PDA

View Full Version : MAC FCP Virgin

JasperReynolds
07-29-2007, 04:40 PM
So what are the best options to buying used or Al a carte? the mac book pro....the desktop version. Please show some pointers if you know of anyl

Any known solutions or folks selling out there?

Thanks

JasperReynolds
07-31-2007, 07:52 AM
Also hearing throughts on the AVID with HP hardware solution instead of going with FCP v6 and the MAC. In fact even the posts on Apple's website has a lot of people upset around the compression debacle in the new version.

This film will be shot in HD on a HVX 200 camera. Again, just trying to get some price ideas or pointers.

Thanks so much!

Luis Caffesse
07-31-2007, 08:59 AM
I have to be honest - I don't really understand your question.

"the best options to buying used or Al a carte?"

And what "compression debacle" are you talking about?

David Saraceno
07-31-2007, 09:56 AM
Been using FCP since before v.1.

I don't know what you mean about a "compression debacle" at all. FCP 5x-6 unwraps the mxf files and rewraps them in QT without any resolution loss.

FCS2 is one of the best bargains out there.

JasperReynolds
08-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the responses.

I had heard about compression issues using FCP 6 that's all. I was hoping someone much smarter than me would have some insight. After reading this sort of information on apple's website made me a little nervous. That and because I'm seeing a demo tomorrow on FCP and may just get it.

Anyways, I was curious on the better of the two options. Buying a used editing system or putting the pieces together and building one myself. Meaning, buy a computer, get a capture card, software, etc..etc.

Enough of my crying. I have about 3k to work with and was looking at a FCP solution or Avid Express Pro solution. Since FCP appears to be solid, regardless of the version, how would that compare with Avid Express Pro?

LloydC
08-02-2007, 06:20 PM
I'm in the same rut... I ended going with the Macbook Pro + FCS 2.

For the price and level of software you get with FCS, the price is unbeatable, especially if you can get the educational discount. cuts it down by almost half price.

And Prores422 seems like a great codec to cut with. However, I'm using HDV so it's probably a completely different story with DVCPRO. FCP's workability with HDV was the big selling point for me... and the overall stability of Mac's (which can be of course be debated till the world implodes)

JasperReynolds
08-07-2007, 10:51 AM
Thanks again!

I ended up getting quotes for both solutions. The FCP one ran around 15k, while the other AVID one (Media Composer mind you) ran around 30k.

After seeing the demo's I still wasn't 100% sold on any, but made a decision..

Long story short, I have a full editing solution with a Mac Pro, FCP, Bella KB, 2x 23' HD monitors, 1 HD capture card, and external RAID storage for around 7k.

I've got to build it myself, and it tooks some time to link it all together, but more cost effective mind you. Amazing how a 3k budget goes to 7k in a blink of an eye. Man I love being a producer.

L8tr