PDA

View Full Version : Some more Footage from the HPX

hopalongmedia
06-24-2007, 05:01 PM
We borrowed the HPX 500 from our local dealer the other day to try it out. We used it side by side with our HVX with a redrock. I've posted some low rez samples of footage on our site.

The link is here:

http://www.halflifedigital.com/hdx500a.html

I'm sorry they aren't high rez, I just don't really have the time to deal with it and I don't want our site to get too swamped.

These clips were shot in 1080pa axcept for the dolly shot which is 720 60p.
The lens was not a cheaper CA one, but one of the higher end Canon HD lenses. I do notice some CA on the dolly shot. Not sure why since I'm supposedly not supposed to with a high end HD lens. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Beyond that, being a shop with 2 HVXs, I think this camera will make a great addition to our arsenal. I think I'll buy it with the nicer HD lens. We are actuallya planning to pick up a RED next year, but this guy will fill in the holes while we wait. I figure the nicer ENG/EFP HD lens can then be used on RED in windowed mode.

I really like the pictures from this camera. We shoot with the HDX 900 aslo, and the colors on this guy are noticeably more vibrant. The pictures are worlds ahead of the HVX in clarity and the lattitude is also noticeably better with the 2/3" chips.

I can't really stand the Black and white VF, I'd appreciate any suggestions for something with color. Also, I find the focus assist to be less than ideal. (as you can probably tell by my creative racking.)

In general though, for the price point with all the HD features and the comments of "nice camera" from the client, I'd say this guy will be well worth it.

cheers,

David

Jim Brennan
06-24-2007, 07:38 PM
So all of those were the HPX? And you were using the Redrock on the HVX, correct?

Nice clips.

hopalongmedia
06-24-2007, 08:33 PM
All Hpx, sorry to be unclear. The redrock was on one of our HXVs and is not represented here.

Jim Brennan
06-24-2007, 08:50 PM
Excellent. One of the reasons I am considering the extra cash for the HPX over the HVX is the DOF.

Which Canon lens were you using?

Antoine_Fabi
06-24-2007, 10:53 PM
Very nice looking images.

I would never risk to undercut footage from my HVX with this...oh man...

Way too much difference. The gradients looks very smooth.

Extremely rich and smooth looking.

Nice job!

BTW i'll shoot a 30 sec commercial next week with the HPX500.

Can't wait.

hopalongmedia
06-25-2007, 07:35 AM
Sorry, I didn't look at the specific model of lens. It was a "high end" HD lens. According to the dealer it's in the $20k street range.

Does anybody notice the chromatic abberation on the dolly shot? I'm wondering why I'm seeing this with such a nice lens. Any thoughts?

Antoine_Fabi
06-25-2007, 12:14 PM
Honestly, i have yet to see a HD image without "any" CA.

This one is not disturbing at all though.

Jim Brennan
06-25-2007, 01:59 PM
Can someone please explain CA and CAC lenses to me? Barry tried at NAB, but my brain was pretty fried by then.

ddh
06-28-2007, 05:55 PM
Excellent. One of the reasons I am considering the extra cash for the HPX over the HVX is the DOF.

Which Canon lens were you using?

Excellent DOF! The HPX 500 is a very nice cam!

Noel Evans
06-29-2007, 02:08 AM
Yes indeed it is. I have a few jobs booked for the HPX. My rental company is loving me. And best of all these all go to (minus cost of living, savings, etc) go toward paying for whatever cam I end up with at the end of the year. SO the HPX is paying me so to speak. Truth be told I would normally rent XD Cam - so it's hard to say that for sure, but Ive scraped that from rentals - 4 x 16gb p2 cards anyone?

As you mentioned in the other thread ddh - Kaku has one. Hmmm wonder if its his and he is doing rentals? Have to ask him.

FREUDENBERG_FILMS
08-11-2007, 05:20 PM
Is it just me or does that guy with the Ducati have a cheesie grin from the bike or the camera?