PDA

View Full Version : Lasso Tool Help Please

plainman007
07-13-2007, 04:40 AM
When i zoom into an image and start cutting using the Lasso tool. Once ive reached the edge of the screen i have great difficulty continuing the lasso because the remainder of the image is offscreen. Now when i move the tool towards that screen edge the image automatically scrolls but too fast. It goes away to one end. Then to the other and so on. Very tough to just pan slightly into the right or wherever i have to continue lassoing. Is there some key you can hold down etc or something to make those screen jumps a little slow and accurate. Thanks.

milksac
07-13-2007, 06:15 AM
Hold down the space bar, the icon will change to a hand. Drag the mouse to reveal more of the image and let go of the space bar to continue using the lasso tool. Depending on the shape of the object you're cutting out sometimes the path tool works better because you can go back and edit the path to refine the shape.

plainman007
07-13-2007, 11:35 AM
Hey Thanks Milksac,

But those path tools are a pain, they do funny things, at least when i tried them. I think you are reffering to the path tool that draws bezier lines right ?

milksac
07-13-2007, 02:20 PM
I think you are reffering to the path tool that draws bezier lines right ?
Yeah, it takes some getting used to, but once you get a feel for it's not that difficult. I'm looking forward to CS3. Some cool new tools like refine edges and smart selection.

Robbie Comeau
07-14-2007, 09:11 AM
spacebar is my number one helper when im zoomed in using the lasso, reall easy to get used to

Robbie Comeau
07-14-2007, 09:12 AM
spacebar is my number one helper

...well, after undo and redo of course

Fusion0
08-19-2007, 11:06 AM
Ever try using the pen tool? I liked it much better then the lasso and you don't have to worry about the sides as it can go on the gray.

d00d
09-06-2007, 05:41 AM
Yes, just like everyone said, I'm pretty sure the lasso tool is not meant for this type of application - making fine selections. Get to know the pen tool for sure.
Tips: Clicking creates straight lines, clicking and dragging creates curved
Hold cmd to quickly switch to the selection tool to revise handles, hold option to refine only on handle side.

USLatin
09-27-2007, 05:38 PM
great question! thanks for the answer!

...well, after undo and redo of course

Yup, those are hard to beat

dynamic01
11-12-2007, 04:51 PM
Yes, just like everyone said, I'm pretty sure the lasso tool is not meant for this type of application - making fine selections. Get to know the pen tool for sure.
Tips: Clicking creates straight lines, clicking and dragging creates curved
Hold cmd to quickly switch to the selection tool to revise handles, hold option to refine only on handle side.

yup you heard it from the man...lasso tool is pretty much useless when you have the polygonal one and the pen tool is far greater than that..

J.R. Hudson
11-12-2007, 04:53 PM
Adobe products are some of the more unintuitive I have ever used.