PDA

View Full Version : High Def Hard Drive Camcorders??

stigkam
06-16-2007, 02:08 AM
3 years ago, I bought the first Generation prosumer Camcorder. a JCV HD-1. It cost me 3700 bucks (USD) new. I hardly use it now. I only use it for video taping my kids. I was at Best Buy the other day and saw a HD camera with a 60gig HD. it had 3CCD and said it was true High Definition. Mine is only a 1080i and has a very high lux reading of 30. Basically there is a lot of light noise in low lit areas. I know camcorders are coming down in price now, just wondering if anyone has this camera (I don't remember the model) and if it works pretty good for making short films. I kind of wish I saved my money but when I saw it, I really wanted it bad. They sell the same camera now at Fry's Electronic for 1500 bucks. It has a lot of bells and whistles like 24fps but that is only in standard mode (720).

The HDD camcorder i saw at Best Buys was only 1600 bucks. Says in High Definition you could record up to 6 hours of video. My HD1 records in Mpeg2. If I get good lighting, the video comes out beautiful but it's a pain in the butt to burn to DVD. I Use vegas6 to convert the video since it records in mt2 format.

HBlack
08-04-2007, 07:26 PM
If you don't know the model of the camera, it's going to be extremely difficult for anyone to tell you what it's like, or determine if they even own it.

Anything can work well for short film making. I'm using a $600 SD DV camera with decent results. What exactly are you asking aobut the camera?

BOG
08-06-2007, 01:51 AM
Stay away from HD cameras with built in hard drives unless you know what you're getting into. That 6 hours is not true HD. And where are you going to archive your HD footage at? On hard drives? You better go to Best Buy and purchase a couple 500 gig hard drives. Like 10 of them. True HD take up a LOT of space.

Tapes is still the way to go for the average consumer.