View Full Version : Texture?
07-21-2007, 05:17 AM
I was wondering how to use a picture as a texture in 3ds max?
07-21-2007, 05:47 AM
* hit "m" on your keyboard This brings up the material editor
* click on any empty shpere (grey ball)
* open out the basic parameters roll out (2nd roll out) and right next to the diffuse colour click on the empty box, this should open up the material map browser.
* select Bitmap (double click)
* select bitmap(or any picture) file (this is your texture)
* play with settings such as tiling etc, filtering
* MAKE sure you have "Show map in Viewport" turned on, to do this simply click on the cube that is checkered white and blue, also there is another button that should look like an up arrow, this allows you to go "back to parent" i.e back to the grey ball you started with to make more material changes and settings such as bump mapping.
* open up the maps rollout, and simply drag and drop your bitmap from the diffuse slot onto the bump slot, then click "instance" this way any changes in the orginal texture will also occur in the bump map.
07-21-2007, 02:25 PM
Thanks. Is this the way I would go about texturing an object for camera mapping?
07-22-2007, 05:30 AM
yes, instead of applying a texture map, there is a "per pixel camera map" that you use instead, then you simply select the texture file and camera to project from, but you must set up the texture and camera first.
There should be some tutorials about google it :)
07-22-2007, 06:00 PM
Thanks. I found this tutorial,
but when it get to the Camera Map per Pixel part I get totally lost when it comes to choosing the texture.
07-22-2007, 06:16 PM
It is a bit confusing. This is my favorite tute on camera mapping BUT it is for C4D. However, maybe in reading it some of the concepts will help.
Modeling is the same for all programs. They change the names a bit but a box is a box, a spline, a nurbs, a mesh and so forth.
The tut may help or may even confuse you more I dont know.
Just skip over the stuff that talks about C4D and focus on the method.
It includes 2 .mov clips in the downloadable zip .
/In C4D when they say the color channel, its the diffuse channel in max.
The diffuse ch in C4D operats differently.
07-23-2007, 02:19 AM
Thank you. How would I get the texture on the inside of the sphere in Max?
07-23-2007, 08:18 AM
I think you need a 2-sided material.
Open the Material Editor.
Select an unused material slot.(Click one of the grey spheres)
Click the button that sais 'Standard' to open the Material Browser.
Make sure "New" is selected on the left side.
Double click "Double sided" from the list of types on the right.
You'll probably need a light inside as well.
07-23-2007, 12:22 PM
no, the "texture" is that actual photo that your mapping, hope that clears things up :)
07-23-2007, 09:20 PM
One last question. After selecting camera map per pixel and choosing the camera. You click the "texture" box. Now, what do I choose? Do I click Bitmap or select something else?
07-24-2007, 03:18 AM
Bitmap, but I'm sure you've figured that out already.