PDA

View Full Version : Religious/Atheist Documentary. (On Z1U) “Why We Believe”

VileKyle.Com
06-29-2007, 10:49 PM
A documentary on my search for god.

I have been working on this documentary since last fall. I wish to eventually make a feature out of it. It’s currently 10 Min. I hope you enjoy. I love to hear any advice on how to improve the video.

http://www.vilekyle.com/Documentary/Why%20We%20Believe/index.htm

Kevin Lee
06-30-2007, 10:01 AM
I enjoyed that Kyle. I would like to see more of opinions of people who do not believe, and why. However, it is nice as it stands. btw its a capital G bud.

TimurCivan
06-30-2007, 12:14 PM
religon is one of the things we refrain from speaking about on DVXuser. feel free to discuss the films technihcal merits, and the effect of the story, but as soon as any kind of confrontation begins, im shutting it down.

VileKyle.Com
07-01-2007, 05:01 PM
religon is one of the things we refrain from speaking about on DVXuser. feel free to discuss the films technihcal merits, and the effect of the story, but as soon as any kind of confrontation begins, im shutting it down.

I dont want it to become that either. could you just delete thoes post?

TimurCivan
07-01-2007, 06:18 PM
sure. :)

Drew Ott
07-01-2007, 08:19 PM
Looks real interesting.

I hope it does well.

iain.bason
07-03-2007, 10:28 AM
Interesting. The editing was mostly pretty good, and I thought that the music was appropriate. I'm not sure that the descriptions of hell needed to go on for so long. I got the general idea pretty quickly.

The cut at 6:20 seemed ill timed. You cut the subject off in the middle of a sentence. Was that intentional?

Although I like the shallow depth of field look, there were places where you lost focus (e.g., at 0:36 and 5:02) and others where the focus just looked soft (e.g., the scene starting at 0:33).

At 2:39, the off-camera question should have been re-recorded in post.

Have fun with this project. I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops.

VileKyle.Com
07-05-2007, 02:08 PM
Interesting. The editing was mostly pretty good, and I thought that the music was appropriate. I'm not sure that the descriptions of hell needed to go on for so long. I got the general idea pretty quickly.

The cut at 6:20 seemed ill timed. You cut the subject off in the middle of a sentence. Was that intentional?

Although I like the shallow depth of field look, there were places where you lost focus (e.g., at 0:36 and 5:02) and others where the focus just looked soft (e.g., the scene starting at 0:33).

At 2:39, the off-camera question should have been re-recorded in post.

Have fun with this project. I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops.

thnak you. this will help very much.

Jeff Anderson
07-06-2007, 07:33 AM
That was great! I'm usually not into religious docs but this was well shot and interesting. I'd definitely like to see the rest. Other than whats been mentioned technically, some of the titles are not title safe and get cropped off (played back on my 24" lcd through component). Keep up the good work.

Nathyn
07-07-2007, 10:37 PM
WOW.

-Nate

B-O-B
07-31-2007, 12:28 AM
That's some of the best "man on the street" footage I've seen. I loved it. The adapter really worked for you. I also really liked the way you milked the golden hour sunlight for your shots.

The lighting and composition of the interviews could be improved upon the next time around. I thought the best looking one was the anthropologist. It's sorta weird that your composition was so good with the run and gun stuff and lacked on the set shots. Just try to follow the "rule of thirds" a bit more. I know that art and rules seem to be opposing ideas, but this is one that can help. Also, at least bring a reflector, or a piece of foamcore with tinfoil on it, to direct some light to fill in the shadows in the "sockets?" of the eyes. The overhead florescent lighting is about inspiring on camera as it is in person.

It's a very intriguing and worthwhile subject. Hopefully, a sincere search will yield some satisfying answers. I wish you the best on it.

Knoxworth
07-31-2007, 01:47 AM
Kyle, really great job. I guess I'll have to email my personal beliefs and comments about the piece. Well done.

I had a similar experience in my own life where I not only thought about what I believed, but where I've been coming from believing it. This speaks for me during that time & presents the argument. Tactfully too.

STYLZ
07-31-2007, 05:35 AM
Wow you are definitely on the right track, only suggestion is to break up the monotony of the talking heads with maybe some b-roll of religious stuff. Jesus Statue, church, and mayabe some atheist b-roll(whatever that would be). It was straight talking heads, you need some breathing room, especially if you want to make this a feature. I thought this was definitely engaging though.

Knoxworth
07-31-2007, 05:59 AM
I never knew about James Watt. Sort of similar article: http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/rightsandfreedoms/a/canyonflood.htm

BOG
08-06-2007, 01:30 AM
Overall well done. Try to have the people you're interviewing not look at the camera. Some of them did. Also the shots appears at several different distances which I thought looked funny. Not sure I really liked the DOF look. I'm not sure the DOF look really belongs in a documentary.

These are just my opinions.

Tom Marshall
08-06-2007, 01:53 AM
No offense, but this seems to me like a 10 minute sermon with interviews with a bunch of Christian zealots. I don't see anything that challenges the viewer's beliefs or questions anything about what they're seeing. If that was your goal (to preach to the viewer), then you did fine. It that wasn't the goal, then you need to add quite a bit of material to challenge the opinions of the interviewed people. The only mention of atheism is about people who don't believe and why that's a bad thing.

I'm not trying to start a theological debate. I'm trying to help you improve the video so that it's more interesting to watch. :)

pest22o
08-06-2007, 07:03 AM
No offense, but this seems to me like a 10 minute sermon with interviews with a bunch of Christian zealots. I don't see anything that challenges the viewer's beliefs or questions anything about what they're seeing. If that was your goal (to preach to the viewer), then you did fine. It that wasn't the goal, then you need to add quite a bit of material to challenge the opinions of the interviewed people. The only mention of atheism is about people who don't believe and why that's a bad thing.

I'm not trying to start a theological debate. I'm trying to help you improve the video so that it's more interesting to watch. :)

I dont think you got the film. In the end it seems more like he was for atheism. Most of the film has interviews with athiests with acredited backgrounds while all the believers are just a bunch of kids or that guy on the street preaching. I think instead of interviewing random believers he should have done some interviews with some beleivers hat have some sort of scientific background such as quantum physicists. It would seem alot more intresting if he showed a true debate with both parties scientieficly trying to prove there point. but that's just my opionion. but I liked it over all. My problem is, I hate one sided docs; I like to see both sides of the story then base my opinion on the facts given by both sides.

Anhar Miah
08-06-2007, 08:53 AM
I dont think you got the film. In the end it seems more like he was for atheism. Most of the film has interviews with athiests with acredited backgrounds while all the believers are just a bunch of kids or that guy on the street preaching. I think instead of interviewing random believers he should have done some interviews with some beleivers hat have some sort of scientific background such as quantum physicists. It would seem alot more intresting if he showed a true debate with both parties scientieficly trying to prove there point. but that's just my opionion. but I liked it over all. My problem is, I hate one sided docs; I like to see both sides of the story then base my opinion on the facts given by both sides.

Ditto, thats exactly how I feel it should be. Show both sides of the equation and let the viewer drawn his/her own conclusions.

milksac
08-06-2007, 11:35 AM
Tim,
If you take a look at the film as well as the site Kyle is clearly preaching his atheist beliefs. IMHO, preaching athiest beliefs has no more of a place on this site than preaching the beliefs of any other religion. If the mods are going to censor threads about religion - a film that is critial of religion should be censored as well. See the heading "Fight the Delusion" on Kyles site.

http://www.vilekyle.com/Fight%20The%20Delusion.htm

This is hardly an open discussion that looks at both sides of the "Why we Believe" question. It's a thinly veiled monologue that preaches atheism. Rather than deleting individual posts you should delete the entire thread. Shut it down.

TimurCivan
08-06-2007, 12:56 PM
Ok...... thats it then.

sorry man.