't think so. Make him do something next time - like running towards him to try and keep the guy from jumping.

Something odd with the tighter green screen shots. Some shaking and shimmering? But the wider shots greescreen were better.

And I really asked myself - did they really throw a dummy off a bridge - and how much poo are they going to get in for that? But - unfortunately - I was wondering whether you threw a dummy off a bridge - not "did the guy really jump".

Audio on the final telephone call was hard to hear.

In the end, this was an interesting concept, but I'm not sure it was really pulled off. But it was good to see and reflect on and I thank you making it.

Now I have to go and check the mail for rejection letters ...

J.R. Hudson
11-05-2007, 10:22 AM
I have some mixed feelings about this film

Storywise, I felt it was just right. A sad story ending in darkness and despair. Not a single shot was wasted and the film was tight. I had some reservations with the technical aspects though

The Audio really didn't shine on this one and in the last scene it really hurt it. Another thing I see in these fests are filmmakers that seemto be afraid to pull the camera back and reveal a world to the audience

When characters are speaking, it does not always have to be Close Up, Extreme Close up, Medium ....

I feel the frame gets muddled quite a bit from this approach. At 1:15 in, we finally pull back a bit and are given a glimpse into the films world; knowing already they are on a bridge.

Another thing that distracted me was the 'habitual beheadings' on every shot. Head room in the frame is paramount I think; and this film just went Jihad on that concept.

The score was very nice and worked very well for me but the audio of the dialogue did not seem well matched; whether it be from peaking levels or the final cut playing the track to loud.

The opening credits, for once in this fest, were worth the time it took to show them. Not only do we get some credits, but we get imagery that supports the short film; the rejection letters and the great use of title montage 'REJECTED!' 'WE REGRET!'

One shot I did enjoy was the POV of the dude getting ready to jump; I think that really worked well.

A lot of familiar names on this project and I am surprised at how many elements didn't come together.

Overall ? I still enjoyed it. Perfectly timed, simple and effective story. Sad. Fits Hallowfest perfectly.

The compositing was a great use of creativty !

Mark Johnson
11-05-2007, 10:48 AM
I wasn't too sure about the need for the bridge security guy. Did we really need him for the story? I don't think so. Make him do something next time - like running towards him to try and keep the guy from jumping.

Yeah, we actually shot that but simply didn't have the time to include it. We have a whole scene where the officer is trying to engage Patrick and his alter ego is making snide comments including my favorite line when the alter ego sarcastically says "Patrick! Don't go into the light! Don't go into the light!"

Mssrs Bailey and Hudson both offer some extremely valid comments and critiques and we are VERY grateful for such thoughtful comments. John, your discussion regarding camera framing is very much appreciated and worth considering.

We're happy with what we could do given the little time we had and I, for one, am very confident the VFX could all be dialed in with a little more time. I hope to be able to re-key the scenes and add the missing ones at some point.

Again, I can't thank all of you enough for the very thoughtful comments.

Mark Johnson
11-06-2007, 03:22 PM
Don't recall if we posted the link to the music video Tim and I produced for the band NUDE (and in which TommyInLA appears). Take a look if you're inclined (click the image on our home page): www.fatmonsterfilms.com (http://www.fatmonsterfilms.com).

bosindy
11-06-2007, 03:39 PM
Hey mark, that video looks pro. I really like the color and the shots are cut well. Nice camera movement as well. I saw you post a few grabs from this and I though it was your Hallows fest entry at the time. Nice work.

Mark Johnson
11-06-2007, 08:12 PM
Hey mark, that video looks pro. I really like the color and the shots are cut well. Nice camera movement as well.

We appreciate it so much when people who shoot so well themselves see something they like in our stuff. In this case our choice of hiring Steve Parker to DP the project was one of the best decisions we made.

Today we learned the band is getting decent airplay on KROQ so hopefully they'll take off and hire us to produce the next single with a bigger budget!

Brandon Rice
11-06-2007, 08:28 PM
Don't recall if we posted the link to the music video Tim and I produced for the band NUDE (and in which TommyInLA appears). Take a look if you're inclined (click the image on our home page): www.fatmonsterfilms.com (http://www.fatmonsterfilms.com).

HOT song! HOT video! Good work Mark and crew!! :thumbsup:

Tom Marshall
11-06-2007, 10:30 PM
We appreciate it so much when people who shoot so well themselves see something they like in our stuff. In this case our choice of hiring Steve Parker to DP the project was one of the best decisions we made.

Today we learned the band is getting decent airplay on KROQ so hopefully they'll take off and hire us to produce the next single with a bigger budget!

Awesome! :beer:

Darkline
11-07-2007, 06:28 AM
Hi Mark and Tim,

sorry it's taken me a while to get to this one.

I just read your BTS page and I thought the guy falling off the bridge was someone doing a bunjie jump so you totally had me fooled on that final shot. Never knew it was cg. Thats inspiring because I've got a similar shot I want to do for another short. Was that rag doll physics or something on your jumper? True some of the final compositing looked rushed, but you can see the potential it had to be a convincing and polished looking piece.

Get in early next time! because you've got the chops to pull off some ambitious stuff :-)

It's much braver to do what do did than sit on the sidelines like I did.

Hope you're in the next frst, and I hope I can be too!

Mark Johnson
11-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Was that rag doll physics or something on your jumper?

I used Endorphin by NaturalMotion. Although ragdoll physics would have certainly worked, Endorphin allows you to apply true behaviors that can look more realistic. Here's how the motion was generated in Endorphin:

http://www.fatmonsterfilms.com/simthumb.jpg (http://www.fatmonsterfilms.com/EndorphinSimSm.mov)

Note that the 3D render shown there is without the proper lighting or the cloth simulation on the shirt that would have sold it much more than you see there. As always, the only thing that stands in the way of realism is time and, unfortunately, we just didn't have that much of it for this project.

I have a whole bunch of halfway finished effects for this project so I hope to work on it in my spare time along with some of the other still-unfinished effects in past productions.

iSTy
11-07-2007, 01:14 PM
yep all looked good, but the ending was rather obvious.
cheers

andoguru
11-08-2007, 07:49 PM
Hey MarkJohnson,

I thought the story was okay. It was shot pretty well, and the green screen looked decent but I guess I never felt anything for the character and the ending was pretty easy to see coming?

I think you probably could show the story better if there was more shots of the guy maybe before he goes to the bridge to kill himself.

Or you could start the film with him jumping and then we find out later why.

The main actor was pretty good and the dialogue was solid. Good Job with that.

Laters,
Ando

david jerome
11-20-2007, 09:34 PM
Hey Mark & Tim, I finally got around to commenting. I really enjoyed the film. It really had a nice feeling of suspense. The bridge jump was very believable. I'm intriqued by the subject. I wrote a short story awhile back about a jumper on the Sunshine Skyway where I live. I think it ranks about number 4 in suicides. Your movie got me interested in the Goden Gate. I didn't realize there was a documentary recently done on the bridge showing the actual jumpers and interviewing their families. That is bizarre and I will have to check it out. I went back and looked at the film after watching it and couldn't believe without the opening and the last shot it was only 1:13 long. You showed alot and told alot with very little screen time. Your energy is unstoppable. Looking forward to see what you guys do next.