PDA

View Full Version : Lense Filter to make one look 21 again

CarySabanty
06-16-2007, 07:26 AM
Ok
I'am asking for a bit much. We are setting up a studio with our DVX-100B and an ARRI light kit to shot "talking head portraits."
Looking for info on lenses filters that would soften faces a little.
Thanks

Christopher Barry
06-16-2007, 08:10 AM
You could try something like a Promist (http://www.tiffen.com/promist.htm) lens filter. Unlike the intense samples, I use a Black Promist 1/2 (half) and am considering just a 1/4. You may need more though. There is always filters you can apply in post, such as a Magic Bullet for Editors or a blurred duplicated layer above in the timeline, that is semi-transparent, or then there is a glow filter, etc. Use of matte/masks in your NLE or compositing app will allow you to apply a filter selectively to those problem spots. :beer:

CarySabanty
06-16-2007, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the info.
I'm on Tiffen's site and Amazon. What size fits the DVX?

Capt Quirk
06-16-2007, 10:11 AM
I suppose it depends on how far from 21 the subject is. Someone once joked about having to shoot Sybil Shepard through a mayonaise jar.

Oh- there is also something called a Dibbi Net, that is pretty simply sheer silk.

ryan brown
06-16-2007, 11:00 AM
What size fits the DVX?

72mm

Although, I'd have to agree and say you'll be able to get better results in post than with just a filter.

Do you have After Effects? that'd be the way to go. There's even free tutorials on how to acomplish exactly what you're after.

-brown